As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So I've got a ways to go before I hit my usual level 10 sales badge, but I'm WAAAAAAY overloaded on 11 and (particularly) 10.

If anyone needs 11 or 10, just shoot me a trade.

...Wait, Level 10 in this Winter Sale badge?

How many things did you buy?

This year?

Nada, actually. Other than a Steam Link (which BOOO shipping/tax doesn't count so I'm literally 1 cent short of another card).

I crafted lots of other badges, though. Spent....5 bucks on cards of various sorts?

I just aim for a level 10 badge for each sale thing (well, mostly - they fluctuate here and there. Summer 2015 was 12, Holiday 2014 was 25, Summer 2014 was 20, Holiday 2013 was 15....okay, so NEVER 10, but I aim for it, damnit), and a level 1 foil badge.

But yeah, this sale is abnormal for me. I'm taking the "need to save" thing to heart (even though I just got the class action settlement over wages). I've been gifted 6 games (not all from here), and I bought the Steam Link, but that's literally it for this sale.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    chrisnl , I just want to say that I'm really enjoying your KOTOR posts. Being able to revisit such a classic, vicariously through your fresh eyes, really is turning out to be extremely enjoyable. Thank you, and I look forward daily to your updates. :)

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep people appraised of my progress. I haven't played it any yet today since I've been somewhat busy, but I should be talking to Sand People and Jawas soon. Going in without doing any research at all has been interesting, and there are quite a few things I would have done differently if I had known then what I know now. I'm not usually one to replay games (Mass Effect 1 & 2 being notable exceptions . . . hey those are Bioware too!) but I might try out a different approach to the game once I finish the first playthrough or if I just end up in an unwinnable situation (which isn't something you generally have to worry about with more recent games).

Cool, thanks. I'm not going be any help with the mechanics of the game - they've never been my strong point anyway with RPGs, and I've pretty much forgotten specifics about KOTOR because it's been twelve years since I played it! But the story, locations and characters stick in the ol' memory far better, mainly because that's far more what I go to RPGs for, so that's what I'm personally enjoying most when reading about your continuing adventures.

I really should play it again, some of my favourite things about all of Star Wars are in that game.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Isorn wrote: »
    So I've got a ways to go before I hit my usual level 10 sales badge, but I'm WAAAAAAY overloaded on 11 and (particularly) 10.

I mean he probably buys them on the market. Not quite as crazy as the PalmDesert guy who currently has a level 14k holiday badge.

Man has too much money.

Good lord, he's over level 900.

If you want to see where you stack up, both in terms of level, number of games, etc.
    Level 133. 948th in world, 139th in region, 106th in country.

919 games. 2862th in the world, 380th in region, 277th in country.

5291hrs total tracked playtime (which is low, should be higher). 4998th in world, 815th in region, 613rd in country.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular

I mean he probably buys them on the market. Not quite as crazy as the PalmDesert guy who currently has a level 14k holiday badge.

Man has too much money.

If you want to see where you stack up, both in terms of level, number of games, etc.

5291hrs total tracked playtime (which is low, should be higher). 4998th in world, 815th in region, 613rd in country.

Oh god im scared to even look at mine, it'll be so low!

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Getting started in Massive Chalice. So far it feels a lot more like XCOM than FFT.

This is the type of game where I really like to hit up GameFAQs, read the intro, the tips section at the end, and then skip the rest of the walkthrough. Just enough to get a feel for the mechanics and enough advice to skip the ineffectual options instead of figuring it out with trial and error.

Unfortunately, I didn't spot a guide so I'm going in blind. Sometimes that's part of a game's charm. Other times there are a lot of systems in play and it's nice to get an overview.

Also, the background music has a Trent Reznor vibe, which is kinda cool.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    UseR2006 wrote: »

Man has too much money.

im top 200 in games and played time in america

thats so depressing.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    chrisnl , I just want to say that I'm really enjoying your KOTOR posts. Being able to revisit such a classic, vicariously through your fresh eyes, really is turning out to be extremely enjoyable. Thank you, and I look forward daily to your updates. :)

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep people appraised of my progress. I haven't played it any yet today since I've been somewhat busy, but I should be talking to Sand People and Jawas soon. Going in without doing any research at all has been interesting, and there are quite a few things I would have done differently if I had known then what I know now. I'm not usually one to replay games (Mass Effect 1 & 2 being notable exceptions . . . hey those are Bioware too!) but I might try out a different approach to the game once I finish the first playthrough or if I just end up in an unwinnable situation (which isn't something you generally have to worry about with more recent games).

Are you using any mods for widescreen or resolution? I want to get into it, but all I can do was play in a window and it started to drive me crazy.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Man has too much money.

thats so depressing.

I'm #158 in the US for games.

It's like my life has lost all meaning.

I blame monsters.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Man has too much money.

thats so depressing.

I blame monsters.

I don't even crack the top 500 in hours payed in australia. Need to play more games.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    To be fair, I think the important metric here is "of public profiles."

They can't get the info from profiles which aren't public.

• Options

So i could be even worse off in the rankings. Awesome XD

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    new case

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Plus, the profiles that are public only get ranked by country if the user sets a country on their profile. I mean, I'm ranked 89th in my country for games and 59th for xp. That can't be right.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Vijeo games are fun. Praise playtimes and awesome acquirers!

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Man has too much money.

thats so depressing.

I blame monsters.

I'm 100th in the UK.

I mean... just... what :eek:

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    new case

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Because I couldn't fit the Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler I bought myself a few months back in the other case. The side fan made it impossible.

Besides, I'd been using the same case for like 7 years. It was time to look at something else. :wink:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Man has too much money.

thats so depressing.

I blame monsters.

I'm 100th in the UK.

Eh. It's also claiming there are only 2160 Steam users in the UK, so...

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    anoffday wrote: »
    Went out to run some errands and came back to the gift of Loom from @Elin! I can finally tell that pirate to stop bothering about it.

Also got Transistor from @an_alt! You guys are too kind. I don't deserve the amount of kindness this community contentiously shows me.

Technically, that was one last Santa gift from me. Maybe a little past the line, but hey, let's keep the spirit alive.

Well hell, since I posted in here anyhow:

If you like Tower Defense and you haven't bought GemCraft - go buy it. I know you can play for free in a browser but throw the developer $2, it's way worth it.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    @Custom Special , sorry i didn't see your post until now. You've already picked up "Dungeon...", so, instead of recommending it, i'll congratulate you on your purchase. i hope you enjoy sending people into the meatgrinder over and over again (i do).

Also, though i think it may have been mentioned, this thread is full of mentoring goodness. Also, only ten pages long. Ten dense, meaty pages of very useful information. But still, much easier to get through than multiple 100pg Steam Threads.

The best advice i can give with my very limited amount of gametime so far is "Easy," as used by the devs, should be taken as a lie on par with "Heroin is basically a painkiller, like aspirin, right?" or "Chunks of saf-t-glass give a remarkable texture to this chocolate mousse." There is no shame playing on Very Easy when it is, in fact, more akin to "Normal" in any sane world.

Not about Endless anything. Spent the morning (after much time and trouble) getting the PS4 to work as it's supposed to. i had somehow completely forgotten Rebirth is on there too. And i think the J-PSN has the Japanese translated version, so i could claim playing it as educational. Gods and fish, i think i may need help.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Hey Steam people, just popping in to ask a question about Red Dead Redemption. Can anyone confirm for me that the code is supposedly messed up, and that's why there's no PC or next gen versions? I feel like I read that here at some point. The words, "Actively on fire" may have been used.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hey Steam people, just popping in to ask a question about Red Dead Redemption. Can anyone confirm for me that the code is supposedly messed up, and that's why there's no PC or next gen versions? I feel like I read that here at some point. The words, "Actively on fire" may have been used.

That's generally understood to be at least part of the reason, yes. The code was so slapped together just to get it out on consoles.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

That's generally understood to be at least part of the reason, yes. The code was so slapped together just to get it out on consoles.

Thanks cooljammer00, is there any kind of source for that?

Edit: DavidT on the case
    David_T wrote: »
    Rockstar themselves have said regarding specifically Red Dead on PC "All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms."

The answer on Reddit for why not a PC port of Red Dead all basically boil down to "beneath the surface the game is a technical mess. the conditions it was developed under were horrendous and the version of the engine that resulted from that is a frankenstein-like monstrosity that no sane man would try to do a proper PC port with. they'd basically be better off taking all the assets and making the game again."

I believe the name of the dread lord Cthulhu has been invoked several times when describing the code.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Are you using any mods for widescreen or resolution? I want to get into it, but all I can do was play in a window and it started to drive me crazy.

I'm not using any mods with KOTOR, I put the resolution to the max (like 1024x768 or whatever) and it put the game into full screen and just uses the middle area with the rest being black border. A bit limiting I suppose, but I can live with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I have extras of cards 1, 4, and 11. Will trade all three for #5.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm 614th in the country (USA) for xp?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

I need a 2, 6, and 11. I have extras of 1, 5, 7.

I also have a foil 7 I don't give a shit about.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Ok! I usually do a little giveaway to celebrate Benji's Adoption Day, coming up on the 4th. This is going to be a random mix of games. Open to the G&T group, and ending on the evening of January 4! <3

A lot of friends have this wishlisted:
    signature.png

My Game of the Year 2015, 2014, & 2013:
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Cleaning out my inventory:
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

I need a 2, 6, and 11. I have extras of 1, 5, 7.

I also have a foil 7 I don't give a shit about.

Hit me with a trade offer and 11 is yours for a 5.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    As much as I want an open world cowboy game in pc, that explanation is hilarious.

Quick list of games/mods I've enjoyed for cowboys

GUN: Short but fun, could use a graphical mod
    Lead and Gold: sweet multiplayer action, probably a dead community, but worth it.
    Mount and Blade 1886:
    chasing someone on horseback is.crazy fun
    Defending trains is fun.
    The gangs fighting each other while the nations fight each other puts you in a weird dynamic that does not exist in other mount and blade modules
    That one town........fun.
    Killing injuns' .....fun until they take their settlements back
    Killing mexicans........should not have modeled their army colors after European armies.
    Killing union soldiers.....why are you all wearing blue ina brown ass state?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Thanks very much to @Kendrik for that Walking Dead key. I've been meaning to give it a go for a while.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Last chance update for free cards, as tomorrow will be work, and also trade holds and all that.

We have up for grabs:
    • Holly x2
    • The Black Ice Boys x1
    • Sending a Message x1
    • Taffy x1
    • You Better Not Cry x1
    • Redemption x1

As a reminder, i don't want anything in return. Just send me a PM or trade request and it's yours. First come, first served. If i don't get back to you right away, don't worry. There's only one cable for the 'net, and no WiFi, so i may just be on Disgaea5. i will answer the request before i go out drinking tonight.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I also seem to recall Red Dead Revolver being pretty good, if a very different style of game to Redemption.

Also, that the former game was originally going to be published by Capcom before they dropped it. Rockstar picked it up and ultimately released it (partially fake edit: actually, looking at Wikipedia, the dev studio was bought by Rockstar, and the game rights were picked up after that). I always figured the Capcom connection to be the reason for a title that, although rarely acknowledged to be, falls somewhere between Engrish and word salad...

Jazz on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Since we're listing cards again, I have the following:

1 x Holly
    2 x Twinkle
    3 x You Better Watch out
    1 x Guess Who's Coming to Town
    2 x Redemption

Just friend me and PM a request and I'll hand them out. Nothing in return is necessary.

oh, I also have a Holly and Black Ice Boys Foil available if anyone is trying to get the foil badge crafted.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Man has too much money.

thats so depressing.

I blame monsters.

I'm 100th in the UK.

Eh. It's also claiming there are only 2160 Steam users in the UK, so...

It's probably not far from the truth (you know, relatively speaking). This is serious console territory...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Red Dead Redemption is what GUN really needed to be. And yes, Revolver was lots of fun in a different way than Redemption was.

@chasm Friend request sent.

• Options
    Also, that the former game was originally going to be published by Capcom before they dropped it. Rockstar picked it up and ultimately released it (partially fake edit: actually, looking at Wikipedia, the dev studio was bought by Rockstar, and the game rights were picked up after that). I always figured the Capcom connection to be the reason for a title that, although rarely acknowledged to be, falls somewhere between Engrish and word salad...

The timing is...odd. Having previously worked for Rockstar on the first Midnight Club (and probably also working on the second at the time), Angel Studios, after CAPCOM dropped the title, presented it to Rockstar. By that point, buying the dev and turning them into Rockstar San Diego was likely the next logical step.

Being owned by Rockstar is was essentially transformed Revolver into the GTA-like Redemption. And it was much better for it.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Guess what I decided to buy as my only purchase over a dollar and for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g708PmJAbuI

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Well, Happy new year to all the Steam folks here, now that I'm back in a place with reception (New Zealand's outer wastes may be pretty, but those picturesque views destroy cellphone coverage something fierce).

Anyway, startup my PC to check for any work emails of things burning down and, lo:

PtshB0j.png

@Karoz has struck with unexpected generosity!

...What was going on in chat over New Years?

Thanks, you (presumably) well liquored crazy person!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Guess what I decided to buy as my only purchase over a dollar and for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g708PmJAbuI

I have no idea but having seen this I'm complete now. Perfect combination of "the hell?" and "alright!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I'm not using any mods with KOTOR, I put the resolution to the max (like 1024x768 or whatever) and it put the game into full screen and just uses the middle area with the rest being black border. A bit limiting I suppose, but I can live with it.

It'd be nice for KOTOR 1 to get an official upgrade on Steam like KOTOR 2 did. In fact I'm mildly surprised it hasn't happened yet; given that Aspyr gave KOTOR 2 its overhaul in part due to its SteamOS and OS X releases, but that the same company also similarly overhauled KOTOR 1 for its iOS and Android releases with native widescreen and higher resolutions.

In fact, the divergent paths the two games have taken in the last couple of years seem rather odd. Why isn't KOTOR 1 upgraded on computers, and why isn't KOTOR 2 on mobile/tablets? EDIT: Well, okay, the latter might be because getting the mod in there might be tricky.

It's just weird that KOTOR 1 should look so much better on my phone than it does on my PC.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.