As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Keeping an accurate game state in your head while playing is the hardest skill to practise. The best way to develop it is to note during games whether you think you're ahead or behind at a specific spot and then check the replay later to see if you were right.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    sick game bunny vs bly. some mistakes but those always make things more exciting... just constant action for 28 minutes.

I definitely am very happy with all the economic changes to lotv

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Snute looks legit; he might be back to being the best foreigner.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Kinda curious about the new zerg coop commander. I really hope it ain't Stukov, some alien creature like Izsha or Abathur would be much cooler :3, but what would be nice is the commander focusing on units that's been missing from the coop so far. Roach/hydras+ravagers and lurkers, and no spire whatsoever would be sweet? Dunno what abilities or passives you'd fit into that though...

Edit: Haha, holy crap that snute/hyun homestory g3 :D

Panda4You on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    My guess for the release order of commanders.

Jim Raynor --> Rory Swann --> Matt Horner --> Gabriel Tosh --> Graven Hill --> Egon Stetmann

Sarah Kerrigan --> Zagara --> Alexei Stukov --> Dehaka --> Abathur --> Izsha

Artanis --> Vorazun --> Karax --> Alarak --> Talandar --> Rohana

Oh holy shit, Dehaka would at least saving me the worry of ever having to pay for the new zerg commander. He is poop, from the nastiest of butts. >:(
    I do think Matt Horner is a little too tied in with Raynor though, he's sort of Raynor's Izsha. Valerian Mengsk would be a more credible candidate as that's at least someone we've seen in sc2.
    I have a hard time seeing Izsha getting the nomination for this reason too, she's too much of a sidekick non-character in the games. Unfortunately zerg doesn't have a lot more characters to choose from...

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    OK, that casting by Destiny just now on Snute vs MC was hilarious in the end.

Yeah the game was a wasted 10 mins in the end but the casting saved it.

^^'

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    shoulda posted sooner but the finals are going. mma vs firecake, tvz

quite classic! although the skill levels might be a mismatch

but mma was always a favorite of mine and he looks like he's got a real shot to take a win in his final tournament

makes me really sad :(

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    it will be interesting to see if they break the way the races are setup in coop. by that i mean the 2 zerg commanders so far have a physical presence on the field, whereas the terran and protoss don't get hero units. if abathur makes an appearance will be be behind the scenes similar to the protoss/terran commanders? alarak would make sense to be in the middle of the fight as would general warfield.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone else was watching HSC XII, but MC just sang Let It Go for MMA because this was MMA's last tournament

It was amazing

it will be interesting to see if they break the way the races are setup in coop. by that i mean the 2 zerg commanders so far have a physical presence on the field, whereas the terran and protoss don't get hero units. if abathur makes an appearance will be be behind the scenes similar to the protoss/terran commanders? alarak would make sense to be in the middle of the fight as would general warfield.
    This is a good observation. My guess is they'll continue with the uniform setup they've got already.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Because there wasn't a youtube clip of it until now.

This is the best thing ever.

Panda4You wrote: »
    This is a good observation. My guess is they'll continue with the uniform setup they've got already.

unfortunately that's what i expect as well. it seems...well saying it is a waste seems the most appropriate. the abilities the various heroes had in game deserve to have more time in the sun.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Hey, not sure if anyone can help me with this. I'm trying to find a video of one of the late round championship games, but can't remember who was playing. It featured a pretty tight, down to the wire game with some insane medivac/siege tank micro. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Hey, not sure if anyone can help me with this. I'm trying to find a video of one of the late round championship games, but can't remember who was playing. It featured a pretty tight, down to the wire game with some insane medivac/siege tank micro. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

Do you know what tournament? Late round championship unfortunately doesn't narrow it down very much. Was it recent, this past weekend? Or further back? was it before the new expansion?

Invictus wrote: »

Do you know what tournament? Late round championship unfortunately doesn't narrow it down very much. Was it recent, this past weekend? Or further back? was it before the new expansion?

Sorry, it was in the 2015 World Championships but I can't remember which round. I'd originally seen in in a Kotaku or Polygon post along the lines of "starcraft games you need to watch right now."

as in medivacs picking up siege tanks or just good micro with both? I guess I should also ask do you know if the tanks were sieged?

haha it's an annoyingly specific question but I'm not even sure if you mean heart of the swarm of legacy of the void so that's why I'm asking.

what was the none terran in the game? or was it tvt?

2015 world championships would presumably be blizzcon but it could have been one of the lotv showmatches, hence all my questions.

in the mean time I'm gonna see fi I can just find the article you mentioned

Variable wrote: »
    as in medivacs picking up siege tanks or just good micro with both? I guess I should also ask do you know if the tanks were sieged?

haha it's an annoyingly specific question but I'm not even sure if you mean heart of the swarm of legacy of the void so that's why I'm asking.

what was the none terran in the game? or was it tvt?

2015 world championships would presumably be blizzcon but it could have been one of the lotv showmatches, hence all my questions.

in the mean time I'm gonna see fi I can just find the article you mentioned

I believe it was Terran v Protoss but can't remember specifically. It was this guy banging away at the base with tanks and then picking them up in medivacs as soon as they started taking damage, dropping them then doing it again.

It's not worth taking a lot of time to find, was just hoping someone knew what I was talking about offhand and point me in that direction. No worries.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    sorry about those games @Invictus i think i discovered my ctrl key is toast and as a result kept screwing up my control groups. meaning instead of blinking i was telling disruptors and sentries to do...something i dunno. i started to notice it with vent where it wouldn't immediately end the push-to-talk when i released the key.

related: anyone have any suggestions for a budget minded keyboard if i can't get this squared away?

@WingedWeasel that does make me feel better. I didn't wanna say anything in the moment, but your blink micro in that game was, uh, not great. I knew you'd done better in the past, so I figured it was something like that.

Turns out that lategame pvp where both sides know what's up is incredibly tense--this is of course in stalker/disruptor balls.

I prefer to play golden armada in PvP for exactly that reason.

on the plus side that's probably easier to find because it must be LOTV. unfortunately I don't even know where to start hunting, not sure what tourneys took place besides what I've been watching over the last week or so.

I think there was a Shoutcraft, and... dreamhack perhaps? so far in LOTV.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I decided to break out LotV last night and went to battle.net to upload my game key. After doing that, I popped in the DVD Rom and waited for it to install. Instead, the game opens battle.net and sends me into the main screen. After a little bit of odd loading, everything is up and running, with all my old save stuff finally showing up after another 2-3 minutes.

Like, what are these disks for? Did I download the entire game or something? Am I playing some new variation of the game where it streams? WHAT IS GOING ON?!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    For the dirty tosse(r)s, here was an interesting build writeup on TL :)

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hmm ok so I don't know any decent openings and lots of the new units hit pretty hard.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    @Dhalphir showing GM generosity by grabbing me a game on Steam for my birthday. His solid build order meant he beat my wife to first gift. Thanks brotoss :bro:

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    that feeling when you get someone a late christmas present and it turns out to be a clutch birthday present

also thanks for letting me know it arrived as Steam was being weird and I wasn't sure if it came through

kedinik wrote: »
    Hmm ok so I don't know any decent openings and lots of the new units hit pretty hard.

Openings are much different now and not yet standardized. I'm trying to remember; do you play terran or zerg?

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

Openings are much different now and not yet standardized. I'm trying to remember; do you play terran or zerg?

Zerg in WoL, Terran in HotS, back to Zerg now.

I think I'll mess around in some AI games to figure out a few decent openers.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    @WingedWeasel might be able to help you some with zerg openers.

Muhfugging double xp, why am I home at family's? :(
    Gotta grind that coop!

@WingedWeasel might be able to help you some with zerg openers.

i'm not really qualified to speak on anything starcraft related. but if you are just looking for a baseline @kedinik this is a start for ZvZ:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/499697-zerg-versus-zerg-overview

there are a couple of other ZvT and ZvP guides around team liquid as well. just cna't find them at the moment.

edited December 2015
    Ugh. Still having 1v1 problems in PvT. My multitasking is improving playing the quick warp prism into disruptor play, but I need better scouting to figure out whether/how many liberators they're making, because I really wanna play a robo/adept-heavy style if they don't have libs. If they do, though, I really need blink.

EDIT: Oh God, now they're going mech/liberator. I need super heavy immortal versus that (I think?) maybe also archons? archons might be a good idea bc soak so many tank shots.

Invictus on
    Ugh. Still having 1v1 problems in PvT. My multitasking is improving playing the quick warp prism into disruptor play, but I need better scouting to figure out whether/how many liberators they're making, because I really wanna play a robo/adept-heavy style if they don't have libs. If they do, though, I really need blink.

EDIT: Oh God, now they're going mech/liberator. I need super heavy immortal versus that (I think?) maybe also archons? archons might be a good idea bc soak so many tank shots.

i never understood how to properly play against mech as zerg. it seemed as though i would win or lose completely independently of what i did (essentially my opponent would beat themselves with a big mistake). however the consensus was to expand a lot try to deny them gas and then win with swarm hosts or other attrition methods (in hots anyway). i guess the protoss version would be to try and get to tempest to just blow them up from across the galaxy? you definitely need to deny them gas however if they are going mech. the composition is gas reliant and at least that will give you a fighting chance to get something off the ground before they transition to BCs and ravens en masse (at least that's what it would be against Z). at that point it is all over but the crying.

edited December 2015
    Aren't swarm hosts unusable now? Ah, hots...

Panda4You on
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Aren't swarm hosts unusable now? Ah, hots...

yeah, i was just bringing up the old strategy. i have no idea if it is still a valid plan in lotv

Phoenixes are excellent against mech, and quite good against Liberators in small numbers.

edited December 2015
    Are only crack addicts playing coop today? I've failed 5/7 attempts so far.

Edit: Yeah, 2 out of every 3rd attempt failing and it's not like I'm playing brutal or anything.

Panda4You on
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    I finally caved and bought LotV after a ~3 year hiatus from the game.

Once upon a time in WoL I played Terran, and I want to continue to play Terran. I know TvP is a problematic matchup right now, but I like humans god damn it and I'm going to stick with my race.

What I'm looking for is a relatively simple 2-base timing attack I can use while I try to relearn basic mechanics and macro. Does anyone have a recommendation for something I can use in lower leagues?

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Griswold wrote: »
    I finally caved and bought LotV after a ~3 year hiatus from the game.

Once upon a time in WoL I played Terran, and I want to continue to play Terran. I know TvP is a problematic matchup right now, but I like humans god damn it and I'm going to stick with my race.

What I'm looking for is a relatively simple 2-base timing attack I can use while I try to relearn basic mechanics and macro. Does anyone have a recommendation for something I can use in lower leagues?

You actually don't want a 2-base timing in PvT because that's the point at which protoss is strongest. What you want to do is basically defend harass until you have a big bio ball and liberators, plant liberators above their ramp, win.

Now, that first step is harder than it sounds. I hate PvT, but statistically it's my best matchup because I build warp prisms, plant a dozen adepts in terran base at 6-7 minutes, win.