As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Oh my god, Dean's sweater.

-edit-

Ok, this episode is unexpectedly heart breaking

Regina Fong on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    For a total filler episode, it was actually pretty good. Always like when they dig into Sam and Dean's past.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Oh and fuck yeah
    Lucifer (Mark Pellegrino) is back!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    For a total filler episode, it was actually pretty good. Always like when they dig into Sam and Dean's past.

Whenever they flashback to Sam or Dean's miserable fucked up childhoods it punches me right in the feels. No matter how many times they've trodden over that ground its still effective, for me at least.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I feel like Season 11 has been pretty good so far overall. They still need to stick the landing, but they're doing a pretty good job.

Though I also really liked Season 10.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I found something amusing, I figured the Supernatural thread might get a chuckle from it
    bz7dyJC.jpg

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So, midseason finale. That...uh...that actually might be the best directed (and possibly best overall) episode in ages.

Let me get one annoyance out of the way:
    GodDAMMIT, Sam is actually right there, at the Cage, for a large part of the episode, and there's absolutely no reference to Adam/Michael, who last we heard was also stuck in the Cage. I swear, if they never resolve that....

And now the good:
    Mark Pellegrino is just so much fun to watch. Every scene with him was entertaining. If Lucifer finds a way to spring from the Cage, I want it to be him, not another actor.

There were some really nice shots in this episode, including a bunch of the stuff with Lucifer and the Cage. Like that shot of him in the dark with glowing eyes.

Seeing Amara get emotional was interesting. I couldn't quite tell where they were going with her. At one point it definitely seemed like they were unfolding a twist where she's just misunderstood and the real threat would be Lucifer (and the more they talked about the visions being from God, the more I was sure they weren't). And maybe they are doing that? But Amara still seemed sort of in need of stopping, so...I don't know.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    So, midseason finale. That...uh...that actually might be the best directed (and possibly best overall) episode in ages.

Let me get one annoyance out of the way:
    GodDAMMIT, Sam is actually right there, at the Cage, for a large part of the episode, and there's absolutely no reference to Adam/Michael, who last we heard was also stuck in the Cage. I swear, if they never resolve that....

And now the good:
    Mark Pellegrino is just so much fun to watch. Every scene with him was entertaining. If Lucifer finds a way to spring from the Cage, I want it to be him, not another actor.

There were some really nice shots in this episode, including a bunch of the stuff with Lucifer and the Cage. Like that shot of him in the dark with glowing eyes.

Seeing Amara get emotional was interesting. I couldn't quite tell where they were going with her. At one point it definitely seemed like they were unfolding a twist where she's just misunderstood and the real threat would be Lucifer (and the more they talked about the visions being from God, the more I was sure they weren't). And maybe they are doing that? But Amara still seemed sort of in need of stopping, so...I don't know.
    For all we know Lucifer is the only one left in the cage. There was never anything stated that he couldn't kill Michael/Adam, and neither of them are in their perfect vessel so to me there's no reason that lucifer couldn't have just simply taken him out of the picture permanently.

I LOVED Rowina getting all dreamy eyed at Lucifer and calling him an Alpha. Pellegrino was really selling it too. I like his interactions with Crowley like even he, Lucifer, wouldn't trust him.

Fantastic mid season finale, and I'm calling it now that the series finale, if not the season finale, will come down to Sam and Dean fighting to the death. Dean's going to protect the Darkness.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    For all we know Lucifer is the only one left in the cage. There was never anything stated that he couldn't kill Michael/Adam, and neither of them are in their perfect vessel so to me there's no reason that lucifer couldn't have just simply taken him out of the picture permanently.

I LOVED Rowina getting all dreamy eyed at Lucifer and calling him an Alpha. Pellegrino was really selling it too. I like his interactions with Crowley like even he, Lucifer, wouldn't trust him.

Fantastic mid season finale, and I'm calling it now that the series finale, if not the season finale, will come down to Sam and Dean fighting to the death. Dean's going to protect the Darkness.
    That's true, but I think it's beside the point. The point is that it should be addressed.

I did also like
    Rowena being all smitten with Lucifer. And I'm still not sure whether she intentionally sabotaged things or not. Was that Lucifer and Crowley's first onscreen interaction? I don't remember them actually meeting back in season five. It was another very cool moment in the episode.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That single tear, oh my Darkness...

That's true, but I think it's beside the point. The point is that it should be addressed.

I did also like
    Rowena being all smitten with Lucifer. And I'm still not sure whether she intentionally sabotaged things or not. Was that Lucifer and Crowley's first onscreen interaction? I don't remember them actually meeting back in season five. It was another very cool moment in the episode.
    I think Rowena did it intentionally, and probably by Lucifer's command. Lucifer mentioned that the cracks in his cage let him reach out - who says he only every communicated with Sam? Rowina could have been playing them the whole time based on Lucifer's instructions, knowing that Sam would have to come to her for help getting to the cage, putting on an act like she'd never had contact with Lucifer before.

H9f4bVe.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah Rowena had nothing to lose. She was a prisoner at that point.
    and both parties tried to backstab her after their previous deal even if she was backstabbing them. There's no reason not to pull the pin on the grenade.

edit:
    I thought the turn was kind of obvious, it was either Lucifer, chuck, or metatron. I thought the series is pretty clear on the traditional idea that god can't talk to people and does it through angels/supernatural mouthpieces. The idea that G was talking to Sam directly/indirectly is kind of weird when his visions weren't like Chucks. I had money on metatron with powers again but didnt want it to be.

I'm happy with who it turned out to be.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    and both parties tried to backstab her after their previous deal even if she was backstabbing them. There's no reason not to pull the pin on the grenade.

edit:
    I thought the turn was kind of obvious, it was either Lucifer, chuck, or metatron. I thought the series is pretty clear on the traditional idea that god can't talk to people and does it through angels/supernatural mouthpieces. The idea that G was talking to Sam directly/indirectly is kind of weird when his visions weren't like Chucks. I had money on metatron with powers again but didnt want it to be.

I thought it was established many seasons ago that Chuck was actually god?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

edit:

Yeah I thought this as well. I know there was some confusion when he went poof at the end of S5 because people argued that could be god calling him home but after the musical episode I was pretty sure he's the man himself.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I was also one of the people who kept on thinking where Michael was. Just do a throwaway line that the spell will just allow Lucifer to talk to Sam and not Michael but don't ignore it completely.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Kashaar wrote: »

edit:

Yeah I thought this as well. I know there was some confusion when he went poof at the end of S5 because people argued that could be god calling him home but after the musical episode I was pretty sure he's the man himself.

It's the common theory, but I don't think it's ever been explicitly stated.

will we ever get a plot
    that moves forward for a reason besides one brother not doing what the other told them?[/spoiler

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I was also one of the people who kept on thinking where Michael was. Just do a throwaway line that the spell will just allow Lucifer to talk to Sam and not Michael but don't ignore it completely.

And Sam's not in the cage now, he's in a cage at the moment, right? I assumed they moved Lucifer to that one for the time being. I wish they had mentioned that, yeah.

This season has been so good! It's weird!

Dean starts a Darkness church, Sam becomes Lucifer, and Castiel shows up with God to finish things. That'd be one hell of a finale. I doubt that'll happen but man. Where is Castiel anyway?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

And Sam's not in the cage now, he's in a cage at the moment, right? I assumed they moved Lucifer to that one for the time being. I wish they had mentioned that, yeah.

The impression I got from the whole setup this episode was

that the cage they brought Lucifer into was sort've remotely hooked up to the Cage, almost like it was a 3D projector that Lucifer was being projected into to communicate with. The wards kept him from actually doing anything through that link, and when they failed he reached out and dragged Sam back into the Cage with him.

Not sure, guess we'll find out.

One thing I've been pondering, might have bearing in the near future
    When the Darkness was released, the Mark of Cain vanished, returning to its source as a part of Amara. After the Mark vanished, Dean seemed to be freed from its effects - he's no longer possessed of murderous impulses. But that's not just an effect of moving the Mark - both Lucifer and Cain were corrupted by the Mark but continued to be corrupted even when they moved the Mark to someone else, the Mark's effects remaining with them even if the Mark itself did not. Dean should have been the same - but he isn't suffering the effects anymore.

It could be because he never had it for very long, or because Amara is affording him some special protection... but it would be more interesting if the reason is because the Mark is gone, returned to the Darkness. So its no longer corrupting any of its previous bearers.

What kind of effect would that have on Lucifer, I wonder...?

H9f4bVe.png
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    UOAWvh6.jpg

Golden Yak wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The impression I got from the whole setup this episode was

that the cage they brought Lucifer into was sort've remotely hooked up to the Cage, almost like it was a 3D projector that Lucifer was being projected into to communicate with. The wards kept him from actually doing anything through that link, and when they failed he reached out and dragged Sam back into the Cage with him.

Not sure, guess we'll find out.

One thing I've been pondering, might have bearing in the near future
    When the Darkness was released, the Mark of Cain vanished, returning to its source as a part of Amara. After the Mark vanished, Dean seemed to be freed from its effects - he's no longer possessed of murderous impulses. But that's not just an effect of moving the Mark - both Lucifer and Cain were corrupted by the Mark but continued to be corrupted even when they moved the Mark to someone else, the Mark's effects remaining with them even if the Mark itself did not. Dean should have been the same - but he isn't suffering the effects anymore.

It could be because he never had it for very long, or because Amara is affording him some special protection... but it would be more interesting if the reason is because the Mark is gone, returned to the Darkness. So its no longer corrupting any of its previous bearers.

What kind of effect would that have on Lucifer, I wonder...?
    I thought it had something to do with the cage trapping their energy, but not necessarily always being a physical cage. So when they summoned only Lucifer, it only brought him to the cage. It still gives them a chance to bring bat Michael if they want to, especially considering they directly referenced it in the last season.

So...
    Castiel/Lucifer (Lastiel? Lucitel? Casifer?)

Didn't really see that coming.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Wait, back? Back!

Baaaack!!

H9f4bVe.png
    skeldare wrote: »
    So...
    Castiel/Lucifer (Lastiel? Lucitel? Casifer?)

Didn't really see that coming.

I groaned.

I groaned so hard.

I thought this was another fairly strong episode, and continued what seems to be a tighter-than-usual focus on the main arc. Let's see how the second half goes.
    Even when Castiel popped up at the end with something clearly off, it took me forever to realize what it was. I may not have actually realized until they did the flashback reveal. Overall I thought Misha Collins did a very good job of mimicking Mark Pellegrino, though part of me actually thought he might be laying it on a little too thick. But I guess maybe that fits? I think I'm conflicted because while it's an interesting twist I just don't really want anyone but Mark Pellegrino to be Lucifer.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Yeah
    When I realized what had happened I was immediately concerned about Collins trying to pull off Pellegrino.

But from what little there was to see, he seemed to do OK.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I thought this was another fairly strong episode, and continued what seems to be a tighter-than-usual focus on the main arc. Let's see how the second half goes.
    Even when Castiel popped up at the end with something clearly off, it took me forever to realize what it was. I may not have actually realized until they did the flashback reveal. Overall I thought Misha Collins did a very good job of mimicking Mark Pellegrino, though part of me actually thought he might be laying it on a little too thick. But I guess maybe that fits? I think I'm conflicted because while it's an interesting twist I just don't really want anyone but Mark Pellegrino to be Lucifer.
    I honestly thought there was some cgi going on there because his face looked so strange set like that.

Anyone else catch the dig at Lucifer (the show on FOX) when Sam was talking to Pelligrino and was all
    "so you kill the darkness, then what?" and Pelligrino goes "I dunno, move to LA, solve crimes?"

That's what you call good writing in the 10th season. (or is it 11th now?)

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    UOAWvh6.jpg

heh, I grabbed a similar one of the Saints Row thread
    4pS0Ozb.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Anyone else catch the dig at Lucifer (the show on FOX) when Sam was talking to Pelligrino and was all
    "so you kill the darkness, then what?" and Pelligrino goes "I dunno, move to LA, solve crimes?"

That's what you call good writing in the 10th season. (or is it 11th now?)

Oh! I thought that was just snark!

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Hope they didn't blow the budget for the entire season on that banshee.

Yeah my first thought on seeing it was "hey that seems a little more effects-y than usual!"

I honestly really enjoyed that episode. I thought it was nicely written and had good character moments for everybody, including the guest stars. And I think I laughed out loud more than once.

I hope the deaf hunter Eileen shows up again, I liked her. Of course, knowing the show she'll end up dying.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I actually think starting with Season 10 the show has started to get out of its funk big time, and I can't really think of an episode this season that I've disliked.

Season 11 has definitely been a reversal of the downwards trend so far. Its been the most enjoyable season I've watched since the run of 1-5. I'm super invested in this Darkness arc. I'm a bit leery of how Lucifer is being used, but optimistic all the same.

H9f4bVe.png
    "As long as everyone where's a condom, everything will be fine."

This was a great episode.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they really seem to be getting back to old form this season, aren't they?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yep, dug that episode. Although the whole time I kept going "so which female character are the writers going to kill off" and was surprised when they didn't for a change. I guess there's always May sweeps.

I was also happy about that, because that's my fear literally every time Jody shows up. I'll admit that this episode felt a little strange to me being one of the only ones so far this season that doesn't have the main arc threaded into it in some way. But on its own it was a fine and a solid followup on all of those characters.

Though every time Jody shows up it also reminds me how disappointed I am that they've never made her more of an ongoing presence.

Last week was a great slice of life ep and this one was a great business as usual ep, tied in really well to the over-arching story. I guess we're past the halfway point now, things have been really good so far, and even if they only hold steady this will make for a great season.

H9f4bVe.png
    I've finally remembered to post about the last episode (I've taken to watching the show on Friday nights and sometimes forget over the weekend). It was a decent episode with a couple of elements I really really liked
    Amara being Dean's desire was obvious from a mile away, but I still enjoyed "her" showing up. But what I liked most was Dean immediately telling Sam about it. That's the kind of thing that I long ago just started assuming the brothers would lie about for at least a couple episodes in the name of SECRET ANGST. So having Dean not only tell Sam that it was her but also for them to then have a real, honest conversation about Dean's feelings about Amara was great.

I'm happy that the wife made it through the episode. In her first scene she seems like kind of a flat character who will either get killed, be the bad guy, or just not matter. But then she gets a big focus, manages to fight off the monster, saves Sam from the witch, and makes it out alive.
    In general I think the writers have been doing a pretty good job with the major one-off guest characters this season. Also, I never had quite as much of a problem with Sam in certain other seasons that some did, but he's been really good. It feels like the writers are making a definite effort to make Sam caring and understanding towards Dean in particular, I'm guessing at least partly in response to the previous criticisms of him.