As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blade & Soul] WARLOCK! Poharan/Cerulean Order! Leveling Challenge!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    You would have a terrible time aiming on a controller. While you can softlock targets, you need to get the mouse somewhat over them to do so. Also, there MIGHT be a bit too many buttons to map. You might be able to pull off the leveling though.

As far as casual, there is no hardcore endgame in the game currently (our version at least). There will be a few dungeons and you should be able to casually pick up new equipment from them without a huge time investment. Leveling doesn't take long at all (likely 20-25 hours of play time if you take it easy and actually experience all the story).

PVP is basically get to max level and you are done. No progression there, PVP uses baseline stats so its fair. However, getting GOOD at pvp would likely take a time investment.

I would also like to add, while I soak up information on this game at an alarming rate, my actual playTIME will be pretty casual. Like maybe 2 or so hours a night and not every night. Still super excited about it, so that is a good testimonial right there.

Kai_San on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks for the info Kai_San. I don't normally play MMOs with a controller, but I have no real grasp of how this one plays except that it has a lot of combos, so it made me wonder if it was a controller type game.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I might dip my toe into this. I have some time before XCOM2 arrives to devour it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I think that just how much you need to do quick 180 turns to aim things would deter controller input. But there is also the fact that you couldn't navigate menus at all on one (so you would need to switch between mouse and controller just for that).

Actual fighting though, depending on class, if you could set up mouse movement to analogues and at least sort of get your reticle on things you are fighting while leveling (which is generally easy and stress free fighting) then you could maybe pull it off then. Any sort of dungeoning would be pretty impractical, and don't even THINK about it for pvp.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the info Kai_San. I don't normally play MMOs with a controller, but I have no real grasp of how this one plays except that it has a lot of combos, so it made me wonder if it was a controller type game.

Not really. The buttons used for skills are fixed (TAB, 1-4 on the keyboard, might be missing some) but they change contextually depending on what skills you have available.

For example, let's say 2 is a resource-spending attack. 3 is a knockdown. But you also have a resource-spender that you can only use when your target is knocked down. When you succeed with 3, 2 changes from your usual spender to the one that you can use while your target is knocked down.

That's a very dumbed-down way of explaining it, but that's what I understood in my short time playing the beta. I'm sure @Kai_San could elaborate more. :)

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    You would have a terrible time aiming on a controller. While you can softlock targets, you need to get the mouse somewhat over them to do so. Also, there MIGHT be a bit too many buttons to map. You might be able to pull off the leveling though.

As far as casual, there is no hardcore endgame in the game currently (our version at least). There will be a few dungeons and you should be able to casually pick up new equipment from them without a huge time investment. Leveling doesn't take long at all (likely 20-25 hours of play time if you take it easy and actually experience all the story).

PVP is basically get to max level and you are done. No progression there, PVP uses baseline stats so its fair. However, getting GOOD at pvp would likely take a time investment.

I would also like to add, while I soak up information on this game at an alarming rate, my actual playTIME will be pretty casual. Like maybe 2 or so hours a night and not every night. Still super excited about it, so that is a good testimonial right there.

Thank you. I'm looking for a destiny replacement and this game looks really good. I'll give it a chance and hopefully it's a game with legs

Not really. The buttons used for skills are fixed (TAB, 1-4 on the keyboard, might be missing some) but they change contextually depending on what skills you have available.

For example, let's say 2 is a resource-spending attack. 3 is a knockdown. But you also have a resource-spender that you can only use when your target is knocked down. When you succeed with 3, 2 changes from your usual spender to the one that you can use while your target is knocked down.

That's a very dumbed-down way of explaining it, but that's what I understood in my short time playing the beta. I'm sure @Kai_San could elaborate more. :)

No thats basically it. The most literal interperetation I could think of is "context sensitive" buttons.

The biggest one is the left mouse button skills. The empty one is usually a spammable move (and in most melee cases its series of 3 moves that are all identical in stats but look different for fancies). But then you might have a stance, and it switches to the move for that. Then if you used a move that hit an opponent into the air, it becomes a relaunch (or an attack that works on the opponent in the air once, and they stay in the air a bit). It might become something else when the opponent is stunned etc. The most of these transformations occur in the left and right mouse buttons, but they are still all over the place on your movelist. One more direct example would be force masters. Almost ALL of their skills change based on if you are in frost or fire mode. This mode is most easilly switched by using LMB (basic fire attack) and RMB (basic frost attack) then just about all of your other buttons flip over.

I think the list of buttons overall is left/right mouse button, F, Tab, 1,2,3,4, Z,X,C,V, Q,E, and double tap S. Apparently at some point after the level cap increase and new content, we get A and D moves too (likely double tap I guess).

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    LMB (or R) and RMG (or T) are your spammable moves.
    1-4 are low-cooldown moves.
    Z-V are high cooldown moves, stances, etc.
    F is to use a conditional move.
    Q, E, and SS are evasive maneuvers with invulnerable frames.
    Tab is either an escape or invulnerable frame attack move.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Continuing on the topic of which faction to be on, I'd like to throw in the idea of us signing on to the Cerulean Order (Blue) as The Crimson Legion (Red) tends to fill up quicker which will make it a little difficult for anyone who comes in late PA-side to end up on the same faction as everyone else.

I do prefer the look of Crimson Legion outfits, but I did notice even during the beta that the Crimson Legion was full on the server I was on.

Red ones are three times quicker after all.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Currently playing around with character creation. There is a nice, convenient option to save the character appearance and import it for later use. On Windows it saves an image to

C:\Users\<username>\Pictures\BnS\CharacterCustomize

So if you find someone else's image you want to import or use as a base you can toss it in there. I know my JP and NA installations so far have everything else separate, but I believe screenshots and related images like this are stored in the same folder so I probably won't have to move it when I get to log into NA.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    They are. When I was on the China version all the characters I saved from the US beta showed up in the China version and vice versa.

Just keep in mind, apparently the US/EU versions are getting a few unique hairstyles and hair colors. So if you make a char preemptively before release, possibly be willing to second look the hair (you can load up the preset and still edit it).

If anyone is a part of the name pre registration, you get access to the character creator too. You could possibly look at those new hairstyles there.

I guess I'm a little confused. When I hear "save preset" I'm thinking this puts out a file that you can then import into the US client when it's available.

But all this talk about screenshots (what's the default key for that, btw?) makes me wonder if that's what everyone is actually doing, taking screenshots of all the sliders and stuff.

The screenshots the game takes are apparently able to read the character involved and use that for presets. I dunno how it works though, I didn't do it. But you have the option basically of getting a screenshot of a character to use for character creation (this is so you can get the look AFTER the character has been made) or the option to save a preset DURING character creation. Both work.

Screenshot key SHOULD just be prtscn as it always is in almost any game.

Oh and apparently I have not informed myself very well on the games PVE content. I think I might have understated it a bit.

This video goes into some detail of all the stuff before the level 50 patch. He briefly mentions the level 50 patch content, which apparently blows the doors open on dungeons with 19 becoming available at some point (all of which progress the games plot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xByxSFZ5A

That video sure makes moving around look fun as hell.

Kai_San wrote: »
    The screenshots the game takes are apparently able to read the character involved and use that for presets. I dunno how it works though, I didn't do it. But you have the option basically of getting a screenshot of a character to use for character creation (this is so you can get the look AFTER the character has been made) or the option to save a preset DURING character creation. Both work.

Screenshot key SHOULD just be prtscn as it always is in almost any game.

Ok, will give it a try once I've downloaded one of the other clients. Thanks!

edited January 2016
    The JP server went into maintenance while I was still making a character. ;_; Good thing I saved and didn't lose anything, other than my train of thought.

edit:

Server came back online and I got back to making my char.

Planning on going Gon Force Master:
    She is a bit above average in height for a Gon.
    fubyVNH.jpg

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    The character I will make to play with the PAers will be a FM. Not sure on the looks though as I plan to explore the new options a bit, and maybe tweak the character designs I have preset since its been awhile since I made them.

Also I have a good 6 characters premade that I could choose from for the FM. I do have a character specifically built for my KFM that will be on my main server. I made that on the Chinese version pretty recently.

• LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    Ive been looking for an MMO for a few years now that I could sink myself into and havent really found anything. Played Skyforge a bit and lost interest rather quickly but from everything ive seen from Blade & Soul it should keep me interested for a while. I went ahead and got a founders pack and created a character on the Poharan server. My IGN is Draggan, hope to see everyone there on Friday.

Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, so like I said earlier I was only vaguely interested in it but I hadn't really looked into it much.

Now I have and I'm feeling a bit of hype, I'll definitely be there for early access. Really digging the way combat looks, if it feels anything like I imagine it will I'll stick around a bit I'm sure.

its making me depressed to hear about all the peeps that get to play in just a few days :(. But I couldn't justify paying 25 bucks for what amounts to basically just the head start. It will all be forgotten by monday, but damn if it isn't hard right now.

• TrepperTrepper Registered User regular
    "Kivaria" the Assassin was born today on Poharan. :biggrin:

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My favorite thing to do in the beta was solo the early dungeon bosses. Especially when I could do it without using healing items.

I mean it took a while and I'd go back in there in groups, but man it's satisfying for defense to be player skill based.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    My favorite thing to do in the beta was solo the early dungeon bosses. Especially when I could do it without using healing items.

I mean it took a while and I'd go back in there in groups, but man it's satisfying for defense to be player skill based.

So, having played TERA, where you could do this with some clutch dodging and iframes (particularly with Warrior), and Wildstar/GW2 where everything is a telegraph, which mechanic does this game take advantage of?

Are some classes better than others at this? Does the caster class have a bunch of iframes, or are bosses actually susceptible to stuns and roots and stuff? Or is it the case where Kung Fu master, with all the counters (?), is the best at this stuff?

Some classes are better than others by far. But mostly the fact that many attacks have either a yellow telegraph or a red one. Yellow can be blocked/deflected as well as iFramed. Red can only be iFramed. However a lot of them are not hard to physically walk out of. There are a few attacks from what I have seen with only an animation to deal with (as an example, the final boss of the first dungeon, with two forms, has a ranged force grab into what looks like the Destroyer axe face smash. It has a brief startup animation so it can be iFramed, and needs to be because it is going to be the majority of the damage you take.)

Now for instance, Blade Master and Kung Fu Master have short to no cooldown defense skills. That makes things simple. They can save the iFrames for truly unavoidable stuff. Assassins deal with soloing through near permanent stealth (which does not reset fights in this game, enemies stand patiently waiting for a target). Summoners have a cat to literally tank with, and have lots of health balancing options to keep both themself and the cat alive. Outside of that, I really do not know. You CAN cc most bosses but it runs under the system where you need to perform 2 of the same CC in quick succession. Depending on the CC you have for your class, you might not be able to do this very often. When it is available though, this can be used to interrupt attacks.

On all the leveling dungeons and the first few end game ones, you can solo anything you can survive. Starting with the dungeon that will first be available in the post beta release (Poharan, yes our server's name) there are the equivalent of enrage timers like mentioned in the vid I posted here a few days ago. That will prevent a lot of soloing unfortunately until you are able to somewhat outgear the place. Even then you need to be specced heavily into damage thus making the defense aspect way harder.

I plan on doing as much soloing as I can and eventually on all classes. Whenever I get a new comp, I would even record it for youtube. I am eager to learn when the earliest possible gear-wise each of these new dungeons are soloable as they are released.

edited January 2016
    Cool, thanks, I like the idea of short, no cooldown defensive skills vs. telegraphed attacks

Neurotika on
    At some point I'll ask exactly what iFrames are (I'm assuming they're invincibility frames). But since I'll be starting out next week I doubt it'll come into play so early. :)

I got the JP client up and running and English-patched (yay!) so I can start creating a character later tonight. @Talith that video you linked previously was a big help- thanks!

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Cool, thanks, I like the idea of short, no cooldown defensive skills vs. telegraphed attacks

You'll want to play a Kung-fu Master or Blade Master, the tanks of the game then.

Evereone else just has invincibility frame devensive moves that have cooldowns or invincibilty frame offensive moves that cost resources. But there's also manual dodging of attacks, which I was doing a lot in the beta playing dps classes. And there's also using CC moves to interupt attacks.

One of my favorite things on normal mobs was to grab an enemy when they were in a mid-air leap attack, both nulifying their damage and giving me free damage at the same time.

ForceVoid wrote: »

You'll want to play a Kung-fu Master or Blade Master, the tanks of the game then.

Evereone else just has invincibility frame devensive moves that have cooldowns or invincibilty frame offensive moves that cost resources. But there's also manual dodging of attacks, which I was doing a lot in the beta playing dps classes. And there's also using CC moves to interupt attacks.

One of my favorite things on normal mobs was to grab an enemy when they were in a mid-air leap attack, both nulifying their damage and giving me free damage at the same time.

I really love casters in MMOs, but in heavy action ones like TERA, I was not really impressed, so I've been looking at Blade Master.

Dig that they have a draw stance too.

Tanks: Kung-Fu Masters & Blade Masters (KFM is better single target and nice buffs where BM has more AoE and dps).

Heavy CC Dps: Destroyers & Blade Dancers (DES have better sustained damage where LBD have amazing burst damage).

Heavy DPS: Assassin (Tops charts, provides stealth).

Ranged: Force Masters and Summoners (FM have lots of slows/roots and can shield allies from ranged attacks while SUM can give melee extra free resources or minor healing while doing damage and providing stealth).

The upcoming Warlock has lots of AoE and great party buffs. Can't speak for the Soul Master or whatever it's called.

At some point I'll ask exactly what iFrames are (I'm assuming they're invincibility frames). But since I'll be starting out next week I doubt it'll come into play so early. :)

I got the JP client up and running and English-patched (yay!) so I can start creating a character later tonight. @Talith that video you linked previously was a big help- thanks!

iFrame is invincibility yes. It causes you to RESIST all attacks made on you for the duration. For most moves such as side steps and back step its just during the animation of the move. Sometimes those can be updated (such as the KFM sidestep) to add further invincibility time after the step. Also there is usually 1 or 2 other skills you can spec iFrames into. Some are more practical than others.

There is also a form of iFrame that is based on the number of attacks you take. It is basically the same thing but can break after x attacks (usually 1, 3 or 5).

I am almost certain KFM is overall better damage than BM. BM is more defensively apt because their defense skill is a persisting block that blocks EVERYTHING for its duration unless you spec it differently. Counter only does the first hit (but can be specced for more, up to 1 second after counter but it has a 1.3 sec CD so there will be a gap).

Also KFM sidesteps are better. Much better. 1 full second of iFrame AFTER the animation and every attack resisted adds to an agility buff that after 3 stacks gives you 100% evasion, which avoids all basic damage attacks for like 5 seconds or something.

Blade Dancers are known for being noticably on the lower end of damage in PVE. The burst is real, but sustained is low. Now there are no DPS meters of any sort, so its all judged by eye, but for the most part the damage of all classses is pretty equal. But it has been noted you will notice it lacking slightly as LBM. The thing they do is produce holds (the force grab) which usually allows significant damage options for many other classes. But Destroyer does this better and does better overall damage as well. This SHOULDNT be a problem overall, but expect the extremist grouping attitudes that come from western MMOs to make a huge deal out of that.

Conversely, LBD are exceptionally good in PvP because of that high burst damage and their excellent mobility.

exceptionally is an understatement.

If you PVP, before the level 50 patch expect to see LBD all over the place from low to high rating. They are rather easy to play and quite powerful because of said burst.

Well damn...
    I was leaning toward Bladedancer (that's what I made my headstart char as) but now I'm not so sure! =p

I was hoping for the Warlock or the Soul Fighter but my compromise is the Force Master. If I don't like the way FM plays during PvP I might also roll a jedi squirrel as well.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Well damn...
    I was leaning toward Bladedancer (that's what I made my headstart char as) but now I'm not so sure! =p

I played Blade Dancer the most in the Beta. They are incredibly fun to play as. They feel Wuxia-like for sure moving all over the place with fancy looking and satisfying moves, mobility, cc, and aoe damage.

Also, Force Masters are oretty interesting too, as they require you to keep track of two different debuff stacks and stances that you're constantly switching between.

You will not be getting a good feel for FM in PVP until 45. That class plays nothing like it should till max level. You get some really significant skills then, and the word is they are already limited by the low amount of skill points we will be starting at (at 45 with no hongmoon levels). So don't pass judgement on FM pvp till max level. Even then, it is a VERY high skill requirement class.

Well damn...

I played Blade Dancer the most in the Beta. They are incredibly fun to play as. They feel Wuxia-like for sure moving all over the place with fancy looking and satisfying moves, mobility, cc, and aoe damage.

Also, Force Masters are oretty interesting too, as they require you to keep track of two different debuff stacks and stances that you're constantly switching between.

I am re-sold on the Blade Dancer. Thanks =p

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of dipping into B&S because it looks like it may give me the best option out of any current MMOs for recreating an old tabletop character who I really miss. I played Guild Wars 2 on my Surface Pro 1, and it worked pretty well. Could it handle this?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    If you could handle GW2 playably, you can handle this. You might need to set some stuff down noticeably for group content though.

B&S has some extremely low settings you can use if your PC just cannot handle games. Though the overall experience is heavily dependent on CPU (but so is GW2, so no big deal)