As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone who was waiting for (affordable well performing) DX10 cards, they're here:

124»

• Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So how long are we going to have to wait until this card is selling for around $200, like Anandtech said it would? Everywhere I'm seeing it pop up, it's hovering around $300.

Vargas Prime on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So how long are we going to have to wait until this card is selling for around $200, like Anandtech said it would? Everywhere I'm seeing it pop up, it's hovering around $300.

I believe the $200 card will be the 256MB version. Right now manufacturers are taking advantage of consumers a bit.

Shogun on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

I believe the $200 card will be the 256MB version. Right now manufacturers are taking advantage of consumers a bit.

So wait, is the 256MB version the one that everyone's getting all hyped about? Or are the tech comparisons being done using a 512MB card? Will the 256MB card be performing that well?

Forgive my tech-dumbery... I'm just trying to figure out if the 512 version is worth the extra cost, or if I should wait.

Vargas Prime on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All the coverage is on the 512MB cards. In fact, those are the only ones that are out right now.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Looks like most of the other cards in their line have dropped in price due to the gt coming out, and I assume a refresh on the gtx/ultra sometime soon.

FanciestWalnut on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really, really want BFG to come out with a version of this card, stat.

After buying my 6800GT from BFG, I'm only ever buying BFG for personal gaming purposes.

devoir on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Uhh they have it's not on newegg but their site has it listed.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited October 2007
    I went to BFG yesterday and I couldn't find mention of an 8800GT, only the 8600GT and the 8800GTS/GTX.

Edit: I just went there again; that splash thingie wasn't on the front page. I must have looked before the embargo lifted.

Edit: NOoooooooooooooooo. They have a BFG store which doesn't ship outside the US. FARK.

devoir on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A quick comment about the graphs on page 5.

2560x1600 is a fucking huge resolution to test at (the FPS being steady at above 30 shows some power). I can't imagine many people run programs at that setting, but I have a feeling I'm going to be proven wrong.

Henroid on
    edited November 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    A quick comment about the graphs on page 5.

2560x1600 is a fucking huge resolution to test at (the FPS being steady at above 30 shows some power). I can't imagine many people run programs at that setting, but I have a feeling I'm going to be proven wrong.

Statement: E-peen beacon unlocked and primed. Prepare for inbound e-peen demonstrations in 5... 4...

devoir on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just installed my evga superclocked version, first thing that sprang to mind immediately was "holy shit this thing is about 1/5 as noisy as my BFG 7900GT was, wooo!"

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if I'm building a new computer and including an 8800gt, would I need a mobo with a PCI 2.0 slot to fully optimize the 8800gt?

Winnie The Pooh on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if I'm building a new computer and including an 8800gt, would I need a mobo with a PCI 2.0 slot to fully optimize the 8800gt?

No sir.

Shogun on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

No sir.
    At this point, you wouldn't even see a performance boost.

I don't even know if PCIe 2.0 motherboards are out yet. Are they?

fogeyman on
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »

No sir.

IIRC some P35 chipsets with DDR3 support also do PCIe2 support. The thing is current cards are still not using all the available bandwidth of PCIe1.1 or whatever is the current iteration. Or at least that's what I read.

Shogun on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a amd 64 2.7+ and a X800 GT (I think), I really want a new one, without spending too much money. This one seems really attractive (even if I have to get new cooling and PSU). You guys know any good online store in EU that has it cheap?
    Or should I wait for another card?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    I have a amd 64 2.7+ and a X800 GT (I think), I really want a new one, without spending too much money. This one seems really attractive (even if I have to get new cooling and PSU). You guys know any good online store in EU that has it cheap?
    I think you would have to upgrade your CPU to see any benefits from a new video card.

FreddyD on
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    I think you would have to upgrade your CPU to see any benefits from a new video card.

That would suck, I don't really have money to buy a new CPU right now.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Argh. Decisions. To upgrade from a 7900GT or not.

I'd promised myself that I'll wait for the Nvidia 9XXX series, but this card is looking awesome.

I think I'll probably wait until next year and see how things pan out. My PC is only a bit over a year old, and still runs everything well enough, so I'm reluctant to be spending money on it yet.

The other thing I'll be doing is keeping an eye on the Aussie dollar. It's up to 93 US cents right now, so hardware is getting very cheap here.

:?

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
    edited November 2007
    It is? Shit is still ridiculously expensive from what I've seen.

I'm trying to wait until end of Q1 2008 to buy myself an upgrade. All I will be playing though is HGL for the foreseeable future, at least on the PC.

devoir on
    edited November 2007

Components are certainly dropping in price.

It looks like 512MB 8800GTs are going to end up selling for not much more than AU$300 (once they get in stock at places like MSY). A year ago, they would have sold for AU$400+, given their price in the US.

And the price drops are still trickling through, so things are only going to get better.

Of course, consumer electronics and prebuilt PCs are still a rip-off, but component prices are definitely benefiting from the strong Aussie dollar.

Marlor on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

No sir.

IIRC some P35 chipsets with DDR3 support also do PCIe2 support. The thing is current cards are still not using all the available bandwidth of PCIe1.1 or whatever is the current iteration. Or at least that's what I read.

but getting 2.0 version mobo would be a good idea for future proofing I would think.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    scootch wrote: »

No sir.

but getting 2.0 version mobo would be a good idea for future proofing I would think.

Nope. Video card interfaces have stayed well above graphic requirements since the inception of AGP. We weren't even close to maxing out AGP4X when we were already moving to PCI express from AGP8X. The only reason the latest and greatest cards aren't available in AGP8x form is because they can force us to get a lower performing part at a premium (considering that it is the best offered). Today, even though AGP is abandoned it's far from obsolete. In all cases, your system will be totally and completely obsolete before a graphics interface upgrade is "needed," so "future-proofing" is not the right way to put it. The only exception really is the cheapie Via/ECS boards being given away with modern CPUs that still have AGP. The modern CPUs in those just may well outlast its usefulness with an AGP card for gaming, though you'd have to be an idiot to keep the board... well, there's the "build a cheap system with another CPU and buy a good board too for two systems" scenario, but I only half approve. ;)

CZroe on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just got around to opening and installing mine yesterday, the backplate thing was horrible bent so i had to do some adjusting with pliers to get it to a sembalance of straight, but its working great now, + it looks like evga accidently threw in another copy of quake wars + cd key, so 280$ canadian shipped got me an 8800gt superclocked, hitman blood money, 2 copies of quake wars and a pretty good bioshock mousepad (they were all bundled together) pretty good purchase imo ;-)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

Components are certainly dropping in price.

It looks like 512MB 8800GTs are going to end up selling for not much more than AU$300 (once they get in stock at places like MSY). A year ago, they would have sold for AU$400+, given their price in the US.

And the price drops are still trickling through, so things are only going to get better.

Of course, consumer electronics and prebuilt PCs are still a rip-off, but component prices are definitely benefiting from the strong Aussie dollar.

IT always supprises me how much more popular PC gaming is in like europe and asia, desipte the fact that they're arguably even more expensive than game consoles (in comparison to US prices).

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    its seems GTS is also going to get a makeover with the new memory and GPU..
    don't jump on the GT just yet if you guys have the patience.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9474

edit: if this does happen, I have serious doubt that it would be called 8800gts.. :\

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited November 2007
    Not that I don't trust FreddyD, but can anyone else confirm what he said? With a amd64 3.7+ it doesn't justify to buy a new graphics card?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

edited November 2007
    Not that I don't trust FreddyD, but can anyone else confirm what he said? With a amd64 3.7+ it doesn't justify to buy a new graphics card?

Personally, I think you'd see definite benefits.

One way to see if your PC is CPU-bound is to decrease the resolution of a few games to something like 800x600 or 640x480. If the frame rate doesn't improve significantly, then the CPU is the limiting factor.

If it does improve, then your GPU is probably the limiting factor, and you will be able to get better performance at higher resolutions with a new graphics card.

Marlor on
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Building a new PC at the moment. The plan was to buy an 8800 GTX Ultra within the next week for around 900 bucks.

I can SLI two of these motherfuckers for 2/3rds of that and an extra 1/3'rd performance under optional conditions.

Fuck yeah.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

One way to see if your PC is CPU-bound is to decrease the resolution of a few games to something like 800x600 or 640x480. If the frame rate doesn't improve significantly, then the CPU is the limiting factor.

If it does improve, then your GPU is probably the limiting factor, and you will be able to get better performance at higher resolutions with a new graphics card.

You'll definitely see huge improvements to many games. Recent LAN I was at had a guy with a 3500+ and an 8800GTS as well as a guy with an AMD FX62 and 7800GTXs in SLI. The 8800 was playing games in considerably higher res and detail modes. Very few games really stress the CPU, but every game stresses the g/card.

Rook on
    edited November 2007
    Thanks Marlor and Rook. I did what you said and I did saw very significant improvements! Now I just need to get some money ^^

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »

You'll definitely see huge improvements to many games. Recent LAN I was at had a guy with a 3500+ and an 8800GTS as well as a guy with an AMD FX62 and 7800GTXs in SLI. The 8800 was playing games in considerably higher res and detail modes. Very few games really stress the CPU, but every game stresses the g/card.
    That typo back there threw me off. A 3700+ is much more capable than an Athlon XP 2700+. The memory and fsb limitations on a socket A PC would have crippled your framerate more than any CPU limitations.

If you are really CPU bottlenecked, you can increase the resolution and settings without experiencing any changes in the frame rate. So if you play at GPU limited settings you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

FreddyD on