As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• japesterjapester Registered User regular
    As a local who has traveled quite a bit, I'd like to reassure people that San Antonio is a fairly tiny city, and your destination (Riverwalk/Convention Center/Downtown) is pretty much the only "downtown" there is. There is almost zero chance you will be taken to the wrong part of the city. And even if you end up on the wrong side of the tourist district from wherever your hotel is, you can generally walk across the entire area in 10-15 minutes. Likewise, the airport is rather close by. It is essentially a straight shot south less than 10 miles to reach the convention center itself. An experienced driver might take you slightly out of the way to avoid some rush hour traffic, but for the most part you will drive straight there.

Switching gears (no pun intended), I have a question about the posted schedule. I don't see any mention of Gearbox. Last year they moved their annual community event to PAX South, but they appear to me MIA this year. Is this true? Or am I missing something?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would think you'd have to contact Gearbox to find out for sure. It's possible they have an event planned at a booth or something like that, which wouldn't show up in the schedule.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    japester wrote: »
    Switching gears (no pun intended), I have a question about the posted schedule. I don't see any mention of Gearbox. Last year they moved their annual community event to PAX South, but they appear to me MIA this year. Is this true? Or am I missing something?
    In addition to what zerzhul said, the schedule is always a work in progress until the show is over. Things may get added or removed, some bits might still be in the works for scheduling. We try to strike a balance on posting it when we have most of the content locked down. So double check the times\dates on anything you want to see just before the show.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Only_TrinityOnly_Trinity Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, is there anyway to get a list of all the booths that will be in the Expo Hall sometime before the event?

Out of curiosity, is there anyway to get a list of all the booths that will be in the Expo Hall sometime before the event?
    That will be available when the mobile app is released, which will be before the event, usually a few weeks ahead.

• MidanMidan Registered User regular
    I have a question about lining up for panels. For panels that start in the morning 10-11 is there a separate line to line up for them or do we get into the main line for the expo hall then just book it to the panel as fast as we can when the expo hall opens?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Midan wrote: »
    I have a question about lining up for panels. For panels that start in the morning 10-11 is there a separate line to line up for them or do we get into the main line for the expo hall then just book it to the panel as fast as we can when the expo hall opens?

The former. Line up outside your respective theater (the program should have a map as to how the theater queues run, but worst case, head there and ask a nearby Enforcer) in the morning.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • MidanMidan Registered User regular
    Thanks! Do you know about how early they will let you start lining up for panels? Last year was my first pax and I did not realize the jewel that was panels but this year I want to make sure I don't miss any of the ones I want to see. :)

• VolkertronVolkertron Registered User new member
    What are the odds that a tournament not currently on the PAX South Schedule will be added before the event? I'd love to play in a Super Smash Brothers WiiU tourney like the one that was hosted last year, but I do not see it on the schedule. Is there anyone else out there interested in this or am I the only one? Should I just sit tight and watch the schedule and see if it updates?

thanks in advance! Im excited to attend this year.

Tournaments often get added later in the period before PAX, but it's really hard to tell for sure. I'm sure there are others interested in SSB

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Thanks! Do you know about how early they will let you start lining up for panels? Last year was my first pax and I did not realize the jewel that was panels but this year I want to make sure I don't miss any of the ones I want to see. :)

The general rule is you cannot line up for a panel until the previous panel's line has been let into the theatre. So if panel A starts at 10am and panel B starts at 11:30am, you won't be able to line up for panel B until around 10am when panel A's line goes in and sits down.

Also, as another general rule the theatres are completely cleared out between panels. If you went to panel A you coudn't keep your seat and stay to watch panel B. You'd need to leave the theatre and get in the back of the line for B.

There are occasionally exceptions, usually around main theatre content.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Thanks! Do you know about how early they will let you start lining up for panels?

In addition to what @Aioua said, for the first panel of the day you should be able to line up at that theater once they let you into the building. Although if you line up before any enforcers that manage the room get there you may be lining up in the wrong spot, so check with them when you see them.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • avawhat231avawhat231 Registered User new member
    What famous people will be there?

avawhat231 wrote: »
    What famous people will be there?
    The schedule is posted, so you can take a look through that to find panelists you're interested in. Fame is, of course, relative.

• RaremilkRaremilk Registered User regular
    Have anyone who reserved through Onpeak gotten their deposit charged yet? I keep checking my credit card statement and I'm not receiving a charge for the hotel I booked.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've never had my card charged until I actually got to the hotel and I've done hotels through OnPeak for basically all PAXen.

whypick1 wrote: »
    I've never had my card charged until I actually got to the hotel and I've done hotels through OnPeak for basically all PAXen.

That makes me feel extremely relieved...I was afraid there was some technical issue and my booking was invalid or something. I was afraid I lost my room, and was frantically trying to call Hilton to see if my room was still reserved lol

• PreacherChePreacherChe Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    When is the Guidebook going to be added? I've had the Guidebook app installed since the schedule came out last month, and there hasn't been a guide for 2016, yet. I used the heck out of the Guidebook, last year.

PreacherChe on
    f71belxn5ee5.png
    When is the Guidebook going to be added? I've had the Guidebook app installed since the schedule came out last month, and there hasn't been a guide for 2016, yet. I used the heck out of the Guidebook, last year.
    Sometime between now and PAX ;)

I will guess within about a week or so.

• CoGDorkCoGDork Registered User new member
    Will there be a Rock Band stage this year?

• 52max52max Registered User regular
    What version of Tetris is needed for the 3DS tournament on Friday?

CoGDork wrote: »
    Will there be a Rock Band stage this year?
    It looks like the answer is no, based on what I have seen in Guidebook. Jackbox and Dance stages it appears.

• shepdshepd Registered User regular
    How quickly does the parking fill up? I notice unlike PAX East, this convention centre doesn't have its own parking, but rather relies on the hotel. At their pricing, I'd rather walk up to a half hour, so I probably won't park there. There appears to be city parking across the street. What's the latest you can get there on Friday (or, saturday/sunday if they fill up earlier) and still expect to get a parking spot?

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    Last year, I parked at the Tower of the Americas, which I think was 11$ for the day.

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    How quickly does the parking fill up?

Last year, I rolled in with some friends at around 2 and got a spot in the Rivercenter garage no problem.

• AirconditionerAirconditioner I'm cool MexicoRegistered User new member
    How do commissions and or sketches work for the artists that have a booth there (StripSearch, PVP etc)?

Do they have a fixed rate? Can you ask for anything? Do they draw it and the line behind waits after they are done or do you request it, leave and come back for it?

I'm a PAX noob :bigfrown:

I'm cool
  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Okay, so I notice that Table Top gaming is a big focus of PAX South. Now, sorry is this is a dumb question, but I am curious: will there be gaming sessions set up by the various companies or whoever where people can come play them? I have never really played any table top gaming before, but I would be really curious to try it. :3 Even things like Catan.

Also, does anyone know if ther will be arcade and freeplay rooms?

shepd wrote: »
    How quickly does the parking fill up?

The hotel and the lot directly across the street can fill up really fast. Just depends on what else is going on downtown. Luckily, there is tons of parking within a 10 minute walk. No way you'll have to park any farther than that, regardless of how late you show up.

If the closest lots are full, and you have any reservations about walking to your vehicle late at night, I personally like the Riverbend Garage. Just a few minute walk, I've never seen it full, and it has a police substation right in it's base. We have a very safe downtown, but some people feel better seeing officers right there on the street. 8-)

edited January 2016
    How do commissions and or sketches work for the artists that have a booth there (StripSearch, PVP etc)?

Do they have a fixed rate? Can you ask for anything? Do they draw it and the line behind waits after they are done or do you request it, leave and come back for it?

I'm a PAX noob :bigfrown:

It is entirely up to the individual as to what they charge. I would err on the side of quick sketches that can be done on the spot, simply because there may be quite a line behind you.
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Okay, so I notice that Table Top gaming is a big focus of PAX South. Now, sorry is this is a dumb question, but I am curious: will there be gaming sessions set up by the various companies or whoever where people can come play them? I have never really played any table top gaming before, but I would be really curious to try it. :3 Even things like Catan.

There are quite a few TT vendors that come by and have their own play areas for their games. I know that Mayfair (Catan), Greater Than Games (Sentinels of the Multiverse) and Steve Jackson (Munchkin) have had strong presences at prior PAXen.

There is a Classic Arcade room, along with the usual PC/Console/TT/handheld freeplay areas.

whypick1 on
  • DoctorbatmanDoctorbatman Registered User regular
    I've looked over the weapon policy and I haven't seen it listed, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be an oversight. I want to make a two-handed maul out of wood. Would I be turned away for bringing that? I know it wouldn't be sharp but it would be heavy and I don't want to put the work in if it would be viewed as a threatening object.

• pbpanchopbpancho Registered User new member

Fantasy Flight Games will be on hand, demoing X-Wing and Android: Netrunner. We'll have a bunch of our games in the tabletop library as well.

Ordered my tickets early October, moved residence and I believe the tickets are at the old house...can a simple email fix my situation?

Raremilk wrote: »
    Ordered my tickets early October, moved residence and I believe the tickets are at the old house...can a simple email fix my situation?

That would be the best course of action. Most likely they will tell you that you will need to pick up replacements at Will Call.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular

besides vendors who do demos, there are good number of people in the freeplay area willing to teach newbies. I've taught people how to play a game before when i was looking for more players.

DanQ wrote: »
    besides vendors who do demos, there are good number of people in the freeplay area willing to teach newbies. I've taught people how to play a game before when i was looking for more players.

This. Big time.

Besides the official stuff (like sponsored demos and vendor demo areas) and the official PAX stuff (like the lending area), tabletop games can develop organically. Almost anywhere. Trick is to keep your eyes open. The universal symbol for "Hey! We are looking for more players and anyone is welcome!" is a game's box top propped up vertically. If you see that, feel free to walk up and ask about the game. If it sounds interesting, you can let them know you don't know the rules yet and ask to join. Simple as that.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Apparently the 2016 Guidebook app is up for Android, but the App Store still only has the 2015 version.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    I've looked over the weapon policy and I haven't seen it listed, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be an oversight. I want to make a two-handed maul out of wood. Would I be turned away for bringing that? I know it wouldn't be sharp but it would be heavy and I don't want to put the work in if it would be viewed as a threatening object.

As of right now blunt weapons are not against the PAX rules. If you swing it and cause a problem though of course we will act appropriately. But as long as you are responsible with it, you will not be turned away by PAX. I cant comment on what the local police might think about it.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    I am pretty sure it would be fine as long as you aren't brandishing it unsafely. I don't believe any heavy objects have been disallowed due to being heavy.

• MagthidonMagthidon Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    General Stuff (top)
    I didn’t receive my PAX Badges in the Mail!! What do I do?
    If you live outside of the US, or you purchased your pass after the cut off date for badges to be mailed, you will need to pick up your badge at Will Call using your paper ticket with the Bar Code on it AND a valid piece of photo ID. If your badge really is lost in the mail, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

When exactly was the cut off date and where would I get my paper ticket from?

edited January 2016
    Sorry, I should update that section. it's not a paper ticket with a barcode anymore! That's definitely outdated.

You would bring a printout of your confirmation email to Will Call, or your confirmation email on a mobile device so you can show it to the will call staff if necessary. You will also still need a photo ID that matches the name that purchased the passes.

I am trying to find out the cutoff date now.

zerzhul on
This discussion has been closed.