As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blade & Soul] WARLOCK! Poharan/Cerulean Order! Leveling Challenge!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Not really, but there are youtube vids of it not in English. I think a dude named Jaesung (he plays the KR version but speaks in English and streams) has some footage of it, but there really isn't much translated info for it yet as it is VERY recent.

I found this vid on youtube for a start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV6NSR6Sgr0

Oh and the maker of that skill building site says there will be an update with Soul Fighter info in the not too distant future.

Generally info on the game in English is really sparse and not very well managed. I read on bladeandsouldojo.com for info but you have to do a lot of combing for that.

Kai_San on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I see what you mean regarding the KFM/FM combo comparison. Seems like a KFM with damage layers and some ranged options.

What is this faction/clan thing I see on the homepage? I'm assuming it's mostly fluff.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I think that they are updating the game pretty rapidly, I think someone somewhere said that they try to update Western version on par with Korean in about a year. Horrible wording but I hope you'll understand...

Could the reason be a localisation or something? I mean, they propably have worked with this "base" game for some time now, and maybe they feel they need extra time to do some tweaks for the later updates? And translate etc. of course.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I do know there's the two factions where if you put on one outfit you're PvP flagged to the other.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited December 2015
    Also smaller factions, got Bamboo guard uniform that flags me against those bandits in the areas after Bamboo Beach or what's it called... There is apparently more of those "minifactions" you can join.

Grebnu on
    There are 4 faction outfit pairs and when you wear one you are pvp flagged to people wearing the other. I think the most important one is the main choice in the starter town. I know picking one locks you out of clans who picked the other. You can pay to switch. Something something endgame pvp grind for stuff.

With regards to the content, a year is a long time to catch a game up to something already released. There have been some comments that they are already done a bunch of patches so far and are sitting on them. I don't think they are done translating ALL of it, but they have more than we will get in January.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, they're paralleling DFO's launch structure quite a bit in that we're gonna be released a decent bit behind the OG service but caught up rather quickly with big bulk patches of content.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    So for the last night of beta I ended up doing 3v3 tag arena matches pretty much all night. I saw someone say "looking for people to do tag matches till servers go down!" and they were not kidding. Of course the dude happened to be a Summoner and be REALLY good so it was basically him carrying my low level Assassin and a KFM the whole night. By carrying, I mean we won 90% of our matches. I actually could do ok in the beginning but the combo of being only in the low 20s, our ranking STEADILLY increasing (I went from like 1390 to ending the night around 1550) and my FPS steadily decreasing ended up with me being a huge liability later on. But it was still fun even if I ended up more watching the matches toward the end.

I cannot figure out the FPS thing though. This is not just a Blade and Soul thing as it has happened to me in other games, just not this bad. I can get a good 40 fps when I first load the game up, but after playing for a long time (seems like hours at least) it goes down to the point of sub 10 fps. This seems to be worse in arenas than anything else. The only thing I could find is that this is a thing with Unreal Engine 3 games, but no real hard description as to why or how to deal with it. My PC is pretty old but it holds up overall, so I don't think it's that. Just worries me because I want to do arenas in this game quite seriously come release and it really makes it near impossible to do so reliably if I end up dealing with 6 fps at some point (though restarting the PC fixes it).

How much do you have RAM? Might be a memory problem? Or 32bit vs 64bit Windows thing, also memory thing too.

Something is propably hogging your resources. Or have you checked your hard drive or done defragmentation lately? Might help.

Also, do you have many programs running at the same time? And is there some program that seems to be taking resources too much?

Antivirus could be a thing, if it starts checking your computer when you are playing. I had that problem one time, didn't know that the AV had automated checks and because my comp was really old at the time, the whole PC just halted.

PC problems are just the best, you never know what is the reason for your problems until you find it...

edited December 2015
    I know you are trying to help, but I am quite knowledgeable enough to go through the list of genetic things that could be wrong with your pc. It is none of the above (defragmentation isn't even a thing for most people anymore because of ssd drives, which I am using).

The only consistent cause of something like this I found online is parts heading up and dynamically slowing to control heat, but my pc stays cool as shit all the time.

To add to the issue, I am now playing the CN client while waiting for us release. My fps is around 40 to 60 through any area not heavily populated by players and if I set some settings down when I enter arenas I always have 60. Now they have some serious optimization patches we don't yet, but this it's an awful drastic difference.

Kai_San on
  • JagmasJagmas Registered User regular
    Definitely playing this on release. Really enjoyed Force Master and Summoner class so will probably start with one of those (wasn't a big fan of Lyn but the race grew on me)

As for servers I saw Kai_San say Mushin. Is that where most PA folks are gonna be?

They have released a list of servers now so that might change.

Honestly I am now not even sure where I will be. I hate needing to find a guild like this. It seems very hard to just find a guild of people who like to PVP but don't have strict requirements.

It simply does not seem like there are enough of us to make any kind of PA thing.

I'd be interested in joining, though I don't really do PvP. /shrug

I was thinking of getting the $25 pack but the only thing that'd really get me is the head start, which isn't that big a deal.

The thing about guilds is typically you will end up losing 50-75% of the starting roster after a few months (especially in a F2P game with no commitment). If I were to hazard a guess, we might have at most 10 people here really interested.

So it is hard to really get going something based on that, unless you wanted to make it open recruitment outside of PA.

Also, if you really aren't into PVP you might end up being bored initially. It doesn't take long to hit max level, and while we should get catch up content at a reasonable pace there is very little to do currently regarding PVE at max level. There will be a few dungeons but some of the best ones aren't going to be coming till later. By best I mean actually challenging.

Not that the content we will have is bad, not at all. Just if its the only thing you are going to do, you might get bored fast unless you are going to be into trying to solo dungeons with different classes (which is a thing you can do, and quite entertaining if you like that kind of challenge).

But I guess if enough people really are interested in giving it a go with a PA Clan then say so. It might be worth a shot I guess. There aren't a lot of options out there otherwise.

It might be worth it just to get started. Even if all it ends up being is a starting place for us to get to know the game and have a few friendly voices to ask questions of, that'd be good. That's what happened with the PA group in TSW, and we had three "guilds" there (due to faction spread)!

I might try PvP once I get more of a handle of things, but it's definitely not a game type I like, no matter what game. It's okay if I get bored, too, since I do have other games to play. :)

Well the thing about just "getting it started" is that if it fails now everyone is kind of high and dry while you could have established a guild beforehand. It is not really fair to people to limit their server and faction choices for guilds just to have a temp thing.

I certainly would not want to do a PA guild without the full intention of it being permanent.

Kai_San wrote: »
    Well the thing about just "getting it started" is that if it fails now everyone is kind of high and dry while you could have established a guild beforehand. It is not really fair to people to limit their server and faction choices for guilds just to have a temp thing.

I certainly would not want to do a PA guild without the full intention of it being permanent.

Fair enough. I do appreciate that you're thinking long-term. :)

Then perhaps what we can do, is list our info on here once we start playing. We can at least agree on a server to begin with, right?

This way we know who's playing and can add people to friend lists (I'm assuming that exists for a game like this). Then let everyone play for a while, and if it comes to a point where the majority agrees on the options, a guild can be established.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Given the rather specific things you are looking for in a guild, Kai, have you given any thought to just making your own guild?

That would be the obvious solution, but I do not think I have what it takes to do what is needed to get a guild off the ground. Well by that I mean I do not have the time to commit to something like that. Not anymore at least.

I do not think its all that specific though? I just want a pvp guild that doesn't require me to have an intense play schedule to stay in it. I would actually be perfectly fine with a PVE oriented one as well, and may have to settle for that. The one I thought was going to fit ended up being a little too juvenile for my tastes. The lack of any PVP interest didn't help (and the one person actually interested in PVP like me left so that did not help either).

I would love to have a PA guild. I would love to make one. But I have been down this road numerous times and I think I have a seasoned eye for when its not going to work out.

• RebootReboot Registered User regular
    I'd be interested to join the guild but I have no idea on my commitment... and I'm in SEAsia so my timezone is gonna be way~ off. :D

If you are in asia you should be playing the EU servers because your ping otherwise will make the game unplayable.

Source - I am playing the CN version of the game right now while I wait for release. I used to have an ok connection but it was apparently a free trial of VIP connections on the VPN I was using. I went from 75ish ping to 200+. Can't find another that does better than that, so most of my playing might be done till this version releases.

• RebootReboot Registered User regular
    I was playing the CBT in US server, ping looked OK. I note your advise though. I'll follow a couple of other friends - if they stay in the US server, then I guess I'll stay with them.

• TrepperTrepper Registered User regular
    I bought a top tier founder pack. So, aside from being broke, I am SUPER psyched!

If no one is going to start the PA guild I just might if there is enough interest.

Well after talking about it a week ago and you being roughly the 4th person to say anything in that time, I would say there is a lack of interest :(

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    When the game is actually a thing and playable people will come. So long as @EriktheVikingGamer can update the OP and the title and stuff for when it releases.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Well after talking about it a week ago and you being roughly the 4th person to say anything in that time, I would say there is a lack of interest :(

I think there's just a general lack of awareness, it's not like the game's been doing a ton of advertising and the whole "Korean F2P MMO" thing makes a lot of people wary. I think once the game's actually out you'll see a lot more interest through word of mouth. Though TERA was pretty popular (relatively speaking) during its Western release, and that was a sub game at the time from what I recall.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, when it releases I'll update the title and clean up the OP a little. Update the class videos with the official videos from their Youtube page. See if I can find a beginner's primer video on Youtube and stick that up as well. Also also, I'll probably leave a little snippet saying that while there's no official PA stuff going on the majority of us seem to be ending up on the Mushin server (if it's still named that).

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    Mushin is still going to be a server. And likely the most popular (so be wary of queue times).

I think I am going to land on Master Hong now. I think I found a place that will work for me. If you do want to get a thing going for us I will put an alt in it. I will always support a PA guild I just do not want to put everything into it when I have seen what happens before. Sorry for being wary.

edited January 2016
    Unfortunately I really don't have the time to invest in building up a guild. Work and all that. But we'll see what happens.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    edited January 2016
    Trepper offered. I was willing to do it if it was going to happen. Still might if people are asking but do not want to start it. But like I said, it would be on an alt. So I couldn't be ye olde glorious leader or anything. It's just that I obviously have a pretty strong love of this game I do NOT see going away.

Kai_San on
  • TrepperTrepper Registered User regular
    Well, let's all try and end up the same server anyway? I mean, why not? If nothing else we'll have a small subset of people that have a basic grasp of what it means to not be a dick.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Hmm, someone showed this off to me and got me interested.

Why are Blade Dancers limited to just the squirrels? It was the most appealing class until I learned I couldn't play a Gerudo Blade Dancer. I'll probably still make one, but might go Force Master first instead.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    'Coz if the fluff is to be believed, they made that class to make up for the fact that they're not (quality) enough to be actual Blade Masters.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    more games need a force choke.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Korean games are known for locking classes behind races and even sexes to save work on animations. BDO's classes are gender locked and each have their own base character design.

I feel the same way about the Lyn classes, but you can make a semi decent Lyn.

While I assume this isn't an issue for you Talith, know that blade dancers are basically the pvp class atm. Stupid good in the arenas and fairly bland in pve.

Makes sense. I guess only the squirrels get to be Jedi. I'll just have to hope for a Force Master / Destroyer hybrid for the Gon.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Somehow I didn't really know anything about this game in anything but name until last night. It looks like a blast, and man have I been yearning for a new MMO. And here I was just the other day saying "this is the first time since the late 90s that there hasn't been an MMO in the works that I was interested in."

I was keeping tabs on Everquest Next until that took a dark and silent turn, and now their community manager is working for NCSoft with Blade and Soul. The other one I was keeping tabs on is Lost Ark, but that might not happen until the end of next year.

Then this game took me by surprise. I think I've been aware of the artist and the art style for the game without ever having tied it to an actual product.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    The thing that really keeps me interested is how much the combat just oozes of fighting game tones. I was really into the fighting game scene in my 20s and basically my other favorite genre was MMO. So to have a game be both is like my dream. I also love how in depth the skill building options are. You basically alter how you do combos in your builds, in addition to unlock new options in a way that feels almost fluid. Also the fact the control scheme is a set number of buttons and new skills are basically put into an existing button with just a new condition.

And while the PVE can be simple, it still feels very entertaining to play.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Talith wrote: »
    I was keeping tabs on Everquest Next until that took a dark and silent turn, and now their community manager is working for NCSoft with Blade and Soul. The other one I was keeping tabs on is Lost Ark, but that might not happen until the end of next year.

Then this game took me by surprise. I think I've been aware of the artist and the art style for the game without ever having tied it to an actual product.

Lost Ark does look pretty fantastic. It's not the type of game that scratches my MMO itch, but I'm quite eager for that one. I'm glad you brought it up because I'd forgotten all about it.
    And I'm totally with you on EQN =\

Kai_San - that sounds fantastic. I can't wait to give it a try. I've been watching a lot of the class videos and they all look very satisfying. I usually play a caster type in MMOs but the melee classes look super appealing to me in this.

vamen on