As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blade & Soul] WARLOCK! Poharan/Cerulean Order! Leveling Challenge!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Force Masters start out SO slow. I just now got one to a solid level (25 on the Chinese version I am playing to test classes) and all the sudden you see how holy fuck their builds are. Of course there is likely a set build out there for PVE but that does you no good for having fun with the class.

And when it comes to PVP, while there are some staple skills you need to put points into, a good number of your points change based on the class you are fighting and even sometimes just on the person you are fighting. So you kind of need to know all your options.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Can you change on the fly or relatively easily?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

I was about to ask this same exact thing. :D

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

You can reassign your points, and you can set up multiple "Builds" eventually once you get far enough from my understanding.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    On the fly. Like so much so, that in tag match (the 3v3 arenas which is 1v1 but you can switch players and even call in 6 second assists) you can switch skill points while tagged out.

They put no limits on what you can do with skill points really. I think the only thing locking them down is being in combat. Which you can drop pretty easily. I think an assassin could stealth, wait for combat to drop, and switch skill points really quick. And the interface is pretty slick about it. https://bnstree.com/ is a pretty dead on emulation of the in game skill building. It even has the unreleased classes (just recently got that brand new one too).

The multiple builds thing is a paid unlock I think though. Well it is an unlock I know for a fact, and I would make a strong assumption it involves a paid item (though you can earn paid stuff IG it is just much slower).

• Options
    The more I look at Force Master, the more it reminds me of oldschool WoW mages.

Basically really end up choosing between Fire or Frost and sticking with it, but it is possible to mix the two more for utility purposes.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

Soul Fighter

youtube.com/watch?v=RV6NSR6Sgr0

Now that I've seen the video I see that this class is exactly what I was looking and hoping for.

I'm all about that melee / mage hybrid bullshit for those of you who might not know. They punch and kick instead of slash, stab, and smash but I can live with that.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Might be awhile before we get them though. No one knows for sure the speed of which they will catch us up with the KR client, but Soul Fighter just came out like a month ago.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Fighting system did indeed feel really nice. Might be the best action combat system in a MMO I've played. Really nicely done.

I just need to find time to play this when released...

• Options
    TrepperTrepper Registered User regular
    So, the time grows nigh. Anyone have thoughts about which server to roll on?

• Options
  • Options
    All I suggest is unless you have a major reason, avoid Mushin.

Basically anyone without premium would likely be looking at the games only queue times there.

Master Hong is the one I will be making my main character on, but like I said I will make another char wherever the majority here goes.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I tend to play with PA and SA guys soooo...

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    But when it comes to MMOs PA traditionally has avoided the most populated server, which is where SA is apparently headed.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    But when it comes to MMOs PA traditionally has avoided the most populated server, which is where SA is apparently headed.

This. :/

• Options
    And people wonder why our guilds end up dead. A popular server is not a bad thing.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    And people wonder why our guilds end up dead. A popular server is not a bad thing.

I don't disagree. The question is will non-VIPs even be able to get past the queue boss should we roll on Mushin. D:

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »

This it's not why our guilds end up dead.

And I think most people are aware of how it works ( unless the game always keeps gaining players likely an overfilled server will style down to one of the most stable ones). However some people really want to play now and not wait out the storm. Especially anyone with a head start and not premium.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    And "some people" are likely to get bored of the game two weeks in regardless.

Also, 90% chance that launch bugs and general server issues hit all the servers and "some people" bitch whether on a higher population or lower population server.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Well we know we have a stable game because this isn't a release, it's a translation. And I can assure you with 10 severs on each locale, unless you go to the most populated one there will VERY likely be no server issues.

I am not sure who or what the "some people" being said that way is referring to though?

I think everyone should just list what server preference they have (if any) so we can see if there is any kind of agreement. Or if people just kind of gravitate toward what anyone else has chosen. It would appear the only ones to mention a choice are me (and that is only for my main, I want to make a char wherever the majority here plays so unless the majority here chooses Master Hong, I will be following you guy's decision) and Arthil who I assume is insinuating Mushin.

I really was not telling people NOT to roll on Mushin, but sharing my knowledge of what the server has a 99% of being like on launch. Depending on how the game retains it's players Mushin likely will end up the best server in the long run. But for us as a WHOLE to have the best experience, we likely need to think short term. As likely as a single server is to be the most comfortably active later on, it is also likely server transferring will be an option.

And just to reiterate, these are the servers (taken from the stickied post on the bns reddit, which is where the most popular rankings are from)

North American

Mushin - 1st Most Popular
    Poharan - 2nd Most Popular
    Jiwan - 3rd Most Popular
    Master Hong
    Iksanun
    Yehara
    Hajoon
    Old Man Cho
    Soha
    Juwol

European

Windrest - 1st Most Popular
    Ebon Hall - 2nd Most Popular
    Starfall Crater - 3rd Most Popular
    Cardinal Gates
    Wild Springs
    Hao District
    [DE] Frostgipfel - Most Popular DE
    [DE] Bambusdorf
    [DE] Windweide
    [FR] Dokumo - Most Popular FE
    [FR] Ogong
    [FR] Hogdonny

Kai_San on
  • Options
    There is never enough new PA members joining the game to replace those quitting. It's the fate of all PA guilds, I don't think being on the most populated server would change that. Probably just need to have looser and more active recruiting practices as time goes on.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    The "some people": The ones that go on and on, going full tilt on the hype train, post tons of polls and argue about whether this server or that server like they had to change zip codes, volunteer for leading a guild or whatever....

And then leave the game two weeks in because they're bored without even mentioning it to the other officers.

I mean people do that, it's not a PA board thing either, it's an everyone thing. Just saying you have to keep them in mind when you're considering what the guild will look like population-wise a month in.
    I think two months is considered the infamous mark as far as PA guilds go.

• Options
    Yeah well, that is what I was hinting at previously. I said before that I knew from the get go there was really no chance of a PA guild going for this game based on what is OBVIOUS about the numbers here. Which was odd, because a few people piped in with "nuh uh" and... nothing.

I mean the lack of any real response to anything here should be enough proof to us all about the number of people and their loyalty to the game.

I can't even say I will certainly be a part of this 2 months down the road. That is one of two reasons I would not want to start any form of guild.

These are all lessons I learned hard with Wildstar where I DID do all those things mentioned. But I can honestly say I was the last person standing in the guild I helped create too. I tried to stick with it well beyond that ship sinking :(

That being said, I think really all we are trying to agree on is a server. It would be NICE to be able to pick one place and all go there. Unless you have a guild picked for yourself already.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    There is never enough new PA members joining the game to replace those quitting. It's the fate of all PA guilds, I don't think being on the most populated server would change that. Probably just need to have looser and more active recruiting practices as time goes on.

Never is a strong word, I think it really depends on the game honestly and whether the game itself tends to constantly recruit new players over time or sort of bleed them out instead.

There have been games with a strong PA presence that continue to have a strong PA presence years later.

I would agree however that this will probably not be one of them, not for lack of fun mind you, the game is a lot of fun.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I just want to have people to play with/punch down the line is all.

• Options

Never is a strong word, I think it really depends on the game honestly and whether the game itself tends to constantly recruit new players over time or sort of bleed them out instead.

There have been games with a strong PA presence that continue to have a strong PA presence years later.

I would agree however that this will probably not be one of them, not for lack of fun mind you, the game is a lot of fun.

I know OF these games (seems like Secret world and TERA we do well in, disregarding the obvious FF14 and GW2), but I also know the ones I have played outside of GW2 have recruited from outside to maintain themselves.

As I said, if you have a preference on server, made a choice already, picked something out of a hat, SOMETHING, list it here. Do not try to guess what others have, just pick one. See what everyone else thinks. Then go from there.

So far no one has done this.

• Options

I know OF these games (seems like Secret world and TERA we do well in, disregarding the obvious FF14 and GW2), but I also know the ones I have played outside of GW2 have recruited from outside to maintain themselves.

As I said, if you have a preference on server, made a choice already, picked something out of a hat, SOMETHING, list it here. Do not try to guess what others have, just pick one. See what everyone else thinks. Then go from there.

So far no one has done this.

I have literally no preference one way or the other.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards Poharan or Master Hong. Jiwan sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I personally would prefer Mushin, but Poharan would be a good second option.

Also oh god Jiwan is going to be the unofficial RP server, AND the Brazil server.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I mean I'm only sorta keeping my eye on this but since I play pretty much every MMO I'll likely join you guys for awhile.

I feel like high pop servers are the way to go in a game like this. Queues tend to be a very temporary problem, and while they suck, it would also suck to be stuck on a lower pop server once initial hype dies down. I mean this might not be a concern if you aren't planning to play that long, but if you think you'll ever revisit the game it should be.

Poharan might be fine but my first choice would be Mushin too. I would recommend against any lower pop servers than those, though.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I'll go wherever the group decides to go. :)

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I'll be in the EU server. In one of the more populated probably.

• Options
    I'm ok with Mushin if we agree to all go there. I mean, I will have VIP status so the queue "problem" should not be a problem for me. :P

• Options
    Trepper wrote: »
    I'm ok with Mushin if we agree to all go there. I mean, I will have VIP status so the queue "problem" should not be a problem for me. :P

That's not a very fair attitude :(

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm inclined to go with the high pop, but I wouldn't mind going with the medium pop (if one exists?) early knowing that I'd probably end up transferring if the server dies and I'm still playing down the road.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Have my vote for either Mushin or Poharan.

Higher population servers mean it's easier to find groups for things that require groups to do, like endgame.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I believe all dungeon and PVP content is cross server. At least using the finder (and you can invite custom people via the finder, so as long as they are on your friends list they can easily be found).

The only real thing about server that matters might be the faction PVP, which is mostly just a PVE zone you are required to wear your PVP outfit for so people can contest you. But I am pretty sure none of the goals require pvp even.

If everyone was happy with Poharan that would be fine with me. If you go Mushin, I will roll there but I am not going to be waiting for queues so until they are gone I wouldn't be playing there. I don't have enough free time for that.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Like, FF there's a cross server auto-geouping party finder for like... Nornal dungeons.

But there's also an in-server selective group advertisment/finder that's not automatic like FF14 has.

And obviously, endgame stuff will be server based. You know, for the super hard stuff.

• Options
    Trepper wrote: »

That's not a very fair attitude :(

I already expressed my concern about non-VIPs having queue issues earlier in the thread. I can see both sides of the arguement.

When it's all said and done, I don't care which server - I just want as little splintering as possible. :)

• Options
    FYI, name reservation and character creation for Europe for Founders has already started and it starts for America at 6PM PST.

Choosing a server is part of that.

So are we rolling on Mushin or Poharan or sonething else or what?

Since no one has said what the PA server is going to be I'm probably going to be picking Mushin unless someone comes in here and says we're rolling on Poharan/elsewhere before that happens.