As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Format was is Over!? $100 HD-DVD player from Toshiba and HD-DVD's for 15 bucks.

• Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    jlrx wrote: »
    Saddler wrote: »
    The basic problem as I see it is that anyone who can afford an HDTV can also afford a high end player.

My HDTV cost $400. I'm not exactly barfing extra money here.

I may pick this up so that I can have a DVD player in the living room and the bedroom without relying on the PS2. Also my HDTV only supports up to 1080i so it sounds good to me.

I just have to make sure that it'll output HD over component and not be restricted to HDCP.

HD is capable of being output over component just the same as HDMI , even to the point of outputting 720p/1080i/1080p the only advantage HDMI gives you is "one wire" to rule them all, instead of 5 plugs you get one.

I know that the cable is capable of carrying the signal, but it can't carry HDCP information (HDCP = High Definition Content Protection) and as such is seen as an "analog hole" by the movie industry. In order to plug the analog hole they can refuse to output HD content over component video. For example, I already know that this player will disable 1080i and 720p output over component when displaying a standard DVD forcing you to watch them in 480p, but has no problem up-converting to 1080i when you're using HDMI.

I don't mind dropping to 480p for a regular DVD ... but if it won't output an HDDVD in 1080i over component then it's completely worthless to me.

I believe the restriction is soley in the realm of 1080p, but I cant be completely sure, i'll give you 90% 1080i is unrestricted

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    The basic problem as I see it is that anyone who can afford an HDTV can also afford a high end player.

My HDTV cost $400. I'm not exactly barfing extra money here.

I may pick this up so that I can have a DVD player in the living room and the bedroom without relying on the PS2. Also my HDTV only supports up to 1080i so it sounds good to me.

I just have to make sure that it'll output HD over component and not be restricted to HDCP.

HD is capable of being output over component just the same as HDMI , even to the point of outputting 720p/1080i/1080p the only advantage HDMI gives you is "one wire" to rule them all, instead of 5 plugs you get one.

I know that the cable is capable of carrying the signal, but it can't carry HDCP information (HDCP = High Definition Content Protection) and as such is seen as an "analog hole" by the movie industry. In order to plug the analog hole they can refuse to output HD content over component video. For example, I already know that this player will disable 1080i and 720p output over component when displaying a standard DVD forcing you to watch them in 480p, but has no problem up-converting to 1080i when you're using HDMI.

I don't mind dropping to 480p for a regular DVD ... but if it won't output an HDDVD in 1080i over component then it's completely worthless to me.

I believe the restriction is soley in the realm of 1080p, but I cant be completely sure, i'll give you 90% 1080i is unrestricted

1080p is restricted over component, and upconversion is restricted over component. If you want a 1080p signal or an upconverted 480p signal, you need either HDMI, DVI, or VGA.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daemonion wrote: »
    This is an excellent deal for those with 720p and 1080i systems.

Perfect, because I wanted to surprise my aunt with a 1080i hdtv and either an HD or BR player. Scales have definitely been tipped towards HD.

Also, I noticed that someone on the previous page bought a 50'' screen at 720p. I thought I'd share this website with everyone:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

So does that mean... If I'm sitting < 3ft from my 50" TV, I should notice a difference from 720p to 1080p? But if I sit about 9ft away, it shouldn't be noticeable? Hmm.. Interesting.

urahonky on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    (snip)

1080p is restricted over component, and upconversion is restricted over component. If you want a 1080p signal or an upconverted 480p signal, you need either HDMI, DVI, or VGA.

Just to be sure that I'm not inferring something that isn't true ... does that mean that 1080i HD DVD output isn't restricted?

Also: I have no chance in hell of recognizing 720p vs 1080i on my 27" tv (which I watch from about 6'-9' away), but apparently this specific player outputs a cleaner 1080i signal ... so 1080i it is) ... but the chart says that on my TV from 9 feet away I couldn't tell the difference between 480p and 720p, which I know is flat-out false.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Daemonion wrote: »
    This is an excellent deal for those with 720p and 1080i systems.

Perfect, because I wanted to surprise my aunt with a 1080i hdtv and either an HD or BR player. Scales have definitely been tipped towards HD.

Also, I noticed that someone on the previous page bought a 50'' screen at 720p. I thought I'd share this website with everyone:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

So does that mean... If I'm sitting < 3ft from my 50" TV, I should notice a difference from 720p to 1080p? But if I sit about 9ft away, it shouldn't be noticeable? Hmm.. Interesting.

for normal eyesight, yes, thats about the cut off point. If your eyesight is better then you could sit further away and tell the diference, and if you eye sight is worse you could sit closer and not tell the difference.

Veevee on
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cctex823 wrote: »

I was *just* going to post that.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    holy crap, I predicted it would start, HD-DVD players ftw.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think this is a brilliant tactic by both toshiba and walmart. I'm certain that black friday should bring some killer deals for HDTV's also.

I think I'm going to hate that day though (retail job)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, why don't I have any american friends? D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    better make some quick, this is the link for those not wanting to visit the first page

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    another thing to note is the HD-DVD's for 15 dollars.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a good move by Toshiba, but I think people are drastically over estimating its effects when people still don't care about HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

edit: And the ad only shows 3 HD-DVDs for $15, not the whole stock.

khain on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    didnt say it was the whole stock, but with the fact that buying the player for 100 dollars ALSO gets you 5 free HD-DVD's and now you can get these for 15 bucks, I think its quite a good deal.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It is a good deal, I just wanted to point out the three HD-DVD thing as I was confused by the thread title when compared to the ad.

khain on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can I go into a WalMart at 12:01 tonight and get this? I'm not sure how the system works!

Magus` on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wrong Friday, this is for the day after Thanksgiving

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh.

Goddamit people, why put this up so fucking early? You had my hopes up for nothing.

Magus` on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Oh.

Goddamit people, why put this up so fucking early? You had my hopes up for nothing.

It goes on tomorrow
    EDIT> at 8am
    that guy was lying

MrDelish on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    anyone have the spec on that 50" plasma tv? I can't figure out what model that tv is.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thank you. I thought the Engadget thing said 'this Friday'.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    (snip)

Just to be sure that I'm not inferring something that isn't true ... does that mean that 1080i HD DVD output isn't restricted?

I htink that's correct. A 360 can output 720p or 1080i over component, at the least, but can't do 1080p unless you have the Elite which has an HDMI jack.
    Also: I have no chance in hell of recognizing 720p vs 1080i on my 27" tv (which I watch from about 6'-9' away), but apparently this specific player outputs a cleaner 1080i signal ... so 1080i it is) ... but the chart says that on my TV from 9 feet away I couldn't tell the difference between 480p and 720p, which I know is flat-out false.

As was said, depends on the person. At 27", yeah, I doubt you could tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at 9'. I can tell the difference between them on a 51" screen at about 10', though, and with good source it's pretty remarkable. To me. YMMV, which is why people should never buy a TV they haven't seen in person and properly calibrated.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    100 bucks. Damn.

I bet people will show up, buy out the whole stock, and hawk them all on eBay.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    here's hoping it goes well, because this is an ultra aggressive move by walmart, they toppled companies by driving prices down on the HDTV front, and it looks like they are taking a big swipe at blu-ray and target (being that target isnt carrying hdtv players in store)

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    100 bucks. Damn.

I bet people will show up, buy out the whole stock, and hawk them all on eBay.

They usually limit quantity's specifically because of that.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    (snip)

I htink that's correct. A 360 can output 720p or 1080i over component, at the least, but can't do 1080p unless you have the Elite which has an HDMI jack.

As was said, depends on the person. At 27", yeah, I doubt you could tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at 9'. I can tell the difference between them on a 51" screen at about 10', though, and with good source it's pretty remarkable. To me. YMMV, which is why people should never buy a TV they haven't seen in person and properly calibrated.

A friend has a TV that the 360 is outputting to at 1080p via Component.

But then again it's not playing HD-DVDs so that might be the limiting factor.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To clear up the 360 resolution question:

Component - games: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (only if your TV supports 1080p over component)
    Component - DVDs: 480i, 480p
    Component - HDDVDs: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

VGA & HDMI - everything: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Also VGA can do some crazy resomolutions like 1280x1024 for 4:3 setups.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I picked one up this morning at about 9am, they had about 30 still laying around. I heard from one of the employees that almost nobody showed up in the morning, since it was a work day. I bet lunch is going to be crazy though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I picked one up this morning at about 9am, they had about 30 still laying around. I heard from one of the employees that almost nobody showed up in the morning, since it was a work day. I bet lunch is going to be crazy though.

That's how it was here.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Got one too. Apparently no one knew they were there!

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Got one too. Apparently no one knew they were there!

Were they on display or behind the counter? I walked around for 5 minutes before spotting some lady with one of the Acer laptops at the counter and then I saw the players back behind the clerk.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hrm, 'higher resolution is prohibited for this content'. Is that because I'm using component or what?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hrm, 'higher resolution is prohibited for this content'. Is that because I'm using component or what?

It only upscales DVD over HDMI.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I have a DVI input and a DVI cable and no HDMI input. WHAT DO I NEED TO REMEDY THIS?!

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Could I find those locally? Wal*Mart perhaps? I don't feel like waiting to get one in the mail.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes, but its going to be absurdly expensive in comparison.

khain on
  • Options
    VyerVyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been saying I will stay out of the high def area until something is decided. But a 100 dollar player is hard to ignore.

Hell, I was going to get something to upscale while I wait. Regular upscalers are around 100 bucks.

No matter what happens I won't feel as bad if all I spent so little on the player.

Hmm...

Vyer on
    Vyer.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Present for mom and dad get!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.