As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blade & Soul] WARLOCK! Poharan/Cerulean Order! Leveling Challenge!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    So for anyone who enjoys a good single player challenge, I just went through the first dungeon (level 20) on the Chinese game of this as a level 24 Blade Master. That was a very exciting experience and the stuff I received from there was worthwhile . Not really experience wise though. But Man was it fun. BM is the perfect class for that kind of thing though. The block makes it involve quite a bit of skill but not the cheese that assassins or summoners can do.

Anyone going to be on for the next CBT? I managed one of the codes from the Razor giveaway.

I don't know how much I will be doing. Likely just whatever my guild wants to gather for. I do most of my testing of classes and such on the CN version since leveling is so insanely fast there. It has some kind of "vitality" system that is supposed to limit how much you can level in a day, but I have such small play sessions and it gives bonuses for underuse so I actually go faster because of it. I also got some kind of booster to get my ping below 100 (!) so its completely playable as well.

Still super stoked for release though.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'm pretty much tapping out until release as progress is getting wiped then. Does everyone have a planned server for release? If not, we could try coordinating everyone onto a server if anyone's interested. Otherwise, I'll be on Devilian for awhile.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    The guild I am in will be on Mushin. If anyone does not have a home and is looking I could let them know. Its a pretty laid back place (since I need a casual guild personally) with a good mix of different players. They seem really anime centric though, but thats pretty much the major crowd for the game I guess.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Yeah I tapped out in CBT one after deciding I like it enough. I was on mushin as well

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    I should likely just be patient for the release but the game has really grabbed me by the balls. I think I consider this all practice for when its all permanent because I will not be able to do the head start, so I need all the advantage I can get to keep up.

I think I changed my mind on a main though, I am feeling more towards Blade Master over Assassin because BM seems to have a lot more significant options for playstyle.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    So, as far as dungeons are concerned, I'm assuming it is more in the GW2 camp of every character handles themselves, since I haven't really seen any supporty or tanky classes.

i.e., no MMO trinity?

Yes except it is mostly possible to tank. KFM and BM have high threat options in their skill trees and can block or counter most damage (BM especially because they can block all hits for 2-4 seconds and the CD of block is shorter than its duration).

The only healing in the game is potions outside of a few skill tree choices, and you can raise people from half dead kind of like how GW2 does it but without the ability to fight while down. But overall the dungeons are pretty much every man for himself.

In fact that is why a lot of it is soloable.

Surprisingly though most of the fights are a lot more interesting than the ones in GW2s dungeons. Maybe not the new raid in GW2 as I have not tried that, but GW2's raid fights are actually almost back to the trinity anyway.

Kai_San wrote: »
    Yes except it is mostly possible to tank. KFM and BM have high threat options in their skill trees and can block or counter most damage (BM especially because they can block all hits for 2-4 seconds and the CD of block is shorter than its duration).

The only healing in the game is potions outside of a few skill tree choices, and you can raise people from half dead kind of like how GW2 does it but without the ability to fight while down. But overall the dungeons are pretty much every man for himself.

In fact that is why a lot of it is soloable.

Surprisingly though most of the fights are a lot more interesting than the ones in GW2s dungeons. Maybe not the new raid in GW2 as I have not tried that, but GW2's raid fights are actually almost back to the trinity anyway.

While I really enjoyed GW2 for a lot of the things it did, I thought the dungeon content was kind of a mess (at/near launch, no idea now), so I'm glad to hear B+S is more interesting.

Well its likely because BnS actually has tanking. I mean you kind of could in GW2 but it was less than ideal. In GW2 you have untelegraphed abilities and difficult to discern spell effects while you are required to outright dodge them or die most of the time. In BnS you have telegraphs like Wildstar does them on the ground. Yellow ones can be blocked or countered as well as walked out of, while red ones have to be iframed (invincibility time is on some skills, mostly movement ones, and you need to time them very well to avoid the red telegraphs). Overall though the few instances I have seen of some of the later dungeons shows they are much better at both using the telegraphs and overall boss design than the dungeons I played in GW2 were. Also the dungeons that aren't going to be release in the US/EU versions on launch that are done in the KR version are supposedly a lot better too. There is going to be a solid flow of dungeon content to come our way at least.

GW2 seemed to also emphasize removing tanking less so than healing from the trinity, while BnS is more about removing the healing from it.

There is also the fact that IMO overall combat in BnS is MUCH more rewarding. Doing dps is much more involved than GW2 will ever be and the plethora of animation canceling makes you feel MUCH more badass whenever you perfectly time damage avoidance with minimal interruption to your damaging.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, I've been trying out Blade Dancer in the beta and with all the Force Grab moves I had no idea I picked the Jedi Warrior class to try.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    How this compares to Age of Wulin (Age of Wushu in the US, I think?) if someone's played it?

I loved some aspects of AoW, but in the end something felt off. I'm more of a PvE guy and AoW was not a very good PvE game (I played in the beginning, no idea what is the situation now). Loved the setting, and martial arts were really awesome when they worked as supposed. All that running on water and triple jumps and the other usual wuxia stuff were magnificent.

Crafting tried to be different too, though I remember folk stealing from my rice fields and all that usual annoyance.

Which brings me to the second question, is there crafting in B&S? And if there is, is it any better than basic MMO crafting?

This game looks interesting, although I am not a great fan of big milk bags with next-to-nothing clothes... I know, I'm weird like that :(

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote: »
    This game looks interesting, although I am not a great fan of big milk bags with next-to-nothing clothes... I know, I'm weird like that :(

All four races have distinct visual designs and outfits are different on each of them. Yun, for example, are far more conservative and elegant.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    There is crafting. I just looked it up today in fact as I was not getting into that in the beta. Apparently gathering is a discover the thing once in the world then place "orders" for the mats that are timed. It was described almost as a facebook game in that you just need to remember to set a new order whenever one is done.

Crafting is basically the same thing but needs mats in addition to placing orders. You level up your rank in both crafts and gathering to get the better resources / recipes available. I think the later crafting ones you also need to find the recipes in dungeons and such.

The results of the crafts are pretty simple though. All seem to at least make one of the multiple consumables that are otherwise somewhat rare or extremely expensive from NPCs. You can make weapons and jewelery but they are pretty bad and at least in the version of the game we are getting you get these base purple quality items for weapon and accessories that you just upgrade those throughout the game. So the ones you can craft are really only good for fodder to upgrade your purple ones. Same with the soul shields you can craft though those are slightly more valuable because when you evolve soul shields the stat it gets is based on the fodder you use, so you can have some control over it when you can craft it (ones received from dungeons are random, but since you can get stronger ones from there the resulting upgraded peice gets more of the stat so its still a bit better to just grind the dungeons for them).

However, there are Guild (they are called Clans because the crafting and gathering proessions are guilds) recipes you can use to make stuff that require at least one person maxed in a crafting Guild for specific crafts each. So far there are not too many things, but eventually one of them will be a fully custom outfit (which are REALLY nice) so at a minimum you will need at least one person per craft maxed to get these things. The list is really short now but the most recent version in KR has a long list apparently so its something that will be nice later on.

So for the most part crafting is meh but at least its super simple and mostly a log in for a few minutes to maintain thing.

As for the boobs and skimpy costumes, as was said the Yun are pretty conservative and can be made to be very reasonable. Gon however, cannot though you can minimize the damage so to speak. This might kind of suck for some though because classes are race locked and if you want to be a destroyer you have to be a Gon.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Lin ladies actually look pretty good, none of the creepy bullshit like Tera has. Just a lot of cool baggy pants.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    If you buy one of the founder packs, are you able to access the beta at any time, or is it more like scheduled blocks of time?

Scheduled blocks. Its the same beta you can get keys for on your own.

I was given an invite from them for CBT3 but I managed to find a key for this most recent one fairly easily. Just check the reddit for it around when the next CBT start (I think its next weekend, its the last one too).

edited December 2015
    I'd like to make male Jin, most likely a Kung Fu master. KFM could be a challenging option, but on the other hand that swordy swordy class looks fun too, and Assassin too!

This will be a hard decision, luckily I have only 3 options because Jin is the most relatable race for me...

The two PvP factions seem to be essentially Order & Chaos. I've always liked my order, thank you very much.

And skimpy outfits actually are not so skimpy after all, I watched a bunch of videos and stuff, everything seem to be quite ok.

Those Move Charts in the Class sections of the website are so nice!

And thank you so much for Crafting info, that sounds okish, so my dream of being a wandering sandal maker who solves problems with his fist is a real possibility now!

Grebnu on
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

The engine does allow you to shrink the milk bags a bit. In fact one of the races had a glitch if you made the breasts too big with certain outfits.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »

The engine does allow you to shrink the milk bags a bit. In fact one of the races had a glitch if you made the breasts too big with certain outfits.

Is the glitch what I think it is?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I have never seen what that glitch is, but I know the race.

Basically if you do not like the ridiculous oversized breasts you make a Yun or Lyn. Or.... make a male. Jin can be made to be ok, Gon actually look worse if you try to give them small chests.

The odd thing is the "jiggle" effects both make them look more realistic AND less realistic at the same time and I don't even know why that makes sense but it does. In the Chinese version the jiggle is turned off. Obviously it is less distracting but it kind of does something to make them look kind of weird. Especially when they are oversized.

I only really get annoyed at seeing the people who purposely made really skinny girls but set every single breast setting to max. And less because of the non realistic factor, but because it just doesn't look good from a creativity standpoint.

But well, that aspect of the game is what it is. Pick the right outfits and put the settings at minimum and you won't notice it hardly ever with all the crazy animations anyway. Just... don't turn the camera front facing while you are flying.

edited December 2015
    This game actually do not have that excessive skimpyness like many other games, as I said in my later post. It looks decent, not like playing some game where all of the females have escaped some luxury brothel.

Everything I read about this game suggests that this could be something nice to play, I like having a couple of MMOs I play regularly.

EDIT.
    Lots of codes given to various websites for the upcoming beta event, found this Reddit link where you can see for yourself:
    https://reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/3wy4pu/megathread_cbt5_beta_key_giveaways_no/

I hope that I am not breaking any rules here. Got one from the second French link.

"This final beta weekend runs from December 18 at 10am PST/7pm CET until December 21 at 10pm PST/December 22, 7am CET."

Grebnu on
    I'll double post because I don't know how this forum deals with edits (does it show them as new post or something)...

I am downloading the beta client. Any hints what to do first? I'd like to have as broad experience with different game mechanics as possible in this short time.

Well you only have a few days and its all going to be reset. Best thing to do is attempt to fly through the story quests for now and try to get to around level 15. That gets you to the first major town. From there pvp COULD be tolerable with the skills you have (heavilly depends on class) so there is that. Likely the most enjoyable thing you can do right now unless you have the time and for some odd reason inclination to level to max.

If you push to 20 you can do the first dungeon (well actually 18 if you wanted). Also that would get you a few of the customization points if you made it through all the story quests to that point. Its around level 16 or 17 you get that (its chapter 17 in the quest line).

If you want something worth your while for launch, play with the character creation. A lot. You can save appearances from that for use on launch. I think you can even do so with alternate regions clients for the US one. Just keep in mind we know at least there will be a few new hair colors. I dont think anything else, but if there was it would be hair so just keep that in mind I guess.

I do not think with the few days we have you could level enough classes high enough to get a feel for what you want to play. I think you really need to hit at LEAST 20 as to unlock skill points (and at least a few to play with) and get enough of the classes skills to know how it feels. Also the dungeon content is faceroll until max level really. It could be hard if you went in with everyone at the minimum level though. For some reason I could queue for a level 36 dungeon at 20, and I was able to do so with not even many deaths (granted I don't think I was contributing much and we had a level 45, but still).

How do you save appearances? I wanna play with the character creator but I don't know what everything does, so being able to save what I like would be nice.

Also, do we know how many character slots you'll have at launch? Trying to decide which level of founder's packs I want.

I think its just 2 slots base? Some people say its better to just have a new account per char unless you are going to be doing a premium account.

Apparently even just a screenshot will save a characters appearance, but during creation there is an appearance saver button.

The whole screenshot interface has a sytem to it. After taking one go to the photos section (I think you get a pop up for it when you take a SS) and you should be able to finangle an appearance out of that.

The appearances save to a folder somewhere so you can get them even when beta is over if it ends up being a new client. I dont know the folder offhand though it should be easy to google.

Fighting is quite fun in this! Kung Fu Master is a fun class to play.

Game seems to be quite polished, everything is neat. I like the colourful UI.

I have developed my mittens too, nice mechanic, and that soul sound or whatever is neat too.

And thanks for the hints, maybe I just fool around and get used to controls then.

I just can't understand how do you open the extra inventory space, got three "modules" but I can't use them...

All in all this looks very nice. Colourful, world looks nice, movement and everything smooth... I think that I have to stay with this game for a while... I don't know if those founder's packs are worth it, apparently you get all the stuff just for one character. That is a pity and immediately makes me cautious of spending money.

The 120 dollar pack its worth it from the standpoint of how much that stuff will cost later. But if you do not value things like premium and whatever you get for ncoins then none of them are worth it.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Lin Blade Dancer is my jam. They almost play like a goddam Tales of jrpg character. Certain actions allow them to sideswipe or blind side, getting behind the target immediately by using the strafe keys after certain chain attacks

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Getting Error 4041. Tried Googling for a fix that isn't "reinstall Windows."

I like how the hits from the Kung Fu Master feel. Feels like playing one of those Kung Fu Masters in movies where they don't do any flashy movements but only the necessary. And you can feel the weight in their hits.

I've seen those Blade Dancers and that other class, and they look fun indeed. Maybe one day I'll try that too.

Ooh, and Assassin with stealth ability, I just have to try it. I like rogues in games, one of my stereotypical choices. Ranger is another one.

Actually, I'll try today all the classes because after all, it is the last day of beta event and maybe I fall in love with something else than KFM!

Assassin definitely does not feel like a rogue. It is funny, because at it's core it should play most like the Thief from GW2 (temporary stealth) but it does not really feel that way. I guess because much of stealth is tied to counters especially early on. Eventually you can get into stealth more reliably offensively but your most available stealth options will always be defensive moves (normal counter, ground counter, your iframe sidestep).

Assassins also absolutely HAVE to control a fight cause they can be most easily brought down if you get caught. They just do not have many defensive abilities at all outside of said counters. If they burn their Tab escape they can basically be 100% combo'd by almost any other class.

However in PVE they are pretty absurd. Depending on ping they can absolutely destroy anything single target, and have the easiest solo dungeoning ability in the game (near permanent stealth and they can attack constantly from stealth).

I tried out the KFM. Enjoyed it, though I wish there were tutorials for when you get new moves available to you. For example, I never got to try out Grapple. At first I thought you chained into it after successfully blocking, but when that didn't work I read it again. I guess you chain it when an enemy blocks or counters you? /shrug

Still fun. I echo the brightness of the colors- looks nice.

Definitely interested.

You can grab people when they are dazed or knocked down. 3 is one skill you can use to topple them, then just TAB and 1 or 2. Or F for separate skill.

You get more skills and tutorials when you go through the missions from that little fellow. Pretty nice way to introduce new skills, KFM truly needs guidance.

I tried Blade master (?, not that dancer anyway) and it seems pretty easy, so those star ratings might be pretty accurate. Kung Fu Master is a lot more difficult skill wise. But more fun too, I like those combos you can make.

Blade dude is a lot more flashier though, might end up with one because the moves look cool.

And it has pretty nice block, although I tend to block too early, NPC enemies strike so slowly... But maybe that is just in the beginning?

Story quests (for a little while) introduce some skills in the form of combos. They do not go over everything though.

https://bnstree.com/ has a breakdown of skills and classes. The skill descriptions for the most part tell you what they do and how they interact. For instance, Grapple should have listed under the requires section that they are knocked down or dazed. Then there are skills that state they can only be used during grapple. There is only ever one skill available per key at any given time. So typically there will be multiple skills based on a different 'stance' or if the opponent has a certain CC on them. These conditions can change to from the skill points you put into them (which is why skilling up can drastically change your combos and playstyle so much).

It tends to take a lot of studying or just fiddling with while leveling. Unfortunately there is very few things you will fight naturally before max level that last long enough to try some of these things on. Keep your starter weapon because later on you can pop that on to not kill things so fast. There are some pigs in a later town that don't attack you that take an incredibly long time to kill so they are the unofficial training dummies of the game.

From that site, what is the Warlock?

edited December 2015
    There is tons of content from the games native version (Korea) that we do not have yet. Level 50 as the max level, hongmoon levels (just levels to get more skills points) and those skills at the bottom of some trees that say they need to be unlocked, as well as dungeons and such. Also two classes. Warlock is one, the other just came out like 2 or 3 weeks ago and is named Soul Fighter or something. Soul Fighter is pretty much a kind of Force Master and Kung Fu Master mix. Not literally, but that is essentially what it plays like.

From things that have been said the content is going to be given to us at a consistent pace. Seems like for the most part it is all available and done they just do not want to dump it all at once so that it feels like the game is being constantly updated. Which.... kind of sucks but I guess business and all that?

The game is actually running as a modified version closer to the KR release. For the most part the skill balance is set to their most recent patch (minus the one with the Soul Fighter apparently) but with content locked out as well as those levels. Which is what leads to some imbalance in the PVP aspect.

Kai_San on
    Gotcha, the ol' Tera scenerio

Dungeon Fighter Online did it too. Dunno if for the same reasons, but it seems to be the case with almost any F2P or B2P MMO type game coming from Asia. Black Desert seems to be doing the same thing at least with its classes.

The biggest issue really is the best and hardest dungeons aren't going to be available at release and there is a HUGE outcry from the PVP players about how the game is horribly unbalanced because it uses a patch meant for level 50 + hongmoon levels but limits it to 45.

That Soul Fighter sounds intriguing. Is there an English wiki or something where we can read up on these?