As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

1939495969799»

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I can make the new one.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    It's something I can do, but if someone has a strong desire to craft one, by all means.

I might have to snag the 2P for season stuff though :P

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Let the guy running the league make it. That way the OP gets updated more often. No offense to the old OP but Season 3 is over.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »

sabine-shuttle.pngsabine-wren-crew.png
    Sabine is amazing. 21 points for a ship that can boost and barrel roll with no upgrades. Or give it PTL and boost, barrel roll, and evade. and most importantly it can boost or barrel roll even while stressed. And her crew card turns any rebel ship with a crew slot into a bomber? Hello B-wing bombers with extra munitions. Or even a really cheap HWK bomber. It really opens up a lot of options. And that's before the ability that any FRIENDLY bomb does an extra damage to one ship at range 1 once a turn.

small correction, you can't perform free actions while stressed

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah I probably should have posted an official end to the season, but it seems like games have mostly wrapped up anyway and the holidays are basically here.

I'll do something official this evening.

crimsoncoyote on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @ArcSyn

Here're my brief thoughts on the squads you posted:
    • Rebels:
      • Buddies: The gunner and Han Solo are ... kinda duplicative of each other. They're not, really, and the gunner will help Han blow through defensive tokens, but I've found that too many items focused on doing the same thing tends to be wasted effort a lot of the time. The Falcon's going to be taking hits hard and fast, so they only change I'd consider there is something more defensive-minded; C-3P0 is actually really good on a 1-agility ship, since you can call "0 evades" and guarantee an evade result, sorta like a free Evade action every round. For Luke, Experimental Interface will allow him to take a normal action and use Expert Handling, but that'll give him two stress tokens, which can be hard to bleed off since you don't have anyway to get rid of them except by flying green (which, at least, will give you +1 shield).
    Ok, I'll have to try out both. My thought was I could essentially roll attack, reroll attack, then perform a primary attack. My dice are notoriously terrible to me, so my hope was to negate that as much as possible. Then again, my defense dice are just as bad so C-3PO may be extremely helpful.
    • Falcon Punch: Try to get a Push the Limit on Jake - taking A-Wing Test Pilot (0) and Chardaan Refit (-2) on him leaves you 1 point short, but he really, really calls out for it. It'll let you move, take a normal action (Evade or Boost), and then PTL to Focus, giving you a free Boost or Barrel Roll. A-Wings have great green maneuvers, so you can pretty much pull this off every round, and barrel rolling for A-Wings is absolutely key on getting into safe positions. Regardless of the above, you should put A-Wing Test Pilot and Chardaan Refit on him, since he's not carrying a missile, and pick up a 1- or 2-point Elite Pilot Talent. They're free points - use them! (Or don't spend them in a bid to get initiative.)
    So thoughts on these changes:
    Replace Gunner with C-3PO on Falcon as proposed above, which gives me 2 points.
    Add Test Pilot and Chardaan Refit, which gives me 2 more points.
    Add Push the Limit for 3 points.
    Left with 99/100 points

• Can't Touch This: Your A-Wings will have anemic offensive capabilities once you launch your rockets, so make sure they count: be focused with a TL when you shoot them (and note that the rockets don't require you to spend your focus, just that you be focused). I'd probably pick Autothrusters over Stealth Device, but you may not have that card.
    My thought here was with the A-wings weak attack I would want to try and stay as close to other ships as possible to get the range 1 bonus. Autothrusters require me to hang out at range 3, which would be more helpful if I'm running secondary weapons. Proton Rockets are range 1 as well, so need to be up close. Is being at range 3 something that I should reconsider?
    • Explosions!: You have two super-beefy ships, but they have almost no defensive capabilities, so they're going to be taking damage pretty quickly. Be careful about hanging out in opponent's firing arcs - and remember that the K-Wing, especially, has a lot of trouble turning around. Putting stress on your opponents is fun, but given how fast your ships will be moving, a green maneuver is probably going to be enough for most ships to keep up with you. Inflicting stress tends to work better, IME, when you can also reliably ionize your opponents, as well, because then they're stuck doing 1-speed-straight-aheads and can't destress to take actions. It's a tactic that is absolutely devastating against Interceptors, which tend to be pretty popular and rely on stressing themselves out and then using their great array of green maneuvers to get clean. For this group, be prepared to lose a ship that still has a lot of points tied up in unspent munitions.
    Maybe swap the Twin Laser Turret for an Ion Turret? I was hoping between the K-wing turret and B-wing firing torpedoes any direction it wouldn't matter too much about where my enemies are (though yes staying out of their arcs would be preferred) because I could shoot at them anywhere. It is tying a lot of points into two ships though, so maybe I should swap the B for 2 more maneuverable ships. I appreciate the input. We'll see what happens at the table, and if all the ordnance pays off. It was more of a funny idea I had to just have ridiculously equipped ships.
    • Imperials:
    • Evasive Maneuvers: Howlrunner is the quintessential "TIE Swarm" leader, but 4 ships isn't quite a swarm, and one thing to be careful of with Imperial lists is that your lack of shields leaves you very vulnerable to early crits; in a standard swarm list, you don't care very much because you have lots of disposable bodies to throw at the problem, but you've got a modified swarm with some higher-value targets. Just something to keep in mind! Note that if you use PTL on Turr's turn, you won't be able to take advantage of his special pilot ability because stressed ships can't perform actions, even free ones. Royal Guard TIE isn't doing anything for you, but it's also free, so ... eh? Commander Alozen is fun with the ATC!
    Yeah, unfortunately I don't have enough imperial ships for a true swarm. I'm considering getting Imperial Aces to add more Interceptors, but I dunno. Maybe it'd be better to get the TIE/FO expansion instead. Do you have a suggestion to replace the PTL? Marksmanship or perhaps Outmaneuver?
    • M'Lord: Darth Vader looks like fun! It's important to keep him unstressed so he can do his two actions each round, and the improved Ion Engines is a good add to do that. Proton Rockets are a good fit for him, because on a normal round he can move into position, take the TL and Focus simultaneously and fire before anyone else gets a chance to do anything about it.
    • Missiles: That's a lot of points in secondary munitions. Expect Rhymer to take hits early that leave him unable to deploy most of them. I'm not sold on the utility of Deadeye.
    Yeah, missiles was just an Imperial version of the explosions squad. I'm not too familiar with flying either ship, so I'm hoping to get a better understanding of them by using them.

I really appreciate the insights. Definitely given me some things to watch and pay attention to while I'm flying. Nothing's set in stone and it was fun just letting the fun of it influence my squad choices for a bit.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    small correction, you can't perform free actions while stressed
    Yup sorry, I remembered incorrectly, you can perform free actions if you overlapped an obstacle, but NOT if you were stressed.

DO3O00C.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you're definitely right about Sabine probably being the most impressive of the assault shuttle pilots, though

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Does the Ghost and Phantom count as two ships towards the needing to field two or more ships? Also what happens to a docked Phantom when Ghost gets blown up?

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    B wing bombers with extra munitions seems pretty fun.

You could fit three or so of them in a formation set up.

B-wings don't natively have bomb slots.
    Sabine grants one, but you can only have one Sabine. :-)

But yeah...
    Sabine's crew card is utterly astonishing for two points.
    It almost/sort've/not really turns a Seismic Charge into a Proton Bomb which always flips a direct hit.
    If you don't spend a lot of time flying with bombs, this may not sound like as big of a deal as it is. The tempo gain for bringing Sabine and landing one or two good Seismics is going to win most games handily.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Does the Ghost and Phantom count as two ships towards the needing to field two or more ships? Also what happens to a docked Phantom when Ghost gets blown up?
    Yes.
    I cannot find it right now, but I know this was addressed, the docked ship takes a damage and deploys immediately.

DO3O00C.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Docking is a game rule, right? But one that until now you'd only find on Epic ships.

New thread.

Work in progress. Will get it up to snuff over the course of the next couple hours.

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    That Ghost Ships is seriously, and I mean, SERIOUSLY making me reconsider my decision to only purchase ship that are part of the original trilogy. I mean, it's looks too good and great NOT to buy.

Add the fact we just bought Star Wars Rebels first season for the kids to watch (and I mean, the kids will have to watch it while I have control of the TV).

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    I need to finish watching Rebels, or catch up. Started well, so interested to see how it continues to play out.
    I like the Ghost's design, so it may be added to my collection as well.
    If only they could have made the shuttle actually dock into the Ghost...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited December 2015
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I need to finish watching Rebels, or catch up. Started well, so interested to see how it continues to play out.
    I like the Ghost's design, so it may be added to my collection as well.
    If only they could have made the shuttle actually dock into the Ghost...

It does...
    I think?
    Maybe not...

Sokpuppet on
    I think he meant physically

does it also do that?

It doesn't physically dock into it, but the Ghost is modeled with a docked Phantom.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I was just flipping through my cards and uh

are everyone's ship cards slightly busted up in the bottom right? I just noticed that all of mine are ever so slightly torn down there and it's killing me

edited December 2015
    swx39_box_right.png

From the FFG website, it looks like the slot is filled on the Ghost model (you can see the cockpit and two protrusions between the engines) even though the Phantom is next to it.

The LEGO model allows you to dock it which is cool, even though they sell it separately.
    14465397811_8e18144093.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I wouldn't want it to be able to dock. It would look weird with a hole there and X-Wing miniatures aren't legos -- jamming small pieces of plastic into other small pieces of plastic is how they get broken.

admanb wrote: »
    I wouldn't want it to be able to dock. It would look weird with a hole there and X-Wing miniatures aren't legos -- jamming small pieces of plastic into other small pieces of plastic is how they get broken.

True, just thought it'd be neat if it did.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Man every time I look at that thing I want it more. It is cool as fuck.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

B-wings don't natively have bomb slots.
    Sabine grants one, but you can only have one Sabine. :-)

But yeah...
    Sabine's crew card is utterly astonishing for two points.
    It almost/sort've/not really turns a Seismic Charge into a Proton Bomb which always flips a direct hit.
    If you don't spend a lot of time flying with bombs, this may not sound like as big of a deal as it is. The tempo gain for bringing Sabine and landing one or two good Seismics is going to win most games handily.

Do B-Wings have access to Bomb Loadout, or is that Y-Wing only?

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Wonder if they'd add a prototype B-Wing weapon

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    IIRC it is apparently possible to put your TIEs into the Gozanti Assault Cruiser.

Btw they need that and the rebel transport in Armada scale.

Edit: Indeed you can, making it more awesome by default. Take that rebel scum.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular