As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-[Steam]-Sale Recovery Thread

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm looking at PC parts to build an XCOM 2 machine and god I just hate this process so much

I just want to walk up to someone and go "hey tell me what I should buy to get a thing that plays this game" and they go "here you go" and hand me a list

6F32U1X.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm looking at PC parts to build an XCOM 2 machine and god I just hate this process so much

I just want to walk up to someone and go "hey tell me what I should buy to get a thing that plays this game" and they go "here you go" and hand me a list

http://www.logicalincrements.com/#!/ made the process pretty painless for me last time I went through it.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

You can absolutely do this in the Computer Build thread. I highly recommend it :)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Or if you want to limit human interaction, read TechReport's recommended system build guides

AtomicTofu on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    the minigun uses rifle specialization. isn't. that. interesting.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh my, are the logical increment prices due to current sales or have things really gotten that much cheaper? (I'm on a laptop so seeing stuff around the $500 level that wipes the floor with my laptop....)

QuantumTurk on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Wolfenstein New Order is good right?

Damn it Steam Sales!

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I beat Ori. Fun game, though some of the segments seemed to rely a bit too much on unfamiliarity as a replacement for difficulty. Dancing all over the screen just completely ignoring enemies once you got all the skills was really fun though, and some of the later dungeons and escape sequences were fucking nuts.
    Fuck the wind temple escape sequence though. The water one was fun because you could always see what was ahead and plan a way to get around it even while you were on a time limit due to the rising water. The wind gliding escape had way too many "surprise, fuck you" segments where the entire ceiling would fall down without any indication of where it was going to hit. The fire escape had a few moments like this as well, but it wasn't as frustrating since you had more tools and the level design felt clearer than in the wind temple.
    Holy shit you weren't kidding about the wind temple. Just finished that sequence, and that was bullshit of the highest order. Waaay too many insta-kills for stuff you had no way to predict. At... at least it was short? Kinda?

Still love the game, but eurgh

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Wolfenstein New Order is good right?

Damn it Steam Sales!

It's amazing. The Old Blood, a shorter standalone prequel, is also really good.

Crippl3 on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    I beat Ori. Fun game, though some of the segments seemed to rely a bit too much on unfamiliarity as a replacement for difficulty. Dancing all over the screen just completely ignoring enemies once you got all the skills was really fun though, and some of the later dungeons and escape sequences were fucking nuts.
    Fuck the wind temple escape sequence though. The water one was fun because you could always see what was ahead and plan a way to get around it even while you were on a time limit due to the rising water. The wind gliding escape had way too many "surprise, fuck you" segments where the entire ceiling would fall down without any indication of where it was going to hit. The fire escape had a few moments like this as well, but it wasn't as frustrating since you had more tools and the level design felt clearer than in the wind temple.
    Holy shit you weren't kidding about the wind temple. Just finished that sequence, and that was bullshit of the highest order. Waaay too many insta-kills for stuff you had no way to predict. At... at least it was short? Kinda?

Still love the game, but eurgh
    Yeah, overall I kind of think the escape sequences are the worst parts of the game? Like, they're visually breathtaking and really cool in concept, but the objectives are so unclear and the difficulty is such a huge leap from the normal gameplay that you just end up dying over and over and having to brute force it. The first time the water comes rushing out and you realize that yes, you really do have to outrun this is amazing. Then you die 5 or 6 times in a row and it's just kind of frustrating.

And maybe the answer is just "git gud" but some times it feels like Ori doesn't have a difficulty curve so much as a difficulty cliff.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, the wind temple escape is the only part of Ori I felt was completely bullshit

IKknkhU.gif
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The last one sucked with how little time you had to figure out what you were suppoused to do

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Finished Ori
    I greatly enjoyed it, although the ending scene felt a little... rushed? Oddly paced, anyhow. Great game, great mechanics, beautiful presentation.

I am a little miffed that I'm unable to go back and explore though... the final sequence in the fire temple auto-saved, and now my save file only says 'Complete' and won't let me back in to an earlier point. I was hoping to go back and find all the little knick knacks and stuff.

Well, really I was hoping the game would let me hop around a restored forest, but I'd at least like to go back and muck about in the forest of the game.

Which leads me to another train of thought... the restoration of previous areas after the water temple was so nice, I wish it'd had something similar for the other temples too. I was a bit disappointed when the other temples didn't have much of an impact on the rest of the forest.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    540 hours of TF2 and tonight was the first time I heard some 10 year old kid talking about how he banged someone's mum over voice chat

I just died from laughter

You hear about this happening all the time, but to see it in real life, I was amazed

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, who can I befriend that plays rocket league at weird Australian hours?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/01/legs-in-games/
    I fully endorse this post. More legs please.

For you other Ori people who shared my gripe about the ending save file business:
    Found a pretty simple save file editor which will unlock your completed game by transporting you to a different area. Just tried it, and it works! I look forward to hopping all over the map and finding the secrets I missed. :D

Ori and the Blind Forest Debug/ Save File Editor

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

But how can I pretend I'm a sweet robot spider if I look down and see piddly meatsac legs?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Fuck yes! This is the one thing I sorely miss from L4D1, and the only issue where the sequel didn't just roll over the prequel. It's so cool seeing your legs just barely landing on the edge of a difficult jump and really lends immersion in seeing that you're just not a floating camera in the game world. You've got a physical presence, you're obviously standing there as can be seen when looking down.

Panda4You on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    For you other Ori people who shared my gripe about the ending save file business:
    Found a pretty simple save file editor which will unlock your completed game by transporting you to a different area. Just tried it, and it works! I look forward to hopping all over the map and finding the secrets I missed. :D

Just a heads up, if you missed something in the Mysterious Forest (or whatever the foggy, non-linear place is called) that stuff goes away after you finish that area, preventing you from 100%ing the game, even with an assist tool.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

Just a heads up, if you missed something in the Mysterious Forest (or whatever the foggy, non-linear place is called) that stuff goes away after you finish that area, preventing you from 100%ing the game, even with an assist tool.

That's a bummer, but I'll be happy being able to explore the rest of the forest with all my power-ups intact. Thanks for the heads up though!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I bought probably all the stuff I wanted this season on Steam

Basically Xenonauts which I was curious about
    Darkest Dungeon because it looks fun
    And a bunch of rocksmith dlc

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Do we still do a final tally or is that now frowned upon?

e: I just saw that ARK lets you not only befriend dinosaurs and build shit, but also PAINT. Why was I not informed of this

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Puzzle Agent is really fun, folks. I absolutely recommend it. It's maybe 4 hours long (I played it in its entirety today) but at the current price it's well worth it!

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    Sleeping Dogs - pretty fucking rad

but after playing the Nightmare in Northpoint DLC, I almost wish that was the actual main game

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Red Dead Redemption and Sleeping Dogs are two weird games with undeservedly compelling spooky DLC and I love them both very much for it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wish Red Dead Redemption would come to PC.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah it's still very strange to me that it hasn't

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Merely repeating what I've heard elsewhere on this board, but I've heard the code described as, "Actively on fire." Just a space-shuttle woven together with duct tape and bungee cords.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

edited January 2016
    Finished Episode 2 of Life is Strange. I really, really, like this game. And oh man, the presentation is gorgeous - the ending montages alone...it's "shot" so well, if that makes any sense (and ties in with the whole photography angle so neatly).
    If this episode is any indicator though, the game will probably turn me into an emotional wreck. OH WELL

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Merely repeating what I've heard elsewhere on this board, but I've heard the code described as, "Actively on fire." Just a space-shuttle woven together with duct tape and bungee cords.

wh...what

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

wh...what

Apparently the code is so screwy, and cobbled together that it can't even be transferred to the new consoles. Can't find a real source right now, just going off something I've heard a couple times in steam threads from days of yore. Not sure why that would be, just a humble mullet, not a computer scientist.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Rockstar themselves have said regarding specifically Red Dead on PC "All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms."

The answer on Reddit for why not a PC port of Red Dead all basically boil down to "beneath the surface the game is a technical mess. the conditions it was developed under were horrendous and the version of the engine that resulted from that is a frankenstein-like monstrosity that no sane man would try to do a proper PC port with. they'd basically be better off taking all the assets and making the game again."

I believe the name of the dread lord Cthulhu has been invoked several times when describing the code.

euj90n71sojo.png
    That's a real bummer, I would have liked to play that game.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Now that I have a working 360 again, I should get my copy back from my buddy.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Man I am not having much luck with sale cards.

Looking for #2, #6, #8(2), #9(2)

Have #1(3), #3(2), #4, #5, #7, and #10 for trade.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    If be surprised if red dead didn't get an hd remake some day. I hope they either reuse the vo or manage to get marston out of retirement. He was fantastic.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Sellin all my cards and badges and tf2 and dota 2 junk to hopefully make enough to get rocket league before the sale ends.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Seeing Ranlin's post, I've got #1 if anyone wants it. I don't need no stinkin' badges.

This discussion has been closed.