As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why does Windows think I have a 1440p display?

I've now installed my HTPC and it's working okay, although there are still some niggling bugs. One of them is this: Windows seems to think that the display I've got is 1440p, when it's actually a regular Full HD TV. The computer is hooked up to a Sony receiver (STR-DH800) via HDMI, and that receiver is connected to the TV, again via HDMI.

Anyone know why Windows is confused as to the TV's resolution? And is there any way I can convince the system that, no, there's no point in upping the resolution?

P.S.: It actually seems to be more than just Windows; when the computer boots, the TV doesn't display all of the ASUS boot screen, as if the system thought the TV was bigger than it actually is.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've now installed my HTPC and it's working okay, although there are still some niggling bugs. One of them is this: Windows seems to think that the display I've got is 1440p, when it's actually a regular Full HD TV. The computer is hooked up to a Sony receiver (STR-DH800) via HDMI, and that receiver is connected to the TV, again via HDMI.

Anyone know why Windows is confused as to the TV's resolution? And is there any way I can convince the system that, no, there's no point in upping the resolution?

P.S.: It actually seems to be more than just Windows; when the computer boots, the TV doesn't display all of the ASUS boot screen, as if the system thought the TV was bigger than it actually is.

The bolded part happens with every single computer running Windows 8 or 10 that I have hooked up to a regular ol' 1080p TV. Surface Pro 2: image is extended off the screen; main desktop (with Win10 and GeForce 980): extended image; main laptop (Win10 and 980M): extended image. In all cases, the computer in question has been connected straight into the TV via HDMI (no intermediary receivers). So I would be very interested in seeing if anybody here knows off-hand what's going on.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    The gpu relies on your tv to tell it what the resolution is. Your str-dh800 has automatic upscaling, as do most newer hd tvs. If I was to guess your tv is trying to upscale your 1080p signal from your pc. Try disabling that in your tv settings.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    To be clear, OP, you're only using one monitor, right? A lot of Nvidia cards have a bad habit of deciding that, between an HDTV and a monitor, the HDTV must be where the BIOS is supposed to be sent, even if it's not the primary display (or it'll decide that the HDTV is the primary display, and you must be using it as such).

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yup, just one monitor, a 1920x1080 TV. Since pretty much every signal that goes through the Sony receiver is 1080p but the HTPC is the only one where I get this issue, I'm a bit confused. Bendery, why/how would my TV try to upscale to a signal larger than 1080p if it cannot handle such a signal? I'll check if it's got such a function, though. (The AV components are ~5 years old, I'd estimate.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I'm just taking a swing based on the information I have. But your tv isn't showing the screen at 1440p, your pc just thinks it is. Gpus aren't really designed with upscaling tvs in mind.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    My guess is your PC is confused because of whatever information it is getting from the receiver.

As to how to fix it, force 1080p either in the bios or in windows.

steam_sig.png
    Cool, will try that out. I didn't know there's anything in the BIOS on resolution, but then I've never had any problems with it previously.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Also, what happens if your PC is just plugged straight into the TV?

steam_sig.png
    Haven't tried it yet, but I will. Anyway, it seems that Windows at least has stopped bothering me with notifications about how I could change to a higher resolution; perhaps it's got something to do with whether the receiver and TV are on before I switch on the HTPC or not.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg