As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Earth Defense Force 2025: Out Now!

123457»

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    IA definitely had more useful vehicles, but on Inferno using a vehicle was just a way to shrug off a few hits, they were tuned too weak.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    That's really my only problem with them. They should have stayed the ace in the hole that they were in lower difficulties. That's really how I look at vehicles in most games. The equalizer to an overwhelming situation.

• BlainBlain Registered User regular
    Something like this?

Army-of-Darkness-a.jpg

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So I tried out the Wing Diver class recently and it is a lot of fun. They are a bit weak in the armor to start, but given there is no armor cap, that can be overcome in time. They play very differently from the Ranger and their weapons feel pretty powerful.

I also tried out the Fencer and I had a hard time getting into it. Does anyone have some tips for making the Fencer more enjoyable to play?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    So I tried out the Wing Diver class recently and it is a lot of fun. They are a bit weak in the armor to start, but given there is no armor cap, that can be overcome in time. They play very differently from the Ranger and their weapons feel pretty powerful.

I also tried out the Fencer and I had a hard time getting into it. Does anyone have some tips for making the Fencer more enjoyable to play?

I do!

Fencer's a bit tricky to start. The key thing is to always keep a melee weapon around so you can dash instead of walking. And maybe some artillery that lets you superjump. Later, you'll want to learn to dash cancel for better movement (and the Javelin Storm is surprisingly badass for that job), but at first regular dashing should work for you. Gets movement up to a respectable pace.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Armor pickups for the Wing Diver count for only half as much as the Ranger and Air Raider. It takes forever to build up your HP.:
    The HP growth for each character class varies a bit, with Wingdivers being the slowest and Fencers being the fastest.

This is the amount of actual HP you get per piece of armor you pick up:

Fencer 0.58
    Ranger/ Air Raider 0.464
    Wingdiver 0.232

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684232-earth-defense-force-2025/68610978

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    HOLY CRAP

Earth Defense Force 4.1 is out in... maybe a week? I can't really find a solid release date.

BUT CRAZY SOON

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Sadly, it's PS4 only so at best I can only muster a shrug.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited December 2015
    Played it last night and it's good. Real good.

But they actually have lighting in the game now so when you go down into the tunnels everything is pitch black except for your helmet light and when a spider suddenly crawsl out of the darkness at you, you will absolutely make all the poops.

it is goddamn terrifying

Magic Pink on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

But they actually have lighting in the game now so when you go down into the tunnels everything is pitch black except for your helmet light and when a spider suddenly crawsl out of the darkness at you, you will absolutely make all the poops.

it is goddamn terrifying

How are Fencers in 4.1? Changed at all?
    I've always found the Fencers to be kind of high-maintenance in that just trying to play through the game with them always feels... suboptimal? Without either really lucky drops or intense grinding, just going from one level to the next with them seems much harder than with the other classes, and applying that same level of grinding to the other classes just leads to yet better results. Fencers have higher health growth, but having four times as much health doesn't matter when a higher difficulty spider shotguns web in your face. There's a slight novelty to feeling like a walking turret when firing the miniguns, but that quickly gets overtaken with me feeling that the gun has poor accuracy, not that great DPS, makes me more vulnerable to attack due to reduced movespeed, and takes forever to reload.

Fencers with the Javelin launchers and targeted missiles are still great fun, but it definitely makes me feel like a support tower than a tank.

I've read that there's a system change where you can recover from ragdoll state much much earlier. How does this work/feel, and does it affect how long you get chewed on by the red ants/dragons/etc?

I'm still buying it, regardless. I just want to know how enthused I should be.
    EDF! EDF!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

it is goddamn terrifying

I've always found the Fencers to be kind of high-maintenance in that just trying to play through the game with them always feels... suboptimal? Without either really lucky drops or intense grinding, just going from one level to the next with them seems much harder than with the other classes, and applying that same level of grinding to the other classes just leads to yet better results. Fencers have higher health growth, but having four times as much health doesn't matter when a higher difficulty spider shotguns web in your face. There's a slight novelty to feeling like a walking turret when firing the miniguns, but that quickly gets overtaken with me feeling that the gun has poor accuracy, not that great DPS, makes me more vulnerable to attack due to reduced movespeed, and takes forever to reload.

Fencers with the Javelin launchers and targeted missiles are still great fun, but it definitely makes me feel like a support tower than a tank.

I've read that there's a system change where you can recover from ragdoll state much much earlier. How does this work/feel, and does it affect how long you get chewed on by the red ants/dragons/etc?

EDF! EDF!

The class from Insect Armageddon that was like Fencer was the best. They should make it more like that.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

it is goddamn terrifying

EDF! EDF!

The class from Insect Armageddon that was like Fencer was the best. They should make it more like that.

Him being the best felt to me hugely a function of how he isn't as hamstrung as the Fencer in 4 in mobility and reload time. It's like they pre-emptively gave Fencer in 4 huge nerfs to the extent that playing solo with him is even less fun and even more difficult than playing as Air Raider, and Air Raider is supposed to be the support class! Fencer in 4 can do more with the two dual loadouts and weapons that give movement options, but just getting around as Fencer is so miserable, and I always feel so vulnerable.

On the other hand, Wing Diver is a heckuva lot better in 4 than in Insect Armageddon.

Random wish: that the web from Air Raider's web gun would deal damage to any enemy that touches it, just like spider web does to you and your teammates.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    I only ever play Rangers so I have no idea. I did try the flying ladies once and they were pretty fun, LOVE the mobility on them.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    If you can still dash cancel, then Fencer will still be the fastest class in the game. It does limit part of your weapon load out, and it is more work than just walking, but you can't argue with non stop dashing.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    If you can still dash cancel, then Fencer will still be the fastest class in the game. It does limit part of your weapon load out, and it is more work than just walking, but you can't argue with non stop dashing.

So fast.

So hard on the trigger finger.

Fortunately, I managed to find not-crap weapons that enabled a good dash cancel, so the slots weren't wasted, and I still had room for a huge rifle.

I only ever play Rangers so I have no idea. I did try the flying ladies once and they were pretty fun, LOVE the mobility on them.

I played the flying ladies because it killed me to leave dozens of weapon and armor pickups lying around at mission's end. It would be a huge quality of life improvement for me if the game just scooped them up for you at the end.

Orogogus wrote: »

I played the flying ladies because it killed me to leave dozens of weapon and armor pickups lying around at mission's end. It would be a huge quality of life improvement for me if the game just scooped them up for you at the end.

holy crap I would love that

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

But then how would you get the feeling of sprinting forward to desperately try to get a weapons box and having the MISSION COMPLETE screen come up just before you reach it?

(twitch)