As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Geocide

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Geocide

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Xenocide

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    What is this based on?

• Options
    UltimateifritUltimateifrit Registered User new member
    @Justiceforpluto Xenoblade chronicles X it looks like.

• Options
    SmellyTerrorSmellyTerror Registered User regular
    I always struggle with 1v1 games because it stresses me out to lose. Or even just to consider the possibility of losing. It's embarrassing, really - I'm not competitive, but losing a 1v1 feels like failing some kind of test. Like I was making some claim about my intelligence by clicking the launch button, and now I'v been called on it. Busted! You lied about your IQ. You suck as a human being. Hang your head in shame!

But Duelyst doesn't seem to trigger that feeling. I have no idea how or why, but it doesn't.

It's a weird thing to say about a game, but Duelyst is actually fun to lose.

Dark Iron: Mongoose, Gnome Warlock
    Deeply Afraid
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    To be fair? Those things probably made "first contact" first. Stupid aggro bunnies.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    I actually kind of regret not jumping on Xenoblade Chronicles X at launch. I've got other games to play, sure, but I guarantee none of them are as big or interesting.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    To be fair? Those things probably made "first contact" first. Stupid aggro bunnies.

Bunnies are small-time. You can't even trust the damn flowers on Mira.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Xenoblade Chronicles X is a little intimidating because of the poor tutorials and massive amounts of tooltips/options/menus. That said, I'm looking more and more to playing it as I grow increasingly upset by Fallout 4 bugs.

Also, Duelyst is neat, but I really just want a good game like this WITH a single player option beyond a handful of challenges. Give me a good story mode/campaign that rewards you with things.

Heavenstrike Rivals KIND of did this to an extent, but the gameplay was too basic to keep me interested and the story was only so-so.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Best defense is a good offense?

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow! Penny Arcade makes a comic about a game I actually play! It's been years. Decades, almost! =D

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I actually kind of regret not jumping on Xenoblade Chronicles X at launch. I've got other games to play, sure, but I guarantee none of them are as big or interesting.

I bought the game at launch, and haven't had much chance to play it. I should probably sit down and play more over the weekend.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Bunnies are small-time. You can't even trust the damn flowers on Mira.
    The numerous times I tried going around some high level things only for the rock I was trying to hide behind turn out to be a half buried giant turtle.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Is Lin's AI clever enough to run some kid of constantly on Auras with Cool Off to retain the TP before launching another one build if I max out her reflect and spike damage traits, or should I stick with some kind of long Topple build? I've got my Soul Voices set up the way I like, but I need to give more Miranium to the Arms Manufacturers so they can develop better augments for my ground gear. And I'm pretty lacking on my affinity chart. This is a big game... I'd maxed out the Bastion Warrior class route before I unlocked Overdrives!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I thought this was gonna be a comic about Geocities.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Showsni wrote: »
    Is Lin's AI clever enough to run some kid of constantly on Auras with Cool Off to retain the TP before launching another one build if I max out her reflect and spike damage traits, or should I stick with some kind of long Topple build? I've got my Soul Voices set up the way I like, but I need to give more Miranium to the Arms Manufacturers so they can develop better augments for my ground gear. And I'm pretty lacking on my affinity chart. This is a big game... I'd maxed out the Bastion Warrior class route before I unlocked Overdrives!

... ... ... ?

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    "Is Lin's AI clever enough to run some kind of build where she can constantly be using a self-stat buff by using Cool Off, a move that recovers the resources needed to use the self-buffs? I would be using equipment to increase a pair of traits that damage enemies who attack her.

Or rather, should I focus on giving her a build where she uses the 'topple' status ailment to prevent enemies from acting?

I have my in-battle Quick Time Event triggers set up such that they trigger for the moves I use. However, I need to gather a lot of the game's secondary currency in order to upgrade the equipment shops, and create accessories to boost the power of my armor and weapons. I also need to spend more time meeting NPCs and increasing my party members's social links.

This is a big game... By the time the game's story first introduced limit breaks, I had already mastered one of the six character classes for my main character."

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I thought this was gonna be a comic about Geocities.

Or Pokemon.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

All I can think of is this:
    gfs_50498_2_28.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »

Y...yes..?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The game stores information about every type of enemy you've fought, so clearly it's your duty as a Curator to murder everything in sight, just in case.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I now need to go get a WiiU to play this game, this comic makes it look just too awesome!

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    This comic, I liked

• Options
    PhilomoryPhilomory Registered User new member
    I really like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Like, a lot. That said, in some ways I like it's predecessor more. Both games have the feel of a blend between Japanese and Western RPGs, but they mix them in different proportions. As a long time fan of the Xeno series, I was a bit disappointed by how much they toned down some of the series's characteristic thematic elements. But in raw gameplay terms, I have to admit that X is probably superior.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What is this based on?

A time-shifted comic for when No Man's Sky comes out

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I now need to go get a WiiU to play this game, this comic makes it look just too awesome!

Why anyone would do this is... Aw, who am I kidding. Almost every console I own was due to a particular game being released. Great game, by the way, even if you're not a fan of JRPGs.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    What is this based on?

A time-shifted comic for when No Man's Sky Stellaris comes out

• Options
    bsctgod wrote: »

Why anyone would do this is... Aw, who am I kidding. Almost every console I own was due to a particular game being released. Great game, by the way, even if you're not a fan of JRPGs.

At least you aren't one of the people who buys consoles for games that are never actually released.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    I was promised more dog fucking, and this comic does not deliver. Was that just a New Year's thing? Mondays perhaps? I want to know so I can be prepared for some hot man-on-canine action.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

At least you aren't one of the people who buys consoles for games that are never actually released.

What console/game?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

What console/game?

Might be a PS4/Silent Hills reference, if I had to guess.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

What console/game?

PS3/The Last Guardian, actually, but it could be applied to a variety of things.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Gabe's predicament is very familiar.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DhalgrenDhalgren Registered User regular

What console/game?

PS3/The Last Guardian, actually, but it could be applied to a variety of things.

I think I'm going to be in this predicament with the Wii U. I bought it so that I'd be ready for the new Zelda. It's very much looking like the new Zelda will be coming out on the "NX." They might do a Twilight Princess type of release, but I'm the type of person that wants to play the latest games on the latest consoles...

• Options
    Dhalgren wrote: »

What console/game?

I think I'm going to be in this predicament with the Wii U. I bought it so that I'd be ready for the new Zelda. It's very much looking like the new Zelda will be coming out on the "NX." They might do a Twilight Princess type of release, but I'm the type of person that wants to play the latest games on the latest consoles...

I will be very happy when the game comes out. People have been saying "well obviously it's on the NX now" literally since the day it got delayed. I'll be happy to see that era end, one way or the other.

Anyway. The most recent announcements about it continue to peg it as a Wii U game. Let's hope they aren't lying, I guess is the current thinking?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Dhalgren wrote: »

What console/game?

I will be very happy when the game comes out. People have been saying "well obviously it's on the NX now" literally since the day it got delayed. I'll be happy to see that era end, one way or the other.

Anyway. The most recent announcements about it continue to peg it as a Wii U game. Let's hope they aren't lying, I guess is the current thinking?

Or they pull a Twilight Princess and release on both.