As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Big thanks to @Kendrik for the Papers, Please! code. I've watched hours upon hours of streams and have always wanted to play it.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    Hey Steam thread!

While I can come up with some ideas, I always enjoying finding stuff out from a larger group to catch any hidden gems I may miss, so without a ton of context or knowledge of what's already been suggested, I pose this to you. A friend just finished putting together a new gaming PC after years of missing out, they are now on the hunt for games before the sale ends and games to think about as they move forward into the gaming world again.

I was given this information through separate comments in a conversation.
    - RPGs and Action Adventure games like Legend of Zelda
    - Grew up on Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy
    - Baldur's Gate
    - Starcraft and Civilization
    - Diablo 2

Various friends have already given them some ideas and they already picked up Skyrim.

What other suggestions based on the limited data above would you give?

Grab the Titan Quest key from my list above and give it to them. It's VERY much a Diablo 2 Clone. Grim Dawn and the Van Helsing games are also excellent ARPGs. I've already mentioned my love of Kingdom of Amaldur, but I'll point that out again, as well. Pillars of Eternity is a must-have as well if they liked the Baldur's Gate stuff. I've been enjoying PA: Titans at it's sale price, as well.

Agreed. I will say that unless someone played the Infinity Engine games back in the day and has some fondness for them, Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition might be better for scratching that sort of itch with a lower learning curve and more nods to modern UI decisions. To extend Fawst's excellent analogy from page 1, D:OS is more Rogue Squadron and PE is more Flight Simulator of old school CPPGs.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I was browsing my discovery queue again today and came across Cryptark, which is an early access game that looks amazing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc5WUECoJTQ

I'm sure I missed someone in here talking about it already. Figured that more people might want to take a look at it.

Also, stay away from Ubisoft's Arcade Pack, for obvious reasons:
    osu3p3t4cueo.jpg

Might as well just buy the games individually!

ubi.jpg 54.2K
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    Hey Steam thread!

While I can come up with some ideas, I always enjoying finding stuff out from a larger group to catch any hidden gems I may miss, so without a ton of context or knowledge of what's already been suggested, I pose this to you. A friend just finished putting together a new gaming PC after years of missing out, they are now on the hunt for games before the sale ends and games to think about as they move forward into the gaming world again.

I was given this information through separate comments in a conversation.
    - RPGs and Action Adventure games like Legend of Zelda
    - Grew up on Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy
    - Baldur's Gate
    - Starcraft and Civilization
    - Diablo 2

Various friends have already given them some ideas and they already picked up Skyrim.

What other suggestions based on the limited data above would you give?

Grab the Titan Quest key from my list above and give it to them. It's VERY much a Diablo 2 Clone. Grim Dawn and the Van Helsing games are also excellent ARPGs. I've already mentioned my love of Kingdom of Amaldur, but I'll point that out again, as well. Pillars of Eternity is a must-have as well if they liked the Baldur's Gate stuff. I've been enjoying PA: Titans at it's sale price, as well.

Agreed. I will say that unless someone played the Infinity Engine games back in the day and has some fondness for them, Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition might be better for scratching that sort of itch with a lower learning curve and more nods to modern UI decisions. To extend Fawst's excellent analogy from page 1, D:OS is more Rogue Squadron and PE is more Flight Simulator of old school CPPGs.

I thought about mentioning Original Sin, but I considered it to have a pretty sharp learning curve itself. That said, it's definitely an excellent game that forces you to plan your every move.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    edit: extra l there

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    edit: dammit, can't get Geth to roll. let's do this the old fashioned way

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @SteevL, Cryptark was worked on by a PAer - McGibs. :)

Oh hey, a window!

Sx3S3kg.jpg

Thanks @SniperGuy for the first episode of King's Quest! I know this is getting rave reviews from folks who have played it. Thanks for the chance to check it out myself! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    With the new year and now voluntarily unemployed, I'm going to be taking a break from the Gift War. I've removed my card from steam (since I already maxed it), and I wish those brave souls still fighting to carry on with their classy selves.

For those that may see this as a moment of weakness in which to strike. Remember that I am patient and my wrath will fall upon you like the green sale stickers fall across the steam store: Sudden and without rhyme or reason.

But instead I offer you these poor souls to grind down: @Quical has agreed to take over birthday duties and @Karoz will fill in as the drunk gifter.

solid-snake-saluting-in-metal-gear-solid-4.jpg

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Kendrik for Closure!
    Also, for the game.
    *Badum-TSH*
    Seriously, I've got nothin'.
    Maybe @CorriganX does.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I figure there's already a bunch of these floating around, but I'm not going to use them so I'll just throw them up here if anybody wants them

Steam codes from the current square enix humble bundle

Life is Strange Episode 1 HIGKM-V37I3-J7CNP

Tomb Raider 1 4MP0Z-5Y6VK-NVFMG

Tomb Raider 2 EW382-JEBNY-Y4KVE

Tomb Raider 3 9GEI9-QJFYW-6PDWJ

Murdered Soul Suspect BFQTY-EYT67-7DHLI

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    @anoffday @chris: waffle king how do you like Dungeon of the Endless? Just noticed it's only $4 and it looks like a pretty interesting puzzle/rpg/rts sort of game from what I've seen of it.
    In badge news, still have my last card on trade hold for another 16 minutes... How in the world RNG gave me 5 of one card and 4 of two other cards and still not a single one of several (thanks to traders here I got them).

@Custom Special, Dungeon of the Endless is incredible. It's a potpie of genre types that works incredibly well together. It's turn-based in the sense that nothing happens until you open another door. It's realtime in that depending on what's behind the door things may get hairy for a bit. It's tower defense in that you can set up weapons in rooms, and it's sort of city management (?) in that you have limited power to light up rooms and prevent spawns and setup weapons. You can RTS your heroes around as well. It's got roguelike flavor in the randomness of gear & certain room types and finding heroes and deadly death.

All together, though, it works incredibly well.

I highly recommend skimming the thread for some of the meaty strategy posts by @The Dude With Herpes and others. I'm not great at the game by any measure, but I did go from being terrible to getting by after I read there that heroes are mostly pretty fragile and you want to use them to camp dark rooms and prevent spawns and maybe supplement heavy tower rooms more than DukeNukeming it. Thinking more tower defense and creating long kill rooms with complementary towers and keeping heroes out of melee as much as possible got me far enough to finish a game or two (no mean feat for me with all those floors....)

It's a stylish and distinctive game with a lot to recommend it. If it takes, it's got a powerful one-more-door compulsion like the best turn-based games, but with chaos and a real payoff for thinking up a strategy, trying it out and having it work.

EDIT: And it's $4 right now?!

signature.png

Dungeon of the Endless is the most wonderful thing ever.

And it gets so many frequent free updates that man, even if you ultimately decide it's not your thing?

Support those damn devs. We need more of them.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Kendrik for Titan Quest for my friend's new PC gaming collection!

I just sent it over to him - so once he gets back to his PC I'm sure he'll flip out.
    (Told him to get his butt on the forums and see the various game suggestions I've been sending over, but I don't know if he made an account yet.)

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @anoffday @chris: waffle king how do you like Dungeon of the Endless? Just noticed it's only $4 and it looks like a pretty interesting puzzle/rpg/rts sort of game from what I've seen of it.
    In badge news, still have my last card on trade hold for another 16 minutes... How in the world RNG gave me 5 of one card and 4 of two other cards and still not a single one of several (thanks to traders here I got them).

@Custom Special, Dungeon of the Endless is incredible. It's a potpie of genre types that works incredibly well together. It's turn-based in the sense that nothing happens until you open another door. It's realtime in that depending on what's behind the door things may get hairy for a bit. It's tower defense in that you can set up weapons in rooms, and it's sort of city management (?) in that you have limited power to light up rooms and prevent spawns and setup weapons. You can RTS your heroes around as well. It's got roguelike flavor in the randomness of gear & certain room types and finding heroes and deadly death.

All together, though, it works incredibly well.

I highly recommend skimming the thread for some of the meaty strategy posts by @The Dude With Herpes and others. I'm not great at the game by any measure, but I did go from being terrible to getting by after I read there that heroes are mostly pretty fragile and you want to use them to camp dark rooms and prevent spawns and maybe supplement heavy tower rooms more than DukeNukeming it. Thinking more tower defense and creating long kill rooms with complementary towers and keeping heroes out of melee as much as possible got me far enough to finish a game or two (no mean feat for me with all those floors....)

It's a stylish and distinctive game with a lot to recommend it. If it takes, it's got a powerful one-more-door compulsion like the best turn-based games, but with chaos and a real payoff for thinking up a strategy, trying it out and having it work.

EDIT: And it's $4 right now?!

signature.png

I'Il have to check out the thread. Bought it pretty quick after the couple recommendations after my post. I've had it on my radar for a while, watched some plays a long time ago and really liked how it looked. Now I just have to find time to play it!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    @Fawst

Check out Hack RUN.
    You are probably aware of Uplink but I'll link it anyway.

Awesome! Uplink is a buck and change, so I'm getting that for sure. Hack Run looks great, too.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Four games off the backlog so far in 2016, the most recent being Deadlight. I'm not usually a fan of zombies OR of platform games where you need to repeat sections 10 or 15 times until you get the timing JUST right, but for some reason the two in combination worked well for me.

Also, post-apocalyptic Seattle was pretty neat, and the atmosphere actually benefits from having most of the devastation shown on distant layers; there's a ton of detail in the background that you don't actually interact with, but it really sells the this-is-not-a-happy-place vibe.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    Karoz will fill in as the drunk gifter.

It's a heavy burden but...

*looks at margarita he is enjoying*

someone has to do it.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »
    Karoz will fill in as the drunk gifter.

someone has to do it.

I have absolute faith in your abilities here. <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    A big thank you to @Iolo for scratching my tactical, turn based RPG itch.

OVaEUDA.png

I'm really looking forward to this one. Much appreciated!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    @Fawst

Check out Hack RUN.
    You are probably aware of Uplink but I'll link it anyway.

Awesome! Uplink is a buck and change, so I'm getting that for sure. Hack Run looks great, too.

Oh man yeah, Uplink is great. So much personality in such a concise design.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    someone has to do it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So yeah, Gremlins Inc. I've only played the training, and I think I get it but there's just so much going on in the game. Your cards are constantly switching because you have to use them to move, but also you want to keep certain ones so you have a goal to get gold/industry, but then opponents are switching your cards around and constantly sending you to jail, but then there's an election after some set amount of time that makes someone Gremlin Governor so they don't pay bribes or taxes, and then.... like AGH! The devs need a better tutorial that isn't text box after text box.

Pros:
    Neat Indie Board Game
    Cool Art
    Funny text and mechanics
    Single player challenges
    Online Multiplayer

Cons:
    SO many PvPvE interactions it's confusing
    Tutorial needs work
    Currently feels like less strategy, more RNG
    Little direction in terms of goals besides "Get Industry in any way possible"
    Edit - No save in single player challenges >_>

I'm gonna give it a couple more games before I pass on it to the next game, but Armello still takes the cake as far as digital board games go IMO. If you like board games then give it a shot, if not you're probably not missing anything. Thanks again to @Petesalzl for the gift!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone have a link for the steam battle 2015 e_book?

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Anyone have a link for the steam battle 2015 e_book?
    Here's bloodatonement's post with the link.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    ugh massive chalice is infuriating me.

somehow i keep ending up with only have one blood line. when the first vanguard starts to die off I stupidly end up having a keep with no children and tons of children from one family. so now this family has two keeps and ugh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The last page of the comic is soooooo bad in a good way. I imagine the entire thing was written just to get to that pun.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I too have been hit by the mysterious gifter who wishes to remain anonymous and is dropping copies of Aces Wild everywhere!

mzv5184y0t6d.jpg

Thank you very much, benefactor-whose-secret-is-safe-with-me! <3

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    Give Geth an Avatar

You donated the cash, and now it's time for Geth to get a funky new avatar! Here's how to submit a candidate.
    1. PM me an avatar. Mention it's for Geth somewhere.
    2. You may only submit ONE avatar. If you submit more than one, then I will accept neither because the rules are right here.
    3. Avatars must obey the rules: only safe-for-work material, no advertising, and gifs must be 80x80 pixels if you want it to animate.
    4. You must submit your avatars by Monday, January 3rd at 11:59pm. Yes this is a little over 48 hours. I don't want my inbox to be flooded.
    5. After the submissions are in, I will post a gallery of nominees. Depending on how many entries we get, I may do a vote, take the top like ten or so avatars, and then do another vote. We'll see.
    6. The new avatar will be up for roughly a month. Maybe longer if it's particularly good, but no promises.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Went out to run some errands and came back to the gift of Loom from @Elin! I can finally tell that pirate to stop bothering about it.

Also got Transistor from @an_alt! You guys are too kind. I don't deserve the amount of kindness this community contentiously shows me.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    @chrisnl , I just want to say that I'm really enjoying your KOTOR posts. Being able to revisit such a classic, vicariously through your fresh eyes, really is turning out to be extremely enjoyable. Thank you, and I look forward daily to your updates. :)

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So yeah, Gremlins Inc. I've only played the training, and I think I get it but there's just so much going on in the game. Your cards are constantly switching because you have to use them to move, but also you want to keep certain ones so you have a goal to get gold/industry, but then opponents are switching your cards around and constantly sending you to jail, but then there's an election after some set amount of time that makes someone Gremlin Governor so they don't pay bribes or taxes, and then.... like AGH! The devs need a better tutorial that isn't text box after text box.

Pros:
    Neat Indie Board Game
    Cool Art
    Funny text and mechanics
    Single player challenges
    Online Multiplayer

Cons:
    SO many PvPvE interactions it's confusing
    Tutorial needs work
    Currently feels like less strategy, more RNG
    Little direction in terms of goals besides "Get Industry in any way possible"
    Edit - No save in single player challenges >_>

I'm gonna give it a couple more games before I pass on it to the next game, but Armello still takes the cake as far as digital board games go IMO. If you like board games then give it a shot, if not you're probably not missing anything. Thanks again to Petesalzl for the gift!

After a couple more games, this thing is way too random for it to be entertaining by yourself in singe player or matchmaking. It is probably fun with friends though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Haven't gotten one of these randos trying to friend me on Steam in a while.

Anyone know "Coma_Tose"?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So for the first day in a while the Discovery Queue actually revealed some entertaining stuff.

Also this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/363460

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So for the first day in a while the Discovery Queue actually revealed some entertaining stuff.

Also this.

Welp. Time to sell some Steam cards. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    phr00t's games look weird but I've had a ton of fun playing them.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular

Also this.

Sat here as I stood and awed
    At a game that's quite odd

Then, an abomination against God!

ss_fcfcd43bce7f8996439936125d74c355dd2aaefa.1920x1080.jpg?t=1451573651

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    chrisnl , I just want to say that I'm really enjoying your KOTOR posts. Being able to revisit such a classic, vicariously through your fresh eyes, really is turning out to be extremely enjoyable. Thank you, and I look forward daily to your updates. :)

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep people appraised of my progress. I haven't played it any yet today since I've been somewhat busy, but I should be talking to Sand People and Jawas soon. Going in without doing any research at all has been interesting, and there are quite a few things I would have done differently if I had known then what I know now. I'm not usually one to replay games (Mass Effect 1 & 2 being notable exceptions . . . hey those are Bioware too!) but I might try out a different approach to the game once I finish the first playthrough or if I just end up in an unwinnable situation (which isn't something you generally have to worry about with more recent games).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I've got a ways to go before I hit my usual level 10 sales badge, but I'm WAAAAAAY overloaded on 11 and (particularly) 10.

If anyone needs 11 or 10, just shoot me a trade.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So I've got a ways to go before I hit my usual level 10 sales badge, but I'm WAAAAAAY overloaded on 11 and (particularly) 10.

...Wait, Level 10 in this Winter Sale badge?

How many things did you buy?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

...Wait, Level 10 in this Winter Sale badge?

How many things did you buy?

I mean he probably buys them on the market. Not quite as crazy as the PalmDesert guy who currently has a level 14k holiday badge.

Man has too much money.

Isorn on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »

Also this.

Sat here as I stood and awed
    At a game that's quite odd

Then, an abomination against God!

ss_fcfcd43bce7f8996439936125d74c355dd2aaefa.1920x1080.jpg?t=1451573651

Abort, Retry, Continue?

This discussion has been closed.