As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

General Purpose *Clix thread

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
For the discussion of HeroClix, HorrorClix and I guess SportsClix although that was pretty much dead the second it dropped but it has a Clix at the end so whatever.

Anyways, I've been playing HeroClix since pretty much the third Marvel set, and it's one of my favorite games. The newest Marvel expansion, Supernova, is due out this month, and features characters from Marvel's cosmic selection, like Thanos and the Silver Surfer, plus a bunch of Skrulls and Thor. There is also a 1 in 100 chance that a booster will contain one of four limited Marvel Zombies figures that are compatible with the new HorrorClix game.

Which brings me to HorrorClix. HorrorClix shares many of the basic mechanics of HeroClix, but with monsters instead of superheroes. The first set contains everything from Vampires to Priests to Zombie sorority girls to Rasputin. Oh, and a nice helping of Lovecraft monsters, including a massive C'thulu figure that runs about $85 and is convention exclusive. It also has victims, which monsters use to fuel their power, and a some cards called plot twists that help you act out horror movie cliches, one of which is a "Hairspray Flamethrower."

I should be playing HorrorClix for the first time tomorrow sometime, and I'll post a quick review of it then.

Here are some links for both games:

Official HorrorClix site

Official HeroClix site

Both official sites have galleries and stats for all the figures, as well as "HOW TO PLAY" guides

HCRealms can be a decent source for news, but the forums are horrible.

And here are some pictures:

mhc_snfigs.jpg
Stuff from the newest HeroClix set, Marvel: Supernova

HRHR_051.jpg
An Evil Leprechaun from HorrorClix

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anyone who doesn't admit Horrorclix looks awesome is a sissy.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Quick Question: are the Heroclix pieces from the City of Whatever boxes legal?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Looks like it, yeah.

Most of the older sets aren't legal anymore, and some of the promo (meaning purple ringed) figures aren't either.

And stuff like Galactus is too expensive to play with in most tournaments.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait, wait...Marvel Zombies clix? Pictures? Stats? They come in Supernova boxes but you can play them in Horrorclix?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    You can probably play them in both. I'd like to see Galactus vs. Cthulhu. How does that work out? I don't know from clix.

Squashua on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Al Baron wrote:
    Quick Question: are the Heroclix pieces from the City of Whatever boxes legal?

From what I hear Ghost Widow is actually considered pretty valuable.

But all I know about Clix is that I have 8 CoX ones sitting on my desk that are there to look pretty.

Scooter on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I still think the MechClix one is the most fun of them all, although Mage Knight is pretty cool.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Squashua wrote:
    You can probably play them in both. I'd like to see Galactus vs. Cthulhu. How does that work out? I don't know from clix.

Whoever wins, we lose?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    "1 in 4 wins a giant Cthulhu figure."

Fuck you, Wizkids.

Fuck you times sixteen.

I have about $200 dollars in Mechwarrior figures (including the blue-based Atlas guy) and about $90 in Horrorclix from the release at GenCon Indy.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    Wait, wait...Marvel Zombies clix? Pictures? Stats? They come in Supernova boxes but you can play them in Horrorclix?

They're compatible with both games.

Also here are some pictures of the figures and their cards.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I tried to buy horrorclix today. The game shop was out of stock. Based on their usual ordering methods, they probably won't stock it unless they get a lot of call.

I don't really blame them, they still have a few of the Shadowrun clix.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, in that article about Marvel Zombies I just posted:
    Coincidentally, WizKids recently announced the Hellboy and B.P.R.D. Action Pack for 2007, which will also be fully compatible with both games.

That is very nice.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    HorrorClix is easier to market mainstream than HeroClix. Cross promotion increases their audience base for both lines simultaniously, but they're doing it in a not dumb way.

WizKids is a good company.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I bought a couple of HeroClix boosters when it first came out, won three tournaments before I gave away all my figs and never played again.

It was pretty fun, but I didn't have the time for it.

EDT: What did I win from all those tournaments? I had a full anti batman team, all Limited Edition. It was pretty rockin'. And I won all those tournaments with a Steel/Bane combo, they kicked so much ass.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I just picked up a HorrorClix starter at lunch today. It's very cool.

It comes with three 3D objects (a cool looking gnarled tree and two tombstones), a map, six starter-exclusive figures and a bunch of plot twists and victim tokens.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What happened to being broke?

Also, what figures come with the starter?

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    I just picked up a HorrorClix starter at lunch today. It's very cool.

It comes with three 3D objects (a cool looking gnarled tree and two tombstones), a map, six starter-exclusive figures and a bunch of plot twists and victim tokens.
    Did they fix the thing where the maps only have 11 of the necessary 12 victim spots? D:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Probably not, it's still the first printing. They erratta'd it, though.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What happened was I somehow have like twenty dollars more in my bank account than I did on Friday.

The starter has: Bane Wolf, Blood Vamp, Chainsaw, Skeleton, Outpatient and Lynch Ghost.

And no, there are only 11 markings, which is kind of annoying. Also the Blood Vamp is missing her red starting line.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    HeroClix... bah.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game and all. But in high school, a couple of guys I hung out with got me hooked on them. I started collecting them, thinking it would be this big, fun thing that we'd all get together regularly and play. I've got a bunch of uniques, a Thanos, Six-Armed Spider-Man, a Wolverine in the brown and yellow "berserker costume", and so on.

We played the fucking game one time in the two years I hung out with them. And it was fun, but what a waste. Shitty thing is, my local comic shops won't buy them or trade them for in-store credit, and the eBay market is oversaturated.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I never play tourneys. I never have. I've always kind of seen them as a big ego-fest rather than just having fun with the game.

So I have a ton of DC HeroClix and about two dozen or so Marvel ones. Most of them are from earlier sets, all said. I haven't bought any in a while, since I haven't really seen any. My comic shop doesn't carry them, and the only chain stores I ever found them in were Toys R Annoying and MediaPlay. MediaPlay went the way of the Dodo, and going into TRU is like going into a warzone half the time.

But I played a few times. Experimented here and there with a few combinations. My wife, however, found her winning combination. She took four cops, two Robins and a Nightwing, all blues, and kicked my fucking ass.

My Foster Brother took two Flashes and a Blue Beetle in the next game and kicked my fucking ass.

How?

They learned early on to "take out Batman from long range."

I even played Superman at one point, and they teamed up and kicked my fucking ass.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm telling you man, Steel/Bane. Steel carries Bane into the fight and they rape anything that moves. Plus, once Steel takes about three hits suddenly he has a kick ass ranged attack. Though I hear this combo is not nearly as effective as it was like 5 years ago or whatever, when I last played.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Actually, my cheese combo was Huntress and two Hawkmen. Hawkman has the ability to move and attack on the same turn, and I just put Huntress at a high vantage point and used her for long-range support.

My Foster Brother became really fond of Hawk and Dove. Mainly because once you damage them, they get stronger. So he'd have them jump right into the middle of a group and let them get hit once. Then he'd bring in the Riddler and start confusing people. He got really good at the game. I think that's why we stopped playing. Heh.

Fucking kids.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    At least it isn't Marvel you guys are talking about......

Fuck Firelord.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    What pisses me off about HeroClix is that back in the day, there were 0 supers miniatures.

You'd go an be lucky to scrounge one of the DC packs (JLA, Outsiders, Titans, LSH) or Marvel ones (Packs 1 or 2, and I think 3) all with very poorly sculpted figures. Occasionally you'd stop by and get som Villains and Vigilantes figures to round out the stash.

With HeroClix, holy crap there are a f*ckton of supers miniatures.

Squashua on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    At least it isn't Marvel you guys are talking about......

Fuck Ultron.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ultimate Thor is the best. He's about fifty points cheaper than he really should be.

And Firelord isn't really broken anymore. They've modified the rules a bit to where a lot of the cheesiest things aren't effective any more.

They've also added Feat Cards and BattleField Condition cards that really open the game up a little bit beyond the standard combos.

Also, hookerbombs died about a year, maybe two years ago, if not more.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    jak7890jak7890 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait, what? Seriously? NO ONE has broached the subject of making the PA characters into Hero- (or Horror-, for that matter) Clix!?!?! Maybe it's been talked about in a different thread; I dunno. How cool would it be to see the FruitFucker(tm) with enhanced fead-reamers and the CTS on a team with Frank (who'd bring in the range with Mabel) go and kick Superman's ass!?!? And don't even get me started on using the ole Lamb of Hosts!!! Hold on, gotta change pants.

Anyway, I've found that the best bet is to find some people who are interested, then by enough for them to play with your pieces. Expensive, but earn plenty of mileage. Fortunately, there are at least 3 people at my work I can play with, not to mention bi-weekly 'tournaments' at one of my local game stores. I got lucky, I guess. It's gotten to the point where my collection's large enough for me to start cutting on doubles in the hopes of making custom clix. It's hard though, since most customs look like ass.

jak7890 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    jak7890 wrote:
    Wait, what? Seriously? NO ONE has broached the subject of making the PA characters into Hero- (or Horror-, for that matter) Clix!?!?! Maybe it's been talked about in a different thread; I dunno. How cool would it be to see the FruitFucker(tm) with enhanced fead-reamers and the CTS on a team with Frank (who'd bring in the range with Mabel) go and kick Superman's ass!?!? And don't even get me started on using the ole Lamb of Hosts!!! Hold on, gotta change pants.

Anyway, I've found that the best bet is to find some people who are interested, then by enough for them to play with your pieces. Expensive, but earn plenty of mileage. Fortunately, there are at least 3 people at my work I can play with, not to mention bi-weekly 'tournaments' at one of my local game stores. I got lucky, I guess. It's gotten to the point where my collection's large enough for me to start cutting on doubles in the hopes of making custom clix. It's hard though, since most customs look like ass.

There's really not enough characters.

I forsee SE++CLIX

Imagine a 240 point Whippy.

Pkmoutl on