As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 64-bit Question

Senor_QuesoSenor_Queso Registered User regular
So, I am about to build a new PC and I was wondering if I should load it with the 32-bit version of XP, or the 64-bit? This PC will be used for everything, but with a focus on gaming. I was wondering if any of you out there have gone the 64-bit route and noticed a performance increase/decrease.

Duck was a neutral party, so he brought the ultimatum to the cows.

XBL: ElQuesoUno
NNID: ElQuesoUno
Senor_Queso on

• RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    have fun browsing the web with firefox 64 bit. But be prepared to curse at the lack of java or flash content.

also have fun tracking down 64 bit versions of useful programs.. otherwise 90% of what you do will be under 32 bit. Which i think suffers from some translation issues running 32 bit programs under a 64 bit os.

Drivers should be ok for the most part, but have fun tracking down exotic things. By exotic i mean scanners / printers / mice / mobos / etc

Stick with 32bit.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Senor_QuesoSenor_Queso Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the info RoundBoy. Based on that I think I'll stick with 32bit.

Senor_Queso on
    Duck was a neutral party, so he brought the ultimatum to the cows.

XBL: ElQuesoUno
    NNID: ElQuesoUno
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    64-bit Windows is more/less for the doofuses that run really big servers on Windows because they need a lot of RAM.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I use 64-bit Vista, and it's compatibility and performance are perfectly fine. I have not run into any issues yet with 64-bit Vista, where as XP's 64-bit was just chaos. Plus, a lot more games are coming out that are supporting it. Crysis gains 10-15% more performance per thread under 64-bit, and Unreal Tournament 3 is suppose to utilize it, as well. I'm not sure what the benefits UT3 will see are, however.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aren't a lot more games these days being made to run with 64bit?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only driver issue I had with 64-bit Vista was for my HP printer. But, knowing how the fucking desktop printer industry works, this is hardly unexpected. I just used a compatible generic HP driver that game with the OS and it's fine. Any halfway-recent hardware nowadays will support it, and 32-bit apps run just dandy.

That said, I wouldn't be too stressed about going 64-bit. It's not exactly an imperative jump, gargantuan amounts of memory notwithstanding.

Zxerol on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    have fun browsing the web with firefox 64 bit. But be prepared to curse at the lack of java or flash content.

also have fun tracking down 64 bit versions of useful programs.. otherwise 90% of what you do will be under 32 bit. Which i think suffers from some translation issues running 32 bit programs under a 64 bit os.
    This is wildly inaccurate.

Drivers should be ok for the most part, but have fun tracking down exotic things. By exotic i mean scanners / printers / mice / mobos / etc

Stick with 32bit.
    This is the only thing I could think of that may give you any trouble at all. Scanners, printers, (why the fuck would you install mouse drivers?) but I don't know what you're talking about with the mobos.

The only issue I've had running a 64-bit OS is, with the new nVidia drivers, not being able to play Crysis under the 64-bit exe since it freezes. Which is more than likely the fault of the beta drivers. For the pre-release demo.

You may have issues with a few things but the "OH MY GOD! You won't be able to do anything!" scare in your entire post is bullshit.

JAEF on
    edited November 2007
    JAEF wrote: »

This is wildly inaccurate.

Stick with 32bit.
    This is the only thing I could think of that may give you any trouble at all. Scanners, printers, (why the fuck would you install mouse drivers?) but I don't know what you're talking about with the mobos.

The only issue I've had running a 64-bit OS is, with the new nVidia drivers, not being able to play Crysis under the 64-bit exe since it freezes. Which is more than likely the fault of the beta drivers. For the pre-release demo.

You may have issues with a few things but the "OH MY GOD! You won't be able to do anything!" scare in your entire post is bullshit.

First.. it is VERY accurate, as I personally went through it. And at no point did I claim the sky is falling over 64 bit OS usage.

lets try this again for the people in the back of the class:

64bit firefox is very quick & speedy. But I could not find a stable 64bit java install... nor does a 64bit abobe flash install exist... all as of 2 weeks ago when I dumped 64bit vista for 32bit.

Mice don't have drivers themselves.. I was really referring to programs like Logitech setpoint... which now does have a 64bit driver (finally)).. My comments on specific things like mobos, scanners, printers ,etc is still very valid. Motherboards have drivers.... for the onboard raid or the simple HD controllers.. network, etc... its very possible that his mobo would not have 64 bit drivers available. all recent mobos *Should* though. But since the OP left no hardware details.. I had to err on the side of caution.

Vista has 2 program files directories... one for native 64 bit, and one for 32 bit. My 32 bit was vastly larger then my 64 bit side, and when i could directly compare the 2, programs written for 54 bit worked much faster then the 32 bit variants.

Yes, things are now coming out for 64 bit... but there is NO reason the average home gamer needs to go 64bit.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So why not just run 32-bit Firefox?

devoir on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    Aren't a lot more games these days being made to run with 64bit?

I believe one of the provisions to developing under the Games For Windows line is that you have to ensure 64 bit compatibility.

TheSonicRetard on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think you guys are saying the same things, but it's an individual choice whether or not it's worth it to go to 64-bit.

Basically, there's not much in the way of native 64-bit apps, as RoundBoy has pointed out. So if you're looking for huge benefits to going 64-bit, you're not going to get it, so you may want to stick to 32-bit. On the other hand, there's not much negative to going 64-bit anyway, since you can always run things in 32-bit compatibility mode. That's what JAEF is saying. So if there's not much in the way of negative impacts (aside from drivers and the like), you may want to go ahead and taken the plunge to 64-bit, and reap future benefits.

I'm personally trying to decide this myself, as I'm going to be building out a new gaming rig soon. One suggestion I'll make ... if you're looking to build server apps on this box, and want to utilize as much memory as possible (>4 GB), you definitely should take the plunge to 64-bit.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wouldn't it be a bad idea to criss-cross 32 bit and 64 bit things? Stick with 32 is my call, because if it isn't broken don't fix it. 64 bit hasn't really become the staple 'every home PC' thing yet.

Henroid on
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »

Why install a 64 bit os just to choose the 32 bit version of everything ?

yes .. all newer games should have 64bit compat.

People choosing 64 bit NOW have a bigger choice then choosing 64 bit back in feb.. but not for everything.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    edited November 2007

People choosing 64 bit NOW have a bigger choice then choosing 64 bit back in feb.. but not for everything.

32-bit firefox is not _everything_. There are advantages to using 64-bit Windows even as you still use 32-bit legacy applications. That's not to say that everyone should upgrade straight away, but if you have the opportunity now and you don't have specific 32-bit Windows requirements (as in legacy business applications or something else like that), then why not go ahead?

devoir on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why install a 64 bit os just to choose the 32 bit version of everything[Standard programs you don't need 64 bit versions of?] ?

Bam. There you have it. For gaming.

No one is arguing that 64-bit firefox is worthwhile. Hell I wouldn't touch it. I don't need MS paint to run in 64 bit.

But I'd like my games to. And right now, they're raining 64-bit.

JAEF on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going 64bit so I can run 8GB of ram and that's the only reason. If I weren't, I'd stick with 32bit.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am very glad I found out I need 64-bit Vista to run more than 2GB of ram. Thank you thread.

Shogun on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I have to agree with Roundy. I've gone through the paces, too.
    I asked the same question devoir; and, came to the same conclusion as Roundy, here. I was having to emulate the 32-bit environment to get everything to run stably. Then, I realized... well screw it, I'm going back to a 32-bit OS.

I was running a 64-bit version of Kubuntu.

TyrantCow on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a bad idea to criss-cross 32 bit and 64 bit things? Stick with 32 is my call, because if it isn't broken don't fix it. 64 bit hasn't really become the staple 'every home PC' thing yet.

Vista actually does a good job of supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit apps at the same time. The reason why you would want to do this is to take advantage of apps/games that begin to natively support 64-bit and gain performance advantages from it (such as Half-Life 2 and Crysis). Also, if you plan on having more than 4 GB of RAM in the future, that's another excellent advantage.

Basically, you're future proofing your OS for relatively little disadvantage. Some people like that. Others, like yourself, may go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, which I can also understand. *shrug*

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok I have a new question for the OS smarty people. Why, according to Newegg, does the 64-bit Home Premium Vista cost $100 more than the 64-bit Vista Ultimate?

I thought it should be the other way around.

Shogun on
    edited November 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Ok I have a new question for the OS smarty people. Why, according to Newegg, does the 64-bit Home Premium Vista cost $100 more than the 64-bit Vista Ultimate?

Boxed product vs OEM?

Upgrade vs full?

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    I have to agree with Roundy. I've gone through the paces, too.
    I asked the same question devoir; and, came to the same conclusion as Roundy, here. I was having to emulate the 32-bit environment to get everything to run stably. Then, I realized... well screw it, I'm going back to a 32-bit OS.

I was running a 64-bit version of Kubuntu.

Well, my discussion was more related to Windows where gaming is heading into 64-bit support territory at a rather pleasing rate. For desktop Linux I don't see any need yet for 64-bit unless you're doing something other than wordprocessing, programming and browsing.

devoir on
    edited November 2007

Boxed product vs OEM?

Upgrade vs full?

Nope I'm talking about both OEM single DVD versions.

Vista Ultimate

Vista Home Basic

I see now that I was talking about the Home Basic costing more. That's even worse.

Edit: And why does the home basic have 3 DVDs and Ultimate has one?

Shogun on
    edited November 2007
    That's completely messed up. I have no answers for you.

devoir on
    edited November 2007

UP IS DOWN

BLACK IS WHITE

Shogun on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Boxed product vs OEM?

Upgrade vs full?

Vista Ultimate

Vista Home Basic

I see now that I was talking about the Home Basic costing more. That's even worse.

Ugh, this is another reason I've opted to stay away from Vista for a couple of years. It's got a confusing array of versions.

Edit -

UP IS DOWN

BLACK IS WHITE
    That too.

Henroid on
    edited November 2007

UP IS DOWN

BLACK IS WHITE

PS3 IS CHEAP

Am I doing it right?

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    Meh I'm just going to get that 64-bit Ultimate DVD.

Shogun on
    edited November 2007

Seems like the smart thing to do. I'm just totally amazed that Home Basic is up for that much.

devoir on
    edited November 2007

Seems like the smart thing to do. I'm just totally amazed that Home Basic is up for that much.

Maybe they're charging per disc.

Henroid on
    edited November 2007

Yeah, in which case, what the hell's on the two other discs?

devoir on
    edited November 2007

Yeah, in which case, what the hell's on the two other discs?

And according to what I've learned about Vista whatever version you buy has the files to install up to Ultimate even if you bought Home Basic, you just have to pay for a different license.

This is quite confusing.

Shogun on
  • WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

UP IS DOWN

BLACK IS WHITE

PS3 IS CHEAP

Am I doing it right?

Dr. Peter Venkman: This OS is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
    Bill Gates: What do you mean, "biblical"?
    Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Gates, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
    Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Boxed product vs OEM?

Upgrade vs full?

Vista Ultimate

Vista Home Basic

It's not the number of DVDs, it's the number of licenses. That Home Basic key can be used on three separate computers legally, whereas that Ultimate key can only be used on one.

I'm switching to 64-bit vista come Thanksgiving Break. Sure, virtually every standard app will run in 32-bit mode, but I'll be getting a significant performance boost for those few apps (and, more importantly, games!) that run in 64-bit mode.

Plus, 64-bit Vista is more secure. I'm just going to quote another dude because he explains it better:
    One of the primary benefits of using an x64-based version of Windows Vista is that these versions provide dramatically improved security functionality when compared to their 32-bit counterparts. Most dramatically, the Windows Vista x64 versions include a new secret security feature called Address Space Layout Randmonizer (ASLR) that helps eliminate remote system attacks for the first time on the Windows platform. This feature (which was first disclosed in this very article) ensures that system files load at random (1 in 256) memory offsets at every system boot, compared to previous Windows versions where system files always loaded to the same offset memory location. Because of this change, most (approximately 99 percent) remote attacks will simply fail on x64-based Vista versions.

Working in tandem with the No Execute (NX) technologies in modern x64 microprocessors from both AMD and Intel, Windows Vista x64 versions, like XP x64, also provide support for hardware-backed Data Execution Protection (DEP), which helps to prevent the buffer overflows that are commonly used in electronic attacks. (32-bit Vista versions utilize a less effective, software-based version of DEP.) Another unique x64 feature, Kernel Patch Protection (sometimes called PatchGuard), prevents malicious software from patching the Windows Vista kernel. PatchGuard, Microsoft says, works by preventing kernel-mode drivers from extending or replacing other kernel services and preventing third-party software from patching any part of the kernel.

fogeyman on
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »

Boxed product vs OEM?

Upgrade vs full?

Vista Ultimate

Vista Home Basic

It's not the number of DVDs, it's the number of licenses. That Home Basic key can be used on three separate computers legally, whereas that Ultimate key can only be used on one.

I'm switching to 64-bit vista come Thanksgiving Break. Sure, virtually every standard app will run in 32-bit mode, but I'll be getting a significant performance boost for those few apps (and, more importantly, games!) that run in 64-bit mode.

Plus, 64-bit Vista is more secure. I'm just going to quote another dude because he explains it better:
    One of the primary benefits of using an x64-based version of Windows Vista is that these versions provide dramatically improved security functionality when compared to their 32-bit counterparts. Most dramatically, the Windows Vista x64 versions include a new secret security feature called Address Space Layout Randmonizer (ASLR) that helps eliminate remote system attacks for the first time on the Windows platform. This feature (which was first disclosed in this very article) ensures that system files load at random (1 in 256) memory offsets at every system boot, compared to previous Windows versions where system files always loaded to the same offset memory location. Because of this change, most (approximately 99 percent) remote attacks will simply fail on x64-based Vista versions.

Working in tandem with the No Execute (NX) technologies in modern x64 microprocessors from both AMD and Intel, Windows Vista x64 versions, like XP x64, also provide support for hardware-backed Data Execution Protection (DEP), which helps to prevent the buffer overflows that are commonly used in electronic attacks. (32-bit Vista versions utilize a less effective, software-based version of DEP.) Another unique x64 feature, Kernel Patch Protection (sometimes called PatchGuard), prevents malicious software from patching the Windows Vista kernel. PatchGuard, Microsoft says, works by preventing kernel-mode drivers from extending or replacing other kernel services and preventing third-party software from patching any part of the kernel.

According to Newegg that Home Basic can only be installed one time.

Shogun on
    edited November 2007
    1. I don't see where it says that.
    2. If it does, they're wrong. They often are about little things like this. I'm 99% sure.

Either way, Home Basic is a shitty deal. Home Premium or Ultimate are where it's at, Home Premium if you have to pay full price.

fogeyman on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Each license links to a single computer, but that pack includes 3 seperate licenses.

Dehumanized on
    edited November 2007
    2. If it does, they're wrong. They often are about little things like this. I'm 99% sure.

Either way, Home Basic is a shitty deal. Home Premium or Ultimate are where it's at, Home Premium if you have to pay full price.

How can you not see it? Click the link. Top of the page, directly to the right.

This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software.

Its under that big thing that says disclaimer. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it says it right there. And that is enough to make me not want to purchase it.

Shogun on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just to chip in, I've been running Vista Ultimate 64-bit for two months now and haven't had a single driver issue, game problem, or otherwise.

Ein on
    edited November 2007

How can you not see it? Click the link. Top of the page, directly to the right.

This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software.

Its under that big thing that says disclaimer. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it says it right there. And that is enough to make me not want to purchase it.
    Ah, see that's different. Once a key is associated with a computer, it can't be installed on any other. That's totally accurate. This disc, however, includes three keys, one for each computer.

And just to reiterate because this is really important: no matter what ends up being true, don't buy Home Basic. Ever. Doesn't matter how cheap it is, it's just not worth any amount of money. Even free. XP Pro is better than Vista Home Basic.

Okay, that's not entirely true, but you're denying yourself some of the neatest features of Vista by going with Home Basic. And it's not like Premium costs significantly more.

fogeyman on