As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer crashed -- won't boot now

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys. Earlier today there was a power outage in my building. The power came back on quickly and my computer seemed to boot back up fine. About two hours later I was playing a game and it crashed hard. The screen was flashing different colors the went black. I tried rebooting and it fails each time.

I have a video of me attempting to boot it up:

http://youtu.be/ft8C2zmSs0I

Is my computer completely dead? A couple times I saw the error VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, but now I don't see that any more and it goes straight to a black screen after the bios post.

Mace1370 on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well it doesn't look like your motherboard is dead. The game now is to unplug all the optional stuff and by optional stuff I mean like everything that isn't your OS drive and RAM and see if it boots. If it does you shut down and add in one more thing until you find the thing that's the issue. If you were getting that error your video card seems a likely culprit.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm going to wager it's either RAM or video card at this point.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ya, I agree that the video card is most likely. I've never had a power surge actually destroy something, lol. I guess it can happen.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Ya, I agree that the video card is most likely. I've never had a power surge actually destroy something, lol. I guess it can happen.

I'd invest in a good surge protector if I were you. Not a cheap power bar, but a rated surge protector.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    chris920216chris920216 Registered User new member
    The situation is very complicated. What I recommend you to do is just unplug all the components that require power and long press the power button for 30 seconds and restart, that will deal with most cases. But, there are always some special situation, you should check some manuals if you know your PSU model.

• Options
    Problem I'm running into is that I don't have a second video card to swap out to see if mine went bad. I guess I could get a cheep one from amazon. I'll mess around and let you guys know when I've made progress. Thanks for all the help!

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Problem I'm running into is that I don't have a second video card to swap out to see if mine went bad. I guess I could get a cheep one from amazon. I'll mess around and let you guys know when I've made progress. Thanks for all the help!

Doesn't your motherboard have an onboard video connection?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I assume you have an actual card in your computer for video? Nvidia or amd that is not part of the motherboard? Try just unplugging that card and see if your motherboard has an onboard video that can boot your system.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Easy way to see if you have onboard video is looking at the back of your PC. Is there a VGA and/or DVI port along with the rest of your Motherboard connectors?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You posted video... Can you just post an image of the back of your computer?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure my motherboard does not have an onboard video card. I will take a picture of the back in little bit. My mobo is an asus m5a97.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing an on-board video port on the IO for the motherboard... That's going to limit your diagnostic ability for the GPU. Any way you can borrow one from family/friends/foes? I personally am leaning towards a dead GPU, but I'd hate for you to invest in a cheap one JUST to tell if you need a new one.

Until then, go down to essentials only (CPU, boot drive, GPU, RAM). Start with one stick of RAM only, and cycle through each stick. If you can't find a dead stick of RAM (still does the problem with every stick), try each stick of RAM in each slot. Could tell you if you have a bad RAM socket.

I still think this is more likely GPU related, but if you can't test anything else, try the RAM first, because your motherboard is POSTing which is a good sign for it.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Do you live in a town with a local mom & pop computer store?

They will often do a proper diagnosis for you at minimal cost (sometimes no cost) to see what's wrong (and then they'll also probably be able to sell you whatever you need right there).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    So I took my computer in to get diagnostics performed at a local shop (my property insurance said they would reimburse me regardless of the outcome of the diagnostic report). This seemed easier than finding a friend with a spare graphics card, since most of my friends are not computer savy. Turns out there was extensive electrical damage, so it was what I feared. Luckily, my insurance is covering the damage so I won't be out too much. Thanks for the help, guys!