As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Could I Get Some Tips on Pin Collecting?

RangerLabRangerLab Registered User regular
Hey, so I've been looking into pin collecting, and found Pinny Arcade, thought it might be interesting. My only problem is that I have no clue where to start ;-;
I am going to PAX East this year, and saw that there's trading events and such. My best guess is that I'd need a lanyard and buy some starter pins or something, but I wouldn't know where to go from there. Anything you guys could help me with would be great. Thanks :D

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    SPEND MONEY GET BITCHES PINS

The simplest thing to do is buy a core set at your PAX of choice, so this year's East. There'll be a show-specific core set as well as a generic Penny Arcade core set, so that's 8 pins you've immediately started with. Congratulations!

From there, follow the Pin Quest that'll be posted on the PA website closer to East. There should be a list of pins that are available at that particular PAX, with their locations, and occasionally their prices. If not, you can find out the prices (or if the pins are 'time sinks', which means they're free but often take quite a while to get because everyone wants the free pin). If you don't want to buy anything, that's cool, go around and pick up some free pins. Now you have more pins, hooray!

Then you can get into trading. There'll be an Official Pinny Arcade Trading Session at East where you can trade with PA staff members, who will take any Pinny Arcade pin for anything on their table. That's where you can make some good finds, stuff from earlier PAXes or neat pins that others have traded away.

Example! The Magic the Gathering pins are generally time sink pins at every PAX. If you like Magic, but you don't want to spend time playing the game and getting a silly photo taken, you can wander through the Trading Session a couple of times and keep an eye on the tables. Someone may have gone through the process of getting the Magic pin and saw something they wanted even more, or convinced their friend to go through the torture of playing Magic really definitely enjoy playing Magic with them, so they got a spare pin. Then, you can trade a pin for that Magic pin. Awesome!

Now that you've got a little collection of East pins, you can sign up at Pinny Pals and display your collection for other people to be jealous of. And you can start making trades online. Say you want a pin from an Aus PAX, because it's a little too far away for you to get to this year. You could come to me with one of your East pins this year and say "hello @misskass, would you like to partake of my East pin for your Aus pin?", and I could say "YES ABSOLUTELY GIVE ME THE FOREIGN PINS". Then you'll have cool pins from a different country (or a different state), which is one of my favourite parts of collecting.

It's a process and a bit difficult to get your head around. The best way to get into it (if you can afford it) is just to buy a few of the sets from the PA store (like the Halloween and Christmas sets, or the New Years single pin THEN TRADE THE NEW YEARS ONE TO ME BECAUSE SHIPPING IS EXPENSIVE EVEN FOR ONE PIN HA HA HA HA) and take them along with you to the con. Then get the con-specific ones and get trading with people.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Firstly, Welcome! Hope you find this hobby as fun and interesting as we all do. You've already made the first step by posting here so that's great! As @agentcooper said, head over to that resource thread, I've put together pretty much everything we do in the community that will surely help you out. Feel free to ask anyone with questions you might have.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hi RangerLab,

Welcome to pin collecting!!

I went through this at pax in Australia in November.

Join PinnyPals
    https://www.pinnypals.com/home

Before Pax East - buy some sets and pins from Pinny Arcade store. Hint: Buy 2 2016 New Year pins and trade one for other LE. Buy multiple christmas and enfu sets and trade. Buy 1 core set for a lanyard.

AT PAX EAST: If you have the money buy multiples of each set availble at Pax East plus the LE pin for Pax East. You can buy 2 LE's each day. If you get at least 4 Pax East sets and 4 LEs you can trade 3 away for each of the other Paxe's con sets/LEs. You also want 'fodder' for the staff trading event/staff trading and general trading. I would suggest grabbing as many sets as you can afford (there will be at least 1 non event set for sale). You can also buy pins as per the pin quest etc.

Ultimately it comes down to how you want to collect: Just certain pins / Paxes or everything. Above all have fun with it.

• Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    As you're attending one of the large PAXs.

Your best bet is going to be to load up on as many free pins as you possible can :) and that'll give you a good foundation for trading.

Other than that, an investment in to the LE pin at the PAX and the core PAX sets is never going to go astray.

Personally I'd say avoid the Core 2.0 set, you get 1 for your collection if you want but otherwise, the PAX core set is always going to be a better use of your money.

The most important thing is patience, everything readily available now, won't be in the future and there's always new collectors (like yourself) who are going to want older pins :)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    yeah Pax Set definately better than Core as is stocking on up on free pins if you can.

• Options
    skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    As somebody who just started at last year's Prime, agree with everybody else's advice. One addition: watch these forums and the various PA channels (Twitter and the email newsletter, the Gazelle) for when Double Secret Boxes go on sale.

They sell out fast but they're $14 for two pins which makes them a better value than the generic core sets (which work out to $7.50 for each pin). You get two random-ish pins so while a lot may not be that interesting, you can get some nice rares if you're lucky. This can help fill out your collection and provide you with great stuff for trading.

If you're like me and have a HUGE set of pins you'd like, they can be great -- while the veterans are complaining about their ten thousandth Lookout pin, I'm still trying to complete that set so I'm happy to get them.

We just had 400 go on sale last week so it may be a little while until the next batch, but if you keep your eyes peeled they'll come back around.

• Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I really appreciate this. This makes me even more excited for PAX. I just have a few more questions. Do the staff have to trade? Like, theoretically, if they have a 2012 pin and you try trading for one of the Core 2.0 pins, would they have to accept it or do they actually make fair trades. Also, I know there's third party pins (like the TF2 set). Are they really worth getting to trade?

Thanks again, I'm so excited to start collecting and trading!

• Options
    Staff dont get to choose, you absolutely can trade a core pin for a rarer one. They will trade 2 per person per day.

• Options
    evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yup! Staff trades are always 1-to-1 no matter what. The official Pinny Arcade trading rules are here:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/pinny-arcade/rules

Also @misskass and the other knocked it out of the park, get yourself a tidy little bunch at East to start out and then trade from there! That's exactly how I got started at East 2014, so you picked a good place to get going.

And as always, feel free to keep asking questions! This community is filled with some of the kindest and most helpful people I know so it's a pretty rad resource. And if you find yourself wanting to get more involved in the community the forum is a great place to start chatting everyone up, plus we have two chat apps (mentioned in the Resource Thread) where we gather up and shoot the shit 24/7.

Welcome to the Pinny Pals!

• Options
    Oh, so one thing I've heard is that on the last day of PAX, the stalls still have tons of loot, and its cheaper to give it away than to haul it away and store it. Any such luck with pins? Not that I'm expecting to get free pins that cost money, or multiple free pins, busy curious.

• Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sadly not the case with any PAX Ive attended - but pins are relarively small. Last day is usually good for discounts on board games though!

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    RangerLab wrote: »
    Oh, so one thing I've heard is that on the last day of PAX, the stalls still have tons of loot, and its cheaper to give it away than to haul it away and store it. Any such luck with pins? Not that I'm expecting to get free pins that cost money, or multiple free pins, busy curious.

There are generally 2 pin scenarios:
    1) Pins are completely gone well before the closing of the convention center on the last day.
    2) Pins are not completely gone, and will be available for purchase online at a later date.

As far as other "loot", it runs the gamut. Some booths will hand you stuff if you ask nicely, some will tell you to piss off, and your average booth will have an "end of the day raffle" for stuff (posters, graphics cards, chairs, figures, etc.).

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    @RangerLab some important questions:
    What is your Pin Budget for the year?
    Are you going to collect just the pins you like, or every single Penny Arcade pin ever made?

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Hingo wrote: »
    @RangerLab some important questions:
    What is your Pin Budget for the year?
    Are you going to collect just the pins you like, or every single Penny Arcade pin ever made?

I'd generally like to collect pins I like, at least for now. I don't quite have a set budget yet, though I don't want to go overboard. I was planning on bringing ~$100 for merch and maybe $25 - $50 for pins (I would rather just go with the free ones but I'm sure I'll find some I want), but I'm not quite sure if it's enough.
    Senno wrote: »
    Sadly not the case with any PAX Ive attended - but pins are relarively small. Last day is usually good for discounts on board games though!

Ah, alright. Sounds good, I'm an aspiring game designer, so I've been wanting to find some board games I can learn from.

Not sure why I answered those out of order, lol.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    $25-50 in pins may not be enough depending on what pins you are going for. Sets usually go for $30 and individuals can go for $10-$15 in my experience, depending on the company they are with. Free pins are so great for collectors to trade with but they are becoming rarer these days and the lines can get long! Your investment money wise will depend on how easy you want to make it for yourself or if you are willing to invest a little time into the free pins.

• Options
    Alright. How much are the PAX core sets, usually? Along with the money for that I might bring the $35-ish dollars for another set that I find.

• Options
    aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    PAX Core sets are $30 for a set of 4. The Limited Edition pin will be $15 each.

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Getting up early and spending $30 on 2 Limited Edition pins from merch would definitely be a good strategy.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    thx42 wrote: »
    Getting up early and spending $30 on 2 Limited Edition pins from merch would definitely be a good strategy.

Doubly so because you are guaranteed to be in a line with lots of people into trading pins.

• Options
    Capt WasabiCapt Wasabi AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My advice would be RUN AWAY! Do not enter this cursed realm. Everyone around here may seem nice, but they have a terrible secret. They have all been infected by the brain squirrels. Leave now while you still can!

In all seriousness welcome, its an awesome hobby.

• Options
    Thank you, everyone, I'm super excited to get started! Hopefully I'll see some of you at PAX. Thanks again!

• Options
    NikadermisNikadermis Registered User new member
    I am new to Pax pins. But I'm rapidly falling in love with all things Pax. How many people collect Pax pins? I'm wondering if I should convince my company to produce one as a partner.

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Nikadermis wrote: »
    I am new to Pax pins. But I'm rapidly falling in love with all things Pax. How many people collect Pax pins? I'm wondering if I should convince my company to produce one as a partner.

It's hard to say how many people collect pins, but companies typically produce anywhere from 1000 to 5000 pins for a given PAX, depending on the size of the company/popularity of the game. Pins are a great way to attract people to your booth.

• Options
    zimzeezimzee Yonkers, NYRegistered User regular
    Im new as well but been goig to EAST since 2014 and went to the first unplugged. Will be at east for next year as well. Hope to meet fellow new pinners there.

2vikpdov4y8b.png
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The pinned (pun!) threads on this forum are excellent. I have to plug the facebook page www.facebook.com/pinnypals. The slack chat is where we have mostly migrated, link in pinned thread.