As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay, tommorows the big day of introducing the game to everyone. The current squads I finally settled on are:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/361954/heavy-patrol#manoeuvres=show
    http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/362696/rebel-aces#manoeuvres=show
    http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/364563/imperial-squad-1#manoeuvres=show
    http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/364564/imperial-squad-2#manoeuvres=show

Which needs an extra phantom but otherwise should be fine. Are there any good resources to print out as references for learners?

Another helpful thing from the Builder site is to pick the two squads that people end up running and create a turn list tracker (Tools - Turn Order).

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Played three matches.

Rebels won all three. Though alot of that was because one of the two playing Imps was really, really quite terrible at the game.

His true masterpiece was the turn he deployed bombs to try and catch the Falcon out only for him to fly right into the cluster bombs with Howlrunner and clear them for me.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    The Falcon can be kind've a lot to deal with for a new player with a limited card pool, especially on the Imperial side.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Flying a bunch of TIEs is also gonna be quite a bit more difficult than flying a fattie. It might help to give the worse players the Rebel side.

• Options
    We offered to switch for the second 2v2 and they refused.

Honestly it was closer for the second match but the guy kept having these weird moves into nothing or his own ships that didn't help.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Anyone wanna vassal?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Anyone wanna vassal?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    20151210_171437_zpsdpcfmb5k.jpg

20151210_173920_zpsbroxfem9.jpg

20151210_174559_zpsjoe8ziwj.jpg

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    HHHNNGNGGGHHHHHH ... the Scyk is backwards, it's backwards ... It's ok... I'll be ok... deep breath ... I can just never look at that picture again and it'll be fine.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    HHHNNGNGGGHHHHHH ... the Scyk is backwards, it's backwards ... It's ok... I'll be ok... deep breath ... I can just never look at that picture again and it'll be fine.

I shouldn't mention the left hand TIE/FO is backwards too should I...

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Nealneal wrote: »
    ElderCat wrote: »

I shouldn't mention the left hand TIE/FO is backwards too should I...

Look, we had academy bob piloting that ship that day and that was the best we could get him to do.

The Scyk is just backwards in shame.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Man the K Wing looks so cool.

Realistically as my collection is what my group will be using I should probably get more IMPs but I find the Rebels so much more interesting looks wise at the smaller scale.

• Options
    Swarms of TIEs look sweet, but individual Rebel ships are way cooler.

• Options
    Also, is it bad that every time I make a rebel build I almost certainly just shove a Biggs with R2D2 in there? It just seems so strong for the points cost and it's a cheap enough combo that it doesn't strain whatever the actual gimmick of the build is.

• Options
    Also, is it bad that every time I make a rebel build I almost certainly just shove a Biggs with R2D2 in there? It just seems so strong for the points cost and it's a cheap enough combo that it doesn't strain whatever the actual gimmick of the build is.

Biggs doesn't have much offense (minus a torpedo if you want to stick one on him*), and given some bad rolls he can get taken out really early, costing you a (relatively) large amount of your squad build points. It's a tradeoff that can be good if you manage to keep him alive and regenerating, but sometimes it's better to spend your squad points on ships that don't care as much if they get shot at, like Y-Wings or B-Wings.

* This, of course, makes him worth even more and makes an early take-out even more painful.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So it appears I finally have a group that may play regularly now! I unfortunately haven't been able to make it to the group that plays about 30 minutes away each week, but a couple friends are trying to get together at least twice a month for X-wing.

Now, my collection has expanded a lot since I played last, and I don't really keep up on lists, tournaments, or anything of that sort, so these are probably ridiculous; but I've come up with a bunch of squads today. Fortunately my friends are pretty cool with printed proxy cards as I don't own the ships where half of these upgrades come from. Now, this is probably the most thought I've put into squad building since I started playing, so they're probably pretty laugh-worthy. I don't really care to play established squads from tourneys or anything though, but if there's something glaringly stupid in here I'd appreciate a heads up.

Rebel squads:
    Imperial squads:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Those seem like fun lists!

Some thoughts:
    A-wings are incredibly maneuverable but will fold like wet paper under fire. At the same time, they don't really put out much damage (proton rockets help, of course), so when I use Jake as a pilot, I tend to run him with Outmaneuver. Once you dump your rockets, your damage potential drops quite a bit, so things might slow down.
    A-wings are also vulnerable to turret fire, so Autothrusters may come in handy there, but that's not quite as fun as throwing a heap of dice ;-)

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    targeting astromech seems like a pretty good fit for the T-70, being able to drift turn into a target lock seems rad

kinda surprised they didn't reveal the last X-wing pilot though...maybe it's actually a named character?

• Options
    Epsilon Ace seems kinda a no brainer honestly. It's literally the same points cost as a 4 skill TIE FO anyway.

• Options
    I like the pilot that let's you spend a target lock and focus to turn all hits into crits

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    also reading that article, there's no way we don't see the black T-70 and the ace Tie/FO variant at some point

niiiiiice

• Options
    Those seem like fun lists!

Some thoughts:
    A-wings are incredibly maneuverable but will fold like wet paper under fire. At the same time, they don't really put out much damage (proton rockets help, of course), so when I use Jake as a pilot, I tend to run him with Outmaneuver. Once you dump your rockets, your damage potential drops quite a bit, so things might slow down.
    A-wings are also vulnerable to turret fire, so Autothrusters may come in handy there, but that's not quite as fun as throwing a heap of dice ;-)

I guess my thought was using Push the Limit would allow me to boost/barrel roll out of firing ranges and keep me stressed to allow Wired to trigger and reroll some dice for both attack and defense.
    It's definitely something I need to learn more with how to maneuver and stay clear of being shot. Turrets are definitely a problem.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Yeah, I actually like what you did with Tycho's and Jake's EPTs a lot!

The biggest hurdle with that list will be maneuvering. A-wings are a ton of fun to fly though, so that's always good :D

• Options
    Going to try a palmobile list on the weekend.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    chopper_crew.pngchopper-ghost.png

Well the ghost looks pretty cool to play for a few games

• Options
    @ArcSyn

Here're my brief thoughts on the squads you posted:
    • Rebels:
      • Buddies: The gunner and Han Solo are ... kinda duplicative of each other. They're not, really, and the gunner will help Han blow through defensive tokens, but I've found that too many items focused on doing the same thing tends to be wasted effort a lot of the time. The Falcon's going to be taking hits hard and fast, so they only change I'd consider there is something more defensive-minded; C-3P0 is actually really good on a 1-agility ship, since you can call "0 evades" and guarantee an evade result, sorta like a free Evade action every round. For Luke, Experimental Interface will allow him to take a normal action and use Expert Handling, but that'll give him two stress tokens, which can be hard to bleed off since you don't have anyway to get rid of them except by flying green (which, at least, will give you +1 shield).
      • Falcon Punch: Try to get a Push the Limit on Jake - taking A-Wing Test Pilot (0) and Chardaan Refit (-2) on him leaves you 1 point short, but he really, really calls out for it. It'll let you move, take a normal action (Evade or Boost), and then PTL to Focus, giving you a free Boost or Barrel Roll. A-Wings have great green maneuvers, so you can pretty much pull this off every round, and barrel rolling for A-Wings is absolutely key on getting into safe positions. Regardless of the above, you should put A-Wing Test Pilot and Chardaan Refit on him, since he's not carrying a missile, and pick up a 1- or 2-point Elite Pilot Talent. They're free points - use them! (Or don't spend them in a bid to get initiative.)
      • Can't Touch This: Your A-Wings will have anemic offensive capabilities once you launch your rockets, so make sure they count: be focused with a TL when you shoot them (and note that the rockets don't require you to spend your focus, just that you be focused). I'd probably pick Autothrusters over Stealth Device, but you may not have that card.
      • Explosions!: You have two super-beefy ships, but they have almost no defensive capabilities, so they're going to be taking damage pretty quickly. Be careful about hanging out in opponent's firing arcs - and remember that the K-Wing, especially, has a lot of trouble turning around. Putting stress on your opponents is fun, but given how fast your ships will be moving, a green maneuver is probably going to be enough for most ships to keep up with you. Inflicting stress tends to work better, IME, when you can also reliably ionize your opponents, as well, because then they're stuck doing 1-speed-straight-aheads and can't destress to take actions. It's a tactic that is absolutely devastating against Interceptors, which tend to be pretty popular and rely on stressing themselves out and then using their great array of green maneuvers to get clean. For this group, be prepared to lose a ship that still has a lot of points tied up in unspent munitions.
    • Imperials:
      • Evasive Maneuvers: Howlrunner is the quintessential "TIE Swarm" leader, but 4 ships isn't quite a swarm, and one thing to be careful of with Imperial lists is that your lack of shields leaves you very vulnerable to early crits; in a standard swarm list, you don't care very much because you have lots of disposable bodies to throw at the problem, but you've got a modified swarm with some higher-value targets. Just something to keep in mind! Note that if you use PTL on Turr's turn, you won't be able to take advantage of his special pilot ability because stressed ships can't perform actions, even free ones. Royal Guard TIE isn't doing anything for you, but it's also free, so ... eh? Commander Alozen is fun with the ATC!
      • M'Lord: Darth Vader looks like fun! It's important to keep him unstressed so he can do his two actions each round, and the improved Ion Engines is a good add to do that. Proton Rockets are a good fit for him, because on a normal round he can move into position, take the TL and Focus simultaneously and fire before anyone else gets a chance to do anything about it.
      • Missiles: That's a lot of points in secondary munitions. Expect Rhymer to take hits early that leave him unable to deploy most of them. I'm not sold on the utility of Deadeye.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/11/lothal-rebels-part-two/

dials.png
    VCX dial on the left. Assault shuttle dial on the right.

hera-ghost.pnghera-shuttle.pnghera-crew.png

kanan-jarrus-ghost.pngkannan-jarrus-crew.png

ezra-shuttle.pngezra-bridger-crew.png

sabine-shuttle.pngsabine-wren-crew.png
    Sabine is amazing. 21 points for a ship that can boost and barrel roll with no upgrades. Or give it PTL and boost, barrel roll, and evade. And her crew card turns any rebel ship with a crew slot into a bomber? Hello B-wing bombers with extra munitions. Or even a really cheap HWK bomber. It really opens up a lot of options. And that's before the ability that any FRIENDLY bomb does an extra damage to one ship at range 1 once a turn.

zeb-orrelios-shuttle.pngzeb-orrelios-crew.png
    At 18 points this is an alternative for a turret ship over a cheap Y-wing that can take a crew instead of an astromech, or a HWK without that horrible dial and with a great primary weapon.

chopper-ghost.pngchopper_crew.png
    Chopper as a 0 point crew opens up some options if you are tight on points and have a ship that can take crew. It's a very situational ability, but it only costs you a crew slot. If for some reason you weren't using one, most likely the second crew slot on a yt-1300, it's a great little add on.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Question about the Hera crew card: Would that place another stress token on your ship (and therefore need two green actions before you can do an action again).

If not it seems really freaking good.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Question about the Hera crew card: Would that place another stress token on your ship (and therefore need two green actions before you can do an action again).

The rules seem to indicate that more than one stress token can be placed by your ship (all of the rules say "one or more" etc). The green maneuver also says it removes one stress token.

So it looks like yes, each one you execute is another stress, and thus another green maneuver to cancel.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @Elvenshae Thanks! I'll look into that and tweak things some.

Edit: I feel like I have no idea how to fly the K-wing. It's movement is bad and has a hard time moving around without SLAM, but it doesn't feel as strong as one of the large ships to withstand the hits it could take.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Keyan & Hera stuck in a B-wing under a lot of stress.

Practically writes itself.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am shocked that the VCX has such a robust dial

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I am shocked that the VCX has such a robust dial

Not so sure.
    The K-5 is actually a huge liability for a large ship. You need a crazy amount of space to koiogran safely - roughly the length of an entire range ruler.
    And often that will leave you out of range to shoot that turn - which is a problem because you are spending between half and two-thirds of your points on one ship.
    As the TIE Defender showed us, having mostly red hard turns is surprisingly crippling. Further, the hard-2 is not a very useful maneuver for large ships. Much less useful than the hard-3 is to a snubfighter.

• Options
    Sure, but it's a 16-box, 4-attack ship. Having a hard-1, hard-3, and k-turn at all is notable.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Look, here is the truth. Regardless of the dial, I'm taking that thing home. Once there I will carefully remove it from the box and proceed to WHOOSH it all over my house.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options

Yep, it does - there are, in fact, lots of ways in this game to stack up more than one stress token, like Tycho Celchu with PTL, or doing a red maneuver into a debris field ...

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Or getting shot by two TLT Tacticians.

My favorite was playing a stresshog against Bossk with Daredevil. Once I pumped a couple stress into him he just did hard-1s the entire game. We kept adding the tokens just for the lols.

admanb on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's also worth pointing out that multiple red turns is less of a liability with Hera

• Options
    So... I am sorry to interrupt the conversation but it will be time for a new thread VERY soon. Who wants to make a new OP? The current OP needs some love before it's ready to headline a shiny new thread.

IWBRLjC.png