As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Idiots Guide to PC Building

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
So I'm an idiot. And I need help building a PC. I've probably annoyed all the Crysis thread goers enough now which is why I've decided to make a new thread, where all my idiotic (or n00b, if you will) questions could be conveniently answered and/or ignored. See? I'm considerate.

First things first; motherboard. I need a cheap but effective mobo. I'm already picking up the lingo, neat! So, without further ado, any recommendations? I should point out that I'm actually using the case of my old PC. It's a standard ATX.... I think. I mean, it's pretty generic looking. Hopefully it'll do fine. Another thing to note is that I want to keep this as cheap as possible but still be able to kill me some generic bad guys in Crysis. (I know, it's not asking too much is it?)

I should also do a check list of components and stuff

Mamaboard - Asus Motherboard Socket 775 DDR2 800
CPU
PSU
HDD
DVD Drive
GPU - Inno3D 8800GT 512MB PCI-E
RAM - Corsair Value 2GB DDR2 PC4200 (533MHz)

There's probably a shitload of things not put on the checklist but I'm sure one of you guys will point it out.

Big Classy on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keep your drink in another room

Edit: This is the best price you will find on a 8800GT 512MB if you want it.

Inno3D 8800GT 512MB PCI-E - £147.99 delivered (if you are new to google checkout)

if you want a 8600GT instead, it would be £47.28 delivered

I can't seem to find any fantastic deals on cards in the £100 range...

LewieP on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Might want a GPU (videocard) and RAM on that list.

Anyway for mobo I recommend something with a 775 socket so you can get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor in there. Consensus is they're the best value and best for gaming of what's out there right now I think? Don't know much about specific mobos though so I can't help you there.

As for memory, when you're buying make sure it matches your motherboard (DDR2 will probably be what you want).

GPU - the just released 8800GT is sweet value, and really worth spending the cash on. It's just by far the best thing out there for the money, and even outclasses many, more expensive cards. I plan to get one very soon.

Noray on
  • Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Graphics card, RAM, sound card but on-board audio is pretty good these days. Case cooling can't hurt either.

Edit: beaten :(

Pastoriusk2 on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Keep your drink in another room

Personal experience right here.

Shogun on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Duly noted guys, thanks :)
    Sound card I figure is something I could leave out til further down the line. GPU I'm already planning on the 8800GT and I've already got 2GB RAM.

edit: As for the motherboard, this here? It's awfully cheap...

Big Classy on
  • RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you'll also need some ram (you'll want to buy ddr2 at this point but make sure your mobo takes ddr2 ram.

Also a gpu/graphics card, this could be the pricey bit especially if its crysis you want you'll probably want a 7000 series nvidia card if you want to keep it affordable, although min specs for crysis says 6800gt(i wouldn't trust that). make sure your graphics card is pci-e and your mobo has a pci-ex16 slot. As for the physical building there are tutorials all over the web but for god sake DON'T FORGET THE MOTHERBOARD SPACERS!

EDIT: looks like this is not needed at all.

RMH03 on
    edited October 2007
    ooooh! lookie here!
    this is good right? RIGHT?!

Big Classy on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know your in the UK, but going by Newegg these are what I'd get

Video Card: Geforce 8800GT

CPU: For Overclocking For No Overclocking

Motherboard: GigaByte is pretty good

RAM: Holy shit I'm buying this now. Mostly due to the price, but thats also a good set of RAM.

PSU i'm not so sure about, but do not try and save on this. The power supply is really the most important part of any system. You may be able to get lucky with a cheap PSU, or it may kill your motherboard.

Veevee on
  • Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How much you looking to spend on the mobo itself? Cpu probably go for the e6600.

Pastoriusk2 on
    edited October 2007
    Thanks veevee, I'm currently looking at PSU's now. Also, I just ordered an anti-static wrist thing. It's light blue... I'm so cool.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    i have a board similar to this
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=462645
    (i don't think it is this exact model) and it has caused me no problems, as well as obviously the lga775 slot and ddr2 and pci-e the other thing to watch out for is ram speeds, do you know the specs for the ram you have?

RMH03 on
    edited October 2007
    How much you looking to spend on the mobo itself? Cpu probably go for the e6600.

I'm not really sure to be honest. I mean.... the end result, I want it to be able to play stuff like Crysis smoothly.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »

I'm not really sure to be honest. I mean.... the end result, I want it to be able to play stuff like Crysis smoothly.

Honestly I'd keep your dell machine the way it is and just go for a whole new computer. That way you can keep the second computer in a spot that is more convenient to you (living room to chat and watch TV for ultimate lazyness) and keep the gaming PC in a spot that is more conducive to game playing.

Veevee on
    edited October 2007
    RMH03 wrote: »
    i have a board similar to this(i don't think it is this exact model) and it has caused me no problems, as well as obviously the lga775 slot and ddr2 and pci-e the other thing to watch out for is ram speeds, do you know the specs for the ram you have?

From the top of my head, its Corsair DDR2 1GB PC5300 (Dual Channel)

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

Honestly I'd keep your dell machine the way it is and just go for a whole new computer. That way you can keep the second computer in a spot that is more convenient to you (living room to chat and watch TV for ultimate lazyness) and keep the gaming PC in a spot that is more conducive to game playing.

Yeah, I'm not touching my Dell at all. I stuck in some extra RAM but that's coming right back out for use in this new one I plan on making. As it happens, I'm using just the case of an old machine. Everything will be stripped out.

Big Classy on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you find a good power supply, let me know. I'm in the process of building a new PC out of my old one, and I know absolutely nothing about them.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Morticide83Morticide83 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you're going with an AMD Processor, would other people agree that it would be better to go with a motherboard with an AM2 socket type?

I don't remember off the top of my head but I thought that was their current most used socket type for their processors.

Morticide83 on
    edited October 2007
    If you find a good power supply, let me know. I'm in the process of building a new PC out of my old one, and I know absolutely nothing about them.

Awesome, we could blow up our PC's together! (And yeah, I'll let you know, but I likely know less about these darned things than you)

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007

Awesome, we could blow up our PC's together! (And yeah, I'll let you know, but I likely know less about these darned things than you)

No, no you don't...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2007
    RMH03 wrote: »
    i have a board similar to this(i don't think it is this exact model) and it has caused me no problems, as well as obviously the lga775 slot and ddr2 and pci-e the other thing to watch out for is ram speeds, do you know the specs for the ram you have?

From the top of my head, its Corsair DDR2 1GB PC5300 (Dual Channel)
    in that case the mobo i linked above should be fine, throw in a e6600 anda roughly 500w psu from a respectable brand (mine is seasonic, other brands which i can't vouch for 1st hand are enermax and silverstone(others will be more helpfull in this area i'm sure)) you'll be good to go, but if you can stertch to it i'd recomend a new case.

RMH03 on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In the same vein as keeping your drink in another room; build the machine in a room with good natural light. Seriously, you will lose far more random screws and other innocuous but really important junk due to bad light than you will to anything else. Also, take your time and read the manuals first because a lot of components, especially motherboards, come with weird non-standard bits that need special consideration when building the thing.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited October 2007
    I think I need some sort of purchase plan. First up: PSU! Can't do nothing without it. Here's what I'm looking at. cheap but I'm hoping it's up to the task

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I do have a few questions of my own.

A) I have a 250 watt PSU in this PC (I bought a prebuilt Dell desktop). Is this powerful enough to throw a new GPU in there, such as a GeForce 8600GT?

B) GPUs are self-cooling, right? Would I need a better cooling unit (I'm sure mine is below-average) if I wanted to put new parts in this PC?

C) I have a puny 40gb HDD. Do HDDs use a lot of power or run hot?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2007
    Using this guide from Ars Technica They recomend this PSU.

Actually, looking at the guide its a really good one to follow. And they chose a really good monitor too (the one I use)

Veevee on
    edited October 2007
    Using this guide from Ars Technica They recomend this PSU.

Actually, looking at the guide its a really good one to follow. And those choose a really good monitor too (the one I use)

I can't seem to find that on any UK sites. I also purchased the Asus mobo RMH03 suggested. It's officially starting.
    I'm gonna wait for that to arrive and then order the next component. Better safe than sorry!

Big Classy on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know your in the UK, but going by Newegg these are what I'd get

RAM: Holy shit I'm buying this now. Mostly due to the price, but thats also a good set of RAM.

PSU i'm not so sure about, but do not try and save on this. The power supply is really the most important part of any system. You may be able to get lucky with a cheap PSU, or it may kill your motherboard.

I am in the same spot he is and while it will take a long while till I can buy all the parts I need and get me a copy of xp and vista (going to duel it since I will probably play a lot of games and use a lot of software that isn't optimized for vista yet). But I will get this as soon as I get...what am I saying, I can order it now!

Anyway, do yall have any cheap case recommendations?

I will go off PC gamer cheap list for the dvd drive and media stuff.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited October 2007
    With that mobo, make sure any RAM you get is a DDR2 800 aka PC6400 as that will get you the best performance.

Veevee on
    edited October 2007
    Will do, a litle worried though as the order isn't appearing on the accounts list........
    I should point out that I'm not made of money so this'll likely take a while before it's finished.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Will do, a litle worried though as the order isn't appearing on the accounts list........
    I should point out that I'm not made of money so this'll likely take a while before it's finished.

Then make sure the LAST thing you buy is the GPU. Second to last being the CPU. Preferably buy them together. Also understand that 1 month after you buy them, something will come out thats cheaper and better.

I got lucky and got my 8800GTS in april, and it took till now for something better to come out, but that is not the norm.

Veevee on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It depends upon where you order from of course, but if you are ordering from a well respected site such as newegg you can safely order the other parts now and return something if you need to.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited October 2007
    true dat. All in all, it'll be an interesting ride. I'll keep this updated as best I can. And I gotta give thanks once again.

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah that got me the first time i ordered from them to, wait untill office hours, they are also quick to respond via Email in my experience. I use them and novatech.com

RMH03 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's a good thing this thread is here, because I'm an idiot when it comes to upgrades.

I've run every new game I've gotten on this PC so far without any trouble(including Vampire: Bloodlines and F.E.A.R., which is what I got it for), and now it says I don't have enough physical memory to run Hellgate.

What do I have to go through to fix this? The simpler, the better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, I hope the OP doesn't mind.

I'm using an ASUS A8N5X and am currently running with a AMD 3700+. After browsing newegg a bit It's become apparent that socket 939 processors are basically dead, so my question is would it be worth it to upgrade to the best bang for your buck 939 CPU or should I be looking at saving up for a new (probably intel this time :( ) Motherboard? Would upgrading to the best 939 CPU even make much of a difference from a 3700+?

Scosglen on
    edited October 2007
    RAM, I would guess. But I'd better leave that one for the more edumacated folk.

RMH, phew! I was getting a llittle worried there for a sec. That place has some insane prices. I'm thinking I might buy a new case as well now!

The thread is for idiots, Scosglen, you're more than welcome here! Join us in our idiot clan dear brother! (Eh deus ex does that to you)

Big Classy on
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's a good thing this thread is here, because I'm an idiot when it comes to upgrades.

I've run every new game I've gotten on this PC so far without any trouble(including Vampire: Bloodlines and F.E.A.R., which is what I got it for), and now it says I don't have enough physical memory to run Hellgate.

In theory but more ram (providing you have an empty slot another stick identical to your existing ram is ideal) ensuring that the speed matches your existing ram (check in the bios, hit delete at startup) plug it in and job done.

RMH03 on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

For the sake of thoroughness, could you post your entire system specs?

The simplest solution is probably just to buy another 256 or 512 meg ram DIMM, which can be as cheap as $25-50 depending on how fast it is.

Scosglen on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cross-posted, but:
    Computer Manufacturer & Model: Compaq Presario SR1820NX
    Maximum Memory Capacity: 4.0 GB
    Total Number of Memory Slots: 4

Currently Installed Memory
    Memory Slot 1: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 2: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 3: Slot is empty – Ready to accept memory upgrade
    Memory Slot 4: Slot is empty – Ready to accept memory upgrade

Installation is done internally, I'm guessing? I'm sure I can figure it out, I'm just not too familiar with a PC's inner workings.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, I hope the OP doesn't mind.

I'm using an ASUS A8N5X and am currently running with a AMD 3700+. After browsing newegg a bit It's become apparent that socket 939 processors are basically dead, so my question is would it be worth it to upgrade to the best bang for your buck 939 CPU or should I be looking at saving up for a new (probably intel this time :( ) Motherboard? Would upgrading to the best 939 CPU even make much of a difference from a 3700+?
    If its new PC games you want to run sooner or later your going to have to rebuild, if you have a PCI-e slot you could get away with an upgrade now and then use the graphics card you have in a new build later on but sonner or later your going to have to bite the bullet, depending on your financial situation i'd suggest just going for it now. Affordable DX10 cards+e6600 cpu+mobo can probably be done for not far off £500 then you'd just need ram as long as you have a decent PSU, case drives etc. (they can be upgraded later anyway)

edit: cj you can get 2x512mb for around £35(don't know if your in the uk or not) i'd be tempted just to go for that, you'll see a massive performance increase almost garanteed, although if the rest of your pc is of simmilar spec you may still struggle with recent games like HG:L

edit edit: and yes it really is a simple as making sure the clips at either end of the ram slot are open and firmly slotting the new stick in untill they close. Don't force anything but a firm pressure is required.

RMH03 on
    edited October 2007
    This is what my case looks like from the back and since thats the infamous ANtec, I'm guessing I have a good reliable case.
    509814-A.jpg

Big Classy on