As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Seven Wizards for Seven Apocalypses: Now with an ending slapped on

145791029

Posts

  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    yeah, the resurrection potion was the most expensive thing she had when she didn't know we were desperate

  • wiltingwilting Registered User regular
    She'll want the peasant from before. A life for a life.

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    She'll want the peasant from before. A life for a life.

    It's an option, but if we consider it, we need to remember that we're perilously short on peasants.

    Maybe fortune will smile on us and dump another shipwreck on our shore, just full of people happy to work for us.
    Or maybe our little settlement will attract people sick of worshiping R'yleh, or whatever we're calling the sunken city god, and would be willing to convert to worshiping Cinderella, goddess of Badpun and matron of the molten stone.

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Turn 12

    Decision I1: Mega-production
    Bonuses: +4 Fortune, +3 Mana

    Things
    Mana: 31 [+8/turn]
    Fortune: 2/50 [+0/turn]
    Growth: 5/10 [+1/turn]
    Peasants: 6
    Population: 12
    Shelter: 25
    Food: 25
    Resources: 54 [+1/turn]
    Silver Pieces: 37 [+1/turn]

    The Obsidian Tower
    Shards: Foreseen, Loyalist
    +8 mana / turn +1 resource / turn
    [Ashvent] - Prevents scrying in the region.

    Glassalia
    [Fertile Farm] = +25 food
    [Glass houses] = +25 shelter
    [Lumber yard] = +1 resource / 10 peasants / turn)

    Individuals & Armies
    Cinders, The Foreseen Lavashaper
    Combat: 5 dice, 4+ strength [Lucky] [Wizard] [Ranged(short)]
    Equipment: Vulcanus
    Vote bonuses: +1 Mana or +1 Fortune per vote

    Militia [5 Peasants]
    Combat: 2 dice, 7+ strength, [Swarmfighting]

    Skeleton Warriors
    Combat: 2 dice, 8+ strength, [Hard to kill]

    The Apprentice, Geomancer
    Combat: 2 dice, 6+ strength [Adaptable] [Wizard]


    Sanders, The Magma Wyrm [adds +25 to fortune threshold. Improves fortunes]

    [Adaptable] During a round, one positive trait of the target is cancelled
    [Lucky] One reroll per round
    [Ranged(short)] Make one attack without retaliation before melee
    [Wizard] Must spend 1 mana per round or lose all but one dice
    [Swarmfighting] +1 on rolls when targeting an enemy targeted by another ally
    [Hard to kill] If beaten in combat make a difficulty 8 check. On success the unit is not destroyed

    Artifacts
    Vulcanus
    Grants Ranged(short) to the bearer
    Intelligent(?)

    Diplomacy
    The Drowned Lady: Caldeot, the town by the Drowned City
    Relations: Cautiously respectful

    Nephroditi: The Bonemancer Wanderer
    Relations: Business-like
    Trade route: +1 silver piece / turn

    Axiom: The Fistcaster Loyalist
    Relations: Hatred
    Missing an arm
    Shardless

    Ingvar: The Instigator Mechano-Sage
    Relations: Unknown

    Summary
    The sun rose over Glassalia once again. Sounds of dull drumming awoke the peasants. One of Nephroditi's black wagons had arrived, the skeletal crew offloaded bolts of colourfully dyed fabric and sealed jars of oil. In return, the peasants heaved sacks of salt harvested from the sea, shallow crates of cured crustaceans and barrels filled with obsidian speartips carefully packed in sawdust up into the wagon. The exchange was silent, the skeletal traders only drummed to attract the attention of the Glassali. After that, it was a wordless process of off and on-loading. The bonemancer herself had not returned since her original trip, but one of her wagons would come occasionally with its skeletal crew. For the peasants, it was starting to become routine.

    Cinders saw all of this unfolding in the grey light of dawn from her throne room. She'd wrestled with summoning Nephroditi back to demand... ask... beg her to bring back the apprentice. It might have already been too late if he was to come back as anything but a mindless puppet and even if not then what terrible price would the costumed wizard demand? Restraint and caution were not natural to the lavashaper, but she exercised both of them that day. Her apprentice was gone. What mattered now was finding Axiom and feeding him to a volcano.

    The village was expanding well, but the need to maintain a constant militia had certainly slowed things recently. It was time for more direct intervention. Cinders descended from her tower and strode across the beach. The morning was well-established now. She entered the forest alone. For a time she stood in the fragrant greenery listening to the chirping birds and scurrying animals. And then she unleashed hellfire upon it. Screaming as she worked, the green was consumed into orange and brown. Molten axeblades severed gnarled trunks from their bases. Flashes of fire caused the leaves to boil and pop, spraying out little bursts of thick sap. The ground quaked and rejected the root-masses that had invaded it.

    When all was over, Cinders stood in a vast clearing lined with fallen trees. While their bark was blackened and charred, the interior was still usable. She left the clearing, passing through the lumberyard, which was suddenly busy with the supply of raw materials to be processed.

    [Magic-enhanced production gives +10 resources]

    Sanders had been toiling endlessly down below. The lines of fate and fortune had been rearranged for some unknown purpose, but it felt hollow for Cinders today. Strangely, she could still see the destiny of the apprentice. Cinders hadn't noticed that before. Despite his death, he still had a role to play. Abruptly the pattern below was complete. It contained more death but not from the lavashaper's people. This was something else. Multiple deaths that would aid Glassalia as a whole.

    The confusion was answered by the sound of hooves. Horses were coming. Cinders turned to see a large steep-sided cart, not one of the bonemancer's horseless contraptions, but something more traditional. The two horses pulling the cart were trotting along at a decent pace, but started to slow as they rounded on Glassalia. The driven was slumped sideways on his ledge, the reins locked in his rigor mortis grip.

    One of the peasants, it might have been Todor, jogged alongside the unmanned cart. He came level with the horses, and grabbed hold of their straps making reassuring noises as he did so. The stupid animals stopped in short order, comforted by the imbecile. The cart was fully laden: Pre-cut planks, buckets of nails, lead sheeting, sealed pails of tar. Somewhere nearby, there must have been a major construction project under way. The driver's neck had been pierced by an arrow. The attack would have spooked the horses sufficiently that the cart had evaded capture, and now that bounty had just happened to arrive at Cinders' settlement.

    As they unloaded the materials, they uncovered a slender chest tucked away. Possibly it was a quirk of packing, but it seemed more likely that this was deliberately hidden. Some contraband perhaps that had caused the attack? Inside were a series of ragged squares six inches to a side. Lumps of swollen, painted plaster, the pigments faded to the point where it was difficult to make out what the images had been at all. Did one depict a great round city? Cinders realised that in all likelihood what she was looking at had been stolen either from Caldeot, or the Drowned City itself. Stuffed amongst the packing hay were several rectangular lengths of silver too. The cold, hard currency was of far more interest that the fragments of old architectural decoration. Still, they probably also had value to the right person.
    [+30 resources, +30 silver pieces and some probably stolen religious tat from the fortune event]

    She left the peasants collecting the morbid bounty. It was almost time. She left her skeletal warriors on their patrol, but directed her spearmen to stay close. Whatever she had foreseen was approaching from the ocean. The horizon was still clear, but in her reading the arrival was imminent. A figure was emerging from the water. By the time its head was fully exposed there was no doubting it: This was one of the youth's contraptions.

    It was a roughly human-shaped automaton, the dark metal of its casing was pocked with barnacles and decorated with starfish from its time beneath the waves. It moved slowly and methodically, on a course for the lavashaper. In total it was a full head taller than Cinders, and up-close it was far boxier than a human form. Its arms ended in crude manipulators, suitably only for the most base of work. Perched atop its cubic head were two small glittering gemstones, its eyes. It stopped a short distance from Cinders and her gathered militia. And for several long moments it remained motionless.

    The crystal eyes pulsed with magic and suddenly a miniature roaring blizzard, or the spectre of one at any rate, was conjured before the automaton. Every now and again there was a tiny glimpse of a face within the snowstorm. Ingvar, the pale youth, the Mechano-Sage had sent one of his machines. The ghostly, distorted image of Ingvar spoke,
    "Cinderella, is it you? The enchantment is less... robust than I had planned. It is you, isn't it? I've been searching for each of you. I need to apologise. This... This disaster needs to be corrected. I am sure you understand yourself, but The Weir has been sundered. It's dying, Cinderella. And when it dies so will the world inside of it. We have to reunite The Weir. And we have to do this as quickly as possible."

    As the pale-skinned youth spoke, Cinders realised that this was just a one-way message. The mechano-sage couldn't see or hear her. She let it continue speaking,
    "I've found most of the others. I am asking them to come to me, here in the tundra. There's a focus here that should help the repair. I'm sorry Cinderella, this is my fault. I should have allowed for an interruption in the plan. The construct that is relaying this message to you will serve you now. It will lead you to me. You have to hurry!"

    Abruptly, the projected message ended. The automaton stood motionless, waiting for a command.

    Decision Time
    (A letter, a number, a symbol from each option and then and specify Mana/Fortune for your vote bonus)

    Peasant action:
    A: Build houses (shelter for 25 peasants) (costs 15 resources)
    B: Build a farm (+20 food) (Costs 15 resources)
    C: Build a tavern (+1 growth / turn) (costs 20 resources)
    D: Add a Scholar's Hall to the tower (allows research, +1 study/turn) (costs 50 resources)
    E: Scout the mainland [specify south or east]
    F: Train scouts (gives a difficulty 15 check on all future exploration to get a minor bonus) (costs 5 resources)
    G: Establish a trade route with Caldeot (+1 silver piece / turn) (costs 10 silver pieces)
    H: Raise militia (produces a [Militia] unit, costs 5 resources and 5 peasants)
    I : Work a double shift on the sawmill (produces 5+1d6 resources)


    Cinders action:
    1: Help the peasants (Pay 2x resource cost in mana and 0 resources on build, or pay 5 mana on production to obtain +1d6 resources) [select A/B/F/H/I for the peasant action]
    2: Try to draw more mana from the crystal shards (difficulty 13: Success gains 3d6 mana, Failure is bad)
    3: Call for an audience with Nephroditi (costs 3 mana)
    4: Boil the lake to expose the drowned city (costs 100 mana)
    5: Attack/Annex Caldeot (specify units)
    6: Muse quietly on your throne [effectively a turn skip]

    Smuggled artifact:
    £ - Return the religious images to Caldeot and The Order of the Drowned
    $ - Sell on the plaster works [x2 trade income for 3 rounds]

    The automaton:
    % - Have the metal warrior join your army [3 dice, 5+ strength, [sluggish]*]
    & - Destroy the mechanical construct before it has a chance to do anything else
    ? - Imprison the mechanical construct until you have time to study it

    * [Sluggish] - Only rolls dice every second round

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    C-6-£-& +Fortune

    We need more peasants to make into soldiers. Also a show of good faith towards our neighbors can't hurt. As for the automaton, either use it as heavy labor/army or pick it apart to see how it works.

    Edit: By "Destroy" I mean disassemble for "research".

    Anialos on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    @anialos C-1 is an invalid combination, as you have less than 40 mana

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    C-1-£-%

    The automaton would make an excellent worker for the sawmill. The manipulators could haul logs and planks with ease

    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    @anialos C-1 is an invalid combination, as you have less than 40 mana

    So it is either all mana or we can't help at all? I mean, the alternative here is to waste the action with a 6.

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    anialos C-1 is an invalid combination, as you have less than 40 mana

    So it is either all mana or we can't help at all? I mean, the alternative here is to waste the action with a 6.

    Yep, all or nothing. Having fractions of help would just make it a nightmare to work out what you guys wanted to do.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I love that going to the Tundra to meet up with the others isn't even an option.

    D - 6 - £ - %

  • wiltingwilting Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    D 6 £ % Fortune
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yep, all or nothing. Having fractions of help would just make it a nightmare to work out what you guys wanted to do.

    Well, it could just be:
    - If we have enough resources but not mana, all available mana is used, and then the remaining cost is taken from resources. (Making this decision, means we want to save resources by spending mana).
    - If we have enough mana, but not resources, all remaining resources are used, and then the remaining cost is taken from mana. (Making this decision, means we want to build the thing NOW but don't want to use ALL our mana).
    - If we don't have enough of either, but have enough between the two, default to using resources first then supplement with mana. (Build it by any means available, defaulting to the thing whose purpose is building).

    TL:DR If we vote to support building with mana, default to using resources first, because they are for building, then make up the cost with mana. Unless we have enough resources, in which case default to using mana first.

    wilting on
    Anialos
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    wilting wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yep, all or nothing. Having fractions of help would just make it a nightmare to work out what you guys wanted to do.

    Well, it could just be:
    - If we have enough resources but not mana, all available mana is used, and then the remaining cost is taken from resources. (Making this decision, means we want to save resources by spending mana).
    - If we have enough mana, but not resources, all remaining resources are used, and then the remaining cost is taken from mana. (Making this decision, means we want to build the thing NOW but don't want to use ALL our mana).
    - If we don't have enough of either, but have enough between the two, default to using resources first then supplement with mana. (Build it by any means available, defaulting to the thing whose purpose is building).

    TL:DR If we vote to support building with mana, default to using resources first, because they are for building, then make up the cost with mana. Unless we have enough resources, in which case default to using mana first.

    Sure, this makes sense, but you can see why I'm avoiding it in the interests of having simple options and trying to encourage people to drop in and out as they fancy.
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I love that going to the Tundra to meet up with the others isn't even an option.
    It will be, assuming you vote to hang on to Mr Roboto. If you lock him up or destroy him then you can image why he's harder to follow.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    D6£% -fortune
    We've got the resources, let's get us some research going. Maybe it'll take our mind off our poor dead apprentice for a while.

    see317 on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    D - 2 - £ - ? - Fortune

    Studying the automaton may give us something else to do instead of sitting on our throne at times like this, since that big red button crystal is getting tempting to push.

  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    Although, since I'm in the minority on studying the automaton, I guess we can put in a call to Neph in the future if we get bored since we have some silver to spend again.

    I want to point out that the sluggish trait makes it not that great as a military unit. Studying it would still give us the option to follow it later, and might provide other benefits.

  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Celebrim wrote: »
    Studying the automaton may give us something else to do instead of sitting on our throne at times like this

    This, also we still have the thing from the first fortune event. Not building the study is like not choosing a research topic in civ. We're wasting time.

    D6£? - Fortune

    E: woops, meant 6, obvs

    Delmain on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Celebrim wrote: »
    Although, since I'm in the minority on studying the automaton, I guess we can put in a call to Neph in the future if we get bored since we have some silver to spend again.

    I want to point out that the sluggish trait makes it not that great as a military unit. Studying it would still give us the option to follow it later, and might provide other benefits.

    Yeah, as a military unit it's not that great, but I was under the impression that "Put it in the dungeon" kind of meant "forget about it because we don't have a study hall".
    But, if we keep it as a military unit, we should be able to study it at a later date once we have completed our study room (unless the peasants get attached to their mechanical golem buddy). The only option that prevents us from studying it is destroying it outright, and even then we might still be able to learn something from the remains (unless we just open a molten chasm beneath it and laugh as it melts into base metal and slag). If we keep it out and about, then we'll be able to follow it once it gets the signal to return to it's maker. If we try to imprison it, it's possible that all we'll get for the trouble is a new exit to our dungeon.

    That said, it's an automaton, it seems like it should be intelligent enough to perform simple brute-force tasks like gathering wood. Sluggish might not be such an impediment if it's hauling 5 peasants worth of trees back to the mill for processing.

    see317 on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Mojo, is there an option to make the Automaton work for us, instead of being in our army?

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    D - 2 - £ - ? - fortune

    What's the worst that can happen.

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Mojo, is there an option to make the Automaton work for us, instead of being in our army?

    Yeah, if you decide to keep it around we can think about that next turn.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I must have missed a page when writing this...

    Tiphareth on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    D-Research fortune scroll-£-?-Fortune

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I was also thinking about the roles of the others.
    Neph seems to be the Wanderer, with the bone caravan and the teleporting between bone musicians during our meeting. according to the summary.
    My guess is that Ingvar is the Possessor. He was able to send automatons to all the others which means he roughly knew where they were. This means he has the ability to sway us or our units to his cause. Something to consider if/when we decide to meet him.

    Celebrim on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    [color=]D-Research fortune scroll-£-?-Fortune

    we can't research till we have the hall, that's why we have to build it this turn.

    Mojo_Jojo
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    D 1 -- ?

    I'd like to just do the 5 Mana = +1D6 resources, because we don't have 100 mana to spare. But thanks to that windfall of money and building supplies, we can get to studyin' much faster than we thought possible!

    Having the Drowned Citizens looking kindly towards us would probably be beneficial for us, but can we hang onto the icons for now? Maybe our future research will provide some ideas of what these things actually are or why they would be considered valuable to anyone else.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wanted to keep the tiles for now, but the choice said we had to pick a symbol.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    [color=]D-Research fortune scroll-£-?-Fortune

    we can't research till we have the hall, that's why we have to build it this turn.

    I didn't see anywhere where this was stated.
    We may be able to research the same turn as we build the hall.
    And I thought trying this was better than just selecting 'Twiddle thumbs'.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    D 6 £ % Fortune

    If there are going to be giant robots out there, I want them in my army.


    Also it is very plainly the best idea to give the fanatical cultists who worship an undersea city some religious artifacts that had been stowed away as contraband. Nothing bad could possibly come of this.

    With Love and Courage
    Delmain
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    [color=]D-Research fortune scroll-£-?-Fortune

    we can't research till we have the hall, that's why we have to build it this turn.

    I didn't see anywhere where this was stated.
    We may be able to research the same turn as we build the hall.
    And I thought trying this was better than just selecting 'Twiddle thumbs'.

    Stating all the options you can't take would be quite a bit of work...

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Delmainjakobagger
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    [color=]D-Research fortune scroll-£-?-Fortune

    we can't research till we have the hall, that's why we have to build it this turn.

    I didn't see anywhere where this was stated.
    We may be able to research the same turn as we build the hall.
    And I thought trying this was better than just selecting 'Twiddle thumbs'.

    Stating all the options you can't take would be quite a bit of work...

    Cost nothing for me to try though :P

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Turn 13

    Decision D 6 £ ?: Research, lounging around, returning stolen treasure and locking the automaton up
    Bonuses: +9 Fortune, +4 Mana

    Things
    Mana: 43 [+8/turn]
    Fortune: 11/50 [+0/turn]
    Growth: 6/10 [+1/turn]
    Peasants: 6
    Population: 12
    Shelter: 25
    Food: 25
    Resources: 5 [+1/turn]
    Silver Pieces: 38 [+1/turn]
    Study: 25/?? [+1/turn]

    The Obsidian Tower
    Shards: Foreseen, Loyalist
    +8 mana / turn +1 resource / turn
    [Ashvent] - Prevents scrying in the region
    [Scholar's Hall] - Allows research, +1 study/turn

    Glassalia
    [Fertile Farm] = +25 food
    [Glass houses] = +25 shelter
    [Lumber yard] = +1 resource / 10 peasants / turn)

    Individuals & Armies
    Cinders, The Foreseen Lavashaper
    Combat: 5 dice, 4+ strength [Lucky] [Wizard] [Ranged(short)]
    Equipment: Vulcanus
    Vote bonuses: +1 Mana or +1 Fortune per vote

    Militia [5 Peasants]
    Combat: 2 dice, 7+ strength, [Swarmfighting]

    Skeleton Warriors
    Combat: 2 dice, 8+ strength, [Hard to kill]

    The Apprentice, Geomancer
    Combat: 2 dice, 6+ strength [Adaptable] [Wizard]


    Sanders, The Magma Wyrm [adds +25 to fortune threshold. Improves fortunes]

    Ingvar's Machine [Imprisoned]
    Combat: 3 dice, 5+ strength, [sluggish]

    [Adaptable] During a round, one positive trait of the target is cancelled
    [Lucky] One reroll per round
    [Ranged(short)] Make one attack without retaliation before melee
    [Wizard] Must spend 1 mana per round or lose all but one dice
    [Swarmfighting] +1 on rolls when targeting an enemy targeted by another ally
    [Hard to kill] If beaten in combat make a difficulty 8 check. On success the unit is not destroyed
    [Sluggish] Only rolls dice every second round

    Artifacts
    Vulcanus
    Grants Ranged(short) to the bearer
    Intelligent(?)

    Diplomacy
    The Drowned Lady: Caldeot, the town by the Drowned City
    Relations: Respectful and amiable

    Nephroditi: The Bonemancer Wanderer
    Relations: Business-like
    Trade route: +1 silver piece / turn

    Axiom: The Fistcaster Loyalist
    Relations: Hatred
    Missing an arm
    Shardless

    Ingvar: The Instigator Mechano-Sage
    Relations: Unknown

    Summary
    There were too many unanswered questions and times were relatively good in Glassalia. It was the hour to set the peasants to work on something that mattered. The Obsidian Tower was a vast structure, but most of the rooms were simply empty. Hollow placeholders rather than the laboratories and treasure hordes that Cinderella deserved. For the first time in her reign, she invited the labourers into the heart of her domain and set them outfitting a few of the rooms in the upper reaches.

    It was dirty, loud chaos. And Cinders hated every moment of the intrusion. Ingvar's machine was hauled inside too, wrapped in enchanted chains and left somewhere until she had time to properly consider what to do with it. Would the others really take the message at face value? It seemed highly unlikely given what she knew of the others and their natural suspicions. Perhaps he was being truthful, perhaps Axiom's intrusion into the ritual really had doomed them all. Although, if The Weir was shattered then it seemed somewhat contradictory that they were apparently all now inhabiting the world within.

    She'd left Cook, along with Arcbeth and Todor, out of the extension. Instead, she sent them off to Caldeot with the worthless plaster squares. Worthless to her that was, perhaps they'd earn a little good will or some reward from the neighbours. They took the freshly repaired horse and cart, it wouldn't be a great deal faster, but it would at least save their legs and give them a chance to spot an ambush if it came.

    By the time they returned, a full day and a night later, the study and laboratories within the Obsidian Tower were close to complete. Cook had been granted an audience with The Drowned Lady herself, while the plaster icons were taken away for evaluation. She had thanked him profusely, and by extension Cinders, for returning the images. There had been increasing problems with looting and desecration of both the Drowned City itself and also the numerous smaller shrines and temples within Caldeot. She was starting to suspect that these were not isolated events by lone agents looking to make a pocket full of silver, but that the heretical theft was being orchestrated by their neighbour to the south, New Thett. The Thetti were brutish and worshipped a pantheon of false gods, avatars of silver, oak, clouds and a hundred other nonsensical things. Relations had been tense for decades, with a few wars fought just outside living memory. The source of the animosity seemed linked to little more than tradition though in Cook's opinion. He'd heard of New Thett himself, he'd even been there on one occasion in the past as a stop-off on a whaling expedition. In his opinion, New Thett was an unremarkable town of merchants. Probably a little larger than Caldeot, but substantially less unified and singular in its purpose outside of stripping coins from a visitor's pockets.

    His audience was interrupted by a knight's aid, who passed a note to the Drowned Lady. She passed an eye over it briefly, before nodding and informing Cook that apparently the images were forgeries. While this meant no desecration had occurred this did little to improve the lady's mood. False icons could not be tolerated. They made a mockery of the city and all it stood for. The lady was glad she could count on the friendship of Glassalia in these trying times. She rose and informed the trio from Glassalia that unfortunately she had a prior engagement to attend.

    Cook's personal impression was that Caldeot could well be about to go to war with Thett over this slight. Regardless of whether they were actually involved.

    Decision Time
    (A letter, a number, a symbol from each option and then and specify Mana/Fortune for your vote bonus)

    Peasant action:
    A: Build houses (shelter for 25 peasants) (costs 15 resources)
    B: Build a farm (+20 food) (Costs 15 resources)
    C: Build a tavern (+1 growth / turn) (costs 20 resources) [Requires option 1 due to lack of resources]
    E: Scout the mainland [specify south or east]
    F: Train scouts (gives a difficulty 15 check on all future exploration to get a minor bonus) (costs 5 resources)
    G: Establish a trade route with Caldeot (+1 silver piece / turn) (costs 10 silver pieces)
    H: Raise militia (produces a [Militia] unit, costs 5 resources and 5 peasants)
    I : Work a double shift on the sawmill (produces 5+1d6 resources)

    Cinders action:
    1: Help the peasants (Pay 2x resource cost in mana and 0 resources on build, or pay 5 mana on production to obtain +1d6 resources) [select A/B/C/F/H/I for the peasant action]
    2: Try to draw more mana from the crystal shards (difficulty 13: Success gains 3d6 mana, Failure is bad)
    3: Accelerate the experiments (costs 3 mana to obtain +1d6 study)
    4: Call for an audience with Nephroditi (costs 3 mana)
    5: Boil the lake to expose the drowned city (costs 100 mana)
    6: Attack/Annex Caldeot (specify units)
    7: Release the automaton and follow it to the tundra and Ingvar's reunion (specify units)
    8: Muse quietly on your throne (effectively a turn skip)

    Study selection:
    £: On the interactions of lavashaping with the wider inherent energies of the natural world, a study into previously forbidden aspects of the college [Improves lavashaping wizardry] (50 study)
    $: A detailed consideration of the entities which lurk below and how to effectively bind them into perpetual servitude [Allows summoning] (25 study)
    %: Of the interplay between bonemancy and lavashaping: Flaming skulls or smouldering corpses? [Synergy with or defence against bonemancy] (10 study)
    &: Dismemberment of the physical form and distillation of the dominant ethers within the autonomous construct gifted by the wizard Ingvar [Extract secrets from Ingvar's machine] (10 study) - Prevents following it to the tundra
    @: A discourse concerning cosmological systems: On the marvellous proportion of the celestial spheres and on the true and particular causes of the number, magnitude and periodic motions of the heavens [Improves foreseen wizardry] (50 study)
    #: Reflections on the twin shards and their ultimate connection to the artifact once known as The Weir [Improves mastery of shards] (25 study)

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    C-3-# +Fortune

    A pub to reward the peasants for their hard work seems in order, along with a good bit of hyper-focused study on those Shards!

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What of the scroll that we received from fortune? Can we research/gain extra study from it now?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Why is this cloud here?
    Why must it spite me?
  • DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    F3& +mana

    Need to figure out what is going on around asap, so scouts and Ingvar's thing.

    Daemonis on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    What of the scroll that we received from fortune? Can we research/gain extra study from it now?

    Yep, that's why you have 25 study off the bat

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    C 1 $ Fortune

  • wiltingwilting Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to vote, other than I think it would be good to research shard mastery so we can draw mana safely.

    What is our attitude to the Caldeot / New Thett situation? Do we care? Do we want to intervene on one side or the other? Or let them have at it?

    If we are going to the tundra should we do it sooner rather than later?

  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    I 3 # Fortune

    We might be able to assist in the Caldeot/New Thett situation and annex one without a fight, the problem is right now the side that likes is is Caldeot and I feel there will be a strong urge to boil the lake when we get the mana.

  • wiltingwilting Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    C 1 # Fortune



    wilting on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    FYI, since I've seen 2 votes now, I don't think we can do A,B, or C without choosing option 1.

    Mojo_Jojo
Sign In or Register to comment.