As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I would probably still stick with Amazon, since I've got Prime

I ordered two TIEs and an X-Wing yesterday and received them that night for no extra charge

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm still getting used to the economy of this sort of thing, I am incredibly new to any kind of tabletop game

It seems like you should get the Inquisitor even if you don't care about the ship, cause good god does that Guidance Chip upgrade sound useful for just about anything

Is that kinda par for the course with these expansions?

Sometimes.

In this case, Guidance Chip has quite a bit of overlap with other useful Modification upgrades.

If I had to pick between buying a couple of TIE Advanced Prototypes or the upcoming Imperial Veterans (which contains Long Range Scanners - another Modification which is beneficial to ordnance), I would probably go with the latter. YMMV.

The TAP, though...
    The green hard-1 is potentially very strong, but the absence of K-5 and of higher speed green turns/banks is kind've weird. It's a very strange hybrid of arc-dodger and jouster.
    The TIE/v1 title is a masterful piece of design that pulls it all together.
    The S-Thread Tracers offer a really interesting and potent bit of synergy with the title. It's like an inverted Alpha Strike.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It is worth noting that the Punishing One comes with multiple copies of Guidance Chimps (as the official forum has already named them)

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It is worth noting that the Punishing One comes with multiple copies of Guidance Chimps (as the official forum has already named them)

I am also going to get that because I need to play as Dengar, that mummy fuck

So I guess I will be swimming in guidance

6F32U1X.png
    I just want more autothrusters from ANYWHERE.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Auto thrusters will be in the next huge scum ship. Just ten copies of them.

That's the only upgrade card included.

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Auto thrusters will be in the next huge scum ship. Just ten copies of them.

That's the only upgrade card included.

Honestly, if they started selling booster packs for upgrades, I'd buy the shit out of them.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    Aegeri wrote: »

Good to know!

I can understand not doing it for new stuff but for old stuff it's quickly reaching the point of being a turn off for new players.

Would absolutely be worth it to put out a catch up/essentials pack for waves 1-5 or something and then just trail behind the waves with them.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I would probably still stick with Amazon, since I've got Prime

I ordered two TIEs and an X-Wing yesterday and received them that night for no extra charge

I have Prime as well, and order from Amazon extensively. Like, I rarely shop in person for anything other than groceries anymore.

That said, the price differences can be significant at times - enough for even an Amazon addict like myself to go CSI for most of this stuff.

But if you aren't ordering enough to get free shipping with CSI, or want your new ships super fast, then Amazon starts making more sense.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Anyone around for a game on Vassal?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited January 2016
    My apologies everyone, checking Dengar on the preview he has TWO copies of guidance chips - not four.

I actually checked all the ships and none of them have autothrusters :(

Edit: I am now absolutely 100% certain we will only see ATs in a Scum Aces pack.

Aegeri on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    cards are typically useful beyond whatever ship they initially come with, yeah (some more than others). Guidance Chip is a modification upgrade, which means any ship can take it - these are more applicable to everybody and there's not too many of them as a result.

that being said, there's like three modification cards devoted to trying to make torpedoes/missiles more appealing now, so you can probably skip this one if you want.

It also shows up in one of the upcoming scum ships so that's another option if you want the card but don't care about this ship in particular.

Oh I'm gonna get the Inquisitor anyway just cause it looks rad, I'm just trying to get a handle on how this works

Are there specific release dates for this stuff?

Or is it more of a window of "your shop will probably get this around here"

I'd probably prefer to buy from Amazon cause I don't really have a local shop

As someone who just started buying X-Wing ships, and did it all online since the only local shops that sell it do so at full MSRP: shop around online. Amazon does occasionally have the best prices on some ships. Usually though CoolStuffInc will have better prices. Miniatures Market may as well. I ended up doing most of my buying through CSI, with just a few ships from Amazon. It looks like most future purchases will be through CSI as well, but I'll check at least those 3 sites whenever I do plan to pick something up.

Do remember to take S&H into consideration when comparing sites. Most sites will only give free shipping and handling if you drop a hundred bucks or more per order. That's great if you're buying into a game and want a bunch of ships at once, but if you're just buying a ship or two at a time, that can quickly add a chunk of change onto your cost.

Amazon Prime can really be your friend.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok so now that I have seen the movie and want more ships from it. I read through all the spoilers in the thread and have to wonder if...
    they will bring out the TIE/sf since it has more than the average TIE/fo. Reading the specs for the sf it is what Poe and Finn steal. Also will they let Poe pilot one for the resistance to allow players to reproduce the movie?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    Ultimately I think K-wings are my favourite ship to fly in X-wing right now. They've got a unique role of being the worlds fattest arc dodgers, which is a weird thing to say about a ship sporting 9HP, a turret and a max move speed of 3. However thanks to the SLAM action, currently unique to them, they have some of the hardest to pin down aces in the game. A K-wing can rocket forwards an astonishing 6 speed in a turn, it can do a full 180 without taking stress, it can go forwards four while also shifting itself about four distance to the left or right, all with the only downside being the inability to shoot.

Good write up Albino, HOWEVER! Its actually 7 forward, right? Have to count the length of your base between move and SLAM.

We'd probably have to already know about other TFA expansions.
    Doesn't make a ton of sense to launch them a six months or a year after TFA.
    I suspect the next movie-related ships we see will be stuff in the next film.
    Doesn't necessarily preclude stuff we've already seen.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Episode VIII is out in about two years, they've got enough time to do a wave of more EU stuff and then throw that in with some other ships for the new film.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Blarg, my TFA starter and TIE Interceptor got dropped off at my rent office on the 30th while I was at work, and I didn't realize they closed at like 1pm yesterday.

So they've been locked in there for the past couple days, and I won't get to grab them until tomorrow.

Also comparing it to the Ghost, the Inquisitor seemed like kind of a meh addition, but some really neat stuff there.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Episode VIII is out in about two years, they've got enough time to do a wave of more EU stuff and then throw that in with some other ships for the new film.

Ah bummer, although I guess I can wait for E8 since I haven't played a game yet and I've waited this long for a new movie. With my luck I'll get addicted and want to buy all the stuff out now which is really expensive.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, there's a thread where I'm gonna run an introductory battle for Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, a cooperative campaign for x-wing minis. If the into battle goes well it might expand.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Ah bummer, although I guess I can wait for E8 since I haven't played a game yet and I've waited this long for a new movie. With my luck I'll get addicted and want to buy all the stuff out now which is really expensive.

They could do a release of TFA ships timed to the blu-ray release this year. I could see Ren's shuttle and the fancier Tie Fighter coming out in another wave or two.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    With my new wave of scum ships it's kinda hard to pick a list to play for next week.

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/379355/kath-and-her-pirates#manoeuvres=hide is a possible one I've being jostling around with. Pretty much just Kath + Supports.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What do you guys use for storage for everything?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Plano cases!

I have a carry-on suitcase I keep the whole works in.
    Couple of planos and deckboxes inside that, with various stuff distributed around strategic pockets and such.
    I've been meaning to pick up a binder for the cards.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I've got a Battlefoam travel case and some flats for all of my wave 1-3 stuff. My later stuff is in other boxes, and I'll be getting some custom Battlefoam trays for the fleets I want to run / carry around.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've got all my stuff in a plastic grocery bag. I do keep the pieces in a set of ziplock baggies and the cards separated by a series of color-coded rubber bands.
    Naw, double Plano for me! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    My ships are sitting on top of my computer desk and the pieces are in an old tackle box.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've got a spare cabinet I store my minis in

for transport I actually just use one of the boxes that FFG gives out in all their tournament kits, though I tend not to play lists with more than three ships so that probably isn't best for most people

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I use these for my home storage, then I have a small plano box that I carry whatever ships I'm going to use for a game with their associated cards and bits.

lostmjw4k88l.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    So you can't PTL to barrel roll twice, but can a Squad Leader let the PTLer do another barrel roll?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So you can't PTL to barrel roll twice, but can a Squad Leader let the PTLer do another barrel roll?

I believe the rules state you can ever only do one action per round. Squad Leader allows them to perform one free action, but it has to be an action they haven't already done.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    You can double if it says "perform a free barrel roll action" like BB-8, right?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    No. You can only perform a given action once per round, even if it's free.

For example, I can't barrel roll, then use Experimental Interface to use Expert Handling.

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

i use 2 husky toolboxes. One with small compartments in the lower tray and another with a deeper/ open lower tray compartment for my epic ships.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I have 3 planos, one for each faction. The scum Plano isn't quite full, so it also has all my pilot and upgrade cards. The Imperial and Rebel planos are filled pretty close to the brim.

I have a display cabinet that I haven't built yet, but when it is built, I'll set up the ships in there, and just take out the ones as needed for when I take them places.

crimsoncoyote on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I've heard good things about tackle boxes

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    51u22bc2zHL._SL1500_.jpg

I've got two of these. One for imperial and one for rebel.
    Plano 5231

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Anyone here skilled enough to re-paint the minis in Vassal?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Anyone here skilled enough to re-paint the minis in Vassal?

Are they just .png's or something?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png