As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join The [Helldivers] And Fight For Super Earth!

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Special thanks to @NotoriusBEN for showing me the ropes last night and helping me spread Managed Democracy™ to our friends on the bug homeworld and teaching Freedom to our cyborg neighbors.

Hopefully the dlc will go on sale some time soon so I can pick up a few of the cool toys there to round out my kit.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    The PS4 version's matchmaking was shit for the first few months, so no doubt everyone dropped off. Hopefully that is resolved, because I am all in again.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Matchmaking was rock solid last night playing with NotoriousBen, it seemed. SOS beacon reliably pulled people in.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I can confirm that the troopers will shout "For the Emperor!" if you use the LasCarbine "Sickle"

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Is there any way to remove the burst-fire from the paladin? I grabbed it because I wanted the armor piercing mod but I can't find any way to turn it off. I would much prefer it as a semi-auto.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Just a PSA: There's some hackers out there who can really suck the fun out of playing the game. Doing stuff like giving people a shitload of research samples/points (which negates the just-one-more bait for upgrading your stuff) to being flat out invincible except for having a pod land on their head and one-shotting everything.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah there were some shitty people doing that on PS, as well. If you see anything suspicious like that, either back out of the game yourself or kick them if you're the host. They can't actually do anything like give you samples unless you finish a game with them in it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Anyone want to help me take on some of the faction bosses? Never fought those, looks interesting.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Gimme a shout over Steam if I'm online at the same time, Frei. I'll come join in.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    holy shit my faith in EAT-17s is fully restored. Sure they are fire and forget, but they are a constant supply of Anti-armor that is sorely needed for 9+ cyborg helldives.
    Sure, the recoiless and other AT options are 'better' but if you die, you lose them and if you leave the area, you risk despawns and just not even finding it again amidst all the cyborg chaos.

Just call in another EAT-17 drop and boom, 2 more AT rounds.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, EATs are my go-to for spamming anti-tank weapons, though I'm starting to become a lot more partial for a combination of Airstrikes and Thunderer Barrage/Railgun or maybe even the Vindicator bunker busters because like the EATs, those are just a stratagem call away and they have the advantage I can drop them immediately when I respawn instead of scrambling to pick up the weapon. And I also keep the secondary weapon slot open for other stuff. Although, having an EAT ready and just going NOPE to a freshly popped down APC is glorious.

Not all the Cyborg heavy units require anti-tank weapons. Only the Overlords and the APCs. You can take down the more common Hulks with a single Heavy (1 upgrade) Airstrike which leaves you with proper anti-tanks for... tanks.

A good team with the standard recoiless and assisted reload is so much more powerful though... being able to gib armour even at a glancing angle is priceless and being able to rapid fire it as well...

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    yea, a good recoiless team is worth its weight in gold, but those are few and far between.
    but I've gotten everything i need from the cyborgs now, so i can enjoy the 6 to 8 range without all the bullshit tank spawns.
    On my shredder run, a guy dropped an HAV at the final leg to the LZ. In two minutes I killed like... 30 tanks/apcs along with whatever amount of heavy troopers.
    I almost couldn't chamber a round fast enough those spawns were so fast.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    holy crap. it took 21 days to shoot 1.04 trillion rounds...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Haha yeah, I love the statistics in the ticker. They're just so completely insane, especially considering the playerbase for the game isn't absolutely huge or anything.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Got the PS4 Helldivers Super-Earth Ultimate Edition before Christmas to try out the local multiplayer and it's all we've been playing since. I was able to get a couple folks to come over more often and I haven't had this much fun with local multiplayer since Goldeneye 64 and Mario Kart 64. One guy was always mixing up L1 and L2, which was hilarious when shouts of 'I'll save you guys' ended with him blowing up himself with a grenade. We've made it to being able to do 6 and 7 missions pretty routinely, with some 8-9 missions with a few restarts.

One of the bigger strategies we worked out was the Retaliatory Strike missions, with myself dropping a turret, jetpack, and healgun, while the other 2 got in the tank. Squishing all the bugs while shooting the armored ones worked out great and with me tucked behind the turret, I only got FF'd once or twice haha. Throwing out some barbed wire helped as well.

However we tried to take on the boss bug and ended up just quitting. It just seemed too much, it could take out any vehicles without issue. When we did land 4-5 AT shots from the tank it only took down a sliver of life. I read someone killed it but it took 25 minutes. For us that took it from fun to boring and frustrating.

The only other complaint we had (unless we missed it) was to change the color of our helldivers. We could change equipment and our names were color coded, but it would have been great to color code the helldivers themselves as they are all mostly yellow trimmed and in the heat of battle, anything to help identify my character would help. Also allowing us to hold on the stratagem ball while jetpacking would be nice and make for some fun run and air strike combos haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I'm just going to bump this up since we've been talking about helldivers 2 in the playstation thread;

patch just dropped for steam at least that appears to fix matchmaking, wooo

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 9
    matchmaking i would say not really fixed

dced halfway through a 30min quickplay game, can't reconnect to lobby, all progress lost

another one crashed to desktop, same story

if you teamkill people in the shuttle as they extract you deny them xp btw

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Game is incredibly fun, but I've been harassed pretty steadily by freezes and crashing. When I get into a game, it cruises beautifully, and all my problems seem to be in the transitional states.

I think one of the things I enjoy the most about this dumb, Starship-Troopers-esque world they've built is that it readily enfolds all player behavior. Folks do teamwork, use tactics, plan and strategize? Lore accurate. Folks scatter to the four winds, clearly having no idea what they're doing, dying alone and lost on an alien, bug-infested steppe? Lore accurate. Someone holds down the trigger to their machine gun and sweeps a grand arc of death and gore across the landscape, leaving a pulpy, steaming mass littering the ground made up of mutilated enemies and also the bullet-ridden remains of their own teammates? Lore accurate.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    played with randoms, went pretty good until the 2nd last objective when the randos lost focus and started wandering around just attacking everything and anything. it was like herding kittens.

we extracted but it was messy, with a good group on voice this could be amazing.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 9
    3a1hs1qqr56i.png

some call me an innovator in the field of war crimes

5576x423hfrr.png

HES AT IT AGAIN

how to escape any situation:

https://medal.tv/games/helldivers-2/clips/1U8CBojh5Tls6E/25UAic37npWM?mobilebypass=true

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    pt6w3iuzgwf1.png

i mean that does sound like an improvement

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    You know Helldivers is back when I'm loudly concerned about the placement of a turret by my teammate, who says it is fine and is then mowed down 5 seconds later by that very turret.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You know Helldivers is back when I'm loudly concerned about the placement of a turret by my teammate, who says it is fine and is then mowed down 5 seconds later by that very turret.

Actual Quote from team chat:

"I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PLACEMENT OF THAT MINEFIELD,"

[Guy who put the minefield down] "it has no answers"

• Options
    If i had a nickel for every time i've been popping bugs w/ the marksman rifle only to have an ally backpedal into my line of fire for a perfect insta-kill headshot.... :(

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    OK. so sell me on Helldivers 2 , gameplay loop looks good but I want to know about stuff like monetization, grind, customization etc.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm honestly back and forth on the game right now: if you get a good crew that isn't treating their Strategems like grenades and don't feel the need to constantly have twitchy movement when engaged in gunplay (and thus running right into your shots), the game is good. I can definitely see it becoming repetitive when you start bothering upgrading your ship (which is essentially your character, with Ship Modules and Strategem unlocks) but for quick pop-in and out gameplay - it does hit the mark.

. . .speaking of mines though, you really want a squad that knows how to open their mouths: I kept dying because I hadn't seen the Mine Robot and didn't know why my teammate kept killing me. I feel like there needs to be a bit more feedback on some of this stuff because I legit couldn't see anything on the ground and the game spawned me right in between the minefield and enemies (with my team behind the mines).
    darkmayo wrote: »
    OK. so sell me on Helldivers 2 , gameplay loop looks good but I want to know about stuff like monetization, grind, customization etc.

In terms of gameplay (including progression) it is Deep Rock Galactic without the classes.

In terms of monetization, it is "fair" but cooler weapons are locked behind a premium "Battlepass": the fairness comes from the BP not being timed to a season to trade on player FOMO and able to be unlocked through Super Credits earned in the game. According to developers every mission you should be able to get 10 to 40 SC's; the premium Warbond costs 750 SC's. The difficulty is in finding them as enemies respawn so it does become a bit of a game of attrition depending on how your squad is playing. I'm not sure the exact time, but - if you simply do not want to buy the premium Warbond - you can grind out the cost through playing the game and grinding the free Warbond (which, currently, has more stuff than the premium one, just not as cool).

In terms of long-term content, I do not know if all future Warbonds will be premium or if they will drop more free ones (I would imagine so, just not on the same cadence). There's no way you're filling out the free one anytime soon though.

Customization is in Helmets, Armor and Capes, all of which have the potential to have gameplay impact (so far only seen it on armor though). You can further "customize" your ship, but that's less customization and more "This is the real grind." And you are going to be grinding (just like in DRG; at least its not split over multiple characters).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The grind so far and business model seems more than fair.

Provided Warbonds escalate with difficulty and future content isn't all premium battlepacks it's hard to complain.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I think they've said that all warbonds/battlepasses will always be available, so there's no fomo bullshit.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    I'm not a huge fan of how some items are exclusive to the premium battlepass atm (incendiary grenade and one of the reinforcement boosters i believe) but so far there seems to be few of those. None and cosmetics only in the premium would have been better but eh could be worse. they do give enough f currency in the battlepass you can get the ppremium one for like, 2$ though

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Nice to hear that there is no Fomo, that is one reason why I stopped playing so many games.

I dont have a crew to play with so I assume there is a quickplay matchmaking, queue for group on missions etc?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Quickplay is present but it doesn't auto-slot you back into the matchmaking if the first attempt fails, which has been annoying.

• Options
    I'm pumped that the steam reviews seem to be leveling out toward positive. I saw they put out another hotfix today. As much as I really want to jump in and try it out, I think I'll wait a couple more weeks at least to let them do some more patching.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The grind so far and business model seems more than fair.

Provided Warbonds escalate with difficulty and future content isn't all premium battlepacks it's hard to complain.

They do

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 9
    killed a bile titan by falling on it

https://medal.tv/games/helldivers-2/clips/1UdkuKL6UaLBMO/d1337m47Y987?invite=cr-MSxpUzIsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA

it also turns out you can stick stratagem balls to enemies if you hit a fleshy bit, which allowed me to construct the perfect walking war crime: a 380mm he barrage + another orbital on a charger walking into my team

https://medal.tv/games/helldivers-2/clips/1UeDhq0Y6m9sa0/d1337NKEBBSY?invite=cr-MSxMdncsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA

and killed a bile titan by triggering traitor detection and lying down underneath it

https://medal.tv/games/helldivers-2/clips/1Uc7ws22vM9Ob_/d1337qL1yeRf?invite=cr-MSw1T2UsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The SES Ombudsman of Science is reporting for duty!

I don’t know how Friend Codes work in this (are they generated every time you boot?) but currently I am #9920-1510
    I’m on PS5 as Hahnsoo

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Game is fucking great, I'm on PS5 as Renzomaru

Join me on the SES Custodian of Family Values

Like, later, I'm not playing right this second.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Seems to be a lot of positive buzz around this. Been watching some Twitch streams. I have to say I really like the tongue in cheek quasi-Warhammer 40K / Starship Troopers vibes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Well this is annoying. Now the game won't start after this update. All related to the anti-cheat of course. Game really needed an open-beta.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    i just quick played into a dude from the us who had an open mic with his young kid on mic in the background just freaking out about everything that was happening

it was just us and eventually he went down and the kids excited narration was very inspirational he found the blobby bugs with the bloated abdomens super scary

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of positive buzz around this. Been watching some Twitch streams. I have to say I really like the tongue in cheek quasi-Warhammer 40K / Starship Troopers vibes.

Did you play the first one? They do a great job with the theme.

This discussion has been closed.