As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where are the Big Guys?

TSoul19TSoul19 twitch.tv/soulygamingRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in PAX South
I saw what look to be the guide of everything that will be at Pax South this year and I'm a little disappointed it what I saw. Why is it that PAX gets major games for East and Prime but, when South comes along, none of the big guys show up? I mean we are only a couple months from the release of games like Ubisoft's "The Division" & "Far Cry Primal", EA "PVZ MW2", Naughty Dog "Uncharted 4" Then games like "Hitman", "Quantum Break", "Dark Souls 3", "Battleborn" and "Overwatch" are also going to be released in the next couple months! I bet you anything 75% if not all of these game will be at Pax East, so why can't they come to South? I feel like if Pax South doesn't start bringing the big guys, no one is going to want to come. Don't get me wrong I love the small indie games, but I good % of gamers could care less about them. I don't want to lose Pax South from Texas! It is a hour away from where I live, so it is the only Pax I have a chance of going to. Please Pax do something to bring major titles to South!

TSoul19 on

• ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    Part of it could just be that this is still the "new PAX" so companies are watching to see how it goes. I would also imagine that next year, once the massive construction project around the convention center is done, that there may be one or two larger setups if PAX expands to a larger footprint.

B2YfFSb.png
  • ArcharzelArcharzel Registered User regular
    Pax South was very much Pax Indie last year. Personally, I'm hoping it (mostly) stays that way, there are a lot of interesting things going on with the smaller game companies. The PA crew have been rather adamant about Pax South's venue being set in stone (the place is huge, we were using like 1/4 of it last year. Hell, there was another convention going on in it while it was happening and no one noticed.) Pax South is here to stay, who cares about the big guys, I'd love for this to be the lazy relaxed Pax.

• dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    I think once PAX South gets bigger and more recognized then more publishers and developers will show up i.e. the big dogs. The timing of the convention doesn't really help either since January is right after year end after all the big games released in the fall. You have listed plenty that come after but the release dates make more sense to show them off at East since some of the titles are still several months out. I think Prime is recognized as the biggest gaming convention on the West Coast that is open to the public so it makes sense that a lot of publishers show up. It also comes after E3 which is a bonus because games revealed at E3 tend to show up at Prime. There are also more devs in Seattle and the flight from California isn't that bad either.

South just isn't there yet. I am actually attending South this year for the first time and I too am a bit disappointed with the showing of exhibitors since I am so used to Prime. We will see how it goes though. It might be a nice change to attend a smaller convention.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • alansmith52alansmith52 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    heres who i don't see on that list, alienware, razer, riot, blizzard, msft, sony, corsair, gearbox, 2k, wizards of the coast, intel,......
    I am real sad all of the sudden.

alansmith52 on
  • TSoul19TSoul19 twitch.tv/soulygamingRegistered User regular
    I loved all the Indie games that were at South last year, but most of those game I listed are going to be release right after South and before East. PVZ MW2, Far Cry Primal. The Division, and Hitman will all be releaased in Feburary or March, while Quantum Break and Dark Souls will be released in April before East. So why not bring your games to try and get those on the fence about the game a chance to play them and hype them up more!? I know the Convention Center was and still is under construction, and I believe it can only get bigger and better. I when last year and couldn't believe the amount of space that was going to waste.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I don't see the exhibitor map posted yet so I'm not sure where you're looking.
    heres who i don't see on that list, alienware, razer, riot, blizzard, msft, sony, corsair, gearbox, 2k, wizards of the coast, intel,......

Riot doesn't go to any of the PAXes anymore. Intel might not have a booth but they will definitely be there as they are a major supporter of PC Freeplay and BYOC.

row1.pngrow2.png
    theres another thread called "detailed exhibitors list". what are we gonna do if were not going around getting free awesome stuff form the makers we love and peripherals we love??

i am kidding i know theres more to do,,,,,,,, but that stuff is/ ... was awesome

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am thoroughly enjoying the lack of huge name developers at this PAX.

• ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular

According to: https://guidebook.com/guide/54720/list/217817/
    Alienware and Intel will be there

Plus Big Fish Games will be there, so I don't know why anyone would complain.

B2YfFSb.png
  • wag1987wag1987 Registered User new member
    I'm sort of disappointed that nintendo is sitting out this year.

• gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    wag1987 wrote: »

It isn't as if they had a huge show-stopping booth last year though. There was what: 12 of the new 3DS playing the Majora's Mask demo?

Yeah Nintendo really didn't show much last year. I just hope there is 3 days work of stuff to see and play, last year I played everything in a day and a half.

The Only panels I want to see is, Loot Crate, Twitch Town Hall, and maybe Dropped Frames on Friday,and then "Streaming Your Business" on Sunday. Most of the panels deal with stuff that I don't care for.

• macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    gunadic wrote: »

It isn't as if they had a huge show-stopping booth last year though. There was what: 12 of the new 3DS playing the Majora's Mask demo?

Intel also wasn't quite there last year, it was more of an outsourced booth. With AMD there this year hopefully Intel will be more involved.

• wag1987wag1987 Registered User new member
    gunadic wrote: »

I guess I enjoyed getting to try out the new 3ds to see if it was worth the upgrade. I was also hoping that they would come in with more heavy hitting stuff as it would be year two for South and there were so many more tickets sold. My fault for being naive I guess :)

I don't think it's naive, it's likely more the timing of the show on the calendar than anything else.

I do actually hope that this stays more of an indie and TT focused PAX, if it can succeed that way.

indie guys don't have anything to give a way much,,, skins, keys t shirts thats the swag that makes pax awesome

• DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    Anyone having trouble finding the 2016 PAX South app? I can't find it on Apple app store, just the 2015 one. I've also downloaded the Guidebook app and searched for 2016 PAX South in the app itself. No dice.

T-shirt saturation is real. No hordes of people screaming to get a t-shirt? Another check in the win column for South ;)

sounds like well make the best of it

indeed

• village alchemistvillage alchemist Library Lurker Collegetown, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't see the exhibitor map posted yet so I'm not sure where you're looking.

Riot doesn't go to any of the PAXes anymore. Intel might not have a booth but they will definitely be there as they are a major supporter of PC Freeplay and BYOC.

really? when did Riot stop going? because they were at South last year.

• FlyingTurtleFlyingTurtle Registered User regular
    Well Capcom is kind of big and they will be there at least.

• Farside87Farside87 Registered User new member
    I wonder how many 3 day badge people looked at the schedule like I did and said "well f***..." Eh, oh well I said I would give it another try so guess that's the risk you take with pre-purchasing. I feel like most of the pre-order gamers that sink money into a games and when it comes out its crap cause the marketing team put so much stress on the publisher who then put that pressure on the development team who then becomes impotent from all the stress and doesn't produce, guess Ubisoft and EA should have taught me that lesson. Thanks a lot Obama.

P.S. Anyone know if cloud imperium games is going to have another event like last year?

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    For the record: I'm kinda a big guy and I'll be there :P

khd33hubozxv.png
  • macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Anyone having trouble finding the 2016 PAX South app? I can't find it on Apple app store, just the 2015 one. I've also downloaded the Guidebook app and searched for 2016 PAX South in the app itself. No dice.

2016 for mobile isn't out yet, just for web. I have a write up with details here:
    http://paxsouth.macbitt.com/guidebook

• Bartoni33Bartoni33 Southern IllinoisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Farside87 wrote: »
    I wonder how many 3 day badge people looked at the schedule like I did and said "well f***..." Eh, oh well I said I would give it another try so guess that's the risk you take with pre-purchasing.

P.S. Anyone know if cloud imperium games is going to have another event like last year?

Yep that is exactly the same way I am feeling right now. :(

I was very disappointed last year because I was expecting the same type of PAX as all the other ones I have been hearing about for years. The "big name" presence was just not there compared to other PAX's. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought "well it was the first year, next year will be different". It looks IMHO like their will be less presence this year.

The following opinion will undoubtedly be VERY unpopular here but it needs to be suggested:

If South is going to continue to be "Indie" heavy, as it looks like it will be for all the reasons folks here have stated it has been, it should be called PAX Indie and get it over with. Just own it and create a Con that caters to that crowd. Their are already 2 Cons that are "Big Name" heavy, so why not give Indie games their own spotlight? It's not my thing but it seems to be a growing niche. BTW I would LOVE to go to Prime or East but it is too cost intensive for me. South is much closer and cheaper.

Anyway just my 2p.

EDIT: I haven't heard anything about an event from CIG. IIRC they had last years one up by this time. I don't think they will because they are busy with the ongoing Alphas and keeping the haters off their backs! 8-)

Bartoni33 on
  • pragmanicpragmanic Registered User regular
    PAX East got so big and so insane that it's not even fun to go to anymore. There are some big-name titles coming out in a few months, but I can wait the few months and would rather see some smaller stuff.

shimwood wrote: »
    For the record: I'm kinda a big guy and I'll be there :P
    This is a stellar joke and I wish I had thought of it first.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    pragmanic wrote: »
    PAX East got so big and so insane that it's not even fun to go to anymore. There are some big-name titles coming out in a few months, but I can wait the few months and would rather see some smaller stuff.

Yeah PAX East is insane. It's the only PAX I've attended other than going to this years South. I love East but it can get a bit much at times.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Unfortunately PSX happened. Anything "Big" is just going to go there. I went to South last year and both PSX's and I like PSX better and PSX still has TONS of room for improvement.

It's also probably only a matter of time until Nintendo and Microsoft do their own cons. There is only so much time and money in the marketing budget/plan. Devs can't afford to support the ever growing number of conventions.

krae_man on
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    For me, I'm somewhat disappointed since my own niche is the MMO videogame genre and it seems a little under-represented. The upside being that I'll likely get time to do other stuff I enjoy instead (never managed to play any tabletop at the PAX Easts I've attended - maybe this will be the one!)

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • FlyingTurtleFlyingTurtle Registered User regular
    I wonder how many 3 day badge people looked at the schedule like I did and said "well f***..."

Well, the 3 day badge people can -easily- sell their badges. People are always looking. San Diego Comic Con would never be a disappointment, but if you were wanting to sell those, you couldn't because they're attached to the person. Only problem with PAX tickets is that they can easily be scalped.

I think as long as they get one "big" company I will be satisfied in the future. To me, Capcom is, so I don't feel as bad. I thought Nintendo got a ton of visitors last year though..thought that'd be incentive enough to come again. I'm sure PAX South Exhibitor spaces are cheaper than those at Prime or East. Oh well. Maybe next year. I'm hoping this doesn't affect the likeliness of PAX to stay in San Antonio. I mean, they are still selling out of most tickets, so I would think they are getting their money's worth.

• dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many 3 day badge people looked at the schedule like I did and said "well f***..."

Well, the 3 day badge people can -easily- sell their badges. People are always looking. San Diego Comic Con would never be a disappointment, but if you were wanting to sell those, you couldn't because they're attached to the person. Only problem with PAX tickets is that they can easily be scalped.

I think as long as they get one "big" company I will be satisfied in the future. To me, Capcom is, so I don't feel as bad. I thought Nintendo got a ton of visitors last year though..thought that'd be incentive enough to come again. I'm sure PAX South Exhibitor spaces are cheaper than those at Prime or East. Oh well. Maybe next year. I'm hoping this doesn't affect the likeliness of PAX to stay in San Antonio. I mean, they are still selling out of most tickets, so I would think they are getting their money's worth.

Capcom is kinda meh. They just bring their merch booth and add a couple of demo stations for SFV.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    This should be a good opportunity to scope out some smaller stuff, as well as spend more time in tabletop. Sounds good to me!

• VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    I mean Nintendo still was the only Big name company at South last year so it still is surprising they are skipping it this year.

Hopefully they go to East and they don't skip it like in 2014

Wishes he could change his username
  • xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    I seriously do not understand why people are disappointed. If you are seriously looking to only play the next Big 3 game then you are missing out on sooooo much. There are partys, concerts, friends to make.

Im stoked to try new stuff and see the friends I made last year again.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Farside87Farside87 Registered User new member

Where do you go to sell them? Is there supposed to be specific tab to sell them? I would like to try to sell them and my room that are already paid for so if there is a tab I am looking for it!

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Selling of passes on these forums is not permitted.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?