As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Ugh.

I think I've figured out what's holding me back the most. Sure, I need to macro better during fights, but I reallllly need to make better decisions. I just lost a game to proxy DTs when I scouted the citadel going down, and I just didn't rush for detection quick enough. I think I thought I had more time; he walled off at home and probably made his citadel proxy and his shrine in his base, given what info I saw. But given a full walloff of his main, I scouted around thoroughly and found the gateway/citadel combination and prepared for a defense, but just was too late getting detection. And it should've been obvious that DTs were on the table, and if not DTs, then blink, and robo is good against both of those.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Aside from DTs macro solves most poor decisions, though.

While I was working my way up from silver I faced a lot of "roach rushes" that I didn't scout. But the opponent's macro was so crap that even my greedy play had plenty of defense by the time it got to me.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    i wish you could rank up faster in co-op. at the moment i am level 9 on zagara and it takes roughly 2 games to gain a level (brutal difficulty and random mission for +125% XP). however at level 5 or so things stopped being even remotely challenging. i jumped to brutal yesterday and my teammate was also level 9 (keep in mind level 15 is the recommended level). it was trivial to just steamroll the computer. i have only played the "prevent the bad guy ships from escaping" map so maybe the others are more difficult but it is basically auto pilot. i know i would be annoyed if the computer just cheated to try and compete with human players but they need to add something. i want to max out the levels since some of the abilities seem fun but it's kind of silly in the current state.

edit: it is also kind of annoying that it takes a solid 4-5 minutes for the game to load.

WingedWeasel on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    The optional objectives are totally irrelevant, 2k xp, which is a shame because that could have been something that was really difficult and upped the reward, but still by no means necessary to do.

Though are either of you playing the game on an airconditioning unit? I get annoyed when a partner sits on a toaster, making the game take somewhere between 30-45 secs to load.

Panda4You wrote: »
    The optional objectives are totally irrelevant, 2k xp, which is a shame because that could have been something that was really difficult and upped the reward, but still by no means necessary to do.

Though are either of you playing the game on an airconditioning unit? I get annoyed when a partner sits on a toaster, making the game take somewhere between 30-45 secs to load.

i am playing with randoms so not on my end :P

however SC2 as a whole takes forever to load up (initially) for me but playing archon with @invictus loads relatively quickly. the optional objectives are also trivial unfortunately. it is only a matter of whether we even want to bother not whether it is possible.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    brutal is way too easy past a few levels

Dhalphir wrote: »

yup, which is unfortunate. i mean even if it is player favored that is fine, but it is just unbelievably auto pilot.

@invictus and i are finally positive w/l for archon! mostly because i stopped blowing up our own stuff with disruptors.

yup, which is unfortunate. i mean even if it is player favored that is fine, but it is just unbelievably auto pilot.

@invictus and i are finally positive w/l for archon! mostly because i stopped blowing up our own stuff with disruptors.

And I finally got clean enough macro to get us up to platinum, when we were originally placed in silver!

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    [edit] Wrong thread!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »
    [edit] Wrong thread!

LURKER IDENTIFIED

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    [edit] Wrong thread!

LURKER IDENTIFIED

[Research Tunneling Claws]
    Run away, run away...!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Just finished mainlining the campaign. It was great

So when does SC3 come out? 12 years? 20?

8EVmPzM.jpg
    Good news is karax and a new coop map are in the patch notes. Bad news is that there's no new zerg or Terran commanders.

Oh well. Getting shit out one step at a time is alright with me, as long as it won't be six months down until the next patch.
    But knowing Blizz....

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Just finished mainlining the campaign. It was great

So when does SC3 come out? 12 years? 20?

Yeah I finished Legacy last night. That was a lot of fun! That last part seems like it'd be brutal on anything but Normal.

edited December 2015
    Wooooo! Just played a 30 minute (!) archon PvT with @Variable on Ulrena.
    Went up to 5 bases and had the full protoss tech tree, including substantial use of both storm and disruptors. They played mainly bio, with some tanks and mines. At one point Vari told me over voice that we'd lost, and I had to tell him that we hadn't yet, and ten minutes later it was made official.

How do you feel about disruptors now, Vari? :)

Invictus on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    all I know is protoss is OP

that's why I disruptor'd 6 of our zealots. just proving how ez toss is.

yup that was it

that's also why I blinked into an army and then walked away from it, sent 5 zealots to die by walking at the terran army, lost 2 templar to a mine that I was staring at before and after it triggered

alllll according to plan

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I missed it in the karax announcement but the future coop commanders will be paid dlc. No word on whether new maps will be as far as I saw.

Also allegedly brutal in coop now supports the fastest speed, but it seems there are conflicting reports

Yeah, blizz pricing for new commanders will be a "see ya never". :/

Karax is an interesting concept, prot mech basically. Vorazun has made me complacent though, just a-moving a carrier deffball wasn't easy to accomplish nor do. :(
    Holy fuck those bastards are expensive!

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So, I've completed the campaign, and this video is all I have to say about ending:

played my first coop on the new map. my teammate was a level 6 karax and it was actually a little challenging since the AI will launch multi pronged attacks and has some relatively thick defenses setup. however as i mentioned only a level 6 karax so it may become much simpler when people play appropriately leveled commanders.

If anyone's interested in archon, message me on Battle.net at Invictus#1222. I might be logged into SC2, but I'll be alt-tabbed, and even if I'm just logged into battle.net, you should still message me.

I missed it in the karax announcement but the future coop commanders will be paid dlc. No word on whether new maps will be as far as I saw.

Also allegedly brutal in coop now supports the fastest speed, but it seems there are conflicting reports

Brutal already runs on Faster. There is no such speed as Fastest in SC2, so this isn't a change.

edited December 2015

Brutal already runs on Faster. There is no such speed as Fastest in SC2, so this isn't a change.

did it in coop? i thought there were reports that it ran 1 step lower? i meant to say faster not fastest

WingedWeasel on
    Seemed normal to me. Increasing the game speed is one of the best reasons to play brutal over Hard as soon as you can.

watching starcraft in korean at 360p

had to install a specific program to stream it

feels like the old days

What is the purpose for the different game speeds any way? There are already difficulty levels. I have never played on the slow speed so I am kind of curious how slow they get.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    In BW the community decided that 'faster' was the appropriate game speed to play competitively on. When SCII came out they ported the multiple game speeds with it.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    I recall the BW ladder being locked to a speed but not what that speed was. It seems odd to have kept that particular thing in place e for sc2. Are the other game speeds that popular?

Also aside from team liquid, is there anywhere else to read up on strategies? I am trying to learn more protoss for the purpose of archon'ing, but a lot of the threads over at TL are just a lot of "NO HOPE" type posts.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    In BW the community decided that 'faster' was the appropriate game speed to play competitively on. When SCII came out they ported the multiple game speeds with it.

Damn, that's right I totally forgot about always deciding on Faster rather than fastest.
    Big Korean tourneys and all made this a common thing too.

I can't quite recall why fastest wasn't used?
    Was it that maybe some of the unit animations or timings were off since some of the micro (muta control, vulture control) require almost perfect control?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    edited December 2015
    Wtf, homerstory cup is in full swing and noone's talking about it????
    Edit: Scarlett vs Demuslim

Panda4You on
    missed that but I am watching both streams here and there, just was out for a bit

Variable wrote: »
    missed that but I am watching both streams here and there, just was out for a bit

They weren't great games.

By the way, here's the details on the new WCS system. Short version: Three WCS Circuit Championships, which are functionally the WCS Premier, 8 Circuit events run by DH/ESL/whoever with Blizzard's assistance, all region-locked to non-Korea. Korean tournaments (apparently) limited to four GSL/S2SL. The champions of each of the major titles, plus the best performers who didn't win one, go to a top 16 global finals at the end of the year, and that tournament will be worth $500,000 total prize money.

demuslim's micro at the third was great.

Just played some ladder. My play is noticeably better even than it was a week ago; people playing archon with me and let me macro while also reading up and doing the work has improved my play by the factors available on the score screen--time supply blocked, average resources banked, APM. The APM improvement is particularly striking; I used to average 60-70 Blizz APM (so multiply that by 1.4 to get real APM) and now I am averaging 90+.

Now, this is tied to a big picture change I've been making as I keep losing more extended games in both nonmirrors; I now play a realllly harass heavy in-your-face warp prism focused style, which adds to the APM.

The bad part is that I don't have the right instincts for this style yet, and I just lost two very tightly played games against higher-ranked opponents that I was crushing most of the game because I kept doing tons and tons of harass and overextending instead of pooling up a big army to take advantage of my harass. Decision-making, as I've said before, is probably a problem for me and it's more important in this style because I need to know when I should be pushing the harass and when I should be consolidating my advantage.

• zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Since last week, APM is reported in real minutes, so the jump you're seeing is probably due to that. Unless you're translating the 90+ APM in your games now to old Blizzard APM?

Account not recoverable. So long.
    @Invictus deciding when to stop harassing is a relatively simple matter, though not easy ingame.

Harass typically hurts an opponents economy, not his army. So once you successfully damage an economy, you need to pull back and consolidate.

I mentioned to invictus that maru lost a game like that last night. you could argue that the ultras meant he couldn't attack but I'm pretty sure he had enough of a lead. instead he kept fighting in small clumps and doing meaningless damage while losing those clumps to an evergrowing army of ultras, which he never prepared to deal with via ghosts

@Invictus deciding when to stop harassing is a relatively simple matter, though not easy ingame.

Harass typically hurts an opponents economy, not his army. So once you successfully damage an economy, you need to pull back and consolidate.

It was awkward, because it felt like in both games I was eventually trading out my adepts efficiently by killing marines/zerglings with good positioning in the mineral line. But I think on the replay I was doing neither as well harassing wise nor as good trading wise, but was still ahead after if I hadn't kept throwing small groups of units.