As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformer to run a US Kenwood KR-4140 receiver in the UK

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
I bought my father a replacement KR-4140 from 1970 for christmas. However, the new one is a US model, and thus runs off 110v mains rather than 240V (we're in the UK).

What is the correct rating for the transformer?

I picked up a 200W rated goldsource transformer (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldsource-STU-200-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022TMB9A) at first, on the basis the receiver says this on the back:

110-120V, 50/60hz

120W

it has a 2A fuse which did not blow when I plugged it in to the transformer.

Neither did the fuse in the transformer blow, yet nothing happens when I turn it on. The seller assures me it was working just before he shipped it.

Any insight?

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Are you sure all the fuses are still good? Is the input voltage set correctly? If you set the input voltage to 240V and plug something into the 240V output does it work?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Are you sure all the fuses are still good? Is the input voltage set correctly? If you set the input voltage to 240V and plug something into the 240V output does it work?

Jumper on input voltage is at 240V, uk mains, and the fuses are both good.

In fact we found out that the core problem was that the bulb on the am/fm display appears to be broken, and thus it was actually working but just not lighting up!

However, one of the stereo channels is fucked. I am wondering if both of those things might be symptoms of being underpowered, but it has approached the point at which I am considering saying fuck it and just replacing it with something less old and fiddly.

obF2Wuw.png