As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just Cause 3: Out now!

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I meant more like the excavators and radar spires.

For excavators, if you take out all the small red round things on the sides, you only need to finish the arms holding the digging wheel, which is easily done in tank or RPG frenzies.

In the base for Sniper Frenzy 1 the big radar spires consist of three parts that each take two shots with the Archangel (I didn't try the other sniper), so if you take out two and shoot the last once on each tower they're quickly finished off later.

I had noticed some objects having weak points, but I didn't know about shooting the control panels. I just use the grapple to take out fuel tanks, though. It only takes one tether with the strength upgrades.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    You can take out like eight of them in a couple of seconds just shooting the control boxes. It's a lot faster.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I'm doing challenges to get the last few upgrades (and I might just be crazy enough to go for 5 gears on everything) and I do not particularly like the crash bomb challenges. When you bail out the tiniest bump will cause the bomb to go off and will often cause you to fail the challenge, either because the explosion killed you or it blew up just short of the target.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'll do the challenges to get the mods but not gonna even attempt 5*on some of these.

Oh, and a lot of the time the damage dealt bonus is completely negligible. I thought I hit the target right on, but it was only worth 70 points. Still got 5 gears because I did it fast.

I had one run where my damage done was worth a measly 4 points.

After several failed attempts I managed to get the Squalo X7 to a garage. Now the only thing I have left for 100% and all achievements is getting 5 gears on all challenges.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Peewi wrote: »
    Oh, and a lot of the time the damage dealt bonus is completely negligible. I thought I hit the target right on, but it was only worth 70 points. Still got 5 gears because I did it fast.

I had one run where my damage done was worth a measly 4 points.

Yeah they're all about time. You can trick other enemies into the blast radius though. They also give you points.

I've....never had your problem with bumps. There's always a clear path to the objective somewhere. You must be trying to be too tricky with what path you take.

Personally I really enjoy those, they're good fun with a satisfying ending. I can only assume you are doing something wrong to have so many problems.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I dislike those challenges, mostly because of the scoring system

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The part I hate is when you get all the way there with a good time, then you bail out and up pops the "you failed, your vehicle was destroyed"

No shit, game. That's the whole point of the challenge.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited January 2016
    I haven't played in a while and I don't have all the challenges but here are some helpful tips

Driving challenges: unless it's off-road, use the race car or the best sports car. One or two might be best with a motorcycle, and if you're doing an off road course your best bet is usually the dune buggy thing.

Boat challenges: get all the upgrades, and use the squalo

Airplane challenges: fighter jet

Helicopter challenges: upgrade nitro, use the little pontoon helicopter it's super fast

Scrambles: blue rocks are worth more, get as many of those as you can but do it quickly. Try not to make sharp turns because lots of rocks will fall away from the magnet

Wingsuit: go through the center part, don't hit anything

Bomb runs: get to the finish quickly and pray the game doesn't fuck you over

Blow shit up: open areas, use a helicopter. Otherwise, plan out your route and use tethers to bring stuff down whenever possible. Remember the clock doesn't start until a Red Thing gets destroyed.

knitdan on
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, again, I've done a lot of them and not once have I had that happen to me. There's always a clear flat path to the objective. The only way I can think of for this to be happening is if you are taking weird off road paths or bailing out way too early because you overestimate the size of the explosion.
    It's not even remotely "the game decides to fuck with you" it's you doing something wrong. It's impossible for me to have not had this happen to me if its as common as you say! I only ever fail because I lost time.

You don't actually have to bail out super early. I actually bail out with parachute to wingsuit quite late and end up flying past the objective with the explosion directly behind me. Completely untouched.

Like during the slowmo I'm flying and the foreground is full of explosion. It looks like I should be getting blowed the hell up but I'm not. To be that close I have to bail out with parachute close enough that I switch to wingsuit while directly above the objective.
    That's quite close!

Also a little tip for the wingsuit areas, some of them have lots of paths strewn about close to the ground and you are meant to pick one. If you are supa gud with tethering and using it to climb hills you can actually turn around, go back up the hills and shit, turn around again, and take another path, cheesing them out for mondo points. Makes those pick a path ones a lot easier.
    Don't worry too much if you go off path as long as you are swinging back towards a proper path again, you normally have enough time to get back onto a path before the timer runs out.

Morninglord on
    I actually like the standard speedboat more than the Squalo. It's entirely possible that it's just because I'm just now trying the Squalo and it's different from what I've gotten used to.

In the scrapyard scrambles, after once being killed by the enemies I switched over to using the APC and they instantly went from a threat to a minor annoyance.

For the boat frenzies, I'd say get the corvette by clearing Porto Tridente (it's all the way to the northwest) and use that instead of the other boats.

I'm glad I didn't actually have to figure out how to use the mortar and could just use a helicopter instead.

edited January 2016
    The scrambles are basically about finding big concentrations and carefully towing them at medium speed to the objective. Don't burn into the capture point at high speed, half your rocks will fly out the other side before it even opens.
    Drive nice and safe and avoid explosive barrels.

Like there's one which has lots of blue rocks in a bunch of trucks. I beat that really easily just by carefully driving up next to each truck and sitting there while all the blues got pulled out of the trailer, then carefully moving over to the next one and waiting there, then the next one, until I had them all. I had a humongous ball of blues which I very carefully trundled over to the capture point.
    And then I got like fifty fucking time increases at once and had done like 80% of the objective before the first enemies even rocked up. The rest was just gravy.

Morninglord on
    I don't have a good reason for it, but I usually go back to the pit once I have a decently sized ball and don't let it get too big. Still often get multiple gears in one drop off.

If I was gonna go high score crazy for any of the challenges, it'd probably be the scrapyard scrambles. It helps that there few of them.

I just spent at least an hour and a half on Maxime Tour and finally got 5 gears. I almost faceplanted, but saved it with a grapple, and a couple of rings I only got perfect with some braking. Ended with perfect on every ring and a score that would barely allow one of them to have been a great.

I do most of the other wingsuit courses completely without grappling or braking. I suspect it's possible to get 5 gears on all of them like that.

edited January 2016
    I might be a little crazy
    EC7435B295CFD392AC1DCA343ADF7F0DCFB01F4D

Peewi on
    Nice! I can't fathom the patience needed for some of the challenges. I'm still going for it.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Is there a way to quick release tethers while on foot? I know in a vehicle you can hit down on dpad, but can you do the same on foot somehow?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Is there a way to quick release tethers while on foot? I know in a vehicle you can hit down on dpad, but can you do the same on foot somehow?
    V key on the keyboard. Dunno on gamepad, probably the same thing?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    On PS4 it's hold the tether reel (L2) and press O. Maybe the same on PC?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I finally got this.
    It's good
    but it has so many stupid gameplay and technical problems JC2 didn't have
    it's a prettier step back.

and my god everytime the little "next upgrade" video pops up the game hangs for 20 seconds. It's infuriating.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    The gameplay in this one is very different. Describe your problems.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I just bought this while waiting for xcom 2 to come out and yeah im not really impressed.
    Rico is so fragile, i've died a ton of times. Even while trying to zip around spiderman style im getting shot all the time.
    Im not a big fan of challenges anyway and theres of them loads to do if I wanna upgrade Rico at all.
    Trying to wingsuit anywhere just results in my face planting into everything,
    the lack of a minimap means trying to find my way around means constantly switching back and forth between the map and game, which slows down the game and is annoying as heck.
    I keep experiencing slowdowns for no reason, like the game is badly optimised. Makes the game annoying to play.
    The very first thing that happened was a bug where my xbox got stuck in an infinite flashing 'logging online' screen, forcing me to turn off the xbox and disconnect it from the internet if I want to play.

I'm just not finding it as fun as the last justcause games.

edited February 2016
    Wingsuit has a learning curve. It's not useless. You just need to give yourself the time to learn. Everybody face plants a ton initially.
    Make sure to hold down all the time.

In fact I'd say the whole game has a learning curve, and your initial impressions will give way to a feeling of joy and power if you allow yourself to learn the mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6IJs4d1LNc

The game has a lot to offer if you let it.

Morninglord on
    You start off feeling fragile, but you'll hit a stride after a bit. I really enjoyed the game.

edited February 2016
    He can actually take objectively more punishment than the previous games, cos in the previous games, your health bar didn't regenerate to full, so enemies could peck you down and you'd be struggling to find health kits. Get behind line of sight cover for a little bit and that wont happen.

Also, this game does what prototype does: the faster you are moving, the less enemies can track you. Learn the wingsuit. When you are moving around in it, enemies can't hit you. You need to learn it, it might seem impossible that it could be something so powerful, but its not even remotely useless I guarantee it. Feel free to ask questions on technique. The movement system is deep in this one.

Morninglord on
    edited February 2016
    The single biggest and most helpful piece of knowledge for someone getting used to the wingsuit:

The parachute cannot faceplant. If you are about to hit the dirt, tap the parachute button and hold down to swing up and get height. This will swing you up and out of even the msot extreme dives, you'll be amazed at the shit this will get you out of. The worst that can happen is you get stuck and stop dead, and this usually requires you to be stuck under the lip of something. But you wont actually get hurt or stunned. The parachute ignores impact physics.

Then switch back to wingsuit after you have gained enough height. Be aware that you can switch from parachute to wingsuit in any direction freely. You don't have to wingsuit straight into the cliff ahead of you, you can be facing a cliff in the parachute and climbing, turn the reticle around, then switch back to wingsuit away from the cliff.

The second most helpful piece of knowledge:

Grapple ahead of you in the wingsuit. Pretend you are climbing across the ground on your stomach. To move smoothly, you have to reach forwards above your head, then pull yourself along. Point the reticle forwards, as far as it will go, and grab right at the edge of the grapples range, just before the reticle stops giving you the grapple indicator. Hold down on the left stick as you do this.
    Grapple the very top of cliffs and hills, the very top of buildings and towers, you can even climb sheer cliffs by pulling up until you almost stall then grabbing as far up as you can reach. Always up ahead of you, always forwards, to the horizon. As the horizon rises, so does your grappling point. Think superman, always one fist pointed towards where he wants to go. That's what Rico's grappling arm should look like as he fires it: directly ahead.

Don't grapple at an angle into the ground and never straight down. If you do accidentally, refer to the first piece of advice.

Morninglord on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Just launched this game again, for the first time basically since the week after launch

Still runs like shit, hitched a lot and made it really unpleasant to play

Lasted about five minutes and then closed it again

Wondering if I shouldn't just uninstall it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    What system are you on? I think it runs better on PS4 and also if you disconnect the console from the interwebs. If you're connected it keeps trying to ping the servers anytime you do something it thinks is noteworthy.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    What system are you on? I think it runs better on PS4 and also if you disconnect the console from the interwebs. If you're connected it keeps trying to ping the servers anytime you do something it thinks is noteworthy.

PC, and yeah, I thought the internet thing might be an issue but I disconnected and it did not help

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    So I got this on Friday and I'm enjoying it a lot.

My only question is do the servers ever actually work? My leaderboard is always empty. I don't particularly mind right now, but if it gets to the point where I can't get the Platinum because of the trophies that require online functionality ('Anything You Can Do...' and 'Bragging Rights') that's really going to piss me off.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    "You know what franchise was pretty cool? Saints Row. SR4 was pretty great, how do we 'Saints Row' up Just Cause?"

"Uh... helicarrier and jetpack?"

"Fuck yeah, ship it!"

I 100% approve.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Been playing this lately, still (mostly) enjoyable. On PS4, I only see occasional slowdown.

What loadout does everyone like to use? I tend to always keep the LMG and whatever SMG pair, plus RPG (recently snagged a Hydra from a base, it's the best). Is the FOW worth bothering with?

And challenges...does anyone else have trouble with the suicide vehicle ones? Several times I've dumped the vehicle right in front of the target, then it just goes up and somehow doesn't hurt anyone (50/50 on if it completes the challenge or fails). Also I hate flying courses. I can sail across the island no problem, but somehow aiming for red circles turns my wingsuit into spaghetti.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Been playing this lately, still (mostly) enjoyable. On PS4, I only see occasional slowdown.

What loadout does everyone like to use? I tend to always keep the LMG and whatever SMG pair, plus RPG (recently snagged a Hydra from a base, it's the best). Is the FOW worth bothering with?

And challenges...does anyone else have trouble with the suicide vehicle ones? Several times I've dumped the vehicle right in front of the target, then it just goes up and somehow doesn't hurt anyone (50/50 on if it completes the challenge or fails). Also I hate flying courses. I can sail across the island no problem, but somehow aiming for red circles turns my wingsuit into spaghetti.

Loadout wise I go with the CS-something Misfortune assault rifle for my two handed weapon and the Peacebringer revolvers (Insula Dracon vintage parts) as my Dual Wield. RPG I change around a lot, though the Hydra is generally my go-to.

Can't say I've had problems with the suicide vehicles not completing due to lack of damage. I've killed myself a couple of times but I managed to get them all done in the end without too much hassle.

Wing suit challenges I found ok. I rarely got them done right on the first go, but usually second or third try was the charm. That said, some of the ones in the mountain on the final island (Insula Striate) are just plain obnoxious. I spent over an hour to get the 5 gears on the Mountain Marathon course.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    We can use this in the main DiRavelo story, apparently. So, this game's now the Rocketeer vs Mussolini...
    ...the Ricoteer...

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I've finally got a computer that should be able to run this at greater than 30fps-ish at 720p so I'm really excited to give it another whirl. Has anyone noticed any performance optimisation patches since launch? I only played it for the week after it was released before moving onto something else.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2016
    But it's...

like...

I could already fly!

this is green lantern batman guys

weep for the poor fools

Morninglord on
    So the Sky Fortress dlc released today for the season pass holders on PSN. It is freaking great. The Fortress is massive but it's the jetsuit that really sells this. Evading missiles is tense and blowing shit up with the mounted rockets and minigun is just fun. I haven't even started the proper missions yet!

Big Classy wrote: »
    So the Sky Fortress dlc released today for the season pass holders on PSN. It is freaking great. The Fortress is massive but it's the jetsuit that really sells this. Evading missiles is tense and blowing shit up with the mounted rockets and minigun is just fun. I haven't even started the proper missions yet!

How's the performance been for you with the new patch on PS4? There's been some word on neogaf and reddit that the newest patch actually increased the frame rate problems. I haven't been able to check yet myself.