As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The TIE Fighter pilots that come with the Assault Carrier seem pretty amazing too, Wampa and Youngster in particular

Wampa is an exciting include for just about any Empire list that has 14 points to fill.

Youngster seems exciting at first blush, but none of the EPTs you can utilize are all that worthwhile. Expert Handling just lets you break target locks, Expose trades defense for offense, when you could have just taken a focus token instead and come out probably better, Squad Leader is really built for Vader. Daredevil could lead to some fun positioning, or you blowing up, since it could one shot a TIE. I just don't know what to make of him.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    MegaMek wrote: »
    I can't do a two ship list. The Imperial in me is having a hard enough time with as few as 3 :razz:

Tho, the more I think about it, the more useless Engine seems on my Bossk. Can't focus if I boost, and I need that focus. Engine would be good on a Mangler build tho, guess I was still stuck on that mindset.

I think Engine Upgrade is suuuuuuuuuuuper important on the Hound.
    It lets you get turned back around enough to get shots on something that manages to get behind you.

Edit:
    TheDrifter wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @LockedOnTarget The best Int pilot is in the standalone

Also the 3rd best in Turr Phennir. And 3rd best for Ints isnt like...3rd best for EWings. Turr can be taken off to a tournament and do some good work.

Also the standalone has Alpha Squadron, which is totally viable. They make unbelievably nasty blockers.

Sokpuppet on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks. I'll get it then.

Having three of them is probably good anyway.

I currently have 6 interceptors, 2 of each paint scheme, so don't feel bad about having the Ace and Interceptor packs.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The TIE Fighter pilots that come with the Assault Carrier seem pretty amazing too, Wampa and Youngster in particular

Wampa is an exciting include for just about any Empire list that has 14 points to fill.

Youngster seems exciting at first blush, but none of the EPTs you can utilize are all that worthwhile. Expert Handling just lets you break target locks, Expose trades defense for offense, when you could have just taken a focus token instead and come out probably better, Squad Leader is really built for Vader. Daredevil could lead to some fun positioning, or you blowing up, since it could one shot a TIE. I just don't know what to make of him.

what about Marksmanship?

that seems okay, especially for Wampa

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, when it comes to the three Scum Unique fighters what's the general differences?

I'm aware Starviper is bad but I'll probably pick one up due to the looks/dem auto thrusters but for the other two how do they fair?

Shorty wrote: »

what about Marksmanship?

I forgot about Marksmanship!

Yeah, that could work nicely on Wampa.

I also think any time Youngster is paired with Night Beast has potential. That way NB still gets his focus (usually) and Youngster's EPT. You could even throw Chaser in to inherit NB's spent Focus.

I think thats the theme in general. It can have some neat effects, but you have to really pick your windows. Giving up a Focus or Barrel Roll is huge, because TIEs are already flying down a razors edge. You are always one bad action choice away from having some punk farm hand whooping up your death.

Of course, thats probably the way it should be, forcing you into picking windows and making hard smart calls. In that way the game is amazing. But I still cant help but be a bit disappointed that Youngster doesnt (yet) have a crazy good EPT he can mess with.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So, when it comes to the three Scum Unique fighters what's the general differences?

I'm aware Starviper is bad but I'll probably pick one up due to the looks/dem auto thrusters but for the other two how do they fair?

The Starviper is rock solid.
    I've seen Guri shred whole lists by herself.

The only problem with the Starviper is that you can only fly one of them with upgrades.

The Scyk is in a pretty bad spot, but has some love on the way. In the meantime it's still interesting and flyable in casual games.

The Kyrhaxz is a potent jouster. It boasts an amazing dial, great firepower, and Glitterstim. Excellent ship.

Sokpuppet on
    edited December 2015

Starviper - I dont know if I'd call it bad. The generics certainly are. Guri or Xizor with the Virago title can be a crazy fun ship to fly and can do some work. It moves a bit like an Int, but has the sexy S-Loop maneuver. They probably arent tournament winners, but I wouldnt shy away from the Viper in a casual setting. Or if you just want to go to a tournament and fly the coolest ship there, and aren't all caught up in being first place.

Scyk - Is bad. It doesnt have the dial or boost to truly arc dodge and unlike the Starviper the named pilots arent all that worthwhile. I can be a fairly cheap cannon carrier, until someone decides to swat it down like a gnat. For the investment you are better just taking Z-95s, unless you really want to work an Ion Cannon in for some control effects.

Kihraxz - Has no boost or roll, so its a stiff jouster, a bit like an X-Wing. It does come with two great upgrade cards in Glitterstim and Crackshot. Black Sun Ace and Talonbane Cobra both seem to be fine due to their EPT slot. Fill that and take Glitter and you should have a very solid jouster. Engine Upgrade may be a wise choice on Cobra as well, since he is PS 9.

TheDrifter on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    God, my situation with this game is like a perfect storm right now.

Tried it out right before Christmas, loved it. Got a bunch of cash in gifts. Stores here put X-Wing stuff on sale for boxing day/week.

I spend hundreds of dollars over a few days, get a buttload of ships, and get a few friends into it.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Have you tried it on Vassal, yet?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Speaking of, was there ever a results post for this last league? I know there were a few of us stragglers finishing games there for a bit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Starviper isn't a bad ship at all really, it's just you don't honestly need more than one of it. Currently the Star Viper has the benefit of coming with an amazing card (autothrusters).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Now that I'm looking at my ships, I wonder what how well a Interceptor swarm would work. You wouldn't fly them in formation like a TIE swarm, but it would be like a bee swarm of ships buzzing around a target, blowing it up and flying to the next target. Would be interesting against large ship builds.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Speaking of, was there ever a results post for this last league? I know there were a few of us stragglers finishing games there for a bit.

Not officially, no. But the standings are listed in the 2p of this thread (or the link in my signature, if I updated it)

@Grunt's Ghosts You busy tonight around 9pm eastern? Dual Squint Swarms!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Honestly Interceptor swarms would probably be okay vs a variety of lists. Just keep a high PS one as your finisher and you're golden. Maybe something like:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/377058/intyswarm

You'd have to fly Soontir pretty solidly considering you can't fit PTL into the build (makes me wonder if in this case a VI'd Tur would be a better choice) but it's one more dice than a seven strong TIE swarm and better dial options so in theory it could work. Just needs you to fly really well as any arc dodging would be pre-emptive.

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Grunt's Ghosts You busy tonight around 9pm eastern? Dual Squint Swarms!

I got some friends coming over at 1130 but I'm down. I'm in UK builder trying to decide if I want Jax or maybe try to squeeze in some Alpha Squadron Pilots.

edited December 2015
    Honestly Interceptor swarms would probably be okay vs a variety of lists. Just keep a high PS one as your finisher and you're golden. Maybe something like:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/377058/intyswarm

You'd have to fly Soontir pretty solidly considering you can't fit PTL into the build (makes me wonder if in this case a VI'd Tur would be a better choice) but it's one more dice than a seven strong TIE swarm and better dial options so in theory it could work. Just needs you to fly really well as any arc dodging would be pre-emptive.

I was thinking about doing this list:

Bee Swarm. Basically just dip, duck, dodge, dive, and dodge.

Edit: Except I don't have Engine Upgrade on my Royal Guard...

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    I was about to say-- why would you need Engine Upgrade on something that already has boost?

That actually looks like a fun list to try.

YIVQ28P.png
    I was think 5 royals with stealth device.

I think.

I'll have to go back and check.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

No, definitely wasn't that.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited December 2015
    I have seen a very effective 3 Tie Interceptor list before, which I think was mostly (?) aces. It came unstuck against a Firespray/Hounds Tooth list, but I cannot remember the specific pilots in the hounds tooth/Firespray (It was possibly Bossk and Kath Scarlett).

Edit: Here's my effort at a 3 Interceptor Squadron. Pure Interceptors. I have actually used the RGT and it's not that bad at all, doing exceptionally well against my fat Han Y-Wing TLT bullshit list, despite the lack of any nifty pilot title. The only problem with this list is that you have to manage all three interceptors having different pilot skills, which makes them trickier to coordinate - especially the RGT who only has PS6.

Aegeri on
    I'd guess that 3 Interceptor list was Jax, Fel, and Kanos. I saw one online once that was doing well in store tournaments. But that was before Scum came out.

edited December 2015
    I'd guess that 3 Interceptor list was Jax, Fel, and Kanos. I saw one online once that was doing well in store tournaments. But that was before Scum came out.

And therefore before TLTs ruined arc dodging interceptors day.

You really want autothrusters in any interceptor/arc dodger list, or you're throwing away your entire ship worth of points (as they have no shields).

Edit: Autothrusters were the only thing keeping me in that Fat Han game. Even interceptors facing jousting lists like BBBBY or similar lists are helped by having AT. It helps you survive the initial range 3 shooting, which again they get a single crit on an interceptor and it's over. 2 guaranteed evades (action) and 5 dice defending at range 3 makes you very hard to lucky crit.

edit2: Worth noting that I also have a Fat Han list that has Jan Ors in it. Han with a reroll, rolling 4 dice (5 dice at range 1) and getting gunner (potentially, I am still attached to Chewie) as well is pretty hilarious. The HWK-290 is probably not a better choice than a pair of TLT Y-Wings as support for Han, but she does have some interesting synergies and MC ensures that you can build a huge pile of focus tokens on her easily (so you can shoot with focus on every TLT shot and probably have it for defense as well - all while giving Han an extra die on all ranges).

Aegeri on
    @Grunt's Ghosts sorry, didn't realize that dinner would take two and a half hours. Driving home now so we probably wouldn't be able to get it in before your guests arrive

3basnids3lf9.jpg

:sad:

And it wasn't even good food! Stupid Buffalo Wild Wings.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I like Buffalo Wild Wings. You could have asked me to go. We could had an x-wing game there at the bar! Use the glasses as Obstacles!

I dont like chicken wings so the food I get is the same you could get anywhere for a better price. If you're ever in Lansing we can go play at Bdubs

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So, this list was somewhat effective.

Royal Guard Patrol

I need to keep an eye out on the Sensor Jammer, though. The shuttle probably would've lived longer by about 2-3 hull points.

I feel like Juke outplays Outmaneuver, primarily because you're more predictable with OM, but you also need an Evade when using Juke (one more reason to utilize that token more often). It's a lower squad cost for small ships as well.

Edit:
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Worth noting that I also have a Fat Han list that has Jan Ors in it. Han with a reroll, rolling 4 dice (5 dice at range 1) and getting gunner (potentially, I am still attached to Chewie) as well is pretty hilarious. The HWK-290 is probably not a better choice than a pair of TLT Y-Wings as support for Han, but she does have some interesting synergies and MC ensures that you can build a huge pile of focus tokens on her easily (so you can shoot with focus on every TLT shot and probably have it for defense as well - all while giving Han an extra die on all ranges).

A little strange that she'd have Deadeye as an EPT even though she doesn't have any secondary upgrades that require TL's.

XeadinMC on
    YIVQ28P.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

what about Marksmanship?

This was pretty much the main one that stood out to me, looking at Youngster

Like, just running him in a TIE swarm and giving everyone Marksmanship sounds kind of scary

edited December 2015
    I built a few squadrons and I am actually really excited to try this three X-Wing list. Integrated Astromech basically is a free HP on all of these ships and can extend their lives in a joust out. I wasn't sure to put a more valuable droid on Biggs, like R2D2 or use the cheap disposable one that also lets me get target locks (mostly when I K-Turn after a joust). Target locks on Biggs are nice for defense, because you can use them to reroll the enemies dice - which really makes him a bit of a pain to kill.

Honestly, I really wish there were more copies of IA in the T-70. It's really changed the way I view the X-Wing.

Edit: As soon as Imp Veterans comes out I am going to play with this Punisher and Tie Bomber list. I hope it's every bit as stupid as it looks.

Aegeri on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Target locks on Biggs are nice for defense, because you can use them to reroll the enemies dice
    That is only with R7, which you can't have with targeting astromech.

DO3O00C.png
    In a team game right now. Tying up 200 points of imperials with 100 points of k wing glory.

I've almost killed two phantoms in the process.

@Grunt's Ghosts I'm home now. Take two?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I'm home now if you want to try.

sure

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You guys playing on vassal?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    yeah, DMR vs GG room

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Bee Swarm vs. We're Guaaaaaaaaadddsss on Vassal. Come watch!