As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    yeah the one that lets you take a shot with attached cannon after a miss is pretty strong even without a second one

that with a TLT y-wing and a couple headhunters would be a decent list

Shorty on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Am I going to buy one of those transports just for the C-3PO card...

C-3PO is the top-32 card for 2016 Store Champs, so if you can make it to just one of those you're pretty likely to get a copy.
    Is running only one IG-88 viable?

I will get a second one at some point but for now is it still a good ship to have on its own? It kinda feels like a waste not having that title-sharing skill.

50-52pt big ship + 2xTLT Y-Wings is a real solid list no matter what big ship you're running.

admanb on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Am I going to buy one of those transports just for the C-3PO card...

I sure hope not!

C-3PO doesn't come with the transport :-3

I will get a second one at some point but for now is it still a good ship to have on its own? It kinda feels like a waste not having that title-sharing skill.

There's been a couple of strong tournament finishes by IG + Firespray.
    One IG is just fine.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Couldn't grab Most Wanted tonight, had a complication with a sick pet. Hopefully they still have it Saturday.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I could not figure out how C-3P0 was anything but a novelty card until I read that you should always say Zero, then if you roll no evades you have one but if you do roll evades, well you have evades. Makes sense now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    There's also the desperation move of calling 1 when you're down to 1/2 hull and there are 2/3 hits coming your way

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    C3P0 is effectively permanent 1 damage reduction, because it always guarantees at least one evade. The irony is that Fat-Han is punished by the TLT considerably, because it only cares if it hits and shoots twice - taking away the main benefit of C3P0. Fat Han is very hard for ties to deal with though.

And that 600pt epic game happened today. 7 hours of glorious X-Wing where every character from the movies was present (bar one). It has been a happy time and I eventually won, though we did discover if two epic ships end up colliding they will end up in a permanent state of being unable to move anywhere. It's kind of annoying and really needs some kind of rules fix, even if the tantives hull eventually ground the raider into space dust.

It was honestly a really fun and tensely close game, despite the inherent silliness behind the entire concept. It was also a game of spectacular failures, like Luke being crushed by a raider, Wedge being shot down by basic tie pilots, Vader getting 6 stress tokens making him useless for the rest of the game (Stress Y-Wing ended up right behind him), Han taking 1 point of effective damage all game and the final tie fending off 6 ships to blow up the B-Wing as his final desperate act.

By the games end the Rebel alliance lost about 400 points of stuff, while the Imperials were wiped out to a man.

And no, I don't ever intend to repeat this game. Ever.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Please tell me you took photos!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

Solid ship but man, running 2 is so great. I limit myself to a single "large" ship myself and I made an exception to that rule for the IG-88.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    C3P0 is effectively permanent 1 damage reduction, because it always guarantees at least one evade.

Not necessarily. If you put it on a B-Wing and then someone reduces your agility to 0 you don't get to roll any dice so no Threepio. I learned this the hard way.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So what are the counters to C-3PO?

My friends are thinking about banning it because it's "too good"

6F32U1X.png
    So what are the counters to C-3PO?

My friends are thinking about banning it because it's "too good"

TLTs. Swarms.

It's only really good against lists that rely on rolling a small number of dice to do damage -- i.e. ace lists.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It can only be used once a round so yeah, more firepower is the solution.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    In case people are interested, we're gonna try playing Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, but with the Scum small craft. Feel free to sign up, if interested!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Let me know if you do and Imperial one. I'd be down to try that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    In case people are interested, we're gonna try playing Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, but with the Scum small craft. Feel free to sign up, if interested!

Are you running it PBP, or on Vassal? Or some third option that I don't know about?

I'm running it as a PBP, where people tell me what they want their ship to do, and then I play it out in Vassal. If you go to the Heroes thread it's about 9 rounds in, so you can get a feel for it there

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    C3P0 is effectively permanent 1 damage reduction, because it always guarantees at least one evade.

Not necessarily. If you put it on a B-Wing and then someone reduces your agility to 0 you don't get to roll any dice so no Threepio. I learned this the hard way.

Huh what now?

That's not true.

When you roll your defense dice, you roll your defense dice, even if the number of dice you're rolling is 0. So, you can call 0 Evades and be right, and then add one with -3PO.

Similarly, you can spend focus tokens to turn [Eye] icons into hits / evades, even if you didn't roll any [Eye]s, and you can use Accuracy Corrector to compensate for a Blinded Pilot critical hit.

Elvenshae on
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Huh what now?

That's not true.

When you roll your defense dice, you roll your defense dice, even if the number of dice you're rolling is 0. So, you can call 0 Evades and be right, and then add one with -3PO.

Similarly, you can spend focus tokens to turn [Eye] icons into hits / evades, even if you didn't roll any [Eye]s, and you can use Accuracy Corrector to compensate for a Blinded Pilot critical hit.

You're technically correct, but C-3PO specifically says "when you roll 1 or more defense dice". :P

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... oops! Forgot that part. :D Sorry, @DarkPrimus !

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    I feel so guilty that, as a casual player, I just bought a laser to be able to check firing arc with more ease. I'm such a lost case...

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I know Scyk's aren't considered great but, inspired by the Scum PBP, I kinda wanna try this digitally at some point:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/384863/gimmicky-nonsense#manoeuvres=show&view=full

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Couple of new spoilers, hot from the FFG forums;

12400517_10208380115210066_4134795810859351030_n.jpg?oh=b9f3bbdac169667330da83f3587fbbf8&oe=57423790

4-LOM
    "27 Points, PS6, the ability should be something like: At the end of the end phase, you may remove one of your stress tokens and assign it to another ship at range 1."

Utterly brutal.

2cmlnr5.jpg

Tel Trevura
    "The first time you should be destroyed, cancel remaining damages, discard all your damage cards and assign four facedown damage cards to this ship."

Kinda weird...
    It's been pointed out that this combos with Hull Upgrade.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    mist hunter is shaping up to be one weird-ass ship

I haven't done the math on Zuckuss but I think it comes down to whether you and your opponent have focus tokens

if neither of you has one, you use his ability

if you have one and they don't, you use his ability

if you both have one, you use his ability

if you don't have one and they do, you don't use his ability

target locks mess with it, but my guess would be that if you have one, you always use his ability

also some cases like C3PO might change the flowchart, too

somebody with math skills should look into that

4-LOM is obviously super mean

also, it can equip both weapons engineer and fire control system, which is neat

Shorty on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    4-LOM and Zuckuss were two of my favorites back in the Decipher card game.

It doesn't get any cooler than a droid bounty hunter whose name is "For love of money"

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    It can only be used once a round so yeah, more firepower is the solution.

When is 'more firepower' not the solution?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • pbpanchopbpancho Registered User new member
    If any of you are going to be at PAX South, there will be an X-Wing dogfight tournament Saturday, with prize support. Should be on the schedule soon.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Most Wanted acquired. Unfortunately they didn't have any other scum ships, so I'll have to keep an eye out elsewhere.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I could not figure out how C-3P0 was anything but a novelty card until I read that you should always say Zero, then if you roll no evades you have one but if you do roll evades, well you have evades. Makes sense now.

ermergerd, Spork is still around. My faith in the forums is restored

On topic: Going to playing approximately 12 hours of X-Wing tomorrow, and I am excited.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    I'm so jealous

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I've always said I didn't have enough money to get into any other games other than 40K, but after watching The Force Awakens, and reading through the Bantha Squad thread and this one, now I want to play this game. But do I enlist int he Rebellion, and fly my beloved Y-Wings and A-Wings, or help the Empire to defeat those rebel scum with Tie Advanced's? Decisions, decisions...

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've always said I didn't have enough money to get into any other games other than 40K, but after watching The Force Awakens, and reading through the Bantha Squad thread and this one, now I want to play this game. But do I enlist int he Rebellion, and fly my beloved Y-Wings and A-Wings, or help the Empire to defeat those rebel scum with Tie Advanced's? Decisions, decisions...

Both!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2016
    Neither!

(Scum and Villainy are a thing)

Also, yeah, The Force Awakens really boosted my interest in Star Wars as well. I've pretty much put Infinity aside for now (which is fine as I have loads of miniatures and terrain to paint) for this and Imperial Assault.

-Loki- on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm so jealous

You're welcome to come over :) Crimson is going to swing through, though he does not know it yet

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

g2ebgacat28t.jpg

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    My carrier should get here Monday. :3

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Nice.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    If I ever get into a no holds barred 100pt free for all....

Gozanti-Class Cruiser: Gozanti-Class Cruiser (40)
    Optimized Generators (5)
    · Mara Jade (3)
    Construction Droid (3)
    · Suppressor (6)
    Engineering Team (4)
    Slicer Tools (7)
    Cluster Bombs (4)
    Ion Cannon Battery (2 Energy) (6)
    TIE Interceptor: Avenger Squadron Pilot (20)
    Autothrusters (2)

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Today I flew Scum Y-Wings vs a friend who has a decent collection but not a huge experience playing the game.

He immediately described them as the hottest bullshit and asked what are good starter points for playing Scum.

Also apparently I have a regional championship in my local store, so might sign up for that. Represent the Star Viper a little, maybe bring something like this: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/386582/guri-guri-party-time

Though Predator might be worth it on Guri to make her rolls more reliable but don't have it currently and just made a big Armada order.

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    I mean, Predator is rarely a bad choice, but I wouldn't sweat it. PtL is a good option as well.

End of the month I'm flying this is a small tournament. Less experienced players, so not a five star list, but I look forward to breaking out Guri and getting to test the Guidance Chips (assuming they are out).

xwing-builder.co.uk/view/375382/guri-and-generic-friends#manoeuvres=hide