As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Seven Wizards for Seven Apocalypses: Now with an ending slapped on

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    How loyal is the apprentice? Do we have any magic binding her actions or?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    No update tonight chaps and chapettes, too tired to write coherently.
    Polaritie wrote: »

Seems pretty loyal. And you do not.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    No update tonight chaps and chapettes, too tired to write coherently.

Seems pretty loyal. And you do not.

Welp, don't trust her for a second.

Message received.

And take a nap Mojo!

So... let's have her draw lots of mana from the shard and let it eat some of her soul then?

That should suffice as a leash. We'd ve better off is she was bound to it like Vulcanus.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I mean, that's probably not a bad idea but it doesn't really seem like Cinders' style. Cinders appears to be of a more raw power-oriented school of thought regarding betrayals and keeping people in line from what we've heard about Lavashaping fluff-wise.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »

I mean, that's probably not a bad idea but it doesn't really seem like Cinders' style. Cinders appears to be of a more raw power-oriented school of thought regarding betrayals and keeping people in line from what we've heard about Lavashaping fluff-wise.

We, Are, Cinders. Dun dundundun, dun dun dun.

D(South), 5, %, Fortune

We have a lot of resources, but not much the peasants can do with them (any chance we can build some new structures? Training Barracks? Watch Towers? Defensive Wall? It's clear a war is coming, so maybe we should prepare in ways beyond just troops), so my vote is we scout. Castle is preference, to understand the bulk of this island better. Hole in the ocean would be good, too, except that we may need a boat to get to it. It's that or we give the peasants a holiday... kind of a calm before the storm.

RE: Trade Vehicles. It's possible, as someone else alluded to, that the attacks are orchestrated by Nephroditi and Selin, part of their ploy to shape the politics of the world. Our caravans may not have been attacked yet because we are on good terms with her. However, if our plan is to get involved in the war between these two cities in hopes of gaining the power of one side, we will be likely crossing Nephroditi and Selin and should be ready for retaliation.

I like the idea of building the mana focus, but given Cinders' action list is three times as large as our peasants, and our mana generation has kept up well, I don't imagine we'll be spending much time drawing from the source in the near future. If we get a lull in the action, though, we should get it done as I could see it being a massive benefit down the road, especially if we can gather and merge more crystals to it.

Edit: Other things to keep in mind (but I don't have any solutions for) is that when the two towns go to war, our trade deals will likely end. I imagine we'll also either lose our spies, or be caught, due to heightened security. There is a chance we may end up being on the disliked side of both towns.

am0n on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

We, Are, Cinders. Dun dundundun, dun dun dun.

D(South), 5, %, Fortune

We have a lot of resources, but not much the peasants can do with them (any chance we can build some new structures? Training Barracks? Watch Towers? Defensive Wall? It's clear a war is coming, so maybe we should prepare in ways beyond just troops), so my vote is we scout. Castle is preference, to understand the bulk of this island better. Hole in the ocean would be good, too, except that we may need a boat to get to it. It's that or we give the peasants a holiday... kind of a calm before the storm.

RE: Trade Vehicles. It's possible, as someone else alluded to, that the attacks are orchestrated by Nephroditi and Selin, part of their ploy to shape the politics of the world. Our caravans may not have been attacked yet because we are on good terms with her. However, if our plan is to get involved in the war between these two cities in hopes of gaining the power of one side, we will be likely crossing Nephroditi and Selin and should be ready for retaliation.

I like the idea of building the mana focus, but given Cinders' action list is three times as large as our peasants, and our mana generation has kept up well, I don't imagine we'll be spending much time drawing from the source in the near future. If we get a lull in the action, though, we should get it done as I could see it being a massive benefit down the road, especially if we can gather and merge more crystals to it.

Edit: Other things to keep in mind (but I don't have any solutions for) is that when the two towns go to war, our trade deals will likely end. I imagine we'll also either lose our spies, or be caught, due to heightened security. There is a chance we may end up being on the disliked side of both towns.

Right, but we didn't take one of the pro-manipulation archetypes and can throw lava at dudes. Mind-controlling or cursing someone seems inconsistent as far as methodology, and Lavashaping having a Rule of Two or similar zeems likelier.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Why would you even let her know about the shards the first place?

E 5 £ - Fortunes

Attack the mine with everything we got next turn, then buy passage and assault Dorne.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Sorry - forgot I had antenatal class this eve

I super double promise I'll update tomorrow

In the meantime name your new apprentice

Mojo_Jojo on
    are you teaching it or are you having a little jojo

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Name: #2.

Don't want to get to attached to the thing.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    zekebeau wrote: »

Took me a minute to parse those next to each other.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Name vote:

Little Jojo

Name vote:

Umbrella

Rhymes.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Name: Misty

Invictus wrote: »
    zekebeau wrote: »

Took me a minute to parse those next to each other.

I am the dumb :rotate:

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Apprentice-name: Nim

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    D (SW) 5 % Fortune Apprentice = Misty

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    edited January 2016
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Apprentice-name: Nim

Min

Or, or... Mumbrelsty!

am0n on

The latter. Terrifying times.

Congrats!

• CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    Misty sounds good. Save Umbrella for a shadowmancer apprentice.

I second (or whatever) Misty for the name

Congrats. So you know, it is okay to be terrified, I was and now she's past her first birthday, I still am.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Cirrus

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited January 2016
    Turn 26

Decision E 5 % Misty: Militia, new smoulderlings to protect the traders
    Bonuses: +5 Mana, +7 Fortune

Things
    Mana: 34 [+10/turn]
    Fortune: 23/50 [+1/turn]
    Growth: 0/10 [+3/turn]
    Peasants: 11 (effectively 26)
    Population: 16
    Shelter: 25
    Food: 25
    Resources: 69 [+4*/turn]
    Silver Pieces: 67 [+2*/turn]
    Study: 0/?? [+2/turn]

*+1d4+1 to lowest total

The Obsidian Tower
    Fused shards: Foreseen, Loyalist
    +11 mana / turn, +1 resource, / turn, +1 growth / turn, +1 study / turn, +1 fortune / turn
    [Ashvent] - Prevents scrying in the region
    [Scholar's Hall] - Allows research, +1 study/turn

Glassalia
    [Fertile Farm] = +25 food
    [Glass houses] = +25 shelter
    [Lumber yard] = +1 resource / 10 peasants / turn)
    [Tavern] = +1 growth / turn
    [Mercantile Guild] +1d4-1 / turn to lowest of silver pieces or resources
    [Scouting] = Difficulty 15 check when exploring to uncover additional bonuses

New Thett
    Spy = -1 silver pieces / turn, +1 to mercantile guild

Caldeot
    Spy = -1 silver pieces / turn, +1 to mercantile guild

Individuals & Armies
    Cinders, The Foreseen Lavashaper
    Combat: 5 dice, 4+ strength [Lucky] [Battle Scholar] [Wizard] [Ranged(short)] [Deadslayer] [Aftermath]
    Equipment: Vulcanus
    Vote bonuses: +1 Mana or +1 Fortune per vote

Skeleton Warriors
    Combat: 2 dice, 8+ strength, [Hard to kill]

Smoulderlings
    Combat: 4 dice, 6+ strength, [Obscuring]

Militia [5 Peasants]
    Combat: 2 dice, 7+ strength, [Swarmfighting]

Runed golem
    Combat: 5 dice, 7+ strength, [Armoured 2]

Misty, The Ivory Apprentice Rainbringer
    Combat: 2 dice, 6+ strength [Distracting] [Wizard] [Deadslayer]

Sanders, The Magma Wyrm [adds +25 to fortune threshold. Improves fortunes]

More Smoulderlings [protecting trade caravans]

Ingvar's Machine [Imprisoned]
    Combat: 3 dice, 5+ strength, [sluggish]

Elephantite x1
    -1 mana/turn
    15 peasants of labour

[Adaptable] During a round, one positive trait of the target is cancelled
    [Lucky] One reroll per round
    [Ranged(short)] Make one attack without retaliation before melee
    [Wizard] Must spend 1 mana / round or lose all but one dice
    [Swarmfighting] +1 on rolls when targeting an enemy targeted by another ally
    [Hard to kill] If beaten in combat make a difficulty 8 check. On success the unit is not destroyed
    [Sluggish] Only rolls dice every second round
    [Battle Scholar] +1 study / round and +1 study on a natural 10
    [Armoured N] Unit has N armour that are lost in place of dice
    [Obscuring]: target rolls one fewer dice (cannot reduce dice rolled to fewer than one)
    [Deadslayer]: Makes a difficulty 8 check each round. On success deals a dice of damage to a random bonemancy enemy unit
    [Distracting]: All target rolls are made at -1
    [Aftermath]: Each turn, make a one dice attack against a random enemy unit other than the current target

Artifacts
    Vulcanus
    Grants Ranged(short) to the bearer
    Intelligent(?)

The Archive
    Reflections on the twin shards and their ultimate connection to the artifact once known as The Weir
    Lowers difficulty of drawing by 2
    Increases output of drawing by +1/dice
    Increases mana income by +1 / turn
    Allows shard fusion/destruction

A detailed consideration of the entities which lurk below and how to effectively bind them into perpetual servitude
    Allows Smoulderlings and Elephantites to be summoned

Of the interplay between bonemancy and lavashaping: Flaming skulls or smouldering corpses?
    Grants [Wizard] units [deadslayer] ability

On the origin of Vulcanus by means of ethereal selection, and the sub splintering of the world crystal]/i]
    Grants Cinders [Aftermath]
    Allows construction of the Shardforge
    Makes Vulcanus loyal

Diplomacy
    The Drowned Lady: Caldeot, the town by the Drowned City
    Relations: Respectful and amiable
    Spy in place: Undetected
    Military: 13 dice at 6+ strength all with [Armoured 1/2]

Sultan Ofan: New Thett, the merchant hub
    Relations: Besotted
    Spy in place: Undetected
    Military: 20 dice at 7+ strength

Nephroditi: The Bonemancer Wanderer
    Relations: Business-like
    Trade route: +2 silver pieces, +1 growth & +1 resource/ turn

Selin:The Silver-tongued Spirit-Weaver
    Relations: Friendly

Tzo'lin: The Undying Pious servant of The Bound Giant
    Relations: Unsettling, but positive

Ingvar: The Instigator Mechano-Sage
    Relations: Unknown

Talen: The other one

Axiom: The Fistcaster Loyalist

Summary
    In those first heady hours when Cinders had arrived in this world, she could do almost anything. And in those moments she'd plucked a slender fragment of her own shard from her body and used it to form the heart of the being she knew now as Vulcanus. Vulcanus was unique and Cinders knew she would never create another artifact such as it. Even if she was to shatter one of the other shards and focus a tremendous amounts of magical energy, it would not create a second Vulcanus but something entirely other.

Despite having been born of the The Weir, Vulcanus' connection to it was strange. Four shards remained: One here in the Obsidian Tower, One in Drome, One in the Bone Caravan and the final with Ingvar. Each resonated with the others. Vulcanus' bond with the shard in the tower seemed to have been severed entirely, but a strand still lingered. It led out to the south, and the lavashaper did not need to consult the fortunes of the world to see that it ended at Ingvar's own shard. The Ashvent had deadened that connection, but if Ingvar had arrived in person or if Vulcanus had been brought in proximity to the pallid mechano-sage's home then it would have been trivial to dominate the artifact and turn it upon Cinders.

Fortunately, the bond was easily broken and Vulcanus liberated from its own inevitable treason. It did not seem to alter his temperament. The bladed disc was an intensely curious being, spending much of his time roaming Glassalia, following its inhabitants and occasionally loudly shouting its name at them. As much as it could, it seemed to enjoy the company of the mortals. Even now it spent most evenings pinned above the doors of the tavern, acting as a burning sign. More usefully, undividing its loyalties also made it more self-sufficient making it more potent in battle.

Vulanus was forged from intense thaumaturgie, but less potent versions would still have value. The problem was that Cinders had no desire to spend her days handcrafting individual Vulcanettes, or glaives as she'd come to name the form of that bladed disc. And so, was born the idea of the Shardforge. The key was to minimize her own input, but to ensure she retained her hand on the yoke. The solution was simple, she could open a minor channel from the shard down to Glassalia via lavashaping. It would create a focused point of incredible heat and magic imprinted with the glaive-pattern, and once it was opened it would need no maintenance from Cinders. The peasants would then be able to assemble a forge around it, increasing their own productivity while allowing them to build weapons more impressive than their obsidian spears. The glaives it produced would be blessed with a little enchantment of their own, aiding their deadly flight through the air.
    [Research: adds [Aftermath] to Cinders allowing her to make a one dice attack against a random other enemy unit each round in combat. Also allows construction of the Shardforge which produces 1 resource / turn and upgrades Militia into Glaivekin, which have the [Ranged(short) ability. Vulcanus is now loyal]

Cinders stood in the her throne chamber looking down at Glassalia. Even from this distance she could spot her living weapon. It was currently terrifying some newcomers to Glassalia, shouting at them to identify themselves or face his wrath. On the opposite side of the settlement, a new unit of guardsmen were being put through their paces. And looking out further, Cinders could just about see one of her trade wagons slowly rolling away to Caldeot. It was obscured by a ring of wispy smoke. The signs of her newest summoning: The Smoulderlings that would accompany all future traders in their travels.
    [Growth. 3 peasants attracted]
    [Militia produced]
    [New smoulderlings summed and used to protect traders protected]
    [New Thett will launch an attack on Caldeot next turn]
    [Tzo'lin will destroy his crystal and reawaken his god on turn 30]

Decision Time
    (A letter, a number, a symbol and your vote bonus)

Peasant action:
    A: Build houses (shelter for 25 peasants) (costs 15 resources)
    B: Build a farm (+20 food) (Costs 15 resources)
    C: Build a ship (allows contact with Drome and whaling) (costs 100 resources)
    D: Build the Shardforge (+ 1 resource / round, upgrades Militia to Glaivekin) (costs 40 resources and 10 mana)
    E: Scout the mainland [specify southwest, south, east]
    F: Raise militia (produces a [Militia] unit, costs 5 resources and 5 peasants)
    G : Work a double shift on the sawmill (produces 5+1d6 resources)

Cinders action:
    1: Help the peasants (Pay 2x resource cost in mana and 0 resources on build, or pay 5 mana on production to obtain +1d8 resources) [Make sure the peasant action chosen makes sense]
    2: Try to draw more mana from the crystal shards (difficulty 11: Success gains 3d8+3 mana, Failure is bad)
    3: Construct a mana focus (costs 50 mana. Reduces drawing difficulty by 3 and adds +1d8 to drawing)
    4: Accelerate the experiments (costs 3 mana to obtain +1d8 study)
    5: Summon Smoulderlings (produces a [Smoulderling] unit, 4 dice, 6+ [Obscuring], costs 40 mana)
    6: Summon an Elephantite (produces labour equivalent to 15 peasants, costs 30 mana and 1mana/turn)
    7: Cast the spell of the statues (costs 100 mana)
    8: Boil the lake to expose the drowned city (costs 100 mana)
    9: Attack/Annex Caldeot/New Thett (choose one and specify units)
    10: Accept Mitel's proposal (+1 husband, provides a free ship)
    11: Buy passage to Drome and find Tzo'lin (costs 20 silver, specify units)
    12: Try to persuade Caldeot / Lord Laren (from New Thett) to claim (back) the mine (difficulty 8, moves Tzo'lin's destiny event forward 5 turns and may free up the mine)
    13: Attack the mine to destroy the avatar of Tzo'lin (gains the mine +2 resources and +1 silver / turn)
    14: Give Tzo'lin his sacrifice (specify any units to accompany Cinders) (costs 10 peasants, gains the mine +2 resources and +1 silver / turn)
    15: Release the automaton and follow it to the tundra and Ingvar's reunion (specify units)
    16: Muse quietly on your throne (effectively a turn skip)

Study selection:
    £: On the interactions of lavashaping with the wider inherent energies of the natural world, a study into previously forbidden aspects of the college [Improves lavashaping wizardry] (50 study)
    $: A treatise around the beast which lurks at the heart of the world, its unfathomable and terrible energies and how to effectively direct them [Improves summoning] (50 study)
    &: Dismemberment of the physical form and distillation of the dominant ethers within the autonomous construct gifted by the wizard Ingvar [Extract secrets from Ingvar's machine] (10 study) - Prevents following it to the tundra
    @: A discourse concerning cosmological systems: On the marvellous proportion of the celestial spheres and on the true and particular causes of the number, magnitude and periodic motions of the heavens [Improves foreseen wizardry] (50 study)
    %: The fundamental fields and energies concerned with the diametric opposition to lavashaping upon the great wheel [Improves rainbringing wizardy for Misty] (25 study)

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    That is a difficult choice, but honestly I don't think we are ever going to build that boat.

Despite all the misgivings I still feel going to Ingvar and demanding his help in assaulting Dorne would be a good idea. We have no idea if the other wizards were telling the truth or what he is really trying to accomplish.

D 15 (Smolderlings, vulcanus, all [2] militia(Glaivekin?), Runed Golem) £ - Mana - leave Misty and the skeletons to defend the city

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited January 2016
    How much study is the rainbringing research Mojo?

Build Shardforge, Attack Mine, Research Lavashaping

D 13(Skellingtons, Smoulderlings, Golem, Misty) £ Mana

I'd leave Ingvar alone for now -we can buy/marry for a boat. Taking out the mine gives us a few extra turns to summon/train/upgrade units.

I suppose that we have Ingvar on our map we could study his machine as we can find our own way to him - with exploration - although he might not be too happy about us tearing it up.

wilting on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    D 4 & +Fortune

edited January 2016
    D 13(Skeleton Warriors, Smoulderlings, Runed Golem, Misty) & Mana

To give us some breathing room with Drome. We can see what is happening with the war next turn and decide to throw our hat in with a side. We have the peasants to add a Militia next turn and with enough bonus mana we might be able to get another Smoulderling unit as well.

This combat will give us a decent jump on research so I figured we could do a quick breakdown of the golem.

edit: removed the militia since they wouldn't be upgraded in time.

Celebrim on
    wilting wrote: »
    How much study is the rainbringing research Mojo?

Well spotted. I've edited that in

D, 4, &, Fortune

I think we are all on the same page regarding the soulforge; finally get something to spend those resources on and upgrade units at the same time. Win, win.

I feel the opposite about Ingvar. I believe he is bad news. I think he's too smart to mess up. He intended to get outside the Weir, but to be the only Mage outside it. I think he'll do what he needs to get all of our shards, seal the Weir, but remain outside of it, able to draw power and dominate this land. Let's study his contraption, extra in-depth, and learn whatever we can about these beings. Perhaps, as we learned with Bonemancy, we can determine how to disable his creations in combat for if/when the time comes we need to face him.

With our normal +2 and the small chance of a +8 from the extra study, we may be able to study the thing in a single round.

Don't forget we get study from combat. I'm getting anxious that we do something about Tzo'lin.

(What are the bets our final confrontation will be against Nephroditi with a massive skeleton army of New Thett - Caldeot war dead?)

Mojo, if we build the Shardforge, will our Militia be Glaivekin in time for an attack the same turn or would we need to wait a turn?

I'm not opposed to attacking Tzo'lin, but if we're gonna upgrade our dudes, lets make sure the upgrade went through first.

edited January 2016
    I kinda want to keep our meat units out of any Tzo'lin fighting, lest they get absorbed, plus we need to leave somebody at home, times being as they are.

wilting on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    D 4 £ Fortune

• TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    D13(All but our Militia)£

D13(All but our Militia nor misty)& Misty is a bit fragile.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    D 3 £ Fortune

Huh... "+1 Husband"? Could we have more than one?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    I don't think we have the mana for 3 or 5.