As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Thanks for the notice, I'll try to get one on Friday.

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Update from Yacht club games:
    http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/06/the-return-of-specter-knight-and-a-revitalizing-announcement/

Tldr, work is ongoing on two new free campaigns. Spectre knight is first in line. No ETA on release date.

Also, physical vita release!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love that they're still getting all the kickstarter stretch goals done and released for free. When they're done the $$$ for content ratio will be through the fucking roof.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So Yacht Club put out a survey as to what their next game should be. Sadly "put them all in my veins right now" is NOT an option.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1V6wPLSqNj88zuz0-Ms6RAtiBXXVoIlNnK-IjYcIeHGU/viewform?c=0&w=1

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much they would seriously consider making a Final Fantasy/Super Mario RPG if those got the majority of the votes? Shovel Kart could be fun, and I fucking loved Solstice/Equinox.

Personally, a Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario RPG or Solstice/Equinox would be my top choices that I feel they could deliver a quality game on.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Don't think I'd vote for a Mega Man. That game already influenced Shovel Knight, and I don't think they need to go further on the homage scale.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The world can always use more Spelunky type games.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The world can always use more VVVVVV games. :D

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Why is Super Shovel Knight not an option?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Why is Super Shovel Knight not an option?

With gratuitous Mode 7 effects!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'd like to see a combination of the first two ideas. Shovel Knight 2 featuring a playable Shield Knight and (optional!) multi-player gameplay.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Good call @King Riptor.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Breaking news! Shovel Knight can be unlocked as an optional boss battle in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 with the Shovel Knight Amiibo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DlaJNeusc

Hexmage-PA on
    Specter of Torment trailer. ETA is Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwP0P5j05g

Holy shit.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I can only imagine the swag of King Knight's campaign!

King of Bling

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I have a terrible confession to make.

I utterly adore Shovel Knight's world, design, and aesthetic.

But I cut my teeth on the 2-D Rayman platformers and not the Megamans, so I cannot play these wonderful games for shit.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Everyone's a bit shit at Shovel Knight. I tend to assume anyone able to actually beat the Plague Knight DLC is some kind of wizard.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    A science wizard, perhaps.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TUnvXrpG3n0

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Everyone's a bit shit at Shovel Knight. I tend to assume anyone able to actually beat the Plague Knight DLC is some kind of wizard.

I am pretty shit at Shovel Knight, but Plague Knight I felt was much easier once I got into it and managed to plow through it pretty fast. It became a bit of an exercise in determining which of his various widgets I had to adjust to succeed. Science!

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Real talk, though, that trailer is amazing. I am truly floored by how many things they have added and changed for Specter of Torment. Changed bosses! New areas! Playable flashbacks! Wandering Warriors as part of the story! New boss?!?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Damn near looks like a whole new game!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Yeah, it took me a stage or two to get used to Plague Knight, but then I found it much easier than Shovel Knight. Once I got in the rhythm of jump, throw+charge, doublejump, release charge, throw, all I had to do was figure out how to not fling myself down pits, and there's an item that pretty much negates the danger of that. As Shovel Knight I was always getting killed because I had to get in close to do damage, with Plague Knight I found myself accidentally dealing tons of damage while flying around the room at a safe distance from whatever was chasing me.

edited January 2017
    So I go to play Specter of Torment at PAX, and I wanted to share a glimpse of how it plays (I only played the intro stage, the other option was Polar Knight's stage). Spoilered if you want to go in blind.
    1. Specter Knight traverses chasms by attacking midair objects much like Shovel Knight. However, unlike Shovel Knight who hops on them ala Scrooge McDuck, Specter Knight will home in on a nearby item and either attack diagonally upward of downward, depending on his vertical position relative to the object (a firey line shows you how he will attack). Timing of the attack will be very critical, but generally has a less steep learning curve than the plague jump (the guy watching over me actually apologized for a part of the intro stage I had trouble with as plague knight). Overheard it described as akin to Sonic's homing attack, but actually works.

2. Specter knight can climb certain walls (in the intro sage, it was dirt walls, while grassy ones were unclimbable). He can only climb up about two tiles before dropping again, but he can wall jump while climbing.

3. Specter knight destroys breakable platforms by jumping, rather than attacking. This is likely going to make certain segments of the game VERY tricky.

4. Black Knight has a turtle friend called Terrorpin, but everyone who plays it has told Yacht Club that it looks like a rhino, so I suggest calling it such.

5. While I didn't play Polar Kngiht's stage, it seemed to incorporate a rail-grinding mechanic from what I saw.

Zython on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Hasn't that one been out? Might be wrong. I'm still playing the main game, so haven't jumped into it yet.

Steam: offday
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Hasn't that one been out? Might be wrong. I'm still playing the main game, so haven't jumped into it yet.

I think they meant Specter of Torment, because yeah, Plague of Shadows has been out for awhile

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

I think they meant Specter of Torment, because yeah, Plague of Shadows has been out for awhile

Yeah, my bad. I'll edit it to remove confusion. :X

I finally got around to Plague of Shadows, just finished it last night. Holy shit, that is an incredible amount of content for free DLC. And Plague's campaign is charming as fuck! I don't know who is writing these scenarios and dialog, but I hope they stick around Yacht Club.

Anyways, the campaign took me 8 hours and 7 minutes, and I died 84 times. I feel like I died more than that. I don't believe any enemy managed to kill me, it was 100% pits and spikes... unless you count enemies knocking me into said pits and spikes. That is some hard ass platforming. Though even with the crazy way Plague gets around due to his bomb-bursting move set, I never got pissed off at the game. The deaths felt fair, and it was on me to do better. Three bosses managed to take me out though; Specter Knight, Propeller Knight, and the final boss. My biggest problem was constantly forgetting to use bombs I can lob up into the air to damage these guys. Instead I bomb jumped up to damn near the top of the screen and hurled bombs downward... not realizing how much easier it would have been to use different bombs until afterwards. Feel like a dope!

Can't wait for Specter of Darkness!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Shovel Knight sells 2 million copies!
    Two Million Copies of Shovel Knight Sold!!
    By: Yacht Club Games on April 11, 2018

We all did it! We’ve now sold 2 million copies of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. Whoah! We’re starting to think people might be enjoying this thing…. nuts! Just 18 months after its original debut, Shovel Knight surpassed one million copies sold total. Since then, the road to 2 million has been arduous but at the very end of February, an extensive 26 months later, we reached a colossal milestone! Thank you everyone for your unbelievable support! It is so inspiring that people still pick up, play, and fall in love with Shovel Knight for the first time every day.

A lot has happened in those 26 months! We released the Shovel Knight amiibo, our newest campaign Specter of Torment, launched on Switch, brought Battletoads to PC, made co-op playable on all platforms, created an art book, wrote 4 Shovel Knight books, published Gunvolt, Body-swapped Shovel Knight’s campaign, released Vita physical, localized the game to Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, and Russian, and perhaps craziest of all… since the game was so big, we changed the name of the game to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, increased the price, and split the games into separate standalone releases.

YCG provides a wonderful breakdown of sales and impact. Also Treasure Trove is 20% for a week to celebrate! King of Cards (the final free DLC) should be rolling out soon enough as well.

Very nice!

I'm very happy for all the success Shovel Knight has enjoyed. Very interested to see where Yacht Club goes once King of Cards is live.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    After reading what the dev team went through (not the least of which was continuing to finish the new campaigns they promised on Kickstarter for no extra money), I'm glad the price increase worked out for them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I got to chat with a shovel knight concept artist at PAX this year and it was one of my top moments! Player the king DLC for a bit and I also got sweet yacht club merch including a spectre of torment shirt!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    After reading what the dev team went through (not the least of which was continuing to finish the new campaigns they promised on Kickstarter for no extra money), I'm glad the price increase worked out for them.

Almost any other dev team and any other game, such a statement and action would be near career suicide.

Truly a testament as to what you can do when you build up enough goodwill, and also treat your base with respect.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I would've gladly given them more money for all the DLC that's come out for the game so far.

It's like 4 entire games at this point.

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I'm awful at Shovel Knight, haven't actually finished it, but the parts I played are so great, and the game has had so much love and sweat poured into it by now that still I feel like I cheated them when I bought it for 15$ years ago.

At this rate I'm going to grab the Switch version just to assuage my guilt.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I'm awful at Shovel Knight, haven't actually finished it, but the parts I played are so great, and the game has had so much love and sweat poured into it by now that still I feel like I cheated them when I bought it for 15$ years ago.

I haven't beaten the game either.

But sometimes I pull out my copy of Shovel Knight, not to play the game, but just to read the manual.
    Cause, damn, if that thing doesn't take me back to the NES/SNES days of game manuals.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »

I need to go back to it to finish the smash-all-checkpoints challenge I was doing. I made it to Propeller Knight's stage and I think I blacked out from the rage I went through.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah Propeller Knight's stage is the worst for that, with the stranded ship being second I think. I stalled out there for about a week trying to do Naked Plague, Checkpointless, Hurry Up, and Teetotaler together. Why settle for one achievement per run when you can get four. Answer: because combining them makes the whole thing take 8x as long as running them separately.

Still the game is so much fun to play it makes it possible to power through the rage of dying from falling in Propeller Knight's holes.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

...I need to play Plague of Shadows again. Plague Knight's movement is just so much fun.

I also have to try a hard mode New Game + Spectre Knight run.

...and maybe I should get the Switch or 3DS version of the game.

I like Shovel Knight quite a bit.