As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WITNESS MAD MAX FURY ROAD WINNING ALL THE [OSCARS]

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Social Entropy++
so Mad Max did so well at the Oscars that they redesigned the statue

it looks like this now

mad-max-fury-road-war-boys.png-e1433183081809.jpeg

it's weird that it won both best documentary and best animated short but whatever, Academy

okay but real talk

OSCARS 2016 THREAD HOSTED BY YAYA AND @Goose!

88thoscars_key_host.jpg

this thing is happening again! nominations are out! Mad Max is nominated for things and it won't win and we'll all be really upset!

as always, Goose! and I will be running the Oscar pool. there will be fabulous prizes, hopefully! @Bogey will win, probably!

full list of nominations here:
BEST PICTURE
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire

DIRECTING
Adam McKay - The Big Short
George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

BEST ACTOR, LEAD
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS, LEAD
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

COSTUME DESIGN
Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The Revenant

SOUND EDITING
Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian
The Revenant

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

FILM EDITING
The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

ORIGINAL SONG
Earned It - Fifty Shades of Grey
Manta Ray - Racing Extinction
Simple Song #3 - Youth
Til It Happens To You - The Hunting Ground
Writings On The Wall - Spectre

ORIGINAL SCORE
Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS
Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

HERE IS THE LINK TO SUBMIT YOUR BALLOT

FABULOUS PRIZES!

@Goose!: a 30 dollar gift card for a movie chain!
@YaYa: a copy of the best picture winner on DVD or Bluray!

more to come!

oh, and also

12331380_1524823224501521_1443159155_n.jpg

#prayforleo

YaYa on

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    reserved for overflow ballots

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    As much as I love it, I'm kind of shocked at Mad Max getting any award buzz at all. It never struck me as the kind of movie that the academy (or golden globes or whatever) would bother recognizing

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mad Max better win best director and that's all I have to say about that

Also why are we still praying for Leo, is it just a funny joke at this point, because I mean the dude does good work but if we're talking about someone who's never won an Oscar and probably deserves to have one I would put George Clooney higher on that list

He has one for Best Supporting Actor and that is it, the only other times he's been nominated he's gotten matched against people no one could win against, like Daniel Day Lewis and... well mostly Daniel Day Lewis

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Also why are we still praying for Leo, is it just a funny joke at this point, because I mean the dude does good work but if we're talking about someone who's never won an Oscar and probably deserves to have one I would put George Clooney higher on that list

He has one for Best Supporting Actor and that is it, the only other times he's been nominated he's gotten matched against people no one could win against, like Daniel Day Lewis and... well mostly Daniel Day Lewis
    umm

winning an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor counts as winning an Oscar for acting, dogg

just because it's a smaller part don't mean the award is less

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I am setting an alarm so that I can wake up in time to watch the nominations be announced, because I am a huge dork who gets excited over the prospect of complaining about an awards show.

Already trying to mentally prepare myself for Todd Haynes getting left out in favor of Ridley Scott on the Best Director list.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    BB-8 for best supporting actor and actress.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

umm

winning an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor counts as winning an Oscar for acting, dogg

That has never been my perception, ever

Also this made me look up if Brad Pitt or Matt Damon has ever won an Oscar and neither of them have! (except for Best Screenplay that one time when Matt Damon was a baby)

So again I question why Leo is the one with the meme

Is it because he has been visibly trying really hard to win one for years?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

umm

That has never been my perception, ever

Also this made me look up if Brad Pitt or Matt Damon has ever won an Oscar and neither of them have! (except for Best Screenplay that one time when Matt Damon was a baby)

So again I question why Leo is the one with the meme

Is it because he has been visibly trying really hard to win one for years?

Uh, yeah

That's exactly why

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    When are the noms?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Blake T wrote: »
    When are the noms?

Announced tomorrow morning, 8:30 EST. Should be a live stream.

Edit: Link to the youtube channel.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I will have a Google Form up tomorrow evening to submit your guesses.

Also, I forgot who won last year, did you ever get your prizes?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hope Leo loses because it's very very funny to me how many people get invested in whether or not a straight white millionaire man they'll never meet gets a little gold statue

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    As much as I love it, I'm kind of shocked at Mad Max getting any award buzz at all. It never struck me as the kind of movie that the academy (or golden globes or whatever) would bother recognizing

It ended up being the best reviewed movie of the year.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I hope Leo loses because it's very very funny to me how many people get invested in whether or not a straight white millionaire man they'll never meet gets a little gold statue

Eh, I can give that a lot of leeway, because...
    I hope <person/team> loses because it's very very funny to me how many people get invested in whether or not a <person/group> they'll never meet gets a <award/trophy>

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Did Star Wars come out soon enough to be considered?

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    isn't the cutoff just December 31st?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's calendar year.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    star wars made a bunch of money and was well received critically, which would probably give it a chance at a best picture nomination if, like, fury road wasn't there ready to sit in as a nod to the less..."refined" stuff?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mad Max has already won all of the awards in my heart.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    star wars made a bunch of money and was well received critically, which would probably give it a chance at a best picture nomination if, like, fury road wasn't there ready to sit in as a nod to the less..."refined" stuff?

You can't get much more refined than Fury Road. Less appealing to the fools who make up the Oscar voters?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Mad Max has won the award of my heart, which is, all in all, a pretty valuable reward.

• Options
    yeah, star wars's biggest obstacle was lar
    Couscous wrote: »

You can't get much more refined than Fury Road. Less appealing to the fools who make up the Oscar voters?

well, it's an action movie, is what I'm trying to say

it's a really really good one, and I don't think that should disqualify it, but I'm not an oscar voter, so

• Options
    Mad Max has indeed won all the Oscars because, if they announce any winner other than Mad Max in any category, I can just go "well, they're wrong, it should have gone to Mad Max."

• Options
    Star Wars and Creed might have made the Best Picture list as a courtesy nomination in a different year, but this year has Mad Max and The Martian standing in the way as the token critically liked box office superstars. Hell, The Martian might even win depending on how deep in the tank the academy goes for Ridley Scott.

One interesting thing I read today was that, assuming Star Wars doesn't get the nom, it will be the first time in the history of the Oscars that the new US domestic gross record holder would be left out of the Best Picture race.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I expect there to be be peak WITNESS MEs clicked on any Mad Max win.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Mad Max has indeed won all the Oscars because, if they announce any winner other than Mad Max in any category, I can just go "well, they're wrong, it should have gone to Mad Max."

"Why is everyone mispronouncing Mad Max in such strange yet distinct ways?"

• Options
    (I like Star Wars more than I liked Fury Road but I am 1000% not willing to fight about it)

• Options
    (I like Star Wars more than I liked Fury Road but I am 1000% not willing to fight about it)

HEY LET'S FIGHT

• Options
    I don't wanna

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I would not be surprised at all if Mad Max won something. Director, score possibly, cinematography maybe, definitely costumes, maybe editing.

I bet something beats it for best picture and the acting categories though. Even though I would strongly consider Theron and maybe Hoult.

• Options
    it bums me out but Mad Max is gonna get shut out of acting

Charlize deserves a nom but it won't happen

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Mad Max is absolutely the best movie I saw in 2015

Star Wars is probably my number 2

I still need to see Creed though

• Options
    I'm still bummed The Room still hasn't come out here yet.

It comes out at like the end of January or something.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I'm still bummed The Room still hasn't come out here yet.

It comes out at like the end of January or something.

ahahaha, oh hai mistaken titles

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    You know what award Fury Road should be up for? Best Stunt Work. But it doesn't exist. And it should.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The biggest award for Mad Max should be Production Design, I think

I believe that is where all of the building those ridiculous cars would go

And is probably the closest we've got to stunt stuff

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    You know what award Fury Road should be up for? Best Stunt Work. But it doesn't exist. And it should.

These exist, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_World_Stunt_Awards

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Best Communication of Intent Entirely Through Grunts and Twitches

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I'm fully prepared for Mad Max to get all of the snubs because every time I think the Academy of Motion Picture Sciences might do something cool, they disappoint me.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    mad max didn't win any golden globes right

and that's the weirder award show, why would the stuffier, more serious one award an R rated blockbuster action movie?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258