As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Basically, I think you edit the modules and you can edit/add images of cards/tokens/whatever. However, of you add anything, it will be invisible to your opponent if they don't have a matching image

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Basically, I think you edit the modules and you can edit/add images of cards/tokens/whatever. However, of you add anything, it will be invisible to your opponent if they don't have a matching image

I was thinking for the Heroes of the Alturi mission, so that ain't no thang

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I've been playing a game a day with my dad. Can someone explain to me the effectiveness and uses for torpedoes or missiles? So far every one I've fired has done absolutly nothing. I assume they'd be better against ships with less agility than TIE fighters.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

@timspork's ghost Do you have Fire Control Systems?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I do not. I did try using Vander to give a free target lock to a K-Wing, then have the K-Wing fire. Even with focus it did nothing. A lot of that is bad rolling/good defence rolling I guess.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited January 2016
    Oh wait, I meant munitions failsafe (modification). That way you don't discard the weapon unless it hits. That card comes with the Z-95 or TIE-Defender.

Fire Control System (system upgrade) just lets you acquire a target lock on a defender after performing an attack. That comes with B-Wing or TIE-Phantom

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Oh wait, I meant munitions failsafe (modification). That way you don't discard the weapon unless it hits. That card comes with the Z-95 or TIE-Defender.

Fire Control System (system upgrade) just lets you acquire a target lock on a defender after performing an attack. That comes with B-Wing or TIE-Phantom

Huh. That Failsafe looks really good.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Extra munitions helps to some extent, too, but requires a torpedo slot.

Concussion and cluster missiles are probably among the easiest missiles to hit with. Whiffing is pretty common though, so failsafe helps.

crimsoncoyote on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So I've been playing a game a day with my dad. Can someone explain to me the effectiveness and uses for torpedoes or missiles? So far every one I've fired has done absolutly nothing. I assume they'd be better against ships with less agility than TIE fighters.

Make sure you've got a focus token on-hand when you fire them, if you can.

Also, remember that they're secondary weapons, so at range 1 you don't get an extra red die, but importantly your target doesn't get an extra green die at range 3.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    also there's a reason few competitive lists use any munitions aside from a bomb or two

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    munitions are nice when they hit, but are typically overpriced and risky

unless you've built a ship around using them, you'll probably be better off using those points elsewhere - outside of situational uses (cluster missiles are pretty good against low-agility targets, proton rockets can be nice against higher-agility targets, flechette torps can help drag down a ship with only a few green moves, etc.)

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Huh. That Failsafe looks really good.

Errrr...
    I wouldn't run out and buy a ship for that particular card.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Munitions chips will be flatly better in most cases as well and are 0 points. They make proton torpedos a very nice choice actually.

Also the Gozanti is one of FFGs best ships. I love that I can legitimately dock the actual tie fighters to it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    After seeing The Force Awakens, X-Wing is once again calling to me. I've got a Firespray I grabbed a while ago just to have. Don't really need what's in the core set because my brother and friend who play both have it, so I'll just use theirs. Annoyingly, Most Wanted is sold out everywhere, and I can't use a HWK-290 without it.

So I was thinking of making a 100pt list by adding a pair of Kihraxz fighters until Most Wanted re-appears. Would this be a worthwhile starter force?

If not, my other option is blow money on Imperial Assault which is in stock.

-Loki- on
    edited January 2016
    You also need Most Wanted to use the Firespray - scum firesprays have different points and abilities.

Edit: If you're in Sydney Australia, Good Games in Chatswood has 5 Most Wanted packs...

Aegeri on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Dang it. Have to get Most Wanted then.

Chatswood is too far for me, I'm in the south west. Might make the trip into Parramatta to check out Games Cube.

edit Hmmm. Good Games have 20+ Most Wanteds in stock online.

-Loki- on
    Paradise Games also has it. It's not hard to get if you come into the city.

Also yes, I do live in Sydney :p

Mostly looking for a way to order online. Don't really want to go all the way into the city.

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Had avoided this game for a few years, but finally couldn't resist. Dove in with the Core set, a Falcon, and an Interceptor. Now have Slave I, YT-2400, Tie Advanced, Starviper and amazingly found Most Wanted at a Barnes and Noble. Wife and I are on our second game and she seems to struggle with remembering all of the actions and is upset about how awesome Soontir Fel is at rolling hits and evades. I'm trying so hard to keep it light and fun but I have been getting amazing rolls this game and she is getting annoyed. Also, she calls the Scum and Villainy faction "Scoundrels" and a I think I like that better. The Imperial Aces expansion is now calling to me as it looks like it makes the Interceptors into beasts.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've got all my stuff in a plastic grocery bag. I do keep the pieces in a set of ziplock baggies and the cards separated by a series of color-coded rubber bands.
    Naw, double Plano for me! :)

I have the ships I have not opened in a large plastic bag
    I have two plano to keep the ones I have opened
    I have not opened the Yt2400 or the Rebel Transport as well

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Had avoided this game for a few years, but finally couldn't resist. Dove in with the Core set, a Falcon, and an Interceptor. Now have Slave I, YT-2400, Tie Advanced, Starviper and amazingly found Most Wanted at a Barnes and Noble. Wife and I are on our second game and she seems to struggle with remembering all of the actions and is upset about how awesome Soontir Fel is at rolling hits and evades. I'm trying so hard to keep it light and fun but I have been getting amazing rolls this game and she is getting annoyed. Also, she calls the Scum and Villainy faction "Scoundrels" and a I think I like that better. The Imperial Aces expansion is now calling to me as it looks like it makes the Interceptors into beasts.

In general for new players give them fat, turreted ships like Fat Han lists.

Also don't play anything that's mechanics driven frustration. Soontir Fel and Phantom's definitely fall under this list. Anything that lets you say 'ah, and now you could hurt me but [Insert rules explanation here]' is bad and going to cause players not to like the game.

You could do a Scum VS Fat Han list, that'd likely be thematically evocative and doesn't include super fragile/speedy ships for either side.

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular

In general for new players give them fat, turreted ships like Fat Han lists.

Also don't play anything that's mechanics driven frustration. Soontir Fel and Phantom's definitely fall under this list. Anything that lets you say 'ah, and now you could hurt me but [Insert rules explanation here]' is bad and going to cause players not to like the game.

You could do a Scum VS Fat Han list, that'd likely be thematically evocative and doesn't include super fragile/speedy ships for either side.

She's currently playing as Han in the Falcon and Poe/BB8/T-70. She's driving the Falcon like it's a school bus and not staying out of my arcs. She must be doing some hybrid RPG stuff where she's making Han always goes straight at a group of enemy ships.

Fel doesn't even have PTL and I'm not doing anything special with him. He's just made amazing rolls which have had nothing to do with his usual meta. I've kept my ships in pretty tight formation even telling her to breeze past me and avoid my arcs and hit me with the turret, but she is still grasping how to move. Her last turn she flew the Falcon into the middle of my TIEs, touching almost all 3. It was kind of amazing and just too awesome not to let that happen. All I can say is she lost a lot of hull that turn.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well... if the ships are touching they can't fire at each other.

DO3O00C.png
    @RocketSauce

Are these kind of the first games you and your wife are playing? If so, jumping into it with special pilot abilities, names characters, and advanced arc dodgers is kinda ... Maybe too much?

I mean, for the first couple, I wouldn't recommend more than, like, simple X-v-TIEs scenarios.

Then, once you have a handle on the basics, move up to more complicated ships.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'll second Elvenshae and also add that I use a soundboard like this one (click on Sound Effects and then scroll down to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) along with some of the movie and video game soundtracks like this. It doesn't really help teach the game, but it makes it a lot of fun.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I'll second Elvenshae and also add that I use a soundboard like this one (click on Sound Effects and then scroll down to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) along with some of the movie and video game soundtracks like this. It doesn't really help teach the game, but it makes it a lot of fun.

I was hoping to use that in our Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign, but it didn't want to cooperate :(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'm a little frustrated that the Most Wanted expansion is hard to get/expensive in Canada right now.

It's kind of an important one for someone who has been collecting and wants to get a scum force started.

You'd think that'd be something FFG would make very, very available at all times.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    all the sets come and go in waves. With Chinese production you're looking at 8 week lead times, and if demand spikes you can be left with low stock.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    It just seems to me like what is essentially the intro pack to one of your factions should be a priority.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm sure it is a high priority.

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yeah most wanted is a pretty great pack to start your scum collection. If you can afford to be patient, it will combe back in stock.

On FFG website, it shows that the most wanted pack is on the boat so it's currently in transport from China to here so you want have to wait very long now. Seem to be on the same boat as the next wave so possibly within a month or so.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it has been on the boat since October so it should start shipping any day now

edited January 2016
    Turns out my FLGS has a Most Wanted in stock. I got them to hold it for me, I'll grab it tonight. I'll also peruse the other stuff, I wouldn't mind grabbing a Kihraxz fighter, Starviper and a HWK-290 as well, depending on what they have in stock.

-Loki- on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That list of ships will give you some great options. Pretty sure you will have a good time.

DO3O00C.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I just learned what "Fat Han" is and oh my godddddddd

6F32U1X.png
    yeah for a long time it was the scourge of the game but now there are ways to deal with it

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Am I going to buy one of those transports just for the C-3PO card...

6F32U1X.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Am I going to buy one of those transports just for the C-3PO card...

Epic games are pretty cool.

edited January 2016
    Is running only one IG-88 viable?

I will get a second one at some point but for now is it still a good ship to have on its own? It kinda feels like a waste not having that title-sharing skill.

LockedOnTarget on
    Is running only one IG-88 viable?

I will get a second one at some point but for now is it still a good ship to have on its own? It kinda feels like a waste not having that title-sharing skill.

I think it's a pretty solid ship on its own; it really shines when run as a pair, though (the list is usually referred to as "Brobots").