As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wrote "For Mobile Deposit" on the back of a check now I can't cash it!

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
Hey all,

I have a pickle. I got my state tax refund check, tried to deposit it via my bank by writing "for mobile deposit" on the back and using the banking app. However it turns out they can't take that check because I guess it's a few months old (Long story, I just moved to another state). So now I have a state refund check that says for mobile deposit on the back and check cashing places won't take it. Walmart won't take it either because of the writing on the back and it's endorsed.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this situation? Do I need to open a new bank account, or are there check cashing / depositing services I maybe haven't considered?

Let me know!

Thanks!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You'll probably need to find a local bank to do so.

I've never seen one tell me to do that mobile deposit thing, always made me sign it still.

Go in and talk to a teller/account manager and ask them how they can help you deposit/cash this check. That's about your only option.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Alternatively there has gotta be a way to get the state to reissue it. Either way you're gonna be fighting some bureaucracy.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I know there's some checks that have a 90 day window on it, you should be able to get them to reissue it without too much of a problem. Might be a good idea to find a local CU that has low/no fees and just keep a local account open for shit like this. My web banks doesn't let me deposit >$5000 a day, so this has been an issue once with the mobile deposit that I needed a local bank for.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Also, you can and should (if possible) cash checks at the bank that issued them, not a third party check place.

The check should say on it what bank its drawn from. Since it's a government check it might be something funny so you're out of luck, but if it's like, Chase, you can just walk into a chase branch and cash it.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Checks that aren't typically cashed in 180 days + are sent to an escheatment account / holdover. Call your state tax place and have them reissue it. Otherwise it might be included in a future check as they are legally obligated to get those funds to you unless you are dead.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Speaking as someone who works in a cheque cashing place, albeit up in Canada.

You'll have to request that the cheque be re-issued. If it's too old for your bank, nobody else can take it, either. And no cheque cashing place/holder in due course would touch a mobile deposit cheque with a ten foot pole, it's way too much risk.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Also, you can and should (if possible) cash checks at the bank that issued them, not a third party check place.

The check should say on it what bank its drawn from. Since it's a government check it might be something funny so you're out of luck, but if it's like, Chase, you can just walk into a chase branch and cash it.

This isn't true of most banks anymore. They really want you to have an account there to cash a check, regardless of which back it's drawn from.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah I work at a Canadian bank and we can only cash chequer for a non account holder if they are federal government issue up to 1,500.00 and in our branch from one of 2 native bands that our branch has an indemnity agreement with.

Up here federal cheques never stale date provincial very rarely and personal/commercial at 6 months.

I have never seen the mobile bit and would have to ask about it from a co worker.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

This isn't true of most banks anymore. They really want you to have an account there to cash a check, regardless of which back it's drawn from.

From personal experience, this is not the case at either Wells Fargo, Chase, Citibank, or regional TX banks Frost and BBVA Compass.

If the check is issued from the institution, they will cash it without an account.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The check cashing places won't take it because they're afraid of scams where you mobile deposit, then physically cash it too. That's why the bank asks you to write that on the back when you do mobile deposit.

I'd really recommend you go into a branch of your bank and speak with a manager to see what they can do for you. Also what others said, get the govt to reissue the check for you.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Write "or deposit on account #" if you have a bank account. If not, you could try "or cash to bearer of state drivers license #".

Basically make the instructions fit what you have for verification.

If the check is too old you may have to get it reissued. Contact the state, send the old one back and request a replacement.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy