As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blade & Soul] WARLOCK! Poharan/Cerulean Order! Leveling Challenge!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Everyone basically said mushin and poharan. Seems like it was mushin first poh second.

I cannot reserve names so if it is indeed mushin I likely will not be joining you until I can get on there without an unreasonable queue.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I likewise start as a non-founder player so I intend to head to Poharan.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Talking with the catgirl @Delphinidaes and posting for them due to their current lack of internet for a few days. They're humbly requesting rolling on Poharan, the perceived 2nd most popular server.

Back to myself... I'd consider 2nd most popular server a fair compromise. Hopefully enough people to do things with, but much shorter queues.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Say what now? O.o

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Didn't you read? Your connection is down for a few days so VW voted on your behalf. :V

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Lol. Setting me up Delphi. Setting me up.

• Options
    Okay. A mutual acquaintance of ours elsewhere on the internet has two friends that go by Delph and our Delphinidaes here.

I thought they were the same person and have made a fool of myself.

Whoops.

This is embarrassing.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'm down with Poharan. I don't have early access though so I will be starting this up on- it's the 18th, right?

EDIT: /waves @Delphinidaes

ringswraith on
  • Options
    I'm gonna hide and weep in a corner now.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I have literally no preference, so Poharan is fine with me.

Also I switched to Au Ra so I am far more elegant now than the whimsical Miqo'te

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I have a small cadre that will be playing this a bit. Poharan sounds like a good combo of "populated" and "not home to goons".

• Options
    I would be VERY happy with Poharan. It will likely be very comfortable.

Head Start is basically friday night, while the official release is monday night, well officially tuesday 12 AM EST. I assume head start is the same friday night but I didn't see that time.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    So, unless a bunch of people all of a sudden come in here and say otherwise, I'll update the OP here in a bit saying that we're congregating on Poharan.

On a personal note, I kind of wanted to stay out of the server discussion because I have VIP so I didn't want that affecting anything. So that's why I didn't speak up.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    We can download the game before the actual live date, right? Just can't log in until then?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    We can download the game before the actual live date, right? Just can't log in until then?

Yes.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Something interesting from the FAQ:
    Are names reserved across North America and Europe or just in each region?
    Name reservations will be on a per-region basis. For example: a character may have the same name on a North American server and on a European server, but not on two European servers.

When I reserve a name, can somebody else use that same name on a different server?
    Character names are unique within an entire region, regardless of servers within that region—a name can exist once in North America, and once in Europe.

So uhh, good luck getting a name you wanted =/

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Name reservations will be on a per-region basis. For example: a character may have the same name on a North American server and on a European server, but not on two European servers.

When I reserve a name, can somebody else use that same name on a different server?
    Character names are unique within an entire region, regardless of servers within that region—a name can exist once in North America, and once in Europe.

Well, that's a nightmare.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Sorry, whoever wanted Ichinarulufygo. Should have paid to reserve your name.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Normally I feel like paying a little bit to get early access/name reservation is fine. I don't mind paying for a game that I think I'll enjoy.

But $75 to get a name reservation? Yeaaaah, I don't think so. Not that my name is typically taken, but there's other names I like to grab so it's a little annoying that they placed that behind such a high cost.

• Options
    It's precisely because people like to grab multiple names that they are gating it to prevent name squatting.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So, with the way guilds work, don't we need to decide Crimson Legion vs Cerulean Order too? Or did we do that already and I missed it?

Geddoe on
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    It's precisely because people like to grab multiple names that they are gating it to prevent name squatting.

To be clear I don't mind the gating. Most of the prevention is done by only letting you reserve 1 name anyway. I just feel like that should have been included at the lower tier too.

• Options
    Geddoe wrote: »
    So, with the way guilds work, don't we need to decide Crimson Legion vs Cerulean Order too? Or did we do that already and I missed it?

Yes, we do. Blue and ORDER or Red and FREEDOM.

Also, yay. Got my two Mains created. I got exactly the name I wanted for the Destroyer , Alysane (the Mormont She-Bear of A Song of Ice and Fire). For the Summoner.... I gave up after 20 failed names of various spices, food products, and references and just typed in a Valkyrie Profile name I've used on ranged characters in video games for years now.
    k7ozbMw.jpg

syfIX0p.jpg

They'll look better once clothed.

• Options
    Being able to dress up your character in different outfits, access to different lightnings (including outside day/evening/night), having an average height comparison with every race, and having free camera rotation in the character creator helps so damn much.

As does being able to save and import presets.

• Options
    What I need is an external tool so I can get started on what will no doubt take hours of my time and then just import it when it is done.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    What I need is an external tool so I can get started on what will no doubt take hours of my time and then just import it when it is done.

Download the Taiwan client then create and save/export a character?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I was not aware that was an option. Are they compatible? Is there some kind of export option during character creation?

Edit: Going through the installation process for the Japanese version right now.
    Edit 2: Of course the JP installation process is a multistep pain in the ass.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So how casual can I play this game?

Can I play a few hours a week and still make decent progress?

• Options
    edited January 2016

Oh hey!

While Founders only get to reserve 1-2 names the GMs pre-reserved up to 6 others + their normal GM name. These include some popular culture, anime, visual novel, etc. names before people even had a chance at them. See the GM Youmukon's reserved names for an example.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I was not aware that was an option. Are they compatible? Is there some kind of export option during character creation?

Edit: Going through the installation process for the Japanese version right now.
    Edit 2: Of course the JP installation process is a multistep pain in the ass.

If you figure this out, mind sharing the steps?

• Options
    Taiwan client is simpler since it doesn't require a VPN to bypass a region lock.

• Options
    I just finished installation and updates but I'll have to put off actually hitting play until tomorrow after work. It's already 1:30 :zzz:

I just read through the steps and did as it said but I am willing to bet someone already had made a guide for it, as there usually is for any JP game.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Oh hey!

While Founders only get to reserve 1-2 names the GMs pre-reserved up to 6 others + their normal GM name. These include some popular culture, anime, visual novel, etc. names before people even had a chance at them. See the GM Youmukon's reserved names for an example.

One of the GMs apparently replied to this: http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/139095-youmukon-op/page__view__findpost__p__844635

I think the "p2w" comment is ridiculous and he should have just stuck with the "We need a character on each server in each region" since uhh, that kinda make sense, I guess. Personally, I tend to stay away from popular culture names anyway so I don't particularly care that they were able to do it. It does suck if you were trying to be Naruto or w/e since you never even had a chance but the people who are demanding refunds are funny since you were never guaranteed those names anyway.

Edit: Man, reading his Twitter feed about all this makes him seem really unprofessional. Like I said I don't really care that they were able to do this but maaaan, I wouldn't want him representing my company in any form.

Kyanilis on
  • Options

Oh hey!

One of the GMs apparently replied to this: http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/139095-youmukon-op/page__view__findpost__p__844635

I think the "p2w" comment is ridiculous and he should have just stuck with the "We need a character on each server in each region" since uhh, that kinda make sense, I guess. Personally, I tend to stay away from popular culture names anyway so I don't particularly care that they were able to do it. It does suck if you were trying to be Naruto or w/e since you never even had a chance but the people who are demanding refunds are funny since you were never guaranteed those names anyway.

Edit: Man, reading his Twitter feed about all this makes him seem really unprofessional. Like I said I don't really care that they were able to do this but maaaan, I wouldn't want him representing my company in any form.

The biggest issue is that they sold name reservations at a premium and then secretly pre-took some high-profile popular names that lots of people would try and go for without telling anyone until they were caught. If they hadn't explicitly sold name reservations for real world cash people on the internet would be a lot less upset.

Also yeah, the 'people would have sold the names' reasoning is bullshit and their forum and twitter responses are highly unprofessional. Why is a "Community Manager" gloating against the players and customers of their game?

• Options
  • Options
    I am thinking the English patches are going to stop being updated really soon. I was playing the Chinese version since about the beginning of december, and I think they updated that patch once (it needs to be updated every game patch, even minor, and there was at least three of those).

They finally declared it abandoned after 2 weeks of no update like a few days ago. Kind of sucks for those people who had pretty much settled into playing there though.

I had to set my PC region to China, which often confused my wife when the PC would get restarted and the current language was set to whichever one I had to pick (I think Mandrin?).

I took it out cause I am cool waiting this one last week for our version now.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Continuing on the topic of which faction to be on, I'd like to throw in the idea of us signing on to the Cerulean Order (Blue) as The Crimson Legion (Red) tends to fill up quicker which will make it a little difficult for anyone who comes in late PA-side to end up on the same faction as everyone else.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Anyone? Please?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

Anyone? Please?

Your name makes me unsure what you want the answer to be! =p
    I'm curious about the answer as well. Also, does the game work well (or at all) with a controller or is m/kb still the way to go?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Anyone? Please?

@Kai_San