As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking the Nintendo DS record at PAX?

johnhummeljohnhummel Registered User new member
edited November 2007 in PAX Archive
I read today that a bunch of students in Australia broke the simultaneous Nintendo DS playing record with 381 students.

I was wondering: isn't this a record that could easily be broken at PAX? I mean, one conference room, everybody pulls out their DS's, and whoop - record broken.

Any thoughts?

johnhummel on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    im pretty sure this was already broken at pax05 :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We could always give it another shot next year, just in case.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Friday's line before it opens would be a perfect time to get a count. The problem is getting an exact number.

Less then 400 sounds real small compared to PAX though.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gotta have a Guiness record guy there too to make it official. Probably not that hard to do though.

JPants on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Easiest way would have it as an event in the main theater or someplace, just have a bunch of chairs set up and have enforcers make sure everyone who enters has a DS. Problem is that means till they count that many people we can't have any anything else happen in there.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We'll break this record so hard that it barely seems worth it.

Aydr on
  • Options
    GodSinGodSin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was going to post this earlier today but I forgot and well I guess now I have been beaten to it :D

The Story

DS gamers in Australia enter the record books

PRESS RELEASE: Nintendo Australia enters the record books

381 people made history at Parramatta, Westfield on October 12 when they gathered to break a world record for the number of people playing with a Nintendo DS in one area at one time.

This historic event, which forms a new category in the Guinness World Records book, was hosted by both K-zone and Nintendo and supervised by an Official Guinness World Records adjudicator.

The day was a huge success with 15 lucky people winning a Nintendo DS Lite and lots of on the spot prizes including K-zone showbags and Nintendo DS Games.

The event highlighted how passionate Nintendo fans are as people travelled from all over NSW to participate.

The crowd was entertained by other Guinness Book of Record holders including Neil Fingleton, the UK’s tallest man and Anthony Kelly, the man with the fastest reaction times.

Nintendo would like to thank all of those people who attended on the day.

I think this could easily be done as long as everyone remembers to bring their DS's... that includes the Phat and slim ones ;) ... if aprox 37,000 ppl where at pax07 and even if only half (and I am sure their are more) ppl bring their DS it would make it more of a challenge for the next group to beat at pax 09 / 2010 and so on lol

GodSin on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah. When I read that, I was like "Shit, we broke that last year."

Someone contact Guinness and have them come to PAX.

Those kids are goin' down.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maybe we can get Nintendo to give extra sponsorship to PAX/some prizes to people participating too.

Hell, may as well go for the PSP simultaneous play world record too. We should be able to get a good 15 people going at once.

Aydr on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    400.... So insigificant. I would say just seeing the pic of all the people holding up ds's during the concert kinda instantly voids their claim to fame.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sounds fun, let's do it!

We can march down the halls with our DS's held high. :D

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    johnhummeljohnhummel Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    Don't forget - to make this official there has to be a Guinness world record rep as well to validate the results.

With that, I'd say we petition the PAX organizers to make this an official event. Maybe we should invite the Donkey Kong high score guy as well :).

johnhummel on
  • Options
    SchmeckleSchmeckle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If we do go for the record, could we please do it during a time that the exhibit hall is closed? So much goes on when it is open and I hate missing stuff just because I love the exhibit hall too much to leave.

Schmeckle on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would say the Friday line would be perfect for it. Do it at the start of pax!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The problem is having an organized way to get an exact the people that are playing without taking a really long fucking time.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I would say the Friday line would be perfect for it. Do it at the start of pax!

The first Q&A would be better.

Just have everyone show them as they entered and have the enforcers at the door with little counting clickers.

Legacy on
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Doing at the first Q+A would be good, methinks.

Just having like, a large sign: "DS'ers in
    > door" would make it easier to get them all through one door and/or into one area of the hall, where a picture/counting would be very very easy. I am totally up for this, and my posse of manly-men all had their DS's with them as well..

Another option would be in one of the handheld lounges/at one of the handheld tournaments, as it would be easy to get all of the DS people in that place at one time, and there are usually a large number of people chilling there playing on DS anyway.. Through a few comments in pictochat or bribe the lazy ones with cookies and they will surely show up. :)

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My college managed to set the records for both Most Simultaneously thrown frisbees and simultaneously dribbled basketballs. At least 900 each time, I don't remember the exact number, but both were set in the halftime of a homecoming game. It shouldn't be too hard with good planning.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Shit, we should be able to get the "most knuckles cracked" while we're at it

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Better yet, we could put a moratorium on all forms of mass knuckle-cracking at PAX.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Porkfry would never allow it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was going to troll this thread, but the knuckle cracking is something I'll show up to the panel for again specifically.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I loved that one time where we all tipped over our Bawls bottles at once.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I loved that one time where we all tipped over our Bawls bottles at once.

That was really fantastic.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That probably would have happened again this year if it weren't for the WSCTC's ban on all non-WSCTC food and drink vending.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    That probably would have happened again this year if it weren't for the WSCTC's ban on all non-WSCTC food and drink vending.

Could've still happened. They gave one Bawls to everyone.

Legacy on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    _______moe wrote: »

Could've still happened. They gave one Bawls to everyone.

And they did sell it. But at $2.50 a bottle.

Highfire on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Friday line idea excludes everyone in the BYOC line. I think the Handheld Lounge is the easiest idea - give it a set time on Friday *after* the keynote. You could also use tensa-barriers to cordon off a specific area if necessary.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The Friday line idea excludes everyone in the BYOC line. I think the Handheld Lounge is the easiest idea - give it a set time on Friday *after* the keynote. You could also use tensa-barriers to cordon off a specific area if necessary.

No.

The first Q&A is the easiest. Hell, even the keynote. The room is going to be packed already and mostly everyone there already has a DS. Not only that, but with one entrance, it'd be much easier to count how many people enter with a DS.

There's no reason to do it at any other time than during something that happens in the main theater.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

No.

The first Q&A is the easiest. Hell, even the keynote. The room is going to be packed already and mostly everyone there already has a DS. Not only that, but with one entrance, it'd be much easier to count how many people enter with a DS.

There's no reason to do it at any other time than during something that happens in the main theater.

I could think of no better way to start PAX off with breaking a world record. We should really ask it be included into the keynote this next year.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has anybody sent the request in to Guinness to see what the official rules are? While we're at it... what other world records are there that we could break?

Video Game Playing Marathon record
    do the PSP, PS3, 360, PC, etc...

And if I don't get a response within the next 3 hours, I'm going to send in a request after we get out of class.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
This discussion has been closed.