As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Matches v Lighters

monikermoniker Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
While I personally don't smoke I have a number of friends (or random people) who do and occasionally they need a light. What are the pros and cons of having a box of matches over a lighter to offer, and vice versa. Or is there really that much of a difference at all? Mainly they smoke cigs, but a few prefer having a big dark 'cigar' in their face. (:winky: )

moniker on

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dude.

Get both.

Problem solved.

Incenjucar on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Basically, it works like this:

Using matches is the "sophisticated" approach, and some women like that. It's especially nice in that most people don't use them, so you've got something to set you apart. However, the caveat here is that you can mess it up. The match might go out before you get it to the cig, it might not light in the first place, etc. If one of these happens, you risk looking pretty stupid.

Lighters are a much more fool proof method, and are easier in just about every aspect. If you use a lighter, for the love of god don't get a massive one with a huge flame and turn it all the way up, it's obnoxious. If you want a unique lighter, get something awesome, but still tasteful. For example, a friend of mine has a lighter that's basically a tiny torch. It doesn't produce a massive flame, but it looks really cool, and makes a distinctive sound without being annoying. It's an amusing topic of conversation.

As the previous poster said, carry both if you're in doubt. If you try to use matches, I recommend practicing.

Andorien on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Matches are cooler.

Lighters are more practical.

This is the advice of someone who has never smoked. The only thing I light are woodstoves and campfires.

Shinto on
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    wooden matches for a cigar

whatever for the cigs but a Zippos got class

follow up w/ lecture on the dangers of smoking

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Flameless-lighters.

KalTorak on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I say carry a Bic and a box of wooden matches. Because sometimes matches don't cut it, and there are some things you wouldn't want to light with a Zippo.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    wooden matches for a cigar

whatever for the cigs but a Zippos got class

follow up w/ lecture on the dangers of smoking

Not strictly true, butane lighters are the other recomended way of lighting cigars, you don't however light it with the flame you light it with the ambient heat coming from the flame.

Blake T on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nevermind, I see where you're going with that.

So, for a followup question what is a good lighter to get that's useful for everything while still being all GQ?

moniker on
  • Cold KoalaCold Koala Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    moniker wrote:
    I say carry a Bic and a box of wooden matches. Because sometimes matches don't cut it, and there are some things you wouldn't want to light with a Zippo.

:?:

Setting: Illegal weapons lab. (Or, if you will, methamphetamine laboratory.)

Occurrence: Imminent police raid.

Setup: Many explosives, plus sloshed-around liquid combustibles.

Procedure: Bend down with hand to light aforementioned liquids using lighter. //not advisable
    Alternative Procedure: Drop match, then run like hell as it falls. //Better idea.

Cold Koala on
    edited November 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Nevermind, I see where you're going with that.

So, for a followup question what is a good lighter to get that's useful for everything while still being all GQ?
    Well, the ones that fill with zippo fluid end up flavouring things that way, which I personally find acceptable only for pack-cigarettes. And not Nat Shermans, mind you, I mean shitty pack-cigarettes like Marlboros and whatnot. Those electric butane lighters are pretty slick and badass, but they really torch the fuck out of shit if you put the flame directly on it. Those would be probably the way to go for you but as said above, don't put the flame quite on it, just very near it.

They're also pricey. Honestly man, a Bic or Cricket is the best way to go. If you want to be GQ, do what I do. Colour-coordinate.

ViolentChemistry on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Keep in mind that even cheap bic lighters also happen to carry enough fuel to be worth a dozen or so matchboxes

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cold Koala wrote:
    moniker wrote:

Procedure: Bend down with hand to light aforementioned liquids using lighter. //not advisable
    Alternative Procedure: Drop match, then run like hell as it falls. //Better idea.

Better example that I saw and laughed heartily at on the weekend.

My friend got an old 44 gallon drum and turned it on it's side for a fire/spit roast. He put his wood and whatnot into the fire and decided to help it a bit by throwing some petrol on there as well. As he only had a bic, he tried lighting a cigarette then chucking that in there, no luck, so instead he lit the bic, and stuck his hand in there.

Picturing him diving for cover as the fireball exploded out of the drum still makes me smile thinking about it.

Note: Please don't do this.

Blake T on
    edited November 2006
    arod_77 wrote:
    Keep in mind that even cheap bic lighters also happen to carry enough fuel to be worth a dozen or so matchboxes
    Indeed. So you go to the store, you pick out four or five in colours that match or compliment a lot of schemes you tend to like to wear, and you always have spares when they "disappear".

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2006
    Alrighty then. It may be a tad redundant, but then again the square inch of space lost in a pocket isn't all that valuable to begin with.

moniker on
  • KrysanthemumKrysanthemum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Do your friends a favour and don't encourage their habit.

Krysanthemum on
    edited November 2006
    Do your friends a favour and don't encourage their habit.
    Indeed. Tell them "you really should quit smoking" while you light your cigarette. Then duck.

ViolentChemistry on
  • drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    as a smoker:

matches = better tasting smoke
    make sure they're wooden matches though, the paper ones are alright, but mmm wooden matches smell good.

lighters are easier and a lot more windproof than matches.
    As ViolentChemistry said zippos flavor things like their fuel - the bic's dont really do so, and neither does butane to an extent - however i do notice a difference in flavor compaired to the wooden matches. mmm nat shermans.

if you really want to be classy, have both on hand
    you can get matches for really cheap and you never know when you'll need them to light candles or such. a bic will last you for a long time unless you use it an awful lot.

wait, are you planning on keeping these on your person or in your place of residence?

drxand? on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Follow-up question, besides fuel, what other things would I need to know about proper wick/Zippo maintenence. IE: Flint/wick replacement and so on?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Follow-up question, besides fuel, what other things would I need to know about proper wick/Zippo maintenence. IE: Flint/wick replacement and so on?

The flint is easy to replace, and varies depending on how often you use it. You can get a pack of 5 flints for 40ish cents, so it's not a big deal. Open the zippo up and look on the bottom. You should see a screw like thing. Turn it and carefully pull it out. There's a spring inside that comes out and keeps the flint in place when you light it, so do this over a clear table the first time so as not to accidently lose the spring. Flint comes out, new flint goes in, spring goes in, screw goes in. Done.

The wick I'm not sure about, but I *think* zippos come with extra wick in them, and can be pulled out somehow.

Edgie on
  • QuelrethQuelreth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Edgie's right about the wick. The wicks wrap around inside the cotton, so you get some pliers and yank out the charred bit when it starts lighting weird. Obviously eventually you run out of wick, and wick replacement is a bit of a pain, but not that bad.

Quelreth on
    edited November 2006
    drxand? wrote:
    wait, are you planning on keeping these on your person or in your place of residence?

In a coat/pant pocket mainly, although I might leave 'em out in studio from time to time. I kind of like being the figurative general store.

moniker on
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zippo is classy and usefull.

If you're going to get a lighter, get a real zippo.

But matches are cheaper. But for lighting someone elses smoke, lighters are quicker and easier.

In short, get a zippo.

Filler Inc. on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Cold Koala wrote:
    moniker wrote:

Unlike gas lighters, Zippos don't go out when you drop them as they are petrol burners, so you don't need to hold down a valve to keep the gas flowing. As such, they are probably a better choice in that situation than a match which could get extinguished in the process of dropping it.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • haroOharoO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Personally, I think that people who carry lighters/matches for the sole purpose of lighting other peoples tobacco are kind of wierd. Although if this is something you have your heart set on, then I would buy a bic or a Zippo and be done with it.

Cheap. Works kind of ok in the rain or wind. There are mini versions if you dont like carrying a lot of stuff.
    Nice Zippos are not cheap. It works better in the rain/wind, but it has to be refueld every now and then. Also you could get ganked at airports, or have to bury it deep within your check in.

If someone is that much of a cigarhead then they should be smart enough to carry their own butane lighter/matches.

haroO on

haha made you look
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Someone I was sitting with at lunch needed a light and I pulled out an oldschool box of matches and he went "Awesome, real matches!".

This is my contribution to the topic.

Faricazy on
  • BulimicGoatBulimicGoat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Not to derail the topic, but I remember my Grandpa telling me about a cool way to light a match while it's still in the pack or something. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

BulimicGoat on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Get a Zippo and learn some crazy cool tricks.

Bearcat on
    edited November 2006
    yeah, if its not for you then go with a zippo if you want to spend money and like setting things on fire
    otherwise, dude a bic will do just fine and they're only like a dollar
    bic is the finests of cheap disposable lighters

drxand? on
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The best part about crappy Bic lighters is that once they're used up, you can through them against the sidewalk and make people go all like "Woah what was that, that was cool."

That's all I got.

Ninja Bot on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Andorien on
    edited November 2006
    drxand? wrote:
    yeah, if its not for you then go with a zippo if you want to spend money and like setting things on fire
    I've actually grown to like Crickets too. They're at least as good as Bics. I'll take either one, though.

ViolentChemistry on
  • milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I smoke a cigar now and then, and all the aficionado's at the place I smoke generally use the butane lighter/torches from a distance (toasting), and say lighting with a match can make the cigar take on the flavor of the match.

Plus they're more wind resistant than any of the other options. We were lighting fireworks in the wind last July 4th and the torches worked beautifully.

milehigh on
  • Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Blaket wrote:
    Cold Koala wrote:
    moniker wrote:

Better example that I saw and laughed heartily at on the weekend.

My friend got an old 44 gallon drum and turned it on it's side for a fire/spit roast. He put his wood and whatnot into the fire and decided to help it a bit by throwing some petrol on there as well. As he only had a bic, he tried lighting a cigarette then chucking that in there, no luck, so instead he lit the bic, and stuck his hand in there.

Picturing him diving for cover as the fireball exploded out of the drum still makes me smile thinking about it.

Note: Please don't do this.

Best example: pipe or bong. Pipe/bong + Zippo = No

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • coma whitecoma white Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i don't even really like lighting joints with a zippo

but if i smoked cigarettes i would totally always have a zippo

coma white on
    closuresig.jpg
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm a Bic man. Cheap and reliable.

Also if your buddies use tools like pipes and bongs they'll probably love it if you take the 10 seconds to pry that safety off. So much easier.

DekuStick on
    edited November 2006
    drxand? wrote:
    I've actually grown to like Crickets too. They're at least as good as Bics. I'll take either one, though.

you know, i agree
    crickets are excellent, but wherever i find them they're always more expensive than bics

and regarding child safety - not just people who smoke weed like to take them off, i do it with every lighter i get.. but i guess i'm a former pothead olol

drxand? on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I keep a box of strike anywhere matches in my truck, but most of the time I use an "Armored" mini-Bic lighter, it's one of those mini-bic lighters in a metal casing with a springloaded hatch. It's actually quite durable, I've dropped it 20-30 feet, stepped on it, and a few other things that a normal bic wouldn't survive.

And when the mini-bic runs out, I just pop it out and pop another into the casing.

Oh, and Lighters held 1-2 inches (depending of flame height) from the cigar is how you're supposed to light them. Apparently there's something about the sulfur or something on matches that affects the taste even after the light. I don't know, I've used both and tend to go with the lighter just because it's more convenient.

Ruckus on
  • Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you really want to throw away money...

I don't have one myself, but supposedly it can light cigs.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ruckus wrote:
    I keep a box of strike anywhere matches in my truck, but most of the time I use an "Armored" mini-Bic lighter, it's one of those mini-bic lighters in a metal casing with a springloaded hatch. It's actually quite durable, I've dropped it 20-30 feet, stepped on it, and a few other things that a normal bic wouldn't survive.

And when the mini-bic runs out, I just pop it out and pop another into the casing.

Those metal cases are FUCKING AMAZING.

just watch out for the metal ring on the hatch. One of mine broke. I have no idea how it happened but my other one has been perfectly fine for a very long time.

DekuStick on
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I recall an anectdote I heard once where one of the physicists observing a nuclear test set up a parabolic reflector with an unlit cig held by a wire at the focal point. After the detonation he walked over, pulled it out and took a puff. Lighting a cig with a nuke.

Can anyone comfirm/deny this story? Supposedly the scientist was someone of note.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.