As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Firefox Thread

• MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FFmin.png

Current set up. I wanted to have minimum pixels for bars and more room for the page itself. Does anyone know how to kill the bottom bar? I've installed Fission and Tiny menu to get rid of the need for bottom (progress) and top (menu) bars that come up as default. The Theme is azureFox.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why would you remove the search bar? Instant wiki access is so awesome.

sonictk on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just added a new search bar (based on what someone listed above) and I'm wondering if I can get rid of the built in one... seems like it should be simple but I can't get it to go away. boooo.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I just added a new search bar (based on what someone listed above) and I'm wondering if I can get rid of the built in one... seems like it should be simple but I can't get it to go away. boooo.

You must master XUL-fu to tame the interface.

MKR on
  • Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Curses! This thread is not about what I thought it was about.

firefox.jpg

"You must think in Russian."

Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • postenlpostenl Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For anyone who uses adblock and hates the annoying blank spaces where the ads used to be on the PA comic and news pages there are some greasemonkey scripts to get rid of those here (top ad) and here (side ad)

postenl on
    Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »

I find the search shortcuts to be more useful. Creating a search shortcut for the wikipedia I only have to open a new tab and type wiki "search item". I do the same for google (goo), wowhead (wh), wowwiki (ww) and pretty much any website I frequent that has a search engine in the site. Found it to be more useful to have these shortcuts than a bar that takes up prime real estate on my UI and requires me to do extra actions to change the search type.

If people are unfamiliar with how to use these, here is a tutorial on how to create them, it is very simple and one of the most useful tools I've found with Firefox.

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
    edited October 2007
    Uhh, even better, Ctrl-K and Alt+arrow keys to select search engine. Unless you have like 50+ engines installed or something I would think such a selection would be faster.

sonictk on
    edited October 2007
    Uhh, even better, Ctrl-K and Alt+arrow keys to select search engine. Unless you have like 50+ engines installed or something I would think such a selection would be faster.

I didn't really mean to start a discussion about this in particular but my argument would be that it's simpler to me at least to have a few letters memorized than arrow through a list. Say I wanted to search wowhead but the current search engine was set to google I only type wh instead of taking the time to go through the list. Just my preference though.

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Curses! This thread is not about what I thought it was about.

"MiG-31"

"You must think in Russian."

I gotta rent that movie and watch it again sometime.

Zxerol on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can tebs be shown on the left? Like Opera?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    :oops: ....I'm using plain Firefox at home... What extensions should I get for youtube downloading and for better tabbage?

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I run the following:

Whitehart
    Gmail Notifier
    Image Zoom (I really enjoy this one...)
    NoScript

That's pretty much it. I removed the bookmark bar because I don't use more than 2 bookmarks.

Dehumanized on
  • Dr_ColossusDr_Colossus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Does IE tab add that cool little tab that you press to open up a new full tab? That by itself is the reason I'm preferring vanilla IE over vanilla Firefox.

ctrl-T man, ctrl-T
    You can also double click empty space on the tab bar.

Dr_Colossus on
    sword.gifblack.gifcliff.gifblah3.gif
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone have any idea why my vent push to talk hotkey (left alt) doesn't work in firefox anymore?

And on a tangentially related, but mostly Vista related note, what have I fucked up thats making me run firefox as administrator?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I found a theme I like finally, Blue Ice. Anyone looking for a new one should check it out.

bruin on
    edited October 2007
    Fodder wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea why my vent push to talk hotkey (left alt) doesn't work in firefox anymore?

And on a tangentially related, but mostly Vista related note, what have I fucked up thats making me run firefox as administrator?

Look carefully at what happens when you press alt in FF or any other application in windowed mode with the File menu.

sonictk on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FogDog wrote: »
    Quick question, is there a way for multiple tabs to be opened when is start firefox, for example penny-arcade, spoofee and woot to all start up in different tabs?

Basic firefox does this.

Dhalphir on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    The bookmarks item I have is actually the bookmarks toolbar. When you add a new folder for bookmarks, it creates a folder icon, and then the folder name next to it. I just renamed the folder to nothing and was left with only the icon. I actually replaced the folder icon in my theme with the bookmarks icon in order to get the bookmarks logo there, so you can't do that without a little jiggery-pokery.

I think that's all that's necessary. Hit me up if there's anything else I'm missing.

Right... I put all my bookmarks in a new nameless folder in the bookmark toolbar folder. All well and good so far, I have a nice dropdown icon that gives me my bookmarks.

Trouble is, whenever I put it on the menu bar, it shoves everything to the right of it off the screen, with the space marked as Bookmark Toolbar Items. Seems like it's dragging the whole Bookmark Toolbar instead of just the one folder. I'm messing around with it while the orange box installs, it has until Portal installs to stop annoying me =P

(Thanks for the help btw!)

Edit: Fixored! I put a flexible space in next to it, and it seems to have solved my problem =) Now to figure out how to change the icon!

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

:wi <search term>
    :g <search term>

I'm going to be whoring out VIMPERATOR for the remainder of the thread. Start loving it, baby.

varland on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Muriden wrote: »
    Current set up. I wanted to have minimum pixels for bars and more room for the page itself. Does anyone know how to kill the bottom bar? I've installed Fission and Tiny menu to get rid of the need for bottom (progress) and top (menu) bars that come up as default. The Theme is azureFox.
    You should be able to remove the status bar right from the View menu.

For those asking for visual "tweaks" there are a lot over at www.userstyles.org. If you install Stylish you can click install on any of them and then preview/accept/reject/manage the new styles all in a nice little box.

DigDug2000 on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Insanity wrote: »
    Edit: Fixored! I put a flexible space in next to it, and it seems to have solved my problem =) Now to figure out how to change the icon!

Ok, that was the tricky part.

You need to find the .jar file for your theme. If you're using the standard Firefox theme, it's under \chrome\classic.jar (In your main Firefox folder, where the program was installed).

If you're using a different theme, you need to look at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Yournamehere\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Somerandomnumber\extensions

It gives each installed extension a different random assigned number, so you have to go into each folder here and check to see if it's your installed theme. It should be easy to spot (More than likely your theme will have a preview.png file in the folder it's installed to).

Once you've found the .jar file for the theme you're using, you need to open it in WinRAR or whatever you choose and replace the folder icon inside with the bookmarks icon. Stupidly, I can't remember what the files are called/which ones I replaced, so it's a case of extracting the contents, going to the icons folder, and rooting through to find the two icons you need to get jiggy with.

EDIT: A quick question for everyone. I removed the status bar at one point, then realised that I used it in order to see where a link pointed, and that is something I don't want to do without. Is there anyway to get a functionality where I can mouse over a link and have it's location appear somewhere other than the status bar? I'd like it disable it permanently.

Centipeed on
  • RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a way to sort the pop-up window when you rightclick a tab? Just upgraded to ff 2 and I'm constantly locking tabs instead of closing them, which is driving me crazy.

Rhaka on
    edited October 2007
    Rhaka wrote: »
    Is there a way to sort the pop-up window when you rightclick a tab? Just upgraded to ff 2 and I'm constantly locking tabs instead of closing them, which is driving me crazy.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/710 should help you do what you want to.

Centipeed on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone know of a semi-decent KDE style theme for Firefox. I mostly use Konqueror for browsing but Web developer is a a great extension I like to use.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/710 should help you do what you want to.

Or you can just middle click the tab to close it =)

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love firefox as well.

Edit: Insanity your sig is awesome!

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Insanity wrote: »

Or you can just middle click the tab to close it =)

Sweet! I never knew that.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a way (without a plugin) that can force windows to open in the same window/tab?

There used to be a (very obvious) option in Firefox, but it has since vanished.

Magus` on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My current Firefox setup (spoilered for my 1400 x 900 resolution):
    myfirefox.jpg

Extensions:
    Adblock Plus -- Pretty obvious as to what this does.

Tab Mix Plus -- A whole bunch of tab features.

Download Statusbar -- Again, pretty obvious.

Console<sup>2</sup> -- Awesome error console. A great tool for web developers.

Firebug -- Another web developer tool. It checks for code validity/errors (the checkmarks at the top-right of the screen). It also opens a console that gives a developer quick access to the source code:
    myfirebug.jpg

The console is good for quick code perusal.

JSView -- Another web developer tool. This one can spit out all JavaScript and CSS (including external files) as equivalent 'View Source' windows. Good if you're looking at a lot of seperate files or long files and you don't want to fiddle around with the Firebug console.

Web Developer -- A whole bunch of web development tools. Some of it is redundant with what Firebug offers (namely the console), but it's menu gives me quick access control for virtually everything. That's what the menubar below the 'Getting Started/Latest Headlines' is (not including JSView...I added that there separately).

Forecast Fox -- Weather extension that's plugged into AccuWeather.com. That's what the icons in the right side of the status bar are.

Rikaichan -- Popup Japanese dictionary. What can I say? I'm a dweeb.

Theme: Noia 2.0 (eXtreme)

Nightslyr on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EDIT: A quick question for everyone. I removed the status bar at one point, then realised that I used it in order to see where a link pointed, and that is something I don't want to do without. Is there anyway to get a functionality where I can mouse over a link and have it's location appear somewhere other than the status bar? I'd like it disable it permanently.
    Fission will let you show the links in the url bar if you set the right options. Its a bit jarring sometimes, but it works.

DigDug2000 on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used to love Tabmix Plus, but then I noticed that it completely slowed down the responsiveness of the GUI in regards to tabs.

One of my new favorites is Resizeable Form Fields. It doesn't always work, but when it does it's pretty sweet.

I also think NoScript is really over-rated. The number of times I've actually wanted something like that is really small, and for the rest of the time it breaks an astronomical number of web sites and you won't even notice because things simply don't show up. Every time a web site seems to be missing something, I get paranoid that NoScript is blocking something important and then have to check it all over again after disabling NoScript. Bottom line is you never know, and always end up having to turn it off to make sure you're not missing anything on any given web page.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited October 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Fission will let you show the links in the url bar if you set the right options. Its a bit jarring sometimes, but it works.

Awesome, works perfectly. I didn't want the loading bar, because I already have each tab set to show a loading bar through Tab Mix +, but I just set the colour to white and it doesn't show. Now I've got about 30 pixels more screen space. Worth the effort.

Centipeed on
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Is there a way (without a plugin) that can force windows to open in the same window/tab?

There used to be a (very obvious) option in Firefox, but it has since vanished.

My god, did no one see this or what? I'm still waiting on an answer.

Magus` on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do you mean single window mode? I don't think you can do that without extensions. I use Tab Mix Plus to do that.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited October 2007
    I mean that if I click a link on a page, I want it to open in the same window and/or tab I'm in (unless I tell it to tab out).

So they removed the function completely from vanilla Firefox? What the shit.

Magus` on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You mean the options under tools->tabbed browsing-> open links in a new tab/current tab/new window?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Fodder wrote: »
    You mean the options under tools->tabbed browsing-> open links in a new tab/current tab/new window?

There is no "Tabbed browsing" under tools.

MKR on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> New pages should be opened in ... * current tab?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited November 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> New pages should be opened in ... * current tab?

Right, but there are ways to pop things up that bypass that (and are frequently used; not out of malice, it's just how javascript spawned windows work in FF), which is the issue.

MKR on