As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South Guide - Plan A Better PAX South Trip

macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
PAX South Guide

This is an unofficial PAX South guide site I’ve put together with the goal of helping folks plan a better trip to PAX South, whether they are returning or this is their first year. The site goes over many of the same topics in the Q&A thread on the PAX South forum, but in more detail.

As the site is new I’m open to your feedback, either here or by clicking on the “Feedback” link on the site’s front page. I have a few more topics I'm hoping to get done before PAX South is upon us. Thanks for checking it out.

• Options
    PurichanPurichan Registered User new member
    Wow, really impressive and comprehensive guide! I went to PAX South last year and have been to a handful of smaller cons but I love going over this stuff to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be. I really like the mentioning of not blocking space in the expo hall for cosplay photos. I was in cosplay for a fair amount of time last year and tons of people wanted my picture in the expo hall but I think I did a good job of moving to less crowded areas before I would give them permission to take a photo.

The only thing I would recommend adding to your list is to take some immunity boosters prior to and during your visit to PAX. Most folks that haven't gone to a con before don't know about the 'con cold' and it never fails that I get a cold after (or during!) a weekend of being at a con. Tens of thousands of people funneling through one area sharing air and controllers and cards and all sorts of stuff is a recipe for disaster. I personally use and recommend Zicam; it's homeopathic and if you get the dissolvable tab they're actually quite good. It has helped minimize my downtime and keep my spirits up when I do get sick. I've tried others things like Airborne and Emergen-C but they don't seem to be quite as effective as Zicam for me personally.

• Options
    PAXisdopePAXisdope Registered User regular
    Wow, this is awesome.

• Options
    Purichan wrote: »
    Wow, really impressive and comprehensive guide! I went to PAX South last year and have been to a handful of smaller cons but I love going over this stuff to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be. I really like the mentioning of not blocking space in the expo hall for cosplay photos. I was in cosplay for a fair amount of time last year and tons of people wanted my picture in the expo hall but I think I did a good job of moving to less crowded areas before I would give them permission to take a photo.

The only thing I would recommend adding to your list is to take some immunity boosters prior to and during your visit to PAX. Most folks that haven't gone to a con before don't know about the 'con cold' and it never fails that I get a cold after (or during!) a weekend of being at a con. Tens of thousands of people funneling through one area sharing air and controllers and cards and all sorts of stuff is a recipe for disaster. I personally use and recommend Zicam; it's homeopathic and if you get the dissolvable tab they're actually quite good. It has helped minimize my downtime and keep my spirits up when I do get sick. I've tried others things like Airborne and Emergen-C but they don't seem to be quite as effective as Zicam for me personally.

Thanks, glad you're liking it. The not stopping for photos in the Expo Hall is a new rule PAX implemented at Prime this year, I'm just helping spread the word. I have some notes about going over "con crud," I'll see if I can get that done soon. I personally take vitamin C pills a few days before and after I fly to help with the same thing, but as you said different things work for different people.

• Options
    DevierueDevierue Registered User regular
    Your guide is great for getting first-timers started. Well done!

I will say, though, that people should bring their own personal hand sanitizer if possible. There are bottles that can clip on to a backpack like any other keychain, making it possible to be carried without taking up precious cargo room (or leaking all over your loots). I don't remember seeing many sanitizer stations at South last year, but I didn't really bother to look since I had my own.

A couple of other thoughts:

- Consider gel insoles for your shoes, especially if you're not used to being on your feet all day. I noticed several people changing socks about mid-day at the convention center, which is also a good idea as socks are light and (as you mentioned) walking around the Riverwalk in January can result in wet feet.

- Look up the convention center on Google Maps and take a look around on your own. So many people seem to arrive in SA having absolutely no idea where to go or how to get there, relying on navigating on the fly or asking around. While that's valid, having a reference of the general vicinity in your head can help you navigate safely. There are plenty of landmarks to help.

- Be kind to the Convention Center staff. A smile and quick "Thanks!" goes a long way. Yes, stopping for frequent badge checks/cosplay weapon checks can be annoying when there's so much to see and do, but their efforts help the event flow smoothly and keep us all a little safer. Keep the eyerolls and dramatic sighs to a minimum, please. This goes for your interactions with our incredible Enforcers, too.

- You can find cheap plastic ponchos for about $1 at just about any supermarket. They're compact, ultralight and surprisingly useful in sudden downpours -- even if you end up soaked, you can wrap your backpack and save your expensive electronics/awesome merch from a watery death!

- THIS IS YOUR TRIBE. While we're all special individual snowflakes, we are all here to celebrate our similar joys. Don't be afraid to reach out to a stranger, to strike up a conversation where you'd normally be silent. Ask questions, laugh freely, play games with strangers. These are your people and most will be your friend if you show any inclination. That said...

-Print up a handful of business cards with whatever contact information you care to give out: Name, e-mail, website, Facebook, Twitter, Steam, etc. People can stash it with their other loot and add you to their lists later. Handing someone a physical item (doesn't have to be fancy) can help spark the memory of a specific person after three days of wading through seas of faces.

Finally, just for emphasis: Wheaton's Law. Don't be a dick.

• Options
    I've added a section on con crud, per suggestions from Purichan and Devierue. Thanks you two for the feedback.

http://paxsouth.macbitt.com/con-crud/

• Options
    BailieBailie Registered User regular
    What is the alcohol policy at PAX south? Usually at quakecon everyone knows people are drinking, but you just put it in another bottle or something. Or do the police ticket people for that because I think its technically illegal.

Nice guide by the way

• Options
    Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    Bailie wrote: »
    What is the alcohol policy at PAX south? Usually at quakecon everyone knows people are drinking, but you just put it in another bottle or something. Or do the police ticket people for that because I think its technically illegal.

Nice guide by the way

I've only done Prime twice and honestly never noticed much drinking on site, even on the down low. Now that isn't to say I wasn't offered a flask or two over a game of Munchkin, but it didn't seem a big thing

• Options
    Bailie wrote: »

Nice guide by the way

I've never seen a PAX rule about it one way or another. The convention center similarly doesn't post any rules on it, though I see mention that they do allow events which serve alcohol. The food/drink venders in the convention center did not offer alcohol at last year's PAX South. To add to your concerns Texas has weird and varied laws concerning alcohol, some of which aren't by county or city but by "juridical zones" (part of Dallas is dry, part is wet).

I would offer this advise: Save the drinking for after hours, whether bar hoping, at a party, or playing games in the hotel lobby. There are a number of drawbacks to drinking at the con, including dehydration and lowering your immune response in an area filled with tens of thousands of potential disease carriers (no offense, everyone). I would also avoid drinking outside, as you're more likely have a run in with the police there verses in a bar or your hotel.

Glad you liked the guide, thanks.

• Options
    PAXisdopePAXisdope Registered User regular
    I'll be tipsy throughout the whole weekend honestly.

• Options
    Delacroix01Delacroix01 Registered User regular
    This was amazing! This is my fist Pax and the only other conventions I've been to have been SXSW and TMEA so it's awesome to see a guide for such a fun expo!

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    Very awesome guide. It takes all the things I would be researching separately on my own, and combines it into one site.
    The only (very minor) thing I would add to the DS section is if you are doing a lot of streetpassing, or other activities, you'll want to turn your brightness down and/or get a usb charge cable to go with your battery: http://amzn.com/B0024ZT3XO

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    ahstoddard wrote: »
    Very awesome guide. It takes all the things I would be researching separately on my own, and combines it into one site.
    The only (very minor) thing I would add to the DS section is if you are doing a lot of streetpassing, or other activities, you'll want to turn your brightness down and/or get a usb charge cable to go with your battery: http://amzn.com/B0024ZT3XO

The handheld area has chargers for your handhelds if it needs a mid day top up.

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    StinkyTurd wrote: »

Ah, I didn't know that, thank you. I never actually stopped by last year, just went through all my passes and played a little while in line and had to charge near the end of the day.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    PAXisdope wrote: »
    I'll be tipsy throughout the whole weekend honestly.

Just a head's up, on the letter going out with badges (the first of them are showing up today) it is stated that there will be a new bag check at PAX South, like what they do at PAX East. The PAX East checks are for dangerous items, but just be aware.
    Very awesome guide. It takes all the things I would be researching separately on my own, and combines it into one site. The only (very minor) thing I would add to the DS section is if you are doing a lot of streetpassing, or other activities, you'll want to turn your brightness down and/or get a usb charge cable to go with your battery: http://amzn.com/B0024ZT3XO

Thanks. I'll add both those tips on the next page update. I have one of those DS charge cables, but last year I didn't have a DS battery issue and want to save my smaller USB battery for my phone, so leaving mine in the hotel.

Great to know, I'll add that bit as well. Thanks.

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Nice guide for first-timers.

Since you go to the trouble of describing the crosswalk sounds, I suggest adding an additional note about how a couple of them work. Some of the major intersections right next to the convention center have crosswalks that do not alternate like traditional ones. Instead, there is a longer wait and then all four lights go red, stopping all traffic. Then all crosswalks engage, allowing foot traffic. If people are just arriving on their first day, bleary-eyed in the morning, this can throw them off if they have to cross twice. If you are a fast walker, you can legally cross two corners (say, west-to-east and then north-to-south) by sticking to the crosswalks before the "Don't Walk" pops back up.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Drinking at PAX is a terrible idea, honestly, even if it isn't technically against the rules (and it probably is). Being buzzed or tipsy or even drunk takes certain things away from an experience and replaces it with the experience of being intoxicated.

Better to drink at a bar after the floor closes with some people you trust, and certainly not in a huge crowd of people.

• Options
    PurichanPurichan Registered User new member
    edited January 2016
    macbitt wrote: »
    I've added a section on con crud, per suggestions from Purichan and Devierue. Thanks you two for the feedback.

Awesome right up, I had never heard of the H1Nerd1 outbreak at Prime...in hindsight it's pretty funny. XD Btw I don't think your link to that Wired.com story coded right, if I copy the link it comes out as a sentence and not a URL.

Purichan on
  • Options
    Purichan wrote: »
    macbitt wrote: »

Awesome right up, I had never heard of the H1Nerd1 outbreak at Prime...in hindsight it's pretty funny. XD Btw I don't think your link to that Wired.com story coded right, if I copy the link it comes out as a sentence and not a URL.

Fixed the link, thanks.

• Options
    Any plans to add information for area parties?

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    Any plans to add information for area parties?

Not currently. There's @paxparties for tracking during the weekend. Some of the party details aren't known until that weekend, and I won't be updating the site while at PAX (the site is designed as a planning tool, then you switch over to Guidebook and Twitter for live updates).

• Options

Updated the Nintendo DS page with y'alls suggestions. Thanks.

• Options
    japester wrote: »
    Nice guide for first-timers.

Since you go to the trouble of describing the crosswalk sounds, I suggest adding an additional note about how a couple of them work. Some of the major intersections right next to the convention center have crosswalks that do not alternate like traditional ones. Instead, there is a longer wait and then all four lights go red, stopping all traffic. Then all crosswalks engage, allowing foot traffic. If people are just arriving on their first day, bleary-eyed in the morning, this can throw them off if they have to cross twice. If you are a fast walker, you can legally cross two corners (say, west-to-east and then north-to-south) by sticking to the crosswalks before the "Don't Walk" pops back up.

Done. Thanks for the feedback.

• Options
    New section of the guide is up, this one helping our first timers on what they’ll experience at PAX (as much as any written guide can vs experiencing it) and how to enjoy the ride.

http://paxsouth.macbitt.com/enjoying-pax/

• Options
    Last Minute Tips

http://paxguides.com/2016/01/last-minute-pax-south-tips/

This is my last update before PAX South begins. After San Antonio I will begin work on a PAX East guide.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know I mentioned it in another thread, but it would be awesome if some of the constant info made it to the community wiki at some point. It needs some more love.