As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

new sourcebook! d20 Public Speaking: The Speakers Trials

TroyTroy Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Critical Failures
I am currently in a public speaking class. I have a final speech due on tuesday the 30th.

I plan on doing an infomative speech on Pen & Paper Roleplaying games.

I was wondering if I could get your help.

I was planning on doing a little mini demonstration on dice use by playing a little mini scenario just to show the possibilities. I figure handing out d20's and doing a "You're late for work, and you have to sneak by the boss". Is this too corny? Could this go bad?

Also are there any publications that you know of that would have a detailed history of gaming (preferably scholarly works)?

Any good ideas that would make good hooks? Any other suggestions? Should I just abandon this topic and do something easier like abortion?

Troy on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hate to be a party pooper, but I've seen speeches like this tried before, and I've never seen them pulled off in anything but an incredibly awkward, uncomfortable fashion (I did a lot of public speaking in high school). I highly recommend doing a different topic.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't talk too much about dice mechanics.

Talk about a variety game genres.

Maybe don't start off with talking about D&D.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the "shy away from dice mechanics".

I think that saved the speech.

So I ended up using a powerpoint with branching options. I drew stick figure warriors and had a bridge with a troll gaurding it. The class had to get across the bridge, depending on how they rolled, it changed the outcome.

It was a bunch of middle aged proffesionals who got all excited that they convinced the troll that they went to high school together.

The speech killed.

First A on a speech in my life.

Troy on
  • Options
    NearNear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Most impressive.

Near on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I save vs. STFU.