As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
Below is a compilation of links we've found to be helpful for Sys Admins (capitalized because we're important, like a towel):

AntiVirus/AntiMalware Tools:
Networking Tools:
Miscellaneous Tools:
Ransomware/Cryptoware information sheet

Stress Relief Tools:

...more to come

last updated 06.09.2016

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    @Le_Goat

PM me the old OP so I can put the links up you had.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I find it pretty fitting that on my last day as a sysadmin, the sysadmin thread I owned was retired.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Just got a hit on my last batch of resumes I sent out. Someone in HR asked me to apply for a Linux Administration job they have open.

If nothing else it was nice to be contacted by a real person

Seidkona on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Al always, we are here to administer your systems :winky:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Through the backdoor if we have to.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Using bash?

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

Don't forget to use a Trojan

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Le_Goat wrote: »

as long as it isn't a man in the middle attack.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

no way, I went through a lot of effort to get networking running, we're gonna have more than two users!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

no way, I went through a lot of effort to get networking running, we're gonna have more than two users!

Just don't get a worm.

• Options
    We're off to a great start!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    This is a story about Level 3 and Valve which I find fascinating. tl:dr; Level 3 just upgraded their interconnect to Valve to 100gbps to better handle the 400-500 petabytes of data that goes in and out of steam every month.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/valve-deploys-100gbps-internet-ports-to-handle-75-traffic-growth/

• Options
    edited January 2016
    75% growth year over year? holy crap.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Entaru, the Dependency Walker link doesn't work. It directs to https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202839/www.dependencywalker.coms

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Entaru, the Dependency Walker link doesn't work. It directs to https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202839/www.dependencywalker.coms

Fixed.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    75% growth year over year? holy crap.

It's pretty much the only digital distrobuter of video games.

Now if only they'd do movies too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    So turns out I need UNLIMITED STRENGTH JAVA. whatever the fuck that is.

3y50bhhj9tjb.png

wut.PNG 20.7K
  • Options
    As we say over in the programming thread

Java :rotate:

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

3y50bhhj9tjb.png

Oh man, this shit makes me so mad.

Did you know that (unless you replace the stock JCE with BouncyCastle) JDK 6 & 7 will only do crypto up to 1024-bits, even with the "unlimited" policy file? This isn't a big problem for most people, unless you want to use DH key-exchange parameters that haven't been hacked by the NSA for SSH, IPSec, etc.

I fortunately don't have to write the Java :rotate: myself, but the box I work on has to connect with my company's management software, which is all Java. I got the primary one to switch to BouncyCastle, but the other big one won't do it (or upgrade to JDK 8).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Me: Okay [DEV TEAM] I'm now setting your shares on \\devfileserver to read-only, then I will be performing a final sync over to the new DFS shares at \\domain\devteam. Once that's done I will set the new shares to read-write and update this thread.

Dev: I can't write to the team share.

Me: Yes I'm still copying data once that's done you'll have access on \\domain\devteam

Dev: Ok can you update the thread when that happens?

Me: (grinds teeth) Yes I will be updating the thread.

(This guy's title is Senior Software Engineering Lead he makes well over 6 figures and can't read a god-damn two sentence email)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Can someone explain what this means to me ... in small words?

Including Skylake?

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    Can someone explain what this means to me ... in small words?

Including Skylake?

If you're using a newer CPU, you have to be using windows 10 to get microsoft support as a business user. Stop using Windows 8 you chucklefucks.

I guess.

I dunno.

• Options
    Man that's pretty shitty of MS.

I mean I'm no frogrammer but I don't get the impression that there's much of headache in supporting older procs. AMD64 is AMD64, right?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Me: Okay [DEV TEAM] I'm now setting your shares on \\devfileserver to read-only, then I will be performing a final sync over to the new DFS shares at \\domain\devteam. Once that's done I will set the new shares to read-write and update this thread.

Dev: I can't write to the team share.

Me: Yes I'm still copying data once that's done you'll have access on \\domain\devteam

Dev: Ok can you update the thread when that happens?

Me: (grinds teeth) Yes I will be updating the thread.

(This guy's title is Senior Software Engineering Lead he makes well over 6 figures and can't read a god-damn two sentence email)

People like this are why I double-space after every sentence in my emails. They're not fucking capable of reading.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I mean I'm no frogrammer but I don't get the impression that there's much of headache in supporting older procs. AMD64 is AMD64, right?

As an operating system? Probably just overhead.

Patching is annoying across multiple systems, the code should be relatively identical since they're all built on the NT kernel.

bowen on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

3y50bhhj9tjb.png

Did you know that (unless you replace the stock JCE with BouncyCastle) JDK 6 & 7 will only do crypto up to 1024-bits, even with the "unlimited" policy file? This isn't a big problem for most people, unless you want to use DH key-exchange parameters that haven't been hacked by the NSA for SSH, IPSec, etc.

I fortunately don't have to write the Java :rotate: myself, but the box I work on has to connect with my company's management software, which is all Java. I got the primary one to switch to BouncyCastle, but the other big one won't do it (or upgrade to JDK 8).

Wait, this notice is a real thing? It immediately registers in my mind as a shitty malware click-bait prompt, partly due to the god-awful GUI but mostly because of the phrase "unlimited strength policy files". That is not terminology I would ever expect to come across outside a TV show's sad attempt to incorporate real tech in dialogue.

Why the hell would you ever have a policy-based upper limit on crypo bit strength? What conceivable use case does that cover?

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Saeris wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

3y50bhhj9tjb.png

Wait, this notice is a real thing? It immediately registers in my mind as a shitty malware click-bait prompt, partly due to the god-awful GUI but mostly because of the phrase "unlimited strength policy files". That is not terminology I would ever expect to come across outside a TV show's sad attempt to incorporate real tech in dialogue.

Why the hell would you ever have a policy-based upper limit on crypo bit strength? What conceivable use case does that cover?

Java :rotate:

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    US export restrictions.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Those are gone now though, aren't they?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    US export restrictions.

Mind explaining more?

<--- n00b

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    US export restrictions.

Mind explaining more?

<--- n00b

US restricted export of encryption methodologies outside of the US. Only 'good' nations could/can get them. Libya was a prime example of one of those restricted countries.

This was Sun's method of enforcing it and removing their culpability in violating US export restrictions.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    US export restrictions.

Mind explaining more?

<--- n00b

US restricted export of encryption methodologies outside of the US. Only 'good' nations could/can get them. Libya was a prime example of one of those restricted countries.

This was Sun's method of enforcing it and removing their culpability in violating US export restrictions.

It was worse than that, it wasn't just "good nations can use" it was "to ship these bits to someone outside of the US you need an end user certificate", you know, cause crypto is a weapon and all.

As to why it's still around, my guess would be organisational momentum.

orthanc
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

As an operating system? Probably just overhead.

Patching is annoying across multiple systems, the code should be relatively identical since they're all built on the NT kernel.

Yeah, this is about reducing testing and code overhead. There's probably some compatibility techniques they're using on older versions. Part of the drive to move to "latest version support only" to prevent the massive headaches of the past and give businesses (and especially the enterprise) a kick in the pants to keep their stuff updated.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It's gone in Java 8, AFAIK.

How it ended up in Java 7 is probably organizational momentum. Or they didn't want to use any resources to re-write the JCE. But BouncyCastle is way better anyway, they should have just made it the default.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Welp, the first phone interview went fine for that LAN admin job I applied for.

They want a second detailed breakdown of my work as a more in depth resume but I'm being moved to the second phone interview once they get that.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    vW7z3ef.jpg

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I see that somebody has switched many of the keys on the keyboard. Those scamps!

• Options
    vW7z3ef.jpg

My Fetwgrkifg adapter is malfunctioning. Is this Ngrmad?

• Options
    vW7z3ef.jpg

My Fetwgrkifg adapter is malfunctioning. Is this Ngrmad?

Ng.

This discussion has been closed.