As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey kid. Do you like Pokemon?

MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
Pokemon was never my thing, but now I have 5 and 6 year old niblings that love that Pikachu. Is there an unpopular or overprinted set out there that could net some cheap packs to give them? I'd just get them a giant bag of bulk commons, but they love opening packs.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    With card games the older the pack is typically the more expensive it gets. The most recent stuff is usually the cheapest by their business model.

I'd advocate steering them away from the CCG side of things and towards the game itself. CCGs are a rabbit hole of costs. At one point, when I played semi-competitively in local tournaments, you were looking at 500 bucks a season in costs easily, with very few ways to recoup that later on. The more cards you buy the more invested you are, justifying more purchases.

And that wasn't even for local tournament level play, just the once a week game tournaments at our card shop.

• Options
    I was just remembering Fallen Empires from my M:tG days, and hoping they'd made a similar mistake. At 5-6 I'm not expecting the kids to hit the tournament scene, it's more about giving them some tangible shiny objects that we don't care if they tear up or leave on the playground. They'll definitely get the electronic versions in a year or two when they can be trusted with a DS.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I say get them some plush pokemon instead.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I say get them some plush pokemon instead.

Best thing about this is the ones being sold at any given time are generally the ones being featured in the cartoon and on the game box art. I'm assuming kids still work like they did in the 80's when I was one, and when they introduce a new character around mid-November we all just go ahead and put it on our Christmas lists trusting that the toy isn't far behind.

Hevach on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Get them an intern Pikachu plush

a3o52wxxr2sd.jpeg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice, but I had a pretty specific use case for these. Plushies don't fit in envelopes for one.
    Got the info I needed, this can close.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Madpoet I think Target/Wal-Mart/etc. tend to have big sets for sale. Dunno if they're individual packs for the joy of opening or just bricks or cards.

3basnids3lf9.jpg