As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Seven Wizards for Seven Apocalypses: Now with an ending slapped on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    C1$ - Mana
    C1, cause we need to get that population growing so we can get our resources flowing.

I'm surprised that we don't have more people voting for magma dragons. Sure, they may not all be as helpful as Burny Sanders, but the more summoned lava monsters we can get, the better, I say.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Celebrim wrote: »
    FYI, since I've seen 2 votes now, I don't think we can do A,B, or C without choosing option 1.

Yep. I added that to option C (i missed a and b)be it must not have been clear enough

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I3#-Mana

I think we should take apart the automaton next, though. I'm sure there are other ways we could contact Ingvar if we really tried, and traveling to a frozen wasteland doesn't sound like the most secure way to meet him anyway.

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    C1 #-fortune

Summoning lava monsters really, really sounds good. However, I think studying the reality bending fragments of the universe (which we seem to be inside of? Idunno, metaphysics and magic, its weird) is a higher priority. But reasearch lava dragons will be next, for sure.

As for the upcoming war, I favor working with the sunken city. They likely have the better military (run by a militaristic org) and working with them can lead to us annexing the merchants.

Also, when we finally boil that lake, it will cause the people to believe the end times have come, and that we had ushered in that glorious final age. They will see Cinders as a messenger of the gods and worship us as such.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    But they worship a drowned city, that's like the opposite of our thing.

Remember, the city will rise above the waters near the end times and open their gates to those in the city, etc. So they don't worship the drowned city so much as they worship the city, which happens to be drowned, and they are waiting for it to...un-drown.

Trust me, we would totally be a messiah figure and not spark a war. But we should probably get lava dragons before we do the boiling, just in case.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    I have no idea how to vote, other than I think it would be good to research shard mastery so we can draw mana safely.

What is our attitude to the Caldeot / New Thett situation? Do we care? Do we want to intervene on one side or the other? Or let them have at it?

If we are going to the tundra should we do it sooner rather than later?

Like any proper superpower, we should seek proxies to do most of the dirty work for us. Caldeot is the perfect proxy; zealously consumed by their own small matters and quick to draw swords. Their territory also provides a buffer against future aggressors.

Maybe we can even get New Thett to start paying us what amounts to protection money. We can just frame it as reparations or tribute to our gracious war dogs Caldeot.

Study selection is a hard choice. Summoning & bonemancy synergy are both tempting, but mastery seems like it will give us more resources to pump into those toys.

C 1 # Fortune

With Love and Courage
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    I also hope researching the shards allows further research on Vulcanus in the future.

Well, we could always annex Caldeot while they are busy fighting New Thett.

I am expecting in the next couple turns we will get a shiny knight of Caldeot appearing, asking us to form a coalition, but the knight will give us a day to consider the request. Then a sulking figure will come about soon after, clearly trying to avoid the eyes of the knight. He is from New Thett, and they would entreat us to speak on their behalf and restrain Caldeot, and by the way there would be some rewards to reap for such help.

I'd prefer Thett offer something other than silver, but we'll see. We need people, slave trade maybe?

I don't know, we could miss the whole thing if we don't pro-actively scout. We might want to hear the New Thettan side of things.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    C-1-# +Fortune

we need peasant growth. get a tavern and we can start getting more labor force and work done

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Turn 14

Decision C 1 #: Time for delicious volcano and studying the shards
    Bonuses: +6 Fortune, +3 Mana

Things
    Mana: 14 [+9/turn]
    Fortune: 17/50 [+0/turn]
    Growth: 7/10 [+2/turn]
    Peasants: 6
    Population: 12
    Shelter: 25
    Food: 25
    Resources: 6 [+1/turn]
    Silver Pieces: 39 [+1/turn]
    Study: 1/?? [+1/turn]

The Obsidian Tower
    Shards: Foreseen, Loyalist
    +9 mana / turn, +1 resource, / turn, +1 growth / turn
    [Ashvent] - Prevents scrying in the region
    [Scholar's Hall] - Allows research, +1 study/turn

Glassalia
    [Fertile Farm] = +25 food
    [Glass houses] = +25 shelter
    [Lumber yard] = +1 resource / 10 peasants / turn)
    [Tavern] = +1 growth / turn

Individuals & Armies
    Cinders, The Foreseen Lavashaper
    Combat: 5 dice, 4+ strength [Lucky] [Wizard] [Ranged(short)]
    Equipment: Vulcanus
    Vote bonuses: +1 Mana or +1 Fortune per vote

Militia [5 Peasants]
    Combat: 2 dice, 7+ strength, [Swarmfighting]

Skeleton Warriors
    Combat: 2 dice, 8+ strength, [Hard to kill]

The Apprentice, Geomancer
    Combat: 2 dice, 6+ strength [Adaptable] [Wizard]

Sanders, The Magma Wyrm [adds +25 to fortune threshold. Improves fortunes]

Ingvar's Machine [Imprisoned]
    Combat: 3 dice, 5+ strength, [sluggish]

[Adaptable] During a round, one positive trait of the target is cancelled
    [Lucky] One reroll per round
    [Ranged(short)] Make one attack without retaliation before melee
    [Wizard] Must spend 1 mana per round or lose all but one dice
    [Swarmfighting] +1 on rolls when targeting an enemy targeted by another ally
    [Hard to kill] If beaten in combat make a difficulty 8 check. On success the unit is not destroyed
    [Sluggish] Only rolls dice every second round

Artifacts
    Vulcanus
    Grants Ranged(short) to the bearer
    Intelligent(?)

The Archive
    Reflections on the twin shards and their ultimate connection to the artifact once known as The Weir
    Lowers difficulty of drawing by 2
    Increases output of drawing by +1/dice
    Increases mana income by +1 / turn
    Allows shard fusion/destruction

Diplomacy
    The Drowned Lady: Caldeot, the town by the Drowned City
    Relations: Respectful and amiable

Nephroditi: The Bonemancer Wanderer
    Relations: Business-like
    Trade route: +1 silver piece / turn

Axiom: The Fistcaster Loyalist
    Relations: Hatred
    Missing an arm
    Shardless

Ingvar: The Instigator Mechano-Sage
    Relations: Unknown

Summary
    Cinders had spotted that the peasants lacked a place to gather, that they had a fondness for intoxication, that they were missing their usual bouts of fisticuffs. Following their excellent work inside the tower, it was time that they had a reward. The trees around the conical glass houses has been pushed back quite considerably by the various logging activities.

Vulcanus had followed its master down into the village, and it bobbed happily by her side as she set about her work. In the end the tavern was a strange looking thing. A shaft of earth had been cut away for several hundred feet until it struck a magma vent. The molten reds and yellows boiled and shifted down there below a thick floor of crystal clear glass that covered over the opening. Clear aside from a lattice work of jet lack filaments that were barely visible except below your own feet. They almost followed a pattern. One that was so simple but just outside understanding.

The rest of the structure was a dome of translucent blue. Like a little piece of the sea that had been brought inland. The light from the molten lake below it made it shimmer during the night, giving the impression of life. Some kind of great bio-luminescent beetle. The furnishings between the glass exterior and floor were a contrast of semi-improvised wood. Barrels serving as tables, a few coarse wooden benches made from offcuts and so on. And at the heart was the bar itself. At the moment, it was just that, a raised bench, a few planks and a couple of kegs for pouring frothy salt-ale into wooden cups.

Often during the night, Vulcanus fixed himself above the door. One part inhuman bouncer, one part glowing pub sign.

Retiring to her study within the tower, Cinders stood within a room filled with blank basalt monoliths. These were her sheets of parchment. Opening the scroll case she'd found a lifetime ago in the sand, she was unsurprised to find that the writings concerned The Weir. The semi-sentient container for a world. Between the tattered pages and her own first hand study of the crystal shards, Cinders made more progress in one night than she had since she arrived in this place.

The coal and the quartz had splintered from The Weir. It was no coincidence either that the smouldering lump of stone had ended up next to Cinders. It was inevitable. Similarly, that Axiom, the apprentice devoted to serving the masters of the Institute had been left the heart of The Weir. Looking within it now, Cinders could see the broken shadow of the world she had left behind trapped within. She could make out the form of the Institute with the tiny mages wandering its corridors, desperately trying to undo the ravages that had been visited upon them.

Cinders had believed that The Weir contained another world, and she had assumed that was where she now stood. The writings confirmed that this was not the case. This was the true world, the one she had come from was an artificial creation. That creation, the world of wizardry, had been rich with magic leaving the exterior drained of that chaotic essence. The question remained who had sealed away the magic within The Weir. The Institute? The people of this world in a rejection of magic? Some deity? Or was it just some cosmic inevitability to drive the energy down into solid form?

Axiom had managed to draw a few figments from the quartz shard, the Arbiters, but they couldn't fully pass between the two worlds. If the Weir remained in distinct pieces then it would be impossible for anything to ever cross completely. Cinders herself could not think of anything from the old world, her former home, that she would want to bring across. Still, reuniting the shards carried an attraction. A chance to restore the previous balance.

Alternatively, Cinders could destroy the shards. Each would remove another wounded piece of the old world, the prison of magic, and restore this world to what it had once been. Assuming that was a cause worth pursuing?

Regardless, it was time to choose.
    [Research outcome: Lowers difficulty of drawing by 2, Increases output of drawing by +1/dice, Increases mana income by +1 / turn, Allows shard fusion/destruction]

Decision Time
    (A letter, a number, a symbol from each option and then and specify Mana/Fortune for your vote bonus)

Peasant action:
    A*: Build houses (shelter for 25 peasants) (costs 15 resources)
    B: Build a farm (+20 food) (Costs 15 resources)
    C: Build a ship (allows contact with Drome and whaling) (costs 100 resources)
    E: Scout the mainland [specify south or east]
    F: Train scouts (gives a difficulty 15 check on all future exploration to get a minor bonus) (costs 5 resources)
    G: Establish a trade route with Caldeot (+1 silver piece / turn) (costs 10 silver pieces)
    H: Raise militia (produces a [Militia] unit, costs 5 resources and 5 peasants)
    I : Work a double shift on the sawmill (produces 5+1d6 resources)

Cinders action:
    1: Help the peasants (Pay 2x resource cost in mana and 0 resources on build, or pay 5 mana on production to obtain +1d6 resources) [Make sure the peasant action chosen makes sense]
    2: Try to draw more mana from the crystal shards (difficulty 11: Success gains 3d6+3 mana, Failure is bad)
    3: Accelerate the experiments (costs 3 mana to obtain +1d6 study)
    4: Call for an audience with Nephroditi (costs 3 mana)
    5: Boil the lake to expose the drowned city (costs 100 mana)
    6: Attack/Annex Caldeot (specify units)
    7: Release the automaton and follow it to the tundra and Ingvar's reunion (specify units)
    8: Muse quietly on your throne (effectively a turn skip)

Study selection:
    £: On the interactions of lavashaping with the wider inherent energies of the natural world, a study into previously forbidden aspects of the college [Improves lavashaping wizardry] (50 study)
    $: A detailed consideration of the entities which lurk below and how to effectively bind them into perpetual servitude [Allows summoning] (25 study)
    %: Of the interplay between bonemancy and lavashaping: Flaming skulls or smouldering corpses? [Synergy with or defence against bonemancy] (10 study)
    &: Dismemberment of the physical form and distillation of the dominant ethers within the autonomous construct gifted by the wizard Ingvar [Extract secrets from Ingvar's machine] (10 study) - Prevents following it to the tundra
    @: A discourse concerning cosmological systems: On the marvellous proportion of the celestial spheres and on the true and particular causes of the number, magnitude and periodic motions of the heavens [Improves foreseen wizardry] (50 study)
    #: On the origin of Vulcanus by means of ethereal selection, and the sub splintering of the world crystal [Improves Vulcanus] (25 study)

Fusion/Shattering:
    +: Fuse the quartz and the coal together into a single crystal
    -: Shatter the quartz to destroy the part of the world within and release its magic back to the world

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I, 3, @, +, fortune

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    G, 3, $, +, Mana

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Does [Lucky] carry over to non-combat rolls?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »

Nope

F 3 + Fortune
    No point in selecting a Study area, since we can't afford any of it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    E (South) 3 @ + Mana

@Bursar we get +study a round, we are picking the subject we want to focus on and thus get once we hit the target. Picking a study is vital so it will come on line the moment we can afford it.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Nope

damn

@Mojo_Jojo if we destroy the quartz do we loose the extra mana it produces , and if we fuse the crystals do we keep it? So we can tell if we are sacrificing known benefits for unknown benefits/negatives/craziness.

zekebeau wrote: »
    @Mojo_Jojo if we destroy the quartz do we loose the extra mana it produces , and if we fuse the crystals do we keep it? So we can tell if we are sacrificing known benefits for unknown benefits/negatives/craziness.

No comment

E (south) 3 $ - Fortune

Okay, hear me out.

Checking out Thett is a good idea before the war starts up so we know what we're up against/what our new alley will look like.

Study has clear benefits, and studying lava dragons is a great thing, QED we should learn to summon.

Now destroying the Quartz is gonna be controversial. But the key take away is it RELEASES magic into the world we currently inhabit. That means we'll get another apprentice (most likely) and being the focus point of the release would likely imbue our lands with the increased magical energy instead of empowering the whole world. So our crops will grow with magical speed, our beer will have healing benefits, our peasants will become fire-resistant, and livestock will start speaking (to tell us which of their parts are the tastiest).

Merging the crystals we get some hippie balance and maybe those jerks from the wizarding world get to come over here and try and tell us what to do? No, lame, not my Cinders.

Destroy the quartz, release the magic so we can harness it, and eventually watch the world burn.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    E(South)
    $
    -
    Fortune

But if we join them now, can't we decide to destroy them later if we so wish?

If we merge the crystals, we can find a way to communicate with the wizards within the world inside. They can then provide us with information/temporary magic helpers if they think we're on their side.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    - Fortune and F 3 $ I guess

discrider on
    discrider wrote: »
    - Fortune [/b][/color]

Don't do this please, it's a pain when I'm counting. Just edit your previous vote

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    If we merge the crystals, we can find a way to communicate with the wizards within the world inside. They can then provide us with information/temporary magic helpers if they think we're on their side.

this. this is what we should do with the crystals. nothing wrong will happen...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CyMqQBO8w

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    E (south) 3 $ - Fortune

Break these shards! This world is boring, filled with insufferably stupid & barely useful things. Bring back the good old days, filled with horrifying magical storms & rifts in the space time continuum.

We have seized this milkshake, and so we should drink it!

With Love and Courage
    - Fortune [/b][/color]

Don't do this please, it's a pain when I'm counting. Just edit your previous vote

What previous vote?

But seriously, we hold our sole most powerful enemy in our hands; those of the academy who would wish to contain us.
    And now we are considering sparing them?!

E(South) 2 # + Fortune

Wait, we get to research Vulcanus? Sign me up.

- Fortune [/b][/color]

What previous vote?

Oh. I'm confused. I presumed the partial vote was just to amend something

You're short three bits of voting

- Fortune [/b][/color]

What previous vote?

Oh. I'm confused. I presumed the partial vote was just to amend something

You're short three bits of voting

Ok.

• CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    F 3 $ + Fortune

I'd like to get trained scouts before sending out a scouting party, but I'm happy to prioritize scouting once we have them.

Summoning might allow special servants like Sanders or at least allow us to shore up our forces, and being decently complicated (25 points) I think its worth kickstarting our research with some mana.

I'm on the fence about the shards. I see the point about the benefits of releasing magic, but there is no guarantee that we alone benefit from that release, we could be giving aid to potential rivals (whether other wizards or upstart mages in these cities we've found). I'd rather have a double-shard to work with and then consider smashing others we acquire. Of course, hoarding power by fusing the shards is probably the path that created the Institute in the first place...

Yes, but us being in control of the Institute would be pretty solid.

The only reason we rebelled (probably) was that someone was in charge and it wasn't us.

we hold our sole most powerful enemy in our hands; those of the academy who would wish to contain us.
    And now we are considering sparing them?!

Destroy those close minded fools who dared to enslave us with their rules and decrees. Only OUR rules and decrees should matter in the brave new world.

Except our crystal. It seems to be why we have a tower, which is very nice, what with the lava spewing skull and so on. Again, only OUR crystal should be spared. It is as the fates decree.

edited December 2015
    I'd like to get trained scouts before sending out a scouting party, but I'm happy to prioritize scouting once we have them.

Summoning might allow special servants like Sanders or at least allow us to shore up our forces, and being decently complicated (25 points) I think its worth kickstarting our research with some mana.

I'm on the fence about the shards. I see the point about the benefits of releasing magic, but there is no guarantee that we alone benefit from that release, we could be giving aid to potential rivals (whether other wizards or upstart mages in these cities we've found). I'd rather have a double-shard to work with and then consider smashing others we acquire. Of course, hoarding power by fusing the shards is probably the path that created the Institute in the first place...

The definite rival we have was using the shard to bring in his allies from that fake world.
    Why are we not smashing the institute who would deny us our place in this world?

discrider on
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular

Sounds like we know it works! I'm on board!

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina