As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disc Golf] More than throwing frisbees at trees on campus

navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
Not to be confused with Ultimate Frisbee, it's DISC GOLF! Maybe you've seen it on Wii Sports Resort or noticed a course pop up in a park nearby. It is a growing sport with a minimal cost to try out as new discs can be had starting under $10 and many courses are free to play. So let us talk about it! Discs, courses, technique, trading, learning, or playing.

I have just over 2 years into the sport and own about 15 discs. The courses I've played are all located near Portland Oregon in the western side suburbs. There is even a 9 hole course within minutes of my work I can play on lunch.

If new and interested, start here http://www.dgcoursereview.com to see if any courses are nearby then post. I'd love to help a new player get started and avoid some early roadblocks in progression.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I used to play a couple times a week, but after moving, getting full time work and being lazy over the winter, I've pretty much stopped.

It is very fun, and pretty inexpensive. I should get back into it, and take advantage of the multiple courses in the area.

I've played on and off for 10 years.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I've been playing for 5-6 years now. Colorado has some good courses, but fewer than you'd expect; Boulder only has a single 9-hole course!

this summer I've been making a point to get out and toss once a week. my current favorite is Bird's Nest because it's a fair amount of hiking out in rough terrain, it's always empty, and no matter what the weather is doing in Denver out there in the shadow of the foothills it's pretty pleasant.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Awesome, some vets around.

Anyone nearby interested in some disc swapping? I have six or seven discs I don't throw much anymore and want to try out some putters.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I've played once, when visiting friends in Boulder. Seemed like it would be more fun to play after having had a little practice :)

• Options
    DinoFightDinoFight Registered User regular
    Do you call it "frolf?" Is that a thing people do?

www.kendallshammer.com/posts-2
  • Options
    It is not a thing I have heard people who play it call it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Not to be confused with Ultimate Frisbee, it's DISC GOLF! Maybe you've seen it on Wii Sports Resort or noticed a course pop up in a park nearby. It is a growing sport with a minimal cost to try out as new discs can be had starting under $10 and many courses are free to play. So let us talk about it! Discs, courses, technique, trading, learning, or playing.

I have just over 2 years into the sport and own about 15 discs. The courses I've played are all located near Portland Oregon in the western side suburbs. There is even a 9 hole course within minutes of my work I can play on lunch.

If new and interested, start here http://www.dgcoursereview.com to see if any courses are nearby then post. I'd love to help a new player get started and avoid some early roadblocks in progression.

It's pretty big here in North Carolina. That state has more than 70 courses, and new ones are being built all the time. I'm an amateur player, but I've got friends who are big into it. There are tournaments going on all the time here.

Castle Hayne in Wilmington is my favorite. They host several tournaments there. The designer is apparently The Guy in the world of disc design and has said its his favorite too.

• Options
    Like, pretty sure Castle Hayne I'd supposed to be amazing. I've been told about it by a few folk.