As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting games] CFN name list in the OP! Also frame data and voice chat info!

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »
    wow, dang!

that's an interesting stance, I've barely heard any slights against xrd let alone straight up rancor

I think the only thing I heard was that yrc was used too much, but I think they fixed that in revalator?

I should still buy that dang game, I am just worried playing anyone here will feel awful and then I wont have a reason to own it

Yeah those are the complaints i heard too.

Quickly followed by SEE ME IN +R.

As a curmudgen i totally understand.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I love xrd and the pc netcode is better than the consoles

meaty fireball yrc cancels with ky are godlike

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    The visual style is the antithesis of everything that made the series cool in the first place.
    The roster is a tiny, sad mockery of the last couple iterations and the mechanics are a huge step backwards.

It's like they made a Guilty Gear game to sell Blazblue & Persona.

/goose

I would say the new style was meant to retain the old style while still moving the game into the current gen.

The roster is small yes but I'm sure by the 3rd or fourth update there will be like 50 characters.

Also. I believe that most of the old Guilty Gears used the spritework from previous titles. So not that much has changed.

As for the mechanics, I think that's a matter of preference.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    xrd plays nothing like blazblue or persona

smaller rosters are necessary for the first iteration of a brand new game and make the game far less intimidating to newcomers

if you want to have bum fights in +R be my guest, but I'll over here playing the games with enough entrants to justify pot bonuses

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Where do people get the idea that Xrd and BlazBlue play anything alike?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Where do people get the idea that Xrd and BlazBlue play anything alike?

obviously if someone doesn't two different things then those things must be basically the same

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    They really don't.

Similar mechanics but used pretty differently.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    There is always a group of people refusing to move on who insist that the new games are trash. See, ST, 3rd Strike, Marvel 2, +R, etc.

The overlap with people who also want to keep the fgc as insular and hostile as possible has been quite high in my experience.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Based on my limited experience with SFV and Xrd, it seems like you don't need to get a PhD in fighting games anymore; good

By the way, aside from soldering the home button and whatever the VCC is, I'm pretty much done with the stick, which means Templewulf's old WWE all stars brawl stick is looking pretty tasty right now

wanna open it up, dig around in there

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    oh that reminds me did any of you guys peep this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBIoo8CSIg

Hayao is so supreme. Those 720s blow my mind every single time

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    3rd strike best strike

Characters I hate:

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    I love xrd and the pc netcode is better than the consoles

meaty fireball yrc cancels with ky are godlike

ky is my favorite fighting game character ever

• Options
    in lieu of xrd we should all play 3s

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    nah, I'm good

• Options
    that is some good ass david breakdowns

love me some high lvl 3s

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I knew you'd like it

you're my only real friend

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    in this weeks episode of expensive fightan gaems blackbeard picked up:

I'm relearning how to play def jam: fight for NY as we speak with a buddy of mine

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    wow, dang!

that's an interesting stance, I've barely heard any slights against xrd let alone straight up rancor

I think the only thing I heard was that yrc was used too much, but I think they fixed that in revalator?

I should still buy that dang game, I am just worried playing anyone here will feel awful and then I wont have a reason to own it

Gotta be honest.
    I'm mostly salty because none of my mains or even subs made it into XRD, and after like ten years I'm getting pretty bored of watching Eddie vs Faust matches.
    I'll shut up and play when I get Dizzy back. Jam is fine too. Still miss Zappa & Baiken fiercely.

Also? it's hard not to squint at the upcoming Blazblue (which looks glorious) and wish Guilty Gear still looked that way.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    wow, dang!

Gotta be honest.
    I'm mostly salty because none of my mains or even subs made it into XRD, and after like ten years I'm getting pretty bored of watching Eddie vs Faust matches.
    I'll shut up and play when I get Dizzy back. Jam is fine too. Still miss Zappa & Baiken fiercely.

Also? it's hard not to squint at the upcoming Blazblue (which looks glorious) and wish Guilty Gear still looked that way.

Nah man Xrd is legit one of the most gorgeous games ever made.

I hear you on that character selection though. I can only play so much I-no and Ramlethal.

When's Baiken, I need to drop Tatami's on people.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    And Zappa is burning in hell.

WHERE HE BELONGS.

• Options
    i really like gg xx zappa and hope he returns

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    zappa is who I want to play and im hopeful he will return based on their comments about wanting to add all the old characters eventually

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    wimble are you me

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Only old character I used to play that Xrd is missing is Test.

I wanna Gravedigga fools again.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I thought I would hate the YRC system in Xrd and the forced screen freeze, but you can do some awesome momentum tricks with it so it's actually pretty fun. I still enjoy the insane offensive freedom from FRCs more, but that system probably needed to go just because of how much unnecessary difficulty it added to the game. I just never had to deal with it because Order Sol had the easiest FRCs in all of +R by a pretty huge margin.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    the RC system in xrd feels like the thing that focus canceling was trying to be in sf4

except, you know, good

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    the RC system in xrd feels like the thing that focus canceling was trying to be in sf4

except, you know, good

But... RC-ing has been in gg for a very long time.

Its sf4 that was copying RC with fadc.
    Simpsons did it.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

except, you know, good

But... RC-ing has been in gg for a very long time.

Its sf4 that was copying RC with fadc.
    Simpsons did it.

I'm aware

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    I thought I would hate the YRC system in Xrd and the forced screen freeze, but you can do some awesome momentum tricks with it so it's actually pretty fun. I still enjoy the insane offensive freedom from FRCs more, but that system probably needed to go just because of how much unnecessary difficulty it added to the game. I just never had to deal with it because Order Sol had the easiest FRCs in all of +R by a pretty huge margin.

Pretty sure the hardest FRCs were 2-frame windows, which makes them easier than a rather large proportion of linked normals in SF4.
    Just sayin'

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Pretty sure the hardest FRCs were 2-frame windows, which makes them easier than a rather large proportion of linked normals in SF4.
    Just sayin'

Let me tell you how bad I am at SF4.

Alt/real answer: The faster pace of AC + the downright bizzare and unnatural FRC points on some moves + the variable timing for FRC on hit/block/whiff on certain moves (dizzy ice spike, Ky stun edge off the top of my head) made FRCs harder than linking normals in SF4s system. Also, links in SF4 gave you more damage off of confirms; FRCs for some characters were necessary just to play neutral or run their offense.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I dunno man. I'm just a scrub, but to me cancels have always felt way more natural to execute than links. I could hit ice spike FRCs reliably after a few hours in training mode.
    Five years of on-again-off-again street fighter, god knows how many hours of training mode (hundreds at least), and I still can't hit many bnb links reliably.
    There's definitely no shortage of characters in USF4 that require 1-frame links & FADCs to play at all.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Just sayin'

Well. That moreso speaks to how dumb SF's 1 frame heavy system is.

I'm glad even Ono started to realize this.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So this Smash shit going on twitter is the weirdest thing ever.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    the what now

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    the what now

There is some Smash tournament happening that is seeding "the top 32 players" past the first round.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I mean... if theres not a perfect number of entrants theres going to be byes anyway. Seeding top 32 seems to be a reasonable way to figure out who gets the bye.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Feh. Smash isn't even a real tourney game, anywaaaay. *prepares to dodge*

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Feh. Smash isn't even a real tourney game, anywaaaay. *prepares to dodge*

mario party remains nintendo's most skill based game

• Options
    fuck seeding

random brackets forever

any given sunday

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It says a lot when I have a number of local buddies who tell me they love fighting games, and talk about hosting tourneys at their place. So we start playing games and the first on the list? Smash. Or PSAS:BR, or Naruto Ninja Storm Burst 3 or whatever. Games with direction + button as specials. Sure, it's easy to say you're good and love the game when you can get a special move out at the press of a button.

Then we play KoF, or SF4 or UMvC3, and getting a fireball or doing DPs consistently becomes an issue for half of them.

I'm glad that the barrier for entry to some of the fighting games is simple, and I acknowledge that there is a bar of high level play for a game like Smash (which I can't achieve, I admit), but at a basic to intermediate level, the skill between a game like Street Fighter and Smash are wildly different. I would even say the skill between a game like Soul Calibur or Tekken and Smash is very different, which still come down to direction+button for some moves.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

This discussion has been closed.