As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What would you do with...ONE BILLION DOLLARS?

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    How many times more likely is it that I'll get hit by lightning?

Quite a few, but I'd still recommend the lottery over getting hit by lightning. The odds are lower, sure, but the payout's way better

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    1/292,000,000th unit of regret.

Which might be substantial if you have a habit of blowing things out of proportion.

If you gave everyone in america some of that regret they would each have 2.9 million regrets!!!

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Quite a few, but I'd still recommend the lottery over getting hit by lightning. The odds are lower, sure, but the payout's way better

what if i get super speed or the ability to shoot lightning though?

Melding wrote: »

By all accounts of people who have tried it, the most common superpowers are chronic seizures and loss of bowel control.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well It's not really the lottery win itself that causes the bad luck, the money just increases the chances. If you let them announce your name, if you drive a fancy car, if you give tons of money to an 18 year old that may not have developed much in the way of responsible use of money, your more likely to be targetted by thieves, have your car targetting to be stolen, or possibly that 18 year old to be in situations that a normally broke 18 year old would not be in. I'm not saying thats the case in this circumstance...just saying its a contribution that could be mitigated by being smarter about it.

1) Do not reveal your name to the public. Hell if i won i would be pretty damn selective about what family members i told.
    2) Immediately create a 10-20 million dollar trust fund that earns very little interest but is rock solid safe...every year the money it earns will be deposited into an account with your name on it...you, nor any reciever cannot ever touch the principle amount. trust passes to your heirs. this way you always have a backup even if you do something really stupid and lose it all.

Then...assuming you can manage not to immediately overdose on cocaine (again, see 'do somethign stupid'), you can do whatever you want, as long as you dont flash it. Sure you can have a fancy car, but park it in LA or somewhere that there are tons of fancy cars. Don't drive a Ferrari in bumfuck, Alabama.

There are very few states where you are allowed to remain anonymous to claim the prize. You also can't wear disguises, etc, to the press conference.

In theory you can get around some of it if you hire a really good lawyer, but eh.

You pretty much *have* to move somewhere where rich people don't stand out. Like New York, LA, London, etc.

a5ehren on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Assuming you like sodomy.

who doesn't?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Well It's not really the lottery win itself that causes the bad luck, the money just increases the chances. If you let them announce your name, if you drive a fancy car, if you give tons of money to an 18 year old that may not have developed much in the way of responsible use of money, your more likely to be targetted by thieves, have your car targetting to be stolen, or possibly that 18 year old to be in situations that a normally broke 18 year old would not be in. I'm not saying thats the case in this circumstance...just saying its a contribution that could be mitigated by being smarter about it.

1) Do not reveal your name to the public. Hell if i won i would be pretty damn selective about what family members i told.
    2) Immediately create a 10-20 million dollar trust fund that earns very little interest but is rock solid safe...every year the money it earns will be deposited into an account with your name on it...you, nor any reciever cannot ever touch the principle amount. trust passes to your heirs. this way you always have a backup even if you do something really stupid and lose it all.

Then...assuming you can manage not to immediately overdose on cocaine (again, see 'do somethign stupid'), you can do whatever you want, as long as you dont flash it. Sure you can have a fancy car, but park it in LA or somewhere that there are tons of fancy cars. Don't drive a Ferrari in bumfuck, Alabama.

There are very few states where you are allowed to remain anonymous to claim the prize. You also can't wear disguises, etc, to the press conference.

In theory you can get around some of it if you hire a really good lawyer, but eh.

You pretty much *have* to move somewhere where rich people don't stand out. Like New York, LA, London, etc.

I'm glad I live in one of those few states.

Because I'm totally going to win you see.

steam_sig.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what if I immediately moved to like finland

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if I immediately moved to like finland

Well, as long as you keep posting, I'm cool with you moving wherever.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Numbers were drawn. I won nothing.

Sorry Geebs

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    What were the numbers? The lottery site's pretty much down.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    1 2 3 4 5 PB 6

The odds were astronomical, I know!

No but really I have no idea.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Owenashi wrote: »
    What were the numbers? The lottery site's pretty much down.

According to Twitter:

8-27-34-04-19-10

Sassori on
    8, 27, 34, 4, 19 and the Powerball of 10

I actually think it would be hilirious if they made the odds too high and no one won for like 6 more months.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    You get like, $4 right if you have the Powerball even if you have nothing else?

So technically, I still came out on top here.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    You get like, $4 right if you have the Powerball even if you have nothing else?

So technically, I still came out on top here.

That is correct.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I actually think it would be hilirious if they made the odds too high and no one won for like 6 more months.

Well, the odds never change based on how high the jackpot is; they're still drawing the same amount of numbers from the same pool.

Only thing that changes with more tickets sold is that multiple winners is more likely.

But yeah, no one winning would be the funniest outcome here.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Gonna check my slips in a bit. Won't know about the work pool till tomorrow. Do they if the winning numbers were sold on a ticket, or is that only if somebody claims it?

They will say, usually the morning after, is someone won or not. Because if not then they increase the jackpot and the frenzy begins anew

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

By all accounts of people who have tried it, the most common superpowers are chronic seizures and loss of bowel control.

but super speed and lighting shooting is still on the table, right?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

Well, the odds never change based on how high the jackpot is; they're still drawing the same amount of numbers from the same pool.

Only thing that changes with more tickets sold is that multiple winners is more likely.

Bucketman is referring to the fact that they recently extended the amount of available non-powerball numbers in the pool. They wanted to create bigger jackpots by decreasing the odds of winning.

This is the result of their hubris.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Got one matching non-powerball number between both tickets, same as last time. Ah well, at least I didn't do any worse and it was fun to think about possibilities over the last couple days.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    California has a winner.

Anyone here buy a ticket in lovely Chino Hills?

Nothing. Matters.
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »

Bucketman is referring to the fact that they recently extended the amount of available non-powerball numbers in the pool. They wanted to create bigger jackpots by decreasing the odds of winning.

This is the result of their hubris.

Oh man that's great, maybe?

Like, right now I'm picturing some smug, mostly evil, bureaucratic type leaned back with his feet on his desk and cackling over the chaos and profits that his plan has wrought.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Its June 2019, no one has won the Powerball in 3 years, the jackpot is over 3 trillion, people are killing and dying for tickets.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Fun story, when I won with my ticket, I had checked the numbers at home and saw that I had matched 5/7 + bonus, so I was pretty sure that I had won some notable amount.

But when I went to a depanneur to validate the ticket, the cashier guy came back saying that the machine said not to pay out, and the cashier said it was because the ticket had already been claimed.

I was pretty bummed out but I left and went to work because well the ticket said not to pay out.

Then I checked the lotto website at work, and talked to some coworkers who had played lottos a lot. I absolutely should have won and it should have been in the thousands.

So I went back, and thankfully the cashier wasn't sketchy, trying to keep the ticket for himself, and he hadn't torn it, he was just a trainee who didn't know better. He was able to pull it out and re-check it, with his manager there.

Turns out that when you win more than 200$ here, the third party gas stations/convenience stores aren't allowed to pay out, and you have to go to the lottery headquarters to get paid; makes a whole lot of sense. So the ticket the guy interpreted as "this ticket was already claimed" actually meant "you're not allowed to pay out here, give the ticket back to the person and tell them to go downtown".

So there was about two hours there where a $6300 ticket was sitting in a public garbage.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh hey somebody in california won, this nightmare can finally end

Kinda glad I didn't win

Just the thought of suddenly having that much money makes me fuckin nervous

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    fuckin californians... bah!

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm a Californian. I did not win. On a $38 work pool we won $0. Which is exactly what I expected but I don't want to be the guy at work that doesn't get money if everyone else does.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Kinda glad I didn't win

I guess the winner can use some of the money to haul in water for the state. That's still a thing for California, right?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Kinda glad I didn't win

I guess the winner can use some of the money to haul in water for the state. That's still a thing for California, right?

This rainy season is looking positive but it's too early to call still

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

Kinda glad I didn't win

That's being reactive you not to be pro-active and get you some mad max cars and a vcoder

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Apparently a crowd of people have gathered around the 7-11 where the winning ticket was sold

Because the winner is definitely going to go there

To collect their winnings

Which they could totally do, because the store carries 1.5 billion dollars in the register, as is 7-11 corporate policy

Butler For Life #1 on
    edited January 2016
    What? They released the exact location where the ticket was sold? That's just inviting trouble, ain't it?

EDIT:

Owenashi on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    What? They released the exact location where the ticket was sold? That's just inviting trouble, ain't it?

They always do.

Those people at the location are straight up morons.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    From the photo it kinda looks like they're just dumb kids there to party

I hope they don't expect to get any money from this.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

EDIT:

Its public record. Person's name will be released, too. California is not one of the 6 states that do not release the name I don't think.

Also the 7-11 where it was sold will get 1 million dollars

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what the fuck, why does the store get winnings?

BahamutZERO.gif