As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What would you do with...ONE BILLION DOLLARS?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Dex we both know you'd buy the wrestle factory

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

I heard dave lang made a girl cry at the wrestle factory

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I do wonder how possible it is to win that much money and have no one find out
    I'd be scared I'd have to move somewhere, or get body guards just to prevent getting me or my family from getting ransomed

But in less paranoid terms. Probably go on several week long vacations across the world, with various people that are my friends.
    Give a bunch of folks I know on minimum wage a cool $100,000.

Without worrying about money i could rededicate myself to my first love

fucking, just fucking as much as humanly possible

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think as long as you didn't tell anyone or outwardly change your spending habits, at least at first, you could keep it under wraps for a good while

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Buy those two super expensive metal gear models

Buy a decently sized but not ridiculous house + car

Hire an accountant for the rest and figure out the best way to make it continue to modestly grow because when we're talking about a billion dollars a modest rate of growth is plenty

Found a small game studio that hopefully becomes self-sustaining relatively quickly

Assuming it does, donate any and all investment returns on the initial winnings to charity

In fact, I could live off 500,000 dollars a year for the rest of my life so just consider the remaining ~$900 million to be there for charity work and the only reason it's not all given away immediately is because it can turn into more charity money if it's invested wisely

Speed Racer on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

i don't know that i would buy the wrestle factory outright, but i might try to buy into chikara as a silent partner tbh this is true

keep my hands off of booking and training, but like, see for myself if the rumors about carny dealings are true, and use my money to fix them if they ARE true, and also to make sure those wrestlers are paid better in general because no matter what they're making it isn't enough

chikara pro is, no matter what, very close to my heart, and that would feel to me like a good way to give back to an organization that has given me a great deal

Dex Dynamo on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    oh, also, just remembered, a sex dungeon

Dex Dynamo on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Buy an island, hook it up with internet, and never appear in public again.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Get assassinated

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I would spend so much money on f2p hentai flash games

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I can tell the one thing I would have if I had that money
    TIME
    And Freedom
    And that's sad that it gets both of those

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Buy some of that fancy pasta

You know, the stuff that's different colours

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I find it interesting that some folks have said "put it in a secure savings scheme and live modestly off the interest". 806 million dollars returning 1% interest per annum would be over 8 million dollars a year... Even if you only spend a quarter of that and put the rest back in the account, that's still 43 times the national average wage (in the USA).

And if you walk into a bank with a cheque for 806 million dollars and the manager says "the best interest rate I can give you is 1%", kill that bank manager because they intended to steal tens of millions of dollars from you every year.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Get assassinated

Ha ha, yep probably. Kidnapped, ransomed, and murdered.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Invest in medical tech and bioengineering (smart crops and such) with the ultimate goal of having plenty of cheap or free health care and food for everyone on the planet

Of course this would result in further population growth and overcrowding so I'd also have to chuck some towards space colonization efforts

As god is my witness I will turn us into the healthy, well fed, long lived, spacefaring supermen we were always meant to be

Future, wealthy GG.

latest?cb=20130316184817

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd probably go full on super-villain.

I mean the only thing holding me back has been resources.

I'd buy a nice island out of the path of worrisome weather, start fortifying it and invest the money to financially live off it while also profiting from gains in science/military advancements.

I'd probably start buying some politicians.

Be livin' the dream.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Get assassinated

Ha ha, yep probably. Kidnapped, ransomed, and murdered.

that's why I would not tell anyone and try to turn it in anonymous and go to ground as fast as I can because I would not trust this state to keep it a secret if asked

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    two wieners

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Buy the apartment two floors above my own.
    Rig it with remote controls so I can drop a bowling ball on the floor whenever I want.

Finally get revenge on the people who live in the apartment directly above my own.

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    It's a poorly worded Trump joke.

No, that's called a reference.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I would also reserve that one room at Disney in Cinderellas Castle and just live at the park for a year

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I would invest 90% of it and then take a million or so abd help my friends/family with their personal debts and issues then invest in local charities

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hookers and blow. And a Caterham. And a house to keep it in someplace close to a curvy road. And I'd need new luggage to go around the world.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    A lot of canadians are apparently using third party websites to buy powerball tickets.

I just couldn't do it. Even if the 1/292M odds picked me, I would view the chance that the third party intermediary wouldn't just take the money/ticket and disappear as even worse odds.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Buy some electric boots and a mohair suit.

You know I read it in a magazine

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'd spend part of the money outbidding shitbags like that Shkreli dude on medicines and things that are important.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Pay off my parents house and set them up for life with a trust. Put the rest in trusts and funds per however is recommended at the time by an actual accounting firm/lawyer. Then i would go back to school for just such a field but I would still keep the accounting firm when i got out if they were doing a good job. Only then would i spend more money than i usually do. And I would buy land, lots of land. Go full ted turner.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Hire an accountant

Close!

I'd buy a law firm. Then an accounting firm.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fund a dinosaur park
    Invite people I don't like
    Stage an "accidental" failure of security systems
    Eat popcorn

edited January 2016
    Fund a series of mid range (30-60 million dollar) films staring predominantly minority casts

become a better Tyler Perry

NeoToma on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Open my own music Studio

I would totally do movies. I would actually have time to sit and write. Hell I could even hire other writers.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'd probably go full on super-villain.

I mean the only thing holding me back has been resources.

I'd buy a nice island out of the path of worrisome weather, start fortifying it and invest the money to financially live off it while also profiting from gains in science/military advancements.

I'd probably start buying some politicians.

Be livin' the dream.

Let me know if you need henchmen and you're willing to provide full benefits.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Travel the world.

Build a Gundam.

Travel the world in my Gundam.

I dunno, all that smart stuff like invest it or donate portions of it, I hadn't really thought of it. Take care of my Mom, dunno about the rest of my family. Build a fortress. maybe Groundhog Day this shit and finally play all my video games, learn some languages, learn some instruments.

Probably invest way too much into kickstarters.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh I did think of one super extravagant thing I would buy if I had a billion dollars.

One of the spare War Rigs from Mad Max off of George Miller. He's gotta know where they are, right?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Maybe look into what would be involved in hiring lobbyists to hassle congress about things like transgender rights 'n undoing citizens United and whatnot

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'd hire lobbyists to bother politicians about lobbyists

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Build a replica of Serenity.

Live there.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I am seeing a worrying lack of explosions here.

Except @Zonugal, good job.

sig.gif