As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best of 2015: A Graphic Violence Awards Extravaganza

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
As promised, we're going to do an end-of-year Poll Extravaganza this year. I have a basic idea of how things are going to be set up for this year, but for right now, consider this a place to discuss the year in comics, and discuss some possible categories you might like to see. It's going to be slightly different from how the GV10 stuff worked, given that we're working with, you know, one year's worth of comics instead of ten.

Tentative schedule so far is to keep this open for about a week or so, and then open up nominations, and leave them open until right before the new year. I'm aiming for voting to start on January 4th. I'm aware that comics are still coming out, and I want to leave some room for as many comics to come out as I can before I close nominations, and I'm also aware that the holidays are a pretty busy time, and want to give as many people a chance to vote as I can, so we'll wait until most of that is over before we kick things off for realz.

Anyways:

CATEGORIES

(These categories are subject to change, pending feedback, and I'm definitely open to adding more)
  1. Best Marvel Comic
  2. Best DC Comic
  3. Best Other Comic (name subject to change)
  4. Best Licensed Comic
  5. Best Writer
  6. Best Penciler
  7. Best Colorer
  8. Best Cover Artist
  9. Best Single Issue
  10. Best Story Arc
  11. Publisher of the Year
  12. Best New Comic
  13. Best New Character

And again, I want to emphasize that this list is not final, nor is it meant to be all-encompassing.

Couple of important rules for this process: this is meant to be fun. I don't plan on doing any "worst comics" awards, because I don't think those are particularly fun, and I don't really want to have those discussions. Most of all, remember to keep this as civil as you can. The GV10 stuff went really well, and I'd love it if we could make this an annual event.

Have fun!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    How about worst co
    I don't plan on doing any "worst comics" awards, because I don't think those are particularly fun, and I don't really want to have those discussions.

Welp, I don't have any ideas.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Maybe a best Panel and or splash page?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see a Best Creative Team and maybe a Best Online Comic poll.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Best Other Comic (name subject to change)

May be my personal bias, but could we add Best Image Comic as a seperate subject, because I feel it'd dominate Best Other, leaving little room for smaller publishers, and Image has had enough great titles and talent to stand on its own as a category.

Edit: and how would people feel about a "Most Missed Comic" (which ongoing comic cancelled/ended in 2015 will you miss the most), or do you think that's too negative?

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Best Comic TV Show should be a category, there's some stiff competition this year.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I think Image are strong enough to merit their own best comic category.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I've been following the Comics Alliance best-of polls, and I really enjoyed mulling over Best Performance in a Comic Adaptation and Character Most In Need Of A Solo Title.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Most Missed Comic (comic that got cancelled that you miss)
    Most Missed Comic (hidden gem that most people overlooked)

I'm in favor of Best Image Comic as a separate category; I've had a hard time restraining myself from grabbing every Image comic for a couple of years, now.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Maybe a best Panel and or splash page?

I feel this is probably best narrowed down to something like "Best Moment"
    Matev wrote: »
    Best Comic TV Show should be a category, there's some stiff competition this year.

Yeah, that was an oversight. It'll be in.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Image are strong enough to merit their own best comic category.

Sure, makes sense.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was thinking that best comic movie would be pointless as it'd just be people decided which they liked better, Ant-Man or Age of Ultron, but there were actually a bunch of animated DC movies out this year, plus a couple of other films.

List of 2015 films based on comic properties (according to wikipedia)
    Ant-Man
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
    Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
    Batman vs. Robin
    The Diary of a Teenage Girl
    Fantastic Four
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters
    Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League
    Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom
    Kingsman: The Secret Service